ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#981 » by Hal14 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:32 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Alex Karaban: Hauser replacement.

We don't need a Hauser replacement. He's signed through 24-25 season and likely getting extended this summer.

Fits like a glove on this team - I highly doubt he's going anywhere.

Also, Karaban is likely off the board before we draft a guy..he's a good player, though..I certainly wouldn't hate it if we get him..but I don't really see it happening.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#982 » by shackles10 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:51 pm

I think Hauser will be too expensive. He’s played well enough he doesn’t have to take an early extension for worry of what might happen next season. So when he’s up next off season someone will offer more imo. If we’re going to have a cap casualty I’d rather it be our 8th man at least.

Plus after we win it all this off season we’ll have more ring chaser options than normal :wink:
Hal14
RealGM

Post#983 » by Hal14 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:23 pm

shackles10 wrote:I think Hauser will be too expensive. He’s played well enough he doesn’t have to take an early extension for worry of what might happen next season. So when he’s up next off season someone will offer more imo. If we’re going to have a cap casualty I’d rather it be our 8th man at least.

Plus after we win it all this off season we’ll have more ring chaser options than normal :wink:

I just don't see why would Pritchard extend here but people are so worried about Hauser leaving.

If another team offers him a bunch of $, we can just match it. It's not like a team is gonna offer him some crazy amount of money (like $20 mil a year or something) that would be too high for us to want to match..

I think he probably should take the early extension this summer. Secure the bag. You never know, he could tear his ACL next season and then he doesn't get the bag..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#984 » by shackles10 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:07 am

Hal14 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:I think Hauser will be too expensive. He’s played well enough he doesn’t have to take an early extension for worry of what might happen next season. So when he’s up next off season someone will offer more imo. If we’re going to have a cap casualty I’d rather it be our 8th man at least.

I just don't see why would Pritchard extend here but people are so worried about Hauser leaving.

If another team offers him a bunch of $, we can just match it. It's not like a team is gonna offer him some crazy amount of money (like $20 mil a year or something) that would be too high for us to want to match..

I think he probably should take the early extension this summer. Secure the bag. You never know, he could tear his ACL next season and then he doesn't get the bag..

I could see him getting slightly under Strus money as a cap percentage, but with it going up the total dollar amount could be more. PP got a really team friendly extension fwiw. I just don’t think we can pay everyone and wing shooter might be a spot Brad and Joe feel they can replace easiest with cheapest deal. I take Wyc at his word spending wise, but wouldn’t think he was being disingenuous if he spent on the top 6, throw an extended PP in and it’s 7, but went cheap on Hauser. We’ll see I guess.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#985 » by 165bows » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:34 am

Hal14 wrote:

We don't need a Hauser replacement. He's signed through 24-25 season and likely getting extended this summer.

Also, Karaban is likely off the board before we draft a guy..he's a good player, though..I certainly wouldn't hate it if we get him..but I don't really see it happening.

What’s the general consensus on his mock draft position? I’ve tended to use the Tankathon mock lately and they have him late second. That Connecticut team has just been totally dominant, so I can see it’s got to come from somewhere, but you think he’s going before pick 30?
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#986 » by Dogen » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:32 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I haven't made comparisons to other years yet.But it seems like this draft is more center heavy in the first round than in previous years.

One of the mocks had us taking bobbi Klintman.. I could have sworn last year.When he was considering coming out, they had him listed at 6:10. Now he's only 6'8??

I've heard of people shrinking under pressure before but never quite so literally :lol:

Klintman usually listed at 6'10", and that looks about right. Maybe available at 30, is he but worth trying to move up? Some mocks have him in that early to late 20's range.

He'd be in the development pipeline for this team, of course, but fits a need as a long athletic SF/PF with some shooting skill. Sort of a nice bookend compliment to Walsh.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#987 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:34 am

shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

I could see him getting slightly under Strus money as a cap percentage, but with it going up the total dollar amount could be more. PP got a really team friendly extension fwiw. I just don’t think we can pay everyone and wing shooter might be a spot Brad and Joe feel they can replace easiest with cheapest deal. I take Wyc at his word spending wise, but wouldn’t think he was being disingenuous if he spent on the top 6, throw an extended PP in and it’s 7, but went cheap on Hauser. We’ll see I guess.

Well keep in mind Horford is only under contract for 1 more year (24-25 season) at pretty cheap money - that's also the last year of Hauser's contract. So the 1st year of Hauser's new deal (25-26 season) Al is either retired or signed to some cheap team-friendly deal, in all likelihood. And Pritchard has a cheap team friendly extension too.

We had been looking for a good, solid 3&D wing shooter off the bench for years - these guys don't grow on trees. If Wyc is truly willing to spend whatever it takes to maximize this. championship window, he'll pay to keep arguably the best bench wing shooter in the league onboard through his prime years.

We'll see..but this is all just speculation right now. There have been no reports or even rumors from any credible sources indicating Hauser might not stay in Boston past his current contract. So I don't think Brad is actively looking for a "Hauser replacement" right now.

If a Hauser replacement is needed by the time the 25-26 season gets here, Jordan Walsh could be that guy. Yes, he's obviously not the shooter that Hauser is. But his potential on D is much higher. As for the shooting, he's at about 35% from 3 on the season, on good volume. A solid number, especially considering the improvement he made after shooting just 28% from 3 last year in college.

So he goes from 28% to 35% in just 1 season - while increasingly the volume..and while shooting from the deeper NBA 3 pt line in the G league. So clearly he's improving rapidly..and he's still only 20 yrs old. Walsh has said all season in interviews that his goal is to e an elite 3&D guy for Boston (eventually).
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#988 » by Dogen » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:35 am

Klintman has a really nice looking stroke on the 3:

Hey you! Can we come together?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#989 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:37 am

165bows wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

What’s the general consensus on his mock draft position? I’ve tended to use the Tankathon mock lately and they have him late second. That Connecticut team has just been totally dominant, so I can see it’s got to come from somewhere, but you think he’s going before pick 30?

Honestly, I haven't been looking at many mock drafts. Mainly just been doing my own evaluations and rankings.

I actually have Karaban ranked 14th on my personal big board right now. So I doubt he is there at 30..but I also doubt we hold on to the 30th pick..I'm assuming we trade back into the 2nd round..which means even less chance that Karaban is still there..

Also, if his draft stock is as low as you're thinking (late 2nd round) then there's a good chance he will return to UConn for another year.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#990 » by playa-hater » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:24 pm

I like Tankathon the most just because of their frequent updates and 2 rds of easy to see predictions.

here's their latest.

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Note my man Edey predicted going 31 :o

If Brad is this close and passes :(

I will taking over Boston's drafting department 8-)
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,546

Post#991 » by Kalela » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:33 am

Jarin Stevenson (18 year old Freshman forward, Alabama). If he declares this and he is available in the 2nd round where the Celtics draft, I would him to be the player we select. He didn't play this year but the few times I watched him play, I was really impressed by him.

Fire Mazzulla
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,870

Post#992 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:07 pm

playa-hater wrote:I like Tankathon the most just because of their frequent updates and 2 rds of easy to see predictions.

here's their latest.

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Note my man Edey predicted going 31 :o

If Brad is this close and passes :(

I will taking over Boston's drafting department 8-)

I like Jones, but if Edey is on the board at 30, you have to take him there. It might not work out, but if it does...damn...

Edey was the best player in the NCAA and would make a fun massive lineup.

White or Jrue
Brown
Tatum
KP
Edey

lol
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,870

Post#993 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:20 pm

Also have become a fan of Jamir Watkins

6'7 with the ability to guard 1-4. Great athlete, Great handle, Great for on shot and has gotten better.

Hal14
RealGM

Post#994 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:24 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:If Edey is on the board at 30, you have to take him there.

Edey was the best player in the NCAA

That doesn't mean that much. Other recent winners of the Naismith Award:

Oscar Tshiebwe
Luka Garza
Cassius Winston
Frank Kaminsky
Frank Mason III

Right now, Edey is projected to go in like the 13-23 range. So likely won't be there at 30..we're also likely to trade the 30th pick.

BUt there are some serious questions about how his game (and his body) would translate to the next level..let alone questions about how he'd fit on a Celtics team that shoots more 3's than any team in the league so I certainbly wouldn't say that if he's there at 30 you *have* to pick him..

There will likely be at least 3 or 4 solid prospects available when the Celtics are on the clock and it'll be debatable which one we should take.,.

With that being said, if I'm ranking these prospects myself and being objective, I'm putting Edey in the 15-25 range. So yeah, I wouldn't hate it if we get him at 30..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#995 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:32 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Also have become a fan of Jamir Watkins

6'7 with the ability to guard 1-4. Great athlete, Great handle, Great for on shot and has gotten better.

Yes! I'm big on Watkins. He's a dog. Very versatile.

If we go for a wing, I'm all all in on him.

I haven't seen an official word yet as to whether he is declaring for the draft, though..think he has another year of college eligibility. He's turning 23 soon though - and after a very strong season, he probably should go pro now..
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#996 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:14 pm

With the new CBA Cs really have no flexibility beyond signing their own players. If they don’t sign Hauser there is no avenue to replace him, so I expect they do…even if a bit of a perceived over pay. I expect as long as the Cs are contenders they have no problem paying big luxury tax… I suppose there is a point though where ownership balks…not sure where that is. I’d pay Hauser 4/30 no problem though….
Sign here
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#997 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:21 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

With the new CBA Cs really have no flexibility beyond signing their own players. If they don’t sign Hauser there is no avenue to replace him, so I expect they do…even if a bit of a perceived over pay. I expect as long as the Cs are contenders they have no problem paying big luxury tax… I suppose there is a point though where ownership balks…not sure where that is. I’d pay Hauser 4/30 no problem though….

I would too and so would ownership but I'm guessing he gest closer to 4/50. Pritchard's contract is a steal at 4/30 now and Hauser and his agent surely know this since they share the same locker room and all.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,973

Post#998 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:27 pm

shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Hauser will definitely get Strus money (4 yrs and $62 million) and that will be a tough pill for the Celtics to swallow. I agree with other posters, draft a potential replacement.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,973

Post#999 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:31 pm

brackdan70 wrote: I’d pay Hauser 4/30 no problem though….

So would the Celtics, problem is Hauser's next contract will be nowhere near that.

Just look at past players similar to Hauser.

Strus, Joe Harris, Trent Jr, Huerter, Bertans etc. All got deals averaging $15 million+ per year.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1000 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:41 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I just don't see why would Pritchard extend here but people are so worried about Hauser leaving.

Hauser will definitely get Strus money (4 yrs and $62 million) and that will be a tough pill for the Celtics to swallow. I agree with other posters, draft a potential replacement.

The Jays are or will soon be locked up, we drafted Walsh, and searching for a shooter in the draft is hit and miss sure, but has nothing to do with strength of the draft as it's not a lotto pick to satisfy that anyways. I don't see us paying that much for a wing in Hauser but it's their money so by all means lol. The league is full of guys on really cheap contracts who are good shooters (either vet min. or UDFA/2nd rounders) and guys who used to be on cheap deals that are now overpaid in the opinion of some (Robinson, Bertans, McDermott, Strus according to some).

Return to Boston Celtics