ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,246

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1081 » by Hal14 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:11 pm

This guy knows his stuff! Ok, it's me lol

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,921

Post#1082 » by playa-hater » Wed May 1, 2024 4:24 pm

Hal14 wrote:This guy knows his stuff! Ok, it's me lol

Read on Twitter

Only did a quick peak on JW... looks good and checks all the Boxes but one. Shooting. At least statistically speaking. Career around 30% from 3..

Thoughts on that? or why you still like him?
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,467

Post#1083 » by threrf23 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:40 pm

Hal14 wrote:This guy is listed at 6'10.5", still just 19 yrs old..

Read on Twitter

At quick glance, this kid seems like an underrated draft prospect. Would give him a hard look.

Of players to play at least 500 minutes this season in the Adriatic league, nobody had better foul efficiency (relative to steals and blocks). Per 36, 8.6 rebounds, 1.6 steals, 1 block, 2.3 fouls. For a random point of reference, Frank Kaminsky posted 8.4 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 4 fouls.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1084 » by Hal14 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:11 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:This guy knows his stuff! Ok, it's me lol

Read on Twitter

Only did a quick peak on JW... looks good and checks all the Boxes but one. Shooting. At least statistically speaking. Career around 30% from 3..

Thoughts on that? or why you still like him?

Watkins shooting has improved each year in college. On a good trajectory. 34% from 3 this season on decent volume. 79% from the FT line indicates good touch. I believe on catch and shoot 3's he was around 38 or 39% from 3..it's just that he handled the ball a lot at Florida State this season, had to create a lot of his own shots so lots of his 3's were off the dribble and/or contested.

Also got better from 3 as the season went on so he's getting better with his shot:

1st 17 games: 28.8% on 2.6 attempts per game
Last 16 games: 39.2% on 3.1 attempts per game

His statistical profile this season (as well as size, age, etc.) is very similar to Herb Jones, who hasn't been a great shooter but has been able to do enough other things well (especially defense) to be a valuable contributor.

I think Watkins has a chance to be a Herb Jones / Tari Eason type of guy. You get someone like that with the 30th pick, it's great value.
With that being said, I doubt we keep that 30th pick..but for this community mock, there was no trading picks so it was fun to pretend what we might do if we did keep the pick :)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,305

Post#1085 » by djFan71 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:38 am

Anyone like Walsh 2.0? Can I get some interest in another long-armed Arkansan that doesn't know quite how to play yet????

Trevon Brazile. 7'10" wingspan could be handy against that Wemby feller, lol. At 54 and 2-way for a few years, you could do worse. Or UDFA, but he'd probably look for a place with a clearer path to PT.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1086 » by Hal14 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:02 pm

djFan71 wrote:Anyone like Walsh 2.0? Can I get some interest in another long-armed Arkansan that doesn't know quite how to play yet????

Trevon Brazile. 7'10" wingspan could be handy against that Wemby feller, lol. At 54 and 2-way for a few years, you could do worse. Or UDFA, but he'd probably look for a place with a clearer path to PT.

There's potential there. Wouldn't hate it as an UDFA..

But his wingspan isn't quite 7'10"..

Read on Twitter
?lang=en
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,305

Post#1087 » by djFan71 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Anyone like Walsh 2.0? Can I get some interest in another long-armed Arkansan that doesn't know quite how to play yet????

There's potential there. Wouldn't hate it as an UDFA..

But his wingspan isn't quite 7'10"..

Read on Twitter
?lang=en

Only place I saw his wing was the ringer and they have it at 7'10" - it sounded a little too ridiculous to be true for a 6'10"ish guy. 7'3" ok, I guess, lol.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,994

Post#1088 » by Curmudgeon » Fri May 3, 2024 12:19 am

21 year-old sophomore.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1089 » by Hal14 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:19 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:21 year-old sophomore.

Who, Brazile? He's a junior.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1090 » by Hal14 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:57 pm

With the injury struggles that KP continues to have, I do think that ideally we scoop up a big in the draft. Especially considering people keep saying they think Kornet might get a bigger contract offer from another team this summer. And you never know - that could happen with Tillman as well.

Here's a recent mock by one of the more credible sources:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10118310-2024-nba-mock-draft-lottery-simulation-and-full-2-round-predictions

They have us taking DaRon Holmes at pick 30. I wouldn't hate that. These are all bigs who were available at pick 30 in this mock:

-DaRon Holmes
-Andrija Jelavic
-Coleman Hawkins
-Norchad Omier
-Oso Ighodaro
-Adem Bona
-JT Toppin
-Ulrich Chomche

Out of these bigs, the only one I would consider taking in the 1st round would probably be Holmes. Perhaps Jelavic too. So maybe you take Holmes at 30 but if Holmes is gone then you trade the pick and snag a big in the 2nd round..

They also have Ryan Dunn going in the 2nd round. He's not a big per se, but could be used as a small ball 5..and could end up maybe being a full-time 5 if he adds a little more weight/muscle..Dunn is a beast of a defender. Limited on offense but has shown flashes of hitting 3's and taking his man off the bounce. And he can catch lobs.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,587

Post#1091 » by brackdan70 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:09 pm

Ulrich Chomche seems like an interesting swing for the fences guy. Young and raw and not much to go on, but pretty interesting potential. Great foot work for a 6/11 kid, has a decent stroke. Good size, athleticism and length.
Sign here
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,112

Post#1092 » by Dogen » Fri May 3, 2024 4:25 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Ulrich Chomche seems like an interesting swing for the fences guy. Young and raw and not much to go on, but pretty interesting potential. Great foot work for a 6/11 kid, has a decent stroke. Good size, athleticism and length.

Agree that Chomche has some allure with the length, footwork, passing, 3pt shooting. However, it's all very hypothetical for the NBA as he's part of an affiliate league in Africa. Looks good, but then how will he translate to G-League and NBA.

Maybe if Brad trades back into 2nd he'd be a good pick up. Brad isn't really much of a swing for the fences guy. More of a developmental pipeline guy. Right now the team is unlikely to want to lock up a guaranteed contract for future potential, but there is a Queta-sized hole now up in Maine and Chomche could turn out to be a gem in a few years.
Hey you! Can we come together?
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,607

Post#1093 » by 165bows » Fri May 3, 2024 4:33 pm

Dogen wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Ulrich Chomche seems like an interesting swing for the fences guy. Young and raw and not much to go on, but pretty interesting potential. Great foot work for a 6/11 kid, has a decent stroke. Good size, athleticism and length.

Agree that Chomche has some allure with the length, footwork, passing, 3pt shooting. However, it's all very hypothetical for the NBA as he's part of an affiliate league in Africa. Looks good, but then how will he translate to G-League and NBA.

Maybe if Brad trades back into 2nd he'd be a good pick up. Brad isn't really much of a swing for the fences guy. More of a developmental pipeline guy. Right now the team is unlikely to want to lock up a guaranteed contract for future potential, but there is a Queta-sized hole now up in Maine and Chomche could turn out to be a gem in a few years.

Idk with Brad at the top they've gone for younger athletic guys in terms of who they've used picks on. Seems like the FO and Brad are really happy to work the UDFA type of market for older guys and for better or worse, draft teenagers.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,289

Post#1094 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:26 pm

165bows wrote:Idk with Brad at the top they've gone for younger athletic guys in terms of who they've used picks on. Seems like the FO and Brad are really happy to work the UDFA type of market for older guys and for better or worse, draft teenagers.

Right. According to tankathon the draft ages of Stevens' picks until now has been: 18.87 (Begarin), 19.71 (Davison) and 19.30 (Walsh) and like you said their most appealing quality was their athleticism. All of them have plus length for their position as well. Maybe this is just a small sample coincidence but considering how methodical the Celtics front office have been with everything else, I find that hard to believe.

There are a lot of upper classmen currently projected to be drafted right now so using those criteria on the 2024 draft narrows the field of candidates quite a lot.Using tankathon's mock draft and excluding top-20 projected guys that the Celtics probably won't be able to get, here are all the teenagers left at the time of the draft:
Spoiler:
Tyler Smith
Johnny Furphy
Carlton Carrington
Izan Almansa
Melvin Ajinca
Ulrich Chomche
Juan Núñez
Pacome Dadiet

Some of those guys have decent length like Almansa and Smith but really the only two that have plus length for their position are Carlton Carrington and Ulrich Chomche. So I definitely think that Chomche will get a long, hard look from the Celtics.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#1095 » by Curmudgeon » Fri May 3, 2024 10:24 pm

From all reports he's a hard worker. Wants to be good. That's as important as the physical attributes and the basketball skills.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1096 » by Hal14 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:46 am

Intriguing 2nd round sleeper..

Read on Twitter
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,607

Post#1097 » by 165bows » Sat May 4, 2024 11:45 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
165bows wrote:Idk with Brad at the top they've gone for younger athletic guys in terms of who they've used picks on. Seems like the FO and Brad are really happy to work the UDFA type of market for older guys and for better or worse, draft teenagers.

Right. According to tankathon the draft ages of Stevens' picks until now has been: 18.87 (Begarin), 19.71 (Davison) and 19.30 (Walsh) and like you said their most appealing quality was their athleticism. All of them have plus length for their position as well. Maybe this is just a small sample coincidence but considering how methodical the Celtics front office have been with everything else, I find that hard to believe.

There are a lot of upper classmen currently projected to be drafted right now so using those criteria on the 2024 draft narrows the field of candidates quite a lot.Using tankathon's mock draft and excluding top-20 projected guys that the Celtics probably won't be able to get, here are all the teenagers left at the time of the draft:
Spoiler:
Tyler Smith
Johnny Furphy
Carlton Carrington
Izan Almansa
Melvin Ajinca
Ulrich Chomche
Juan Núñez
Pacome Dadiet

Some of those guys have decent length like Almansa and Smith but really the only two that have plus length for their position are Carlton Carrington and Ulrich Chomche. So I definitely think that Chomche will get a long, hard look from the Celtics.

I could see Carrington being on their radar as well. Has the kind of size and versatility they like in guards and they’ve never really prioritized rim attacking slashers at the guard spot anyways.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#1098 » by Curmudgeon » Sat May 4, 2024 3:37 pm

I don't see a guard who might be available at #30 who is better than Pritchard, Springer, Davison or even Madar. Plus they just extended Jrue and will almost certainly extend White.

So I think they will go big. I'd be looking at stretch 4-5 types who can rebound.

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,461

Post#1099 » by Parliament10 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:45 pm

What happens to the players who are not selected in the NBA Draft?
Dane Arlauckas | dfinesttweets | Update: Jun 21st, 2023 22:26 EDT

https://en.as.com/nba/what-happens-to-the-players-who-are-not-selected-in-the-nba-draft-n/
Until recently, players who hired an agent and entered the NBA draft could not go back to college, but since 2018 the NCAA lightened up and now allow players with eligibility to return to their school “as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.”

I think that players who go Undrafted (un-selected), should get a 2nd crack at it.
They should be allowed to go back to school, or whatever other program that they were in, and re-declare one more time.

About 250 players declare for the Draft, and only 60 (58 this year and last) can get Drafted.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,706

Post#1100 » by Kalela » Sun May 5, 2024 1:52 am

I like Brazile. I think he is going back to school though.
Fire Mazzulla

Return to Boston Celtics