ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#941 » by playa-hater » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:22 am

The more I start studying these prospects the more I think these are the most 2 years away from being 2 years away players in years. I am not buying Edey as a mid-lottery pick like some say.

Now I still say there will be some hidden Gems. But there is so much talent in the NBA with not many roster spaces. I really hope the NBA does expand sooner than later.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,079

Post#942 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#943 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:17 pm

playa-hater wrote:The more I start studying these prospects the more I think these are the most 2 years away from being 2 years away players in years. I am not buying Edey as a mid-lottery pick like some say.

Now I still say there will be some hidden Gems. But there is so much talent in the NBA with not many roster spaces. I really hope the NBA does expand sooner than later.

Agreed with this . There's so much talent in the NBA (and in overseas leagues) and not enough roster spots/minutes to go around.

Need at least 2 expansion teams. Rumor has it, 2 new teams are gonna be added in the next few years..Possibly Seattle and Vegas.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#944 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:37 pm

playa-hater wrote:The more I start studying these prospects the more I think these are the most 2 years away from being 2 years away players in years. I am not buying Edey as a mid-lottery pick like some say.

Yeah I agree. Hard to get excited about this draft. I like some of the big fellas at pick 30 or second round but I don’t see any players that are really “lottery talents” compared to other drafts. I am sure some guys will turn out better than expected and stick in the league. I think Brad and company know how to draft the second round.
Sign here
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#945 » by 165bows » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:23 pm

Draft Picks In 20s & 30s Could Have Increased Value With Two-Day Event

Brad Stevens eyeball memes intensify.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#946 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:12 pm

165bows wrote:

This draft 2024 to me looks like weak at the top but with a lot of potential NBA guys spread through out.

25 and 26 seem like much stronger drafts though between USA classes and better international prospects. Can Brad find a sucker to say trade 30 this year, and our 25’ pick to a fringe playoff team for their 25 or 26 pick….hope for something in the teens in one of those drafts?
Sign here
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#947 » by shackles10 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:35 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
165bows wrote:

This draft 2024 to me looks like weak at the top but with a lot of potential NBA guys spread through out.

25 and 26 seem like much stronger drafts though between USA classes and better international prospects. Can Brad find a sucker to say trade 30 this year, and our 25’ pick to a fringe playoff team for their 25 or 26 pick….hope for something in the teens in one of those drafts?

Billy King isn't walking through that door lol
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#948 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:25 pm

shackles10 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
165bows wrote:

Billy King isn't walking through that door lol

Damn!!!! Chicago GM….I forget his name but maybe there is a chance.
Sign here
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,209

Post#949 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:52 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
165bows wrote:

No GM will ever be able to sell to their fan base trading away a future first for the #30 pick (and what's going to be the #25-30 pick next year).

I think it's more likely than you can find someone to overpay with a bunch of seconds to get the last chance to jump ahead of everyone else to secure the prospect they want before everybody heads to recess and regroups for day 2 of the draft.

I also don't think the play is to push the picks too far into the future. If you get a pick in a couple years then you have to wait another 2/3 years before the player selected with it is ready for real playoffs minutes and by then everyone in the Celtics core (outside Tatum) will be in their mid/late thirties so Boston will have probably aged out of contention already*.

*Assuming Stevens doesn't pull more magic to turn players from that aging core into younger players of a similar caliber by then.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#950 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:27 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
165bows wrote:

No GM will ever be able to sell to their fan base trading away a future first for the #30 pick (and what's going to be the #25-30 pick next year).

I think it's more likely than you can find someone to overpay with a bunch of seconds to get the last chance to jump ahead of everyone else to secure the prospect they want before everybody heads to recess and regroups for day 2 of the draft.

I also don't think the play is to push the picks too far into the future. If you get a pick in a couple years then you have to wait another 2/3 years before the player selected with it is ready for real playoffs minutes and by then everyone in the Celtics core (outside Tatum) will be in their mid/late thirties so Boston will have probably aged out of contention already*.

*Assuming Stevens doesn't pull more magic to turn players from that aging core into younger players of a similar caliber by then.

Probably true in most cases. We did manage to trade Smart for Porzingas and 2 firsts…one of which is going to be pretty decent. I know that’s not the same. There could be a team looking for quantity over a slight upgrade in possible quality.
Sign here
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#951 » by 165bows » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:12 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:This draft 2024 to me looks like weak at the top but with a lot of potential NBA guys spread through out.

Probably true in most cases. We did manage to trade Smart for Porzingas and 2 firsts…one of which is going to be pretty decent. I know that’s not the same. There could be a team looking for quantity over a slight upgrade in possible quality.

Yeah realistically the way I could see getting more first upside is trade it for one of these outstanding first round picks that likely conveys as second round picks. Ie taking a sliver of upside for the likely downside, but it would also need someone on the other side that really wanted to crow a tiny bit about getting a first round pick.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#952 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:24 am

Wouldn't hate it one bit if we drafted Coleman Hawkins.

He's quick. Good mobility for a bigger guy..can play for the 4 or the small ball 5 spot. Can shoot it pretty well. Can handle the ball, grab and go. Has some defensive versatility which Brad really likes.

He plays with a toughness, a fearlessness. He's got some size.

And he's a little bit further along in his development so wouldn't need a lot of hand holding or development..

Brad/Joe also like bigs who can pass the ball well, make some good reads..Hawkins checks that box as well.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#953 » by 165bows » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:41 pm

Not that they have inside info or anything, but tankathon has Oso Ighodaro at 30 to Boston. Thinking it over I don't hate that pick idea.

Pretty advanced feel for the game for a rookie coming in, would be sort of a poor man's Draymond Green-type of player (without the headaches) at the 4/5. Hat tip to zoya's video with the Lebron/Redick interview about how hard that was to defend with Green at the top of the lane with the man advantage.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#954 » by playa-hater » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:19 am

165bows wrote:Not that they have inside info or anything, but tankathon has Oso Ighodaro at 30 to Boston. Thinking it over I don't hate that pick idea.

Pretty advanced feel for the game for a rookie coming in, would be sort of a poor man's Draymond Green-type of player (without the headaches) at the 4/5. Hat tip to zoya's video with the Lebron/Redick interview about how hard that was to defend with Green at the top of the lane with the man advantage.

Checked him out the minute I read this. Intrigued.. But is he even 6'9?? I actually prefer seasoned older players (senior) over teenagers (freshman) in most cases.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,252

Post#955 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:45 am

165bows wrote:Not that they have inside info or anything, but tankathon has Oso Ighodaro at 30 to Boston. Thinking it over I don't hate that pick idea.

Ringer has us taking him too as of today.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#956 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:55 am

I'm kinda liking what I'm reading about Hunter Sallis. Haven't actually watched him yet, lol, but 6'5" efficient scorer, good wingspan, active D, etc.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,150

Post#957 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:56 am

So, Brad is going to pick someone I won't see mentioned in here, but if y'all do the work I'll look at the videos! I'm still mad about the time spent on giannis, hali and bane!!! I was in!!! The only one I was hype for and glad we didn't do is fultz (no disrespek), I watched a lot of his videos! :lol:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#958 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:25 am

Shak_Celts wrote:So, Brad is going to pick someone I won't see mentioned in here, but if y'all do the work I'll look at the videos! I'm still mad about the time spent on giannis, hali and bane!!! I was in!!! The only one I was hype for and glad we didn't do is fultz (no disrespek), I watched a lot of his videos! :lol:

I had Walsh as my guy by this time last year.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,150

Post#959 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:39 am

djFan71 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:So, Brad is going to pick someone I won't see mentioned in here, but if y'all do the work I'll look at the videos! I'm still mad about the time spent on giannis, hali and bane!!! I was in!!! The only one I was hype for and glad we didn't do is fultz (no disrespek), I watched a lot of his videos! :lol:

What you're saying is I should only listen to you?! Got it! Who is our pick this year? :lol: :lol:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#960 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:44 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

What you're saying is I should only listen to you?! Got it! Who is our pick this year? :lol: :lol:

Yup, of course. And….. I actually have no idea yet this year, lol. Nobody’s quite jumping out like Jordan.

Return to Boston Celtics