ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1001 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:04 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
brackdan70 wrote: I’d pay Hauser 4/30 no problem though….

So would the Celtics, problem is Hauser's next contract will be nowhere near that.

Just look at past players similar to Hauser.

Strus, Joe Harris, Trent Jr, Huerter, Bertans etc. All got deals averaging $15 million+ per year.

Fair point….but I do think Hauser is a little lower profile than those guys no? Pritchard money seems closer to me? Maybe I’m off
Sign here
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#1002 » by playa-hater » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:26 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

So would the Celtics, problem is Hauser's next contract will be nowhere near that.

Strus, Joe Harris, Trent Jr, Huerter, Bertans etc. All got deals averaging $15 million+ per year.

Fair point….but I do think Hauser is a little lower profile than those guys no? Pritchard money seems closer to me? Maybe I’m off

I agree with this. All the others were steady starters at some point. Hauser is mainly a backup.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1003 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:31 pm

As far as drafting I am all for BPA. If that’s a Hauser replacement then that’s great.
Hauser has another year with the Cs so we can wait and see. I still think he gets closer to Pritchard money than Strus money but IDK.
I think Walsh could move into that role in a couple years. With a deep team and many returning and decent G league pipeline I don’t mind swinging for the fences on a high rated prospect that under performed in College….Justin Edwards or Kwame Evans fit the bill.
If he slips get Ware!!!
Sign here
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,869

Post#1004 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:32 pm

Remember too that Hauser could theoretically be replaced by Vet players seaking a ring.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1005 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:39 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Remember too that Hauser could theoretically be replaced by Vet players seaking a ring.

Being over the apron limits that a bit right, but yeah.
Can’t sign a guy during the season that made over the mid level the previous season. I think they still could in the offseason though to a minimum deal.
Sign here
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#1006 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:40 pm

For the record I'm not trying to get rid of Sam lol. I just think his time here might end after his current deal. I'd go BPA too, and if that's a shooter to replace Hauser then I can see the reasoning behind it is all.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,969

Post#1007 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:45 pm

shackles10 wrote:For the record I'm not trying to get rid of Sam lol. I just think his time here might end after his current deal. I'd go BPA too, and if that's a shooter to replace Hauser then I can see the reasoning behind it is all.

No one is trying to replace Hauser, it's just a pipe dream to think some team is not going to offer big money. Shooters get paid. Charlotte would easily give Hauser 4 years and $60 million without blinking.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#1008 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:50 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
shackles10 wrote:For the record I'm not trying to get rid of Sam lol. I just think his time here might end after his current deal. I'd go BPA too, and if that's a shooter to replace Hauser then I can see the reasoning behind it is all.

No one is trying to replace Hauser, it's just a pipe dream to think some team is not going to offer big money. Shooters get paid. Charlotte would easily give Hauser 4 years and $60 million without blinking.

True, but sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the hype of a draft pick or potential free agent and be eager to get rid of who's already here. Just saying I'm not in that category. This draft, whether we even pick a player or not, is all about the future and we're not looking for anyone to even contribute next season like so many other teams are. That future might not include Sam. Really I'm only sold on our top 5 being here for more than 2 years (assuming we win a title this June), and the roster beyond that is fluid based on need an opportunity.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1009 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:58 pm

Straying a bit off topic but my last thought on Hauser is I’d offer an extension at Pritchard money as a percentage of the cap which might be up to 4/40 and see how that negotiation goes. If he wants Strus money I’d wait until he is a FA and see where it goes. I love Hauser in his role here…but not that much.
Sign here
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#1010 » by Gant » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:19 pm

If they lose Hauser, Banton looks ready to step right in.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#1011 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:41 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:

Most of those guys were proven NBA starters, who averaged like 15 PPG. A guy like Strus was on the low end of that (11 PPG, started half his team's games..was the 6th man in the other games)

Hauser is a 7th/8th man, getting 8 PPG.

Duncan Robinson was starting in the NBA finals and getting 14 PPG in his 2nd season. Hauser was getting 6 PPG, coming off the bench in his 2nd season (most of the playoffs was glued to the bench) at age 25.

Huerter was getting 12 PPG in his 2nd season at age 21.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1012 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:54 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:No one is trying to replace Hauser, it's just a pipe dream to think some team is not going to offer big money. Shooters get paid.

And often times, they resign with the same team they were on.

Cam Johnson got paid - stayed in Brooklyn
Pritchard got paid - stayed in Boston
Nesmith got paid - stayed in Indiana
Huerter got paid - sign and trade to Sacramento, only because Atlanta was cheap. And thought it was too much overlap to be paying that type of money to both him and Bogdanovic
Duncan Robinson got paid - stayed in Miami
Joe Harris got paid - stayed with Brooklyn
Desmond Bane got paid - stayed in Memphis
Tim Hardaway Jr got paid - stayed in Dallas
Kennard got paid - stayed with the Clippers
Strus got paid - sign and trade to Cleveland, only because Miami wanted to dump a bunch of $ to free up cap space for a Dame trade..and also perhaps because (similar to Huerter situatiuon) they felt it would be too redundant to pay $14 mil or more to so many players with similar strengths/weaknesses (Robinson, Strus, Herro)

Celts17Pride wrote:Charlotte would easily give Hauser 4 years and $60 million without blinking.

Well until that actually happens, it's purely speculation. Nothing is set in stone here.

No team can offer Hauser a contract this summer, except Boston.

I think there's a good chance we get an extension worked out.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,875

Post#1013 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:56 pm

So pay Hauser 8M a year. The luxury tax hit is still outrageous. That's the problem: each million you pay Hauser (or anyone else for that matter) costs you $4M+ in real money.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#1014 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:31 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:No one is trying to replace Hauser, it's just a pipe dream to think some team is not going to offer big money. Shooters get paid.

Huerter got paid - sign and trade to Sacramento, only because Atlanta was cheap. And thought it was too much overlap to be paying that type of money to both him and Bogdanovic
Strus got paid - sign and trade to Cleveland, only because Miami wanted to dump a bunch of $ to free up cap space for a Dame trade..and also perhaps because (similar to Huerter situatiuon) they felt it would be too redundant to pay $14 mil or more to so many players with similar strengths/weaknesses (Robinson, Strus, Herro)

Celts17Pride wrote:Charlotte would easily give Hauser 4 years and $60 million without blinking.

Well until that actually happens, it's purely speculation. Nothing is set in stone here.

All the player's you mentioned got paid well over $7 million per year (the exception being PP) :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the point!
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1015 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:47 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Kennard got paid - stayed with the Clippers

All the player's you mentioned got paid well over $7 million per year (the exception being PP) :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the point!

Ok? I'm not debating a contract amount.

You (and a few others on here) seem to be implying that it's a 100% certainty that Hauser is gone after his current contract runs out.

You seem to be implying that "shooters get paid" some crazy high amount of $ that we won't be able to resign him.

I respectfully disagree.

I think either he signs a team-friendly extension with Boston, or even if he makes a pretty good amount of $ on his extension, still think there's a good chance that the team he extends with is Boston. Since (as I posted) typically these shooters resign with the team they were on.

Also, as I've mentioned before on here, Hauser is under contract for the 24-25 season so it's a bit premature to be looking for his replacement already.

I don't think you really need to draft a replacement for a guy who's still on team, is under contract for another season, is entering his prime and will be in talks with the team this summer on a contract extension. And is a bench player..

And if a Hauser replacement is needed for the 25-26 season, there's a good chance it could be Walsh - why draft another wing to compete with Walsh? anyone we draft now would be further back in their development than Walsh is right now. Or it could be Peterson, or Wieskamp.. Or you could try to acquire some other wing shooter via trade/free agency.

B-Robb doesn't seem too worried about Hauser leaving.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/03/celtics-mailbag-kristaps-porzingis-in-crunch-time-sam-hauser-future.html

He should be able to land a long-term deal for the first big payday of his career. Whether that comes in Boston or not depends a lot on the contracts still left on the roster at that point. If Boston has won a title or two by that point, it may be tough to fit in Hauser. If not, bigger changes may have been made already to this roster to make it more affordable, leaving Hauser in a prime spot to get a bigger opportunity.he should be able to land a long-term deal for the first big payday of his career. Whether that comes in Boston or not depends a lot on the contracts still left on the roster at that point. If Boston has won a title or two by that point, it may be tough to fit in Hauser. If not, bigger changes may have been made already to this roster to make it more affordable, leaving Hauser in a prime spot to get a bigger opportunity.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#1016 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:49 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Hal14 wrote:And often times, they resign with the same team they were on.

That's the point!

Ok? I'm not debating a contract amount.

You (and a few others on here) seem to be implying that it's a 100% certainty that Hauser is gone after his current contract runs out.

You seem to be implying that "shooters get paid" some crazy high amount of $ that we won't be able to resign him.

I respectfully disagree.

I think either he signs a team-friendly extension, or even if he makes a pretty good amount of $ on his extension, still think there's a good chance that the team he extends with is Boston. Since (as I posted) typically these shooters resign with the team they were on.

Also, as I've mentioned before on here, Hauser is under contract for the 24-25 season so it's a bit premature to be looking for his replacement already. And if a Hauser replacement is needed for the 25-26 season, there's a good chance it could be Walsh..

All the Hauser talk stems from the idea that Hauser could be gone after next year so draft a potential replacement. That's it. Which seems like a very good idea.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,209

Post#1017 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:01 am

Not really a concern for the Celtics since he'll be long gone by the time Boston picks but Risacher really needs to play with more force. Obviously he doesn't stand out as much as Wemby did last year but honestly, live, I'm not sure even he looks as good as Coulibaly did late last season.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#1018 » by Dogen » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:01 pm

I'll wager that Brad holds onto the pick to see if someone he wants slides to #30, and if not, then make a trade for future assets. There's just not much space for another developmental player.

I wanna see Begarin back at summer league. He'll be 22 at the start of the season.

Hey you! Can we come together?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1019 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:01 pm

We should get Begarin in the gym all summer and have him work with our development staff, along with Springer and Walsh. And possibly JD - if it seems like we will be giving him a contract..
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#1020 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:06 pm

Dogen wrote:I'll wager that Brad holds onto the pick to see if someone he wants slides to #30, and if not, then make a trade for future assets. There's just not much space for another developmental player.

I wanna see Begarin back at summer league. He'll be 22 at the start of the season.

Wouldn't be shocking if Begarin ends up the Celtics new two-way player next year. I'll be very surprised if Brad Stevens doesn't trade out of this year's draft completely.

Return to Boston Celtics