ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#961 » by 165bows » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:17 am

playa-hater wrote:
165bows wrote:Not that they have inside info or anything, but tankathon has Oso Ighodaro at 30 to Boston. Thinking it over I don't hate that pick idea.

Pretty advanced feel for the game for a rookie coming in, would be sort of a poor man's Draymond Green-type of player (without the headaches) at the 4/5. Hat tip to zoya's video with the Lebron/Redick interview about how hard that was to defend with Green at the top of the lane with the man advantage.

Checked him out the minute I read this. Intrigued.. But is he even 6'9?? I actually prefer seasoned older players (senior) over teenagers (freshman) in most cases.

Yeah idk about that part - I’ve seen him listed at 6’9” and also 6’11”, not sure which is the case.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#962 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:40 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
165bows wrote:
Brad Stevens eyeball memes intensify.

This draft 2024 to me looks like weak at the top but with a lot of potential NBA guys spread through out.

25 and 26 seem like much stronger drafts though between USA classes and better international prospects. Can Brad find a sucker to say trade 30 this year, and our 25’ pick to a fringe playoff team for their 25 or 26 pick….hope for something in the teens in one of those drafts?

No GM will ever be able to sell to their fan base trading away a future first for the #30 pick (and what's going to be the #25-30 pick next year).

I think it's more likely than you can find someone to overpay with a bunch of seconds to get the last chance to jump ahead of everyone else to secure the prospect they want before everybody heads to recess and regroups for day 2 of the draft.

I also don't think the play is to push the picks too far into the future. If you get a pick in a couple years then you have to wait another 2/3 years before the player selected with it is ready for real playoffs minutes and by then everyone in the Celtics core (outside Tatum) will be in their mid/late thirties so Boston will have probably aged out of contention already*.

*Assuming Stevens doesn't pull more magic to turn players from that aging core into younger players of a similar caliber by then.

I was actually hoping the opposite would happen. There are plenty of teams with multiple firsts. I wonder how difficult it would be to trade up a bit to get one of the bigs that projects to land in the middle of the first. Ware or Missi, still wondering if Chomche will go to school or not.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#963 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:59 pm

djFan71 wrote:I'm kinda liking what I'm reading about Hunter Sallis. Haven't actually watched him yet, lol, but 6'5" efficient scorer, good wingspan, active D, etc.

A few thoughts on him:

1) He can shoot. That's always a plus for the Celtics
2) Massive improve this season as a shooter and really in every category which tells me he wants it - he's a hard worker ti improve so much in a year
3) Reminds me a bit of Lonnie Walker IV (size, athleticism, skill set, etc.) which is probably a plus, since many C's fans really wanted us to get him at the trade deadline..and rumor has it, Brad tried to get him. Seems like the nets just didn't want to give him up, or their asking price was too high. Well, maybe Boston gets Sallis in the 30-40 range..

I would prefer we get a PF/C type but wouldn't hate it if we got Sallis. Honestly I think anywhere in the 24-34 range is good value for him..so if we get him in like the 30-40 range, it's a solid pick..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#964 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:09 pm

165bows wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
165bows wrote:Not that they have inside info or anything, but tankathon has Oso Ighodaro at 30 to Boston. Thinking it over I don't hate that pick idea.

Pretty advanced feel for the game for a rookie coming in, would be sort of a poor man's Draymond Green-type of player (without the headaches) at the 4/5. Hat tip to zoya's video with the Lebron/Redick interview about how hard that was to defend with Green at the top of the lane with the man advantage.

Checked him out the minute I read this. Intrigued.. But is he even 6'9?? I actually prefer seasoned older players (senior) over teenagers (freshman) in most cases.

Yeah idk about that part - I’ve seen him listed at 6’9” and also 6’11”, not sure which is the case.

Ighodaro was listd at 6'9" on Marquette's roster last season..and this season they changed it to 6'11". On film I think he looks more like 6'10". We'll find out for sure at the combine. This season all plays have to measure at the combine.

With that being said, he does have another year of college eligibility left. It wouldn't shock me if he returns to college for 1 more year. Especially since he's not a lock to go in the 1st round..he's not a great rebounder or rim protector, he doesn't shoot any 3's. His size is decent but not great.

But I could also see him going pro this year because his teammate (and roommate) Tyler Kolek is probably going pro..Ighodaro scored basically all of his points in his college career of assists by Kolek..so he might be thinking that if Kolek goes pro, he might not have a great season next year if he plays at Marquette without Kolek feeding him the ball..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,979

Post#965 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:26 pm

If I was the Boston Celtics GM, I would be drafting Bronny James with the 30th pick in the draft then immediately trade him to the Lakers for two future first round picks.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,254

Post#966 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:08 pm

Hal14 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I'm kinda liking what I'm reading about Hunter Sallis. Haven't actually watched him yet, lol, but 6'5" efficient scorer, good wingspan, active D, etc.

A few thoughts on him:

1) He can shoot. That's always a plus for the Celtics
2) Massive improve this season as a shooter and really in every category which tells me he wants it - he's a hard worker ti improve so much in a year
3) Reminds me a bit of Lonnie Walker IV (size, athleticism, skill set, etc.) which is probably a plus, since many C's fans really wanted us to get him at the trade deadline..and rumor has it, Brad tried to get him. Seems like the nets just didn't want to give him up, or their asking price was too high. Well, maybe Boston gets Sallis in the 30-40 range..

I would prefer we get a PF/C type but wouldn't hate it if we got Sallis. Honestly I think anywhere in the 24-34 range is good value for him..so if we get him in like the 30-40 range, it's a solid pick..

I lean more big wing than true big as first choice - but I'm not seeing much out there that fits the bill for me yet. I still have thoughts of marrying Dunn and hoping I can change him, lol, but he probably doesn't even last to our pick.

A combo guard is kinda my 2nd position of need. I tend to fall in love with the wings, but we have that covered with Walsh and Hauser. Ultimately, whoever we pick isn't seeing the floor for a year or more, so best available is probably the way to go and I'll start drooling over them again at some point.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,986

Post#967 » by jfs1000d » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:30 pm

This draft has no stars, but a bunch of rotation nba players. I think the Celtics should trade down again like last year and get a kid who came out too early.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,335

Post#968 » by brackdan70 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 9:42 pm

jfs1000d wrote:This draft has no stars, but a bunch of rotation nba players. I think the Celtics should trade down again like last year and get a kid who came out too early.

I kind of like this template as well. Davison, Walsh, and…..Kwame Evans ? Or ?
Sign here
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,950

Post#969 » by BK_2020 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:56 am

Will Bronny be there when we pick in the 60th spot
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,335

Post#970 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:29 am

BK_2020 wrote:Will Bronny be there when we pick in the 60th spot

I mean he should be, but someone will draft him thinking they can hold him ransom.
Some whacked ****.
Sign here
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#971 » by 165bows » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:52 am

Is it just me or does Antonio Reeves have some Tyrese Maxey-style upside to him? Not saying he will be that good but could see a lot of similarities between them.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#972 » by shackles10 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:45 pm

165bows wrote:Is it just me or does Antonio Reeves have some Tyrese Maxey-style upside to him? Not saying he will be that good but could see a lot of similarities between them.

Not as quick is biggest difference but similar shooters with Reeves being a little taller. Maxey more of a playmaker too but I’m liking Reeves as a Hauser replacement when he gets too expensive.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,610

Post#973 » by playa-hater » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:02 am

Celts17Pride wrote:If I was the Boston Celtics GM, I would be drafting Bronny James with the 30th pick in the draft then immediately trade him to the Lakers for two future first round picks.

When I first read this post yesterday I was like ha ha this is a good one..

But the more I think about it the more I say we draft Bronny :evil: James just to **** with Lebron and the lakers.. we probably would be able to get something for him.. :nod:
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#974 » by playa-hater » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:34 am

I haven't made comparisons to other years yet.But it seems like this draft is more center heavy in the first round than in previous years.

One of the mocks had us taking bobbi Klintman.. I could have sworn last year.When he was considering coming out, they had him listed at 6:10. Now he's only 6'8??
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#975 » by playa-hater » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:53 am

With some players I am able to form an opinion quickly on whether I like or do not..

But one player I just can't seem to figure out where or how high I like him is Clingan.

I thought he was a little bit more modern n.B.A center but he looks totally old school.. Has decent straight speed.But I don't see him being Relatively skilled or fluid to where he may be drafted. But it seems he has a good chance to go lottery.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#976 » by Hal14 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:05 am

playa-hater wrote:With some players I am able to form an opinion quickly on whether I like or do not..

But one player I just can't seem to figure out where or how high I like him is Clingan.

I thought he was a little bit more modern n.B.A center but he looks totally old school.. Has decent straight speed.But I don't see him being Relatively skilled or fluid to where he may be drafted. But it seems he has a good chance to go lottery.

Quite a few people having Clingan going in the top 5.

I'm not sure I buy him that high.

He's like a Walker Kessler/Zubac/Poeltl type..
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#977 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:45 am

Alex Karaban: Hauser replacement.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#978 » by 165bows » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:28 am

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:With some players I am able to form an opinion quickly on whether I like or do not..

Quite a few people having Clingan going in the top 5.

I'm not sure I buy him that high.

He's like a Walker Kessler/Zubac/Poeltl type..

Basically blocked as many shots as he did miss field goals through the tournament so far. That’s a pretty crazy stat.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,215

Post#979 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:02 pm

playa-hater wrote:I haven't made comparisons to other years yet.But it seems like this draft is more center heavy in the first round than in previous years.

One of the mocks had us taking bobbi Klintman.. I could have sworn last year.When he was considering coming out, they had him listed at 6:10. Now he's only 6'8??

I've heard of people shrinking under pressure before but never quite so literally :lol:
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#980 » by 165bows » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:09 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Alex Karaban: Hauser replacement.

Still like him as a pick for this team.

Great shooter and they in all likelihood will pick someone willing to accept a two way deal rather than expecting to be on a rostered contract.

Return to Boston Celtics