ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1021 » by Dogen » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:39 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Dogen wrote:I'll wager that Brad holds onto the pick to see if someone he wants slides to #30, and if not, then make a trade for future assets. There's just not much space for another developmental player.

I wanna see Begarin back at summer league. He'll be 22 at the start of the season.

Wouldn't be shocking if Begarin ends up the Celtics new two-way player next year. I'll be very surprised if Brad Stevens doesn't trade out of this year's draft completely.

Brad is really keen on the pipeline from Portland to Maine, and it's working. Queta has graduated now, and there will be 2 Way space available next year.

I'm not convinced that Juhann will be thrilled to be a 2-Way, but it looks like the price of entry to get closer to an NBA championship caliber team. Being with G-League champions will help with the clout, to some extent.

Looking at the roster and pipeline, there's just not much need for a 1st round pick this year (unless a slider that Brad likes).

My wish list is a Brissett replacement, basically a big athletic front court wing that is not such an offensive liability (If drafted: Ighodaro? Klintman?). Brissett is a good dude to have on the bench, but he is so offensively challenged around the basket unless he's cleaning the glass.

Second on the wish list is a big backcourt defender that can fill in for Brown. Maybe Springer will fill that role, we'll see, but Begarin should be in consideration as well. He's big and long. Both he and Springer are shooting-challenged thus far, but 2-Way might be perfect for Begarin to get acclimated to the NBA/Celtics and figure out how to take that next step. He's already built like JB, and showed some signs last summer.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#1022 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:02 pm

Dogen wrote:My wish list is a Brissett replacement, basically a big athletic front court wing that is not such an offensive liability (If drafted: Ighodaro? Klintman?). Brissett is a good dude to have on the bench, but he is so offensively challenged around the basket unless he's cleaning the glass.

I actually think Walsh could end up being that guy.

Brissett: 6'7", 210 lbs, 7'0" wingspan, really good rebounder
Walsh: 6'7", 205 lbs, 7'2" wingspan, has a pretty impressive rebound % in the g league this season..and in some of the mins he's gotten with Boston this season, he's been impressive on the glass then too

With that being said, Brissett has a player option for next season which he is likely to exercise. So he'll likely be on the team next season..Walsh could challenge him for those minutes, though..

I think:
short term - Walsh could challenge for Brissett's mins.
Long term - (If Hauser doesn't stick around), Walsh could challenge to be that first wing off the bench..if Walsh keeps developing nicely, of course..and this wouldn't be till the 25-26 season at the earliest since Hauser is under contract for next season

As for Begarin, idk. I'm not really expecting him to be brought over anytime soon but you never know.

Springer I think they want to try and develop him and see if he can be kind of like what Brissett was this season but s a guard (rather than a forward)..meaning Springer could get spot minutes (especially when guys are out injured/resting), come in for a few mins off the bench here and there to give an energy spark, hustle, play tough D, crash the offensive boards, make some cuts on offense, force some turnovers on D, maybe get a tip-in or easy bucket in transition and come out..Springer of course (at age 21) has the upside to do even more than that if he can develop more offensively in terms of shooting, driving and playmaking..but I think the vision (if Springer works out) is:

1st guard off the bench: Pritchard (shooting, ball handling, plays the 1 and the 2)
2nd guard off the bench: Springer (defense, hustle, energy, athleticism..plays the 2 and maybe some 3)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#1023 » by BK_2020 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:44 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Dogen wrote:My wish list is a Brissett replacement, basically a big athletic front court wing that is not such an offensive liability (If drafted: Ighodaro? Klintman?). Brissett is a good dude to have on the bench, but he is so offensively challenged around the basket unless he's cleaning the glass.

I actually think Walsh could end up being that guy.

Brissett: 6'7", 210 lbs, 7'0" wingspan, really good rebounder
Walsh: 6'7", 205 lbs, 7'2" wingspan, has a pretty impressive rebound % in the g league this season..and in some of the mins he's gotten with Boston this season, he's been impressive on the glass then too

With that being said, Brissett has a player option for next season which he is likely to exercise. So he'll likely be on the team next season..Walsh could challenge him for those minutes, though..

I think:
short term - Walsh could challenge for Brissett's mins.
Long term - (If Hauser doesn't stick around), Walsh could challenge to be that first wing off the bench..if Walsh keeps developing nicely, of course..and this wouldn't be till the 25-26 season at the earliest since Hauser is under contract for next season

As for Begarin, idk. I'm not really expecting him to be brought over anytime soon but you never know.

Springer I think they want to try and develop him and see if he can be kind of like what Brissett was this season but s a guard (rather than a forward)..meaning Springer could get spot minutes (especially when guys are out injured/resting), come in for a few mins off the bench here and there to give an energy spark, hustle, play tough D, crash the offensive boards, make some cuts on offense, force some turnovers on D, maybe get a tip-in or easy bucket in transition and come out..Springer of course (at age 21) has the upside to do even more than that if he can develop more offensively in terms of shooting, driving and playmaking..but I think the vision (if Springer works out) is:

1st guard off the bench: Pritchard (shooting, ball handling, plays the 1 and the 2)
2nd guard off the bench: Springer (defense, hustle, energy, athleticism..plays the 2 and maybe some 3)

Walsh looks a couple years away at least. He's not there mentally or physically defensively, and can't finish anything inside.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1024 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:25 pm

My top 60 prospects, as of now.

Rank Player
1 Rob Dillingham
2 Ron Holland
3 Alexandre Sarr
4 Matas Buzelis
5 Stephon Castle
6 Zaccharie Risacher
7 Donovan Clingan
8 Reed Sheppard
9 Dalton Knecht
10 Devin Carter
11 Nikola Topic
12 Kyle Filipowski
13 Cody Williams
14 Alex Karaban
15 Jamir Watkins
16 Tyler Kolek
17 Jaylon Tyson
18 Tristan Da Silva
19 Isaiah Collier
20 Tyler Smith
21 Yves Missi
22 Baylor Scheierman
23 Kevin McCullar Jr
24 Kel'el Ware
25 Johnny Furphy
26 Jared McCain
27 Hunter Sallis
28 Ryan Dunn
29 Zach Edey
30 Reece Beekman
31 Tristen Newton
32 Daron Holmes
33 Ja’Kobe Walter
34 Carlton Carrington
35 Kyshawn George
36 Coleman Hawkins
37 Nique Clifford
38 Pelle Larsson
39 Jalen Bridges
40 Jaxson Robinson
41 Johni Broome
42 PJ Hall
43 Keshad Johnson
44 Trey Alexander
45 Zvonimir Ivisic
46 Keshon Gilbert
47 Dillon Jones
48 Juan Nunez
49 Tidjane Salaun
50 Spencer Jones
51 Milan Momcilovic
52 Oso Ighodaro
53 Adem Bona
54 Jaylen Wells
55 Norchad Omier
56 Kam Jones
57 Antonio Reeves
58 KJ Simpson
59 Bobi Klintman
60 Jamal Shead
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#1025 » by ddb » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:05 pm

Draft wise, if Brad keeps the pick, I'd like to see him find a Hauser replacement. Fact of the matter is we have 1 more season with Sam Hauser in green. He's too good and an NBA team will give him his payday. Boston cannot possibly keep all of their guys beyond next season and finding a role playing sharpshooter is not too difficult.

Few candidates:

Alex Karaban-Uconn
Tucker Devries- Drake
Johnny Furphy- Kansas
Pelle Larsson- Arizona
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1026 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:02 pm

ddb wrote: Fact of the matter is we have 1 more season with Sam Hauser in green. He's too good and an NBA team will give him his payday.

That's literally an opinion - not a fact.

ddb wrote: Boston cannot possibly keep all of their guys beyond next season

Bird rights indicate that we can. We have bird rights on each of our top 8 guys.

ddb wrote: finding a role playing sharpshooter is not too difficult.

If it's so easy to find, if role playing sharpshooters are a commodity that grows on trees (like you suggest), wouldn't that mean they are less valuable and therefore some other team in the league is less likely to offer Hauser some crazy high amount of $ that Boston is unwilling to match?

ddb wrote:Few candidates:

Alex Karaban-Uconn
Tucker Devries- Drake
Johnny Furphy- Kansas
Pelle Larsson- Arizona

Rumor has it, Karaban is returning to UConn for another season. DeVries is not entering the draft this year - he's transferring to West Virginia where his dad just took the head coaching job (his dad was previously coaching him at Drake)

Furphy and Larsson are certainly options to have on the radar. I think Furphy is likely gone before our pick - espeically since Brad likely trades out of the 1st round.

I like Larsson, though - and he'll likely go in the 2nd round. Although I believe he has another year of college eligibility so there's a chance returns to school for one more year..

Wouldn't hate it one bit if we snag Larsson..
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#1027 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:36 am

I think we have too many good young players already. Trade 30 and our second for 3 seconds in 2026.
Sign here
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#1028 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:02 pm

Hal14 wrote:My top 60 prospects, as of now.

Rank Player
1 Rob Dillingham
2 Ron Holland
3 Alexandre Sarr
4 Matas Buzelis
5 Stephon Castle
6 Zaccharie Risacher
7 Donovan Clingan
8 Reed Sheppard
9 Dalton Knecht
10 Devin Carter
11 Nikola Topic
12 Kyle Filipowski
13 Cody Williams
14 Alex Karaban
15 Jamir Watkins
16 Tyler Kolek
17 Jaylon Tyson
18 Tristan Da Silva
19 Isaiah Collier
20 Tyler Smith
21 Yves Missi
22 Baylor Scheierman
23 Kevin McCullar Jr
24 Kel'el Ware
25 Johnny Furphy
26 Jared McCain
27 Hunter Sallis
28 Ryan Dunn
29 Zach Edey
30 Reece Beekman
31 Tristen Newton
32 Daron Holmes
33 Ja’Kobe Walter
34 Carlton Carrington
35 Kyshawn George
36 Coleman Hawkins
37 Nique Clifford
38 Pelle Larsson
39 Jalen Bridges
40 Jaxson Robinson
41 Johni Broome
42 PJ Hall
43 Keshad Johnson
44 Trey Alexander
45 Zvonimir Ivisic
46 Keshon Gilbert
47 Dillon Jones
48 Juan Nunez
49 Tidjane Salaun
50 Spencer Jones
51 Milan Momcilovic
52 Oso Ighodaro
53 Adem Bona
54 Jaylen Wells
55 Norchad Omier
56 Kam Jones
57 Antonio Reeves
58 KJ Simpson
59 Bobi Klintman
60 Jamal Shead

No Terrance Shannon?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1029 » by Hal14 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:44 am

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Hal14 wrote:My top 60 prospects, as of now.

Rank Player
1 Rob Dillingham
2 Ron Holland
3 Alexandre Sarr
4 Matas Buzelis
5 Stephon Castle
6 Zaccharie Risacher
7 Donovan Clingan
8 Reed Sheppard
9 Dalton Knecht
10 Devin Carter
11 Nikola Topic
12 Kyle Filipowski
13 Cody Williams
14 Alex Karaban
15 Jamir Watkins
16 Tyler Kolek
17 Jaylon Tyson
18 Tristan Da Silva
19 Isaiah Collier
20 Tyler Smith
21 Yves Missi
22 Baylor Scheierman
23 Kevin McCullar Jr
24 Kel'el Ware
25 Johnny Furphy
26 Jared McCain
27 Hunter Sallis
28 Ryan Dunn
29 Zach Edey
30 Reece Beekman
31 Tristen Newton
32 Daron Holmes
33 Ja’Kobe Walter
34 Carlton Carrington
35 Kyshawn George
36 Coleman Hawkins
37 Nique Clifford
38 Pelle Larsson
39 Jalen Bridges
40 Jaxson Robinson
41 Johni Broome
42 PJ Hall
43 Keshad Johnson
44 Trey Alexander
45 Zvonimir Ivisic
46 Keshon Gilbert
47 Dillon Jones
48 Juan Nunez
49 Tidjane Salaun
50 Spencer Jones
51 Milan Momcilovic
52 Oso Ighodaro
53 Adem Bona
54 Jaylen Wells
55 Norchad Omier
56 Kam Jones
57 Antonio Reeves
58 KJ Simpson
59 Bobi Klintman
60 Jamal Shead

No Terrance Shannon?

He'd be in there (probably somewhere in the 28-42 range) if not for the rape charges.

Just think that with the KPJ situation, Miles bridges..Udoka..NBA teams seem to be increasingly stern on players/coaches who behave badly off the court..especially when their off court wrongdoings involve women.

Gorman said it about Grant (not that Grant did anything bad to a woman..) that you can let it go if a guy has off court issues if he's a star (like Kyrie, for example) but if a guy has off court issues and is the 8th man, he's replaceable.

Well, Shannon hasn't even been drafted yet..if he's drafted, he might be like a 14th/15th man, so it's definitely not worth the risk if he has off court issues.

Emoni Bates had some off court concerns last year and was a late 2nd round pick..but his off court issue thing was gun possession (not rape) and it got sorted out for Bates way before the draft. Shannon has trial coming up in May..
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,252

Post#1030 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:46 am

Man, Dallas’ late run screwed our 2nd.
We should trade 30 to POR for 33 and 40. They have so many picks they need to consolidate. We get off the guaranteed 1st round salary and can 2-way whoever we pick.
Trade 40 and 54 for future picks if you can.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1031 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:15 pm

If there's someone there at 30 who Brad and company *really* likes (and doesn't think they will fall much further in the draft) I think they'll take them.

But I think the more likely scenario is trading the pick..and just selecting someone in the 2nd round..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1032 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:01 pm

Updates on some of the players who have been discussed in here.

Tyrese Proctor - returning to Duke next season

Zvonimir Ivisic - returning to college for another year - transferring from Kentucky to Arkansas

Alex Karaban - no official announcement that I have seen, but he's made a couple of hints that he's returning to Uconn.

Ulrich Chomche - declared for draft. Still could end up withdrawing his name prior to the deadline, though..but he's an interesting upside swing big man prospect who Boston could potentially have interest in

Norchad Omier - declared for draft and is forgoing his remaining college eligibility - I kind of like him as a big man target for us in the mid to late 2nd round..yes he's only 6'7" but he plays bigger than that..he's a sturdy 254 lbs, 6'11" wingspan, plays tough, physical, can rebound like a mf'er. And can shoot a bit too.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,238

Post#1033 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:06 pm

I'm officially hitching my wagon to the Johnny Furphy bandwagon. He's the Aron Bayne replacement we've been missing for the last couple of years.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1034 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:I'm officially hitching my wagon to the Johnny Furphy bandwagon. He's the Aron Bayne replacement we've been missing for the last couple of years.

haha that's fair. I can see how an Aussie would want Furphy on the team.

He's a pretty good player, too. PLays hard, good motor. Decent athleticism, can shoot.

I think he'll probably be off the board by the time we pick (especially if we trade pick 30, which I think we will) but you never know..
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,875

Post#1035 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:40 am

Teams over the 2nd apron won't likely be trading away too many picks. The draft may be their best path to improve.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Dogen
RealGM

Post#1036 » by Dogen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:28 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:I'm officially hitching my wagon to the Johnny Furphy bandwagon. He's the Aron Bayne replacement we've been missing for the last couple of years.

Baynes replacement, but like, totally different player except for the Australia connection. The Celtics should have an Aussie on the team tho. He's an interesting prospect; will need to hit the weight room but could be that highly anticipated "Hauser replacement" in 2 years.

I'm seeing Furphy going early to mid 20's in mocks, so better start pitching him to Brad.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#1037 » by Dogen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:42 am

Hal14 wrote:Updates on some of the players who have been discussed in here.

Tyrese Proctor - returning to Duke next season

Zvonimir Ivisic - returning to college for another year - transferring from Kentucky to Arkansas

Alex Karaban - no official announcement that I have seen, but he's made a couple of hints that he's returning to Uconn.

Ulrich Chomche - declared for draft. Still could end up withdrawing his name prior to the deadline, though..but he's an interesting upside swing big man prospect who Boston could potentially have interest in

Norchad Omier - declared for draft and is forgoing his remaining college eligibility - I kind of like him as a big man target for us in the mid to late 2nd round..yes he's only 6'7" but he plays bigger than that..he's a sturdy 254 lbs, 6'11" wingspan, plays tough, physical, can rebound like a mf'er. And can shoot a bit too.

Karaban could be a get in second round. Not bad idea to get another shooter. Svi replacement.

Chomche has the upside; he's really young and seems like the type Brad would go after once he has a couple years of pro under his belt. And the team has Queta already.

Omier is 22 and already has the NBA body packed and ready to go. Might be a good value as a strong, wide body PF to bring off the bench, give JT some rest in the regular season.

The roster is already crowded. I expect Kornet will be offered a deal, but not so sure about Davison, Peterson, Svi.

If the team wants to bring in a couple of young players on affordable contracts to compliment the additions of Tillman and Springer, trading back out of the first round and snagging, say, Karaban and Omier in the second, is pretty solid.

Edit: I see Hal has Karaban at #14 on his board. Most mocks have him in the second round, but maybe he'll get a UConn tourney boost.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,238

Post#1038 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:47 am

Dogen wrote:

Baynes replacement, but like, totally different player except for the Australia connection. The Celtics should have an Aussie on the team tho. He's an interesting prospect; will need to hit the weight room but could be that highly anticipated "Hauser replacement" in 2 years.

I'm seeing Furphy going early to mid 20's in mocks, so better start pitching him to Brad.

Purely talking about the Aussie connection, and being a complete homer...lol
I like Furphy, but if I'm going to be serious, I wouldn't be trading up...just hoping he slips.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#1039 » by cl2117 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:27 am

brackdan70 wrote:I think we have too many good young players already. Trade 30 and our second for 3 seconds in 2026.

The tricky part is that we're going to need to develop our own in-house talent as a 2nd apron team and 2nd round guys (and late first rounders) are going to need time before they can make an impact. We've gotta start planting seeds now if we want to reap the rewards down the line.

djFan71 wrote:Man, Dallas’ late run screwed our 2nd.
We should trade 30 to POR for 33 and 40. They have so many picks they need to consolidate. We get off the guaranteed 1st round salary and can 2-way whoever we pick.
Trade 40 and 54 for future picks if you can.

100% on board with this approach. If we can grab another interesting prospect in the 30's while adding 1-2 future 2nds for the future, that's as good as you can hope for.

2nd rounders are fast becoming the preferred currency for low-level deals like with Springer/Tillman. Brad would be wise to keep several of those in stock to be able to make moves. At the same time we should be taking some swings of our own in the hopes we get lucky and hit big.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,526

Post#1040 » by snowman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:59 am

I don't expect Brad to use the #30 pick this season, due to it being a guaranteed contract that can't be used on a 2-way. Instead I expect him to trade it for a couple of 2nd rounders, one this season and one next. Spurs at #35 and #46, or the Trailblazers at #33 and #40 are good trade partners. Trailblazers already have 2 1sts this season, doubt they will want a third, but Spurs only have one. So, i would think our #30 to the Spurs for their #46 and a 2nd rounder next year. (Their #35 would be better but doubt we could get it.)

We could then use #46 and our #54 to restock our 2-way players. (I think JD Davison could be signed to a regular contract this off season because we can't resign him to a 2-way contract after being on one for us for two years already. If I'm not mistaken it's sign him or lose him.) I think it comes down to Svi, Davison or someone else entirely for the 15th spot.

I don't see Begarin or Madar coming over at all with no shot at playing time except in Maine.

Return to Boston Celtics