ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jordan Walsh!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,137

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jordan Walsh! 

Post#581 » by Dogen » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:17 am

Hal14 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Well a player even younger than Walsh, GG Jackson was thrown into the lineup and has killed it already for Memphis the last 2 games..

Grizzlies have no healthy players. It's like apples and screwdrivers.

Yup, Grizzlies have no healthy players, they are clearly tanking. Much different team context than a deep, talented Celtics team with everyone healthy and the favorite to win the title.

Also, GG Jackson is an outlier. Just because there's 1 19-year old rookie drafted in the 2nd round who is making an impact, it doesn't outweigh the 100+ examples on the other side of the coin.

Lastly, GG is not a typical 2nd round pick. He was the #1 ranked player in his HS class. He fell in the draft. But many people thought he should have gone 1st round and this draft analyst even had him top 5 on his big board:
Read on Twitter

GG was a 1st rounder on my big board as well.

That 2023 draft has been interesting. Some of the top picks not very good, whereas there's been some nice finds in late first round and second.

I recall tracking Jaime Jaquez Jr., GG Jackson, Olivier-Maxence Prosper, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Leonard Miller, and Walsh before and during the draft, and some of those guys plus, Brandin Podziemski, Cam Whitmore and others have done pretty well.

GG Jackson is offensively gifted, but the D was a concern. I was surprised he fell as far as he did, and thought he'd be a nice pickup, but Brad kept trading away 2nds for more future 2nds.

Anyway, I doubt he'd be getting minutes on the Celtics this year.

Yet, he and Walsh are both still only 19 I think. It would be nice to see Walsh get some minutes now that we are at the half-way point of the season and only need to defend home court advantage.
Hey you! Can we come together?
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,004

Post#582 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:47 am

We all know Jordan was drafted in the second round. We also have eyeballs and have seen an athleticism and a 40% 3 pt shot that wasn’t predicted before the draft. Romeo Langford was a lottery pick….where a guy gets picked doesn’t guarantee anything. I am excited he is getting this opportunity and hope he gets to play a little. His calling card was defense but he is still a liability on that end - even in the G-league. However, he has the chance to be special on that end of the floor someday.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,945

Post#583 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:47 pm

I remember when guys entered the league after graduating college and still often started out riding the pine.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#584 » by Hal14 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:16 pm

sam_I_am wrote:We all know Jordan was drafted in the second round. We also have eyeballs and have seen an athleticism and a 40% 3 pt shot that wasn’t predicted before the draft.

The way G League shows their stats is misleading. On the season as a whole, he's at 36% from 3. That's still good (especially since the volume is good for Walsh..it's not like that's only 0.8 attempts per game).

But the G league is also fast pace, good spacing, very little defense. Not much pressure. In other words, it's an environment where where pretty much everyone shoots a good %.

He'll get his chance when the time is right.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,622

Post#585 » by brackdan70 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 pm

And so it begins…
Sign here
Dogen
RealGM

Post#586 » by Dogen » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:53 pm

Hal14 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:We all know Jordan was drafted in the second round. We also have eyeballs and have seen an athleticism and a 40% 3 pt shot that wasn’t predicted before the draft.

The way G League shows their stats is misleading. On the season as a whole, he's at 36% from 3. That's still good (especially since the volume is good for Walsh..it's not like that's only 0.8 attempts per game).

But the G league is also fast pace, good spacing, very little defense. Not much pressure. In other words, it's an environment where where pretty much everyone shoots a good %.

G-League could be the No-D-League. Banton did what he wanted the other night, got 28 -- and he can't shoot!

For Walsh, I'm more interested in him with Celtics to see how he's learned the sets, knows some plays, and intangibles.

He won't be getting meaningful minutes in crunch time, but during 2nd or 3rd Q it will be nice to see how he D's up, if he gets blown by on D. Can he switch quickly? -- grab a steal in the passing lane? Things like that. Walshy things.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#587 » by brackdan70 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:56 pm

Dogen wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

G-League could be the No-D-League. Banton did what he wanted the other night, got 28 -- and he can't shoot!

For Walsh, I'm more interested in him with Celtics to see how he's learned the sets, knows some plays, and intangibles.

He won't be getting meaningful minutes in crunch time, but during 2nd or 3rd Q it will be nice to see how he D's up, if he gets blown by on D. Can he switch quickly? -- grab a steal in the passing lane? Things like that. Walshy things.

I’d start him…I guess that’s why I didn’t get a call back from Stevens for the head coach job.
Sign here
Dogen
RealGM

Post#588 » by Dogen » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 am

brackdan70 wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Hal14 wrote:The way G League shows their stats is misleading. On the season as a whole, he's at 36% from 3. That's still good (especially since the volume is good for Walsh..it's not like that's only 0.8 attempts per game).

I’d start him…I guess that’s why I didn’t get a call back from Stevens for the head coach job.

I was ready to retire his number after summer league. :nod:
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#589 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:57 am

Walsh should frame this.
Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,764

Post#590 » by SLCceltic » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:26 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Walsh should frame this.
Read on Twitter

Moses Brown :D
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,764

Post#591 » by SLCceltic » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:28 pm

Hoping JWs first pts come next Bucks game, Yannis has another big night and wants the ball
ROYALGREEN
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,817

Post#592 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#593 » by brackdan70 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:29 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow…. Smooth, fast, long… I know it G-League but I want to see him get some legit NBA minutes.
Sign here
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,523

Post#594 » by Parliament10 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:47 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow…. Smooth, fast, long… I know it G-League but I want to see him get some legit NBA minutes.

Walsh has some really nice moves there. Will love to see him get his chance to crack the rotation, next season.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,737

Post#595 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:59 am

Time to waive this bum! Taking too long to develop
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#596 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:35 pm

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#597 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:07 am

Read on Twitter
KillahGhostface