ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Oshae Brissett!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,999

Re: Welcome to Boston, Oshae Brissett! 

Post#101 » by cl2117 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 11:23 am

If Brissett is going to miss time every now and then with recurring knee stuff, I genuinely think Walsh could end up carving out a legit role for himself.

It shouldn't be as hard for Oshae/Jordan as it will be for Pritchard/Hauser because any offensive production is kind of bonus for them. They just need to be glue guys with good team defense and hustle on the boards. The other two guys need to be shooting 40% plus on a decent volume of threes otherwise they're likely a net negative overall. Brissett and Walsh aren't going to be taking shots away from our big 3 and won't get hunted on the defensive end, so they're just much easier to slot into rotations.

With our new big 3 plus Brogdon and Pritchard/Hauser we should have no problem putting firepower on the court but have a big deficit in terms of defense with Smart's departure. I assume Brissett gets first crack at filling that hole on the wing for 10-15 minutes a game but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Walsh eats into that early/often if Brissett's availability isn't pretty high.

I need to keep reminding myself that Oshae is a vet minimum guy. Because he's been in Indiana's rotation for 3/4 years he's been in the league I've got it stuck in my head that he's a guaranteed rotation piece but there is a reason he ended up on a vet minimum deal rather than MLE kind of money.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,254

Post#102 » by Hal14 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 1:14 pm

cl2117 wrote:If Brissett is going to miss time every now and then with recurring knee stuff.

Reports have indicated that his injury is minor, that Brissett is just skipping the World Cup as a precaution.

An article I read said that he hasn't missed any time due to a knee injury since the Bubble in 2020.

With that being said, it's certainly possible that Walsh could take some of Brissett's minutes. We've got our top 7 guys set in stone, but I think there will be some fun competition for minutes between the other guys. It's a good problem to have, of course.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,194

Post#103 » by 31to6 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 1:41 pm

I think Oshae profiles as a 4/3, and Walsh as a 2/3. Brissette is well-built; Walsh is lanky but SLENDER.

Certainly some possible overlap there, but Hauser might be ahead of both of them for rotation minutes.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#104 » by Hal14 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 2:19 pm

31to6 wrote:I think Oshae profiles as a 4/3, and Walsh as a 2/3. Brissette is well-built; Walsh is lanky but SLENDER.

Certainly some possible overlap there, but Hauser might be ahead of both of them for rotation minutes.

It's kind of splitting hairs, (since a lot of times certain positions are interchangeable) but here's how I see them..

Brissett - true combo-forward. I honestly think he can play the 3 or the 4 and is capable of playing either position at about the same level.

Walsh - Best position is the 3. I think his next best position is probably the 4. Sure, he's kind of slender but I don't think he's *that* slender. Also, he's got a 7'2" wingspan, he plays really tough, he plays physical, has good athleticism - all of which allow him to play bigger than he is. The way he moves on the floor - I think he would need to be quicker to play the 2. You're also typically looking for more ball handling, more on ball creation, more shooting from a guy playing the 2.

Hauser - best position is the 3, of course. If he's out there with Brown/Tatum and only 1 other guard, then Brown/Tatum is probably the 2 and Hauser is the 3, since Brown/Tatum are quicker and more skilled with the ball in their hands (in other words, you don't really want Hauser at the 2, since then we wouldn't have enough ball handling and we'd be too slow). If we go with a small ball lineup, Hauser can play some at the 4 and just really stretch the floor. But he's not a very good rebounder or rim protector or scorer near the basket, not that strong/tough/physical so you don't really want him at the 4 very often.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
31to6
RealGM

Post#105 » by 31to6 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:58 pm

Hal14 wrote:
31to6 wrote:I think Oshae profiles as a 4/3, and Walsh as a 2/3. Brissette is well-built; Walsh is lanky but SLENDER.

It's kind of splitting hairs, (since a lot of times certain positions are interchangeable) but here's how I see them..

Brissett - true combo-forward. I honestly think he can play the 3 or the 4 and is capable of playing either position at about the same level.

Walsh - Best position is the 3. I think his next best position is probably the 4. Sure, he's kind of slender but I don't think he's *that* slender. Also, he's got a 7'2" wingspan, he plays really tough, he plays physical, has good athleticism - all of which allow him to play bigger than he is. The way he moves on the floor - I think he would need to be quicker to play the 2. You're also typically looking for more ball handling, more on ball creation, more shooting from a guy playing the 2.

Hauser - best position is the 3, of course. If he's out there with Brown/Tatum and only 1 other guard, then Brown/Tatum is probably the 2 and Hauser is the 3, since Brown/Tatum are quicker and more skilled with the ball in their hands (in other words, you don't really want Hauser at the 2, since then we wouldn't have enough ball handling and we'd be too slow). If we go with a small ball lineup, Hauser can play some at the 4 and just really stretch the floor. But he's not a very good rebounder or rim protector or scorer near the basket, not that strong/tough/physical so you don't really want him at the 4 very often.

I hope Oshae is equally as playable at the 3 as the 4, but just looking at his stats I see his career averages as 26% SF, 70% PF, and 4% C. Over his four years, his time at SF has gone from 73%/40%/32%/5% -- in fact last season he spent almost as much time at C (3%) as at SF. That might be IND having no bigs, and/or being garbage, but this is why I'm calling him a '4/3' for now instead of a '3/4'. We'll know a ton more in a couple of months, of course. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brissos01.html

Let's look at Hauser: per bballref, he was identified last season at SG 11%, at SF 57%/, and at PF 31%. His rookie season was fairly similar. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hausesa01.html

For Walsh, it's all hunches at this point -- to me, his build and movements looks more like a 2 -- albeit one perhaps limited (for now?) in ballhandling skills. I guess that unless he bulks up a ton, he's going to be unfurling that wingspan to be a defensive menace as a 2/3, but we'll have to see as the next months unfold.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,545

Post#106 » by shackles10 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:05 pm

31to6 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

I hope Oshae is equally as playable at the 3 as the 4, but just looking at his stats I see his career averages as 26% SF, 70% PF, and 4% C. Over his four years, his time at SF has gone from 73%/40%/32%/5% -- in fact last season he spent almost as much time at C (3%) as at SF. That might be IND having no bigs, and/or being garbage, but this is why I'm calling him a '4/3' for now instead of a '3/4'. We'll know a ton more in a couple of months, of course. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brissos01.html

Let's look at Hauser: per bballref, he was identified last season at SG 11%, at SF 57%/, and at PF 31%. His rookie season was fairly similar. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hausesa01.html

For Walsh, it's all hunches at this point -- to me, his build and movements looks more like a 2 -- albeit one perhaps limited (for now?) in ballhandling skills. I guess that unless he bulks up a ton, he's going to be unfurling that wingspan to be a defensive menace as a 2/3, but we'll have to see as the next months unfold.

Good info to consider on where he's spent time at the last several years, but as you pointed out it could be as much roster construction as anything else. I could easily see him playing more at SF for us than he did for Indy, but he could also get passed up by a couple guys as the season goes on. I think he starts even or ahead of Hauser as a Grant replacement. Grant was ahead of Hauser so that's my line up thinking here. Walsh is a wildcard in the whole thing and I have no idea where he'll start the year or finish the year for playing time.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,542

Post#107 » by snowman » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:36 pm

We all know four of the starters in stone. I'm going to put RW3 in with the starters just because I think he is a bette fit.

That being said, if the starters are set like that then we know that Horford and Brogdon lead the bench as vets. I think a main bench rotation of Brogdon, Walsh, Hauser, Brissett and Horford works really well, and checks most of the boxes. We have shooting, pressure defense, rebounding, rim running, and drive and kick, and pick and roll capabilities. Only think is ball handling, and Walsh, Hauser, and Brissett should be able to help Brogdon handle that. And remember, these five will not be on the court at the same time. There will always be Pritchard as a fall-back option in add in.

White, Brown, Tatum, RW3, Porzingis
Brogdon, Walsh, Hauser, Brissett, Horford
Pritchard, Banton, Kornet
2-way Davison, Scrubb

All we need to do now is resign Blake Griffin to cover Al's minutes when he is resting, and sign Svi as another ball hander/ shooter and we are set.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,545

Post#108 » by shackles10 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:42 pm

snowman wrote:We all know four of the starters in stone. I'm going to put RW3 in with the starters just because I think he is a bette fit.

That being said, if the starters are set like that then we know that Horford and Brogdon lead the bench as vets. I think a main bench rotation of Brogdon, Walsh, Hauser, Brissett and Horford works really well, and checks most of the boxes. We have shooting, pressure defense, rebounding, rim running, and drive and kick, and pick and roll capabilities. Only think is ball handling, and Walsh, Hauser, and Brissett should be able to help Brogdon handle that. And remember, these five will not be on the court at the same time. There will always be Pritchard as a fall-back option in add in.

2-way Davison, Scrubb

All we need to do now is resign Blake Griffin to cover Al's minutes when he is resting, and sign Svi as another ball hander/ shooter and we are set.

I think PP is a bigger part of the rotation than that, at least to start the season. I think he takes the Walsh spot in your second group, and presumably some of Hauser's and Brissett's minutes since I'm assuming you don't have Walsh down for a lot of minutes. As the season progresses it's all fluid as it's really just Brogdon and Al leading the bench as you mentioned. Of course this could all change and I be completely wrong with injuries, good or bad camps, and good or bad preseasons too.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#109 » by Hal14 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 6:15 pm

Not sure if it's been posted yet. But it it looks like Brissett got engaged about 12 weeks ago.

A bunch of his former Pacers teammates congratulated him in the comments, including Sabonis and Nesmith. OG Anunoby and Caleb Martin congratulated him too.
31to6
RealGM

Post#110 » by 31to6 » Tue Sep 5, 2023 12:42 am

snowman wrote:We all know four of the starters in stone. I'm going to put RW3 in with the starters just because I think he is a bette fit.

2-way Davison, Scrubb

All we need to do now is resign Blake Griffin to cover Al's minutes when he is resting,and sign Svi as another ball hander/ shooter and we are set.

:nod: maximum nailage, snowman!
I think Svi walks into camp my slight favorite to claim the “backup 2” spot over Payton (though it’s close) and Walsh (distant third early in the season). Svi’s size and ability to handle the ball/make plays for others could be valuable next to Brogdon, who was functionally a “2” himself a lot of last season.

I, too, like Rob with the starters, and Al’s versatility off the bench. FWIW I also like the pairing of Hauser and Brissett as backup complementary tweener forwards, though realize they may not play next to each other a ton.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,542

Post#111 » by snowman » Tue Sep 5, 2023 2:23 am

31to6 wrote:

2-way Davison, Scrubb

All we need to do now is resign Blake Griffin to cover Al's minutes when he is resting,and sign Svi as another ball hander/ shooter and we are set.

:nod: maximum nailage, snowman!
I think Svi walks into camp my slight favorite to claim the “backup 2” spot over Payton (though it’s close) and Walsh (distant third early in the season). Svi’s size and ability to handle the ball/make plays for others could be valuable next to Brogdon, who was functionally a “2” himself a lot of last season.

Now that Svi has been signed, I think he takes Walsh's place in my roster above.
So:
White, Brown, Tatum, Rob, Porzingis
Brogdon, Svi, Hauser, Brissett, Horford
Pritchard, Banton, Walsh, Kornet (with Blake signed to the open roster spot).
2-way Davison, Scrubb (a project big like Garuba as third 2-way)

I, too, like Rob with the starters, and Al’s versatility off the bench. FWIW I also like the pairing of Hauser and Brissett as backup complementary tweener forwards, though realize they may not play next to each other a ton.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#112 » by Hal14 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:43 pm

Brissett looking good. This was from a week ago..his knee is fine.

Not sure why it won't show the video embedded on here. But you can see it if you go to his instagram page and then click on the posts he has been tagged in..
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,169

Post#113 » by chakdaddy » Tue Oct 3, 2023 11:50 pm

... it's #12

Gabriel is #13.

00-25, 27, 30-35 all spoken for
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#114 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 8, 2023 12:31 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#115 » by chakdaddy » Mon Oct 9, 2023 3:32 am

Not a bad debut but he looks more like a 2/3 than a 3/4 to me.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#116 » by Hal14 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:39 pm

chakdaddy wrote:Not a bad debut but he looks more like a 2/3 than a 3/4 to me.

He's definitely more of a 3/4, imo.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by chakdaddy » Mon Oct 9, 2023 3:13 pm

Hal14 wrote:

This is my first time seeing him so I could very easily be wrong. But he looked like a bouncy ball handler to me! Like Shannon brown or something
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,839

Post#118 » by lon3lytoaster » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:16 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

This is my first time seeing him so I could very easily be wrong. But he looked like a bouncy ball handler to me! Like Shannon brown or something

Body wise reminds me a lot of Jeff Green. Long, strong. Reasonably similar games actually as well maybe. Middle class Jeff green is a reasonable comp
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#119 » by sam_I_am » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:57 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:
Hal14 wrote:He's definitely more of a 3/4, imo.

Body wise reminds me a lot of Jeff Green. Long, strong. Reasonably similar games actually as well maybe. Middle class Jeff green is a reasonable comp

I don’t see the length and hops of a Jeff Green. He reminds me more of an Eric Williams tweener type. PF game in a SF body. That was a problem in the 90s but is kind of an ideal in today’s game.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,293

Post#120 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 5:29 pm

In his career, he's played 70% of his minutes at the 4, 26% at the 3 and 4% at the 5. He really doesn't have the skills or the shooting you would expect from a NBA guard. It's far more likely he sees time as a small ball 5 than any minutes at the 2 this season.

Return to Boston Celtics