ImageImageImage

Grant Williams Appreciation Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 6,880

Re: Grant Williams Appreciation Thread 

Post#101 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:16 am

I’m hoping he does well in Charlotte. Being humbled might be the best thing for his career.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,219

Post#102 » by 31to6 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:36 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:I’m hoping he does well in Charlotte. Being humbled might be the best thing for his career.

Agree with your second sentence. Can't yet root for him -- it's a long ways back after this

but hope he gets there eventually.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,614

Post#103 » by 165bows » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:01 pm

Grant’s about two and a half years from the WWE.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,529

Post#104 » by canman1971 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:15 pm

I appreciate that Grant's in Charlotte and not Boston and that's it.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,883

Post#105 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:37 pm

Spare me this "Grant Williams is locker room problem" nonsense. He was here for 4 seasons and he was never an issue. He's been involved in the NBPA since he was in the league, despite being a role player, and was just ELECTED VP by his peers. He probably rubbed two specific lazy dead-enders the wrong way in Dallas.
seiffert82
Sophomore
And1: 227

Post#106 » by seiffert82 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:16 pm

Signing Williams was a desperate move by the Mavs, but they are not winning anything unless they can get another All star who forces Doncic to share the ball.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,351

Post#107 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:35 pm

Grants got that annoying kid brother personality. Which was fine in Boston because that’s what he was and he grew up with the guys here. But in Dallas he’s coming in as the big FA signing with a new set of teammates. I can see it being just annoying to guys there while it was maybe endearing to the guys here.

I don’t get the impression Grant is some toxic personality or anything. He’s not inconspicuous either though. Anyone of us who isn’t just a bland person is probably gonna have people who like us and those who don’t. So maybe Dallas was just a group that didn’t like him.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#108 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:36 pm

seiffert82 wrote:Signing Williams was a desperate move by the Mavs, but they are not winning anything unless they can get another All star who forces Doncic to share the ball.

Yeah I didn’t really get it from them. Sign him to a full MLE deal? Fine, that makes sense to me. But go out of your way to use assets so you can sign him for more than that? Yuck, awful move.
seiffert82
Sophomore
And1: 227

Post#109 » by seiffert82 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:56 am

hugepatsfan wrote:
seiffert82 wrote:Signing Williams was a desperate move by the Mavs, but they are not winning anything unless they can get another All star who forces Doncic to share the ball.

Yeah I didn’t really get it from them. Sign him to a full MLE deal? Fine, that makes sense to me. But go out of your way to use assets so you can sign him for more than that? Yuck, awful move.
Yep, it was a dumb move. I'm sure nobody in that organisation actually watched him play or carry on to the refs after every call. Streaky shooter, reasonable defender vs big and slow players, well below par at most everything else.

Good for us that he moved on.

hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#110 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:16 pm

seiffert82 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Yep, it was a dumb move. I'm sure nobody in that organisation actually watched him play or carry on to the refs after every call. Streaky shooter, reasonable defender vs big and slow players, well below par at most everything else.

Good for us that he moved on.

Well you go back to the playoff run a few years ago, in rounds 1 and 2 I thought he did a legitimately great job of defending Durant and Giannis. Then in round 3, he did a great job on Jimmy too I thought. BUT, Jimmy was playing through some injuries. So I think that led to an inflated opinion of how well he could guard perimeter ball handlers. That came crashing down to earth in the finals against Steph but not one really held it against him because that's... ya know... Steph freakin Curry.

I get what you mean about him being a streaky shooter, but end of the day he's a 40ish% shooter on good volume. As a role player that's just a flat out positive attribute, no doubt about it.

In the end, I think the ability to guard ball handlers/wings kind of got inflated because of a flash in the pan performance vs. Durant and hobbled Jimmy in that playoff run. Built this unrealistic expectation of him as a defender, which, if true, when paired with his shooting would have made him probably as valuable as any role player in the game. But that defensive versatility just isn't there like that.
Riverwalk2021
Sixth Man
And1: 1,664

Post#111 » by Riverwalk2021 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:01 pm

The problem with Grant is he has regressed since 21-22 where he showed a ton of promise. He's heavier, less athletic, and added nothing to his skillset. Very immature on and off the court. He's become a meme because of his antics. A headache not worth his salary for a serious team. Perhaps he can revive his career in Charlotte when there are zero expectations of winning and nobody pays attention. Hauser and Tillman are far more valuable to this team given their skill sets and salaries.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,851

Post#112 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:05 pm

Glad he got paid and now got to come home. Maybe he can rehab his value on a team with little expectations. Good debut in CHA uniform.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,507

Post#113 » by BK_2020 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:50 pm

Grant Williams in Dallas had essentially the same minutes as he did with the Celtics and slightly higher usage but he's going to blame his failure on Luka dominating the ball. Yeah Grant, Dallas sucked because you didn't get to run the show.

Read on Twitter
neno
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#114 » by neno » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:24 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Grant Williams in Dallas had essentially the same minutes as he did with the Celtics and slightly higher usage but he's going to blame his failure on Luka dominating the ball. Yeah Grant, Dallas sucked because you didn't get to run the show.

Read on Twitter

What a petty comment just name names no need to hide
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst

Post#115 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:12 am

neno wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Grant Williams in Dallas had essentially the same minutes as he did with the Celtics and slightly higher usage but he's going to blame his failure on Luka dominating the ball. Yeah Grant, Dallas sucked because you didn't get to run the show.

Read on Twitter

Possibly, but Grant has taken a lot of heat for the Mavs failures which are far from only his fault. What he said isn't wrong, but he should've known that before going to Dallas too.

Grant is annoying but not a bad dude and didn't really deserve the level of blame he copped. Petty maybe, but probably deserved, Luka (and Kyrie) would be nightmares to play with and will turn on you in a split second.

Given the way the league is, it's probably smart not to name names.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,877

Post#116 » by Jammer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:13 am

Good Riddance. Attitude did not fit his role. i.e. Too Big a Personality for his role ...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,946

Post#117 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:43 am

neno wrote:

Read on Twitter

Did Grant do this before or after there were anonymous leaks that Dallas was glad to be rid of him?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst

Post#118 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:57 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
neno wrote:

Read on Twitter

Did Grant do this before or after there were anonymous leaks that Dallas was glad to be rid of him?

After.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,199

Post#119 » by SuperDeluxe » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:00 am

Still pulling for this guy.
neno
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#120 » by neno » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:27 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
neno wrote:What a petty comment just name names no need to hide

After.

Retract what I said forgot about the leaks

Return to Boston Celtics