ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Svi Mykhailiuk!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,182

Re: Welcome to Boston, Svi Mykhailiuk! 

Post#121 » by Hal14 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:29 pm

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,458

Post#122 » by shackles10 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:34 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think you continue with Hauser now as it's only been a game obviously, but you're checking in with Svi too and EVENTUALLY he deserves a crack if Hauser is just running cardio out there and not providing you with the shooting you need from his spot. Our bench lacks establishment, but it does have guys who are similar to the guy in front of them so if we need to make a change it's not a systematic change. That's a good solution for Joe and Brad at their disposal if needed.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#123 » by Hal14 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:34 pm

shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think you continue with Hauser now as it's only been a game obviously, but you're checking in with Svi too and EVENTUALLY he deserves a crack if Hauser is just running cardio out there and not providing you with the shooting you need from his spot. Our bench lacks establishment, but it does have guys who are similar to the guy in front of them so if we need to make a change it's not a systematic change. That's a good solution for Joe and Brad at their disposal if needed.

Agreed for the most part. But technically, it hasn't "only been a game" when I posted a 21 game sample size of data.

Granted, most of those games for Hauser were playoff games (higher pressure, vs tougher defenses), some of them were garbage time (those stats just don't mean as much), preseason you kind of take with a grain of salt, Svi was playing on a tanking Hornets team.

Considering all of that context, I agree that you give Hauser some more time to keep that rotation spot.

But IMO, this is a situation we should keep an eye on and Svi should get a chance in there soon if Hauser continues to struggle.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#124 » by shackles10 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:37 pm

Hal14 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Agreed for the most part. But technically, it hasn't "only been a game" when I posted a 21 game sample size of data.

Granted, most of those games for Hauser were playoff games (higher pressure, vs tougher defenses), some of them were garbage time (those stats just don't mean as much), preseason you kind of take with a grain of salt, Svi was playing on a tanking Hornets team.

Considering all of that context, I agree that you give Hauser some more time to keep that rotation spot.

But IMO, this is a situation we should keep an eye on and Svi should get a chance in there soon if Hauser continues to struggle.

Hopefully we can get some blowouts where they both can get some run and not having to make a decision based on just Hauser struggling in games while Svi is good in practices. Or Hauser just starts making everything and we don't have to worry about any of this.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,467

Post#125 » by celtxman » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:50 pm

Can anyone see a path for Svi being here beyond this season. Svi out Drew Petersen in ?
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,070

Post#126 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:05 pm

celtxman wrote:Can anyone see a path for Svi being here beyond this season. Svi out Drew Petersen in ?

Chances are Svi will be gone next year but credit to him, he has done everything the Celtics have asked of him this year. Solid pro.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#127 » by sam_I_am » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:06 pm

celtxman wrote:Can anyone see a path for Svi being here beyond this season. Svi out Drew Petersen in ?

Drew and Svi are more likely being kept around as a potential replacement for Sam Hauser. Assuming the Celtics resign DWhite, there may be no money to meet market price of Hauser. If that is what Brad is thinking, I could see Celtics resigning Svi and letting Sam walk after next season.

I hope to be wrong because I am a big fan of Hauser. I also thought Svi would be better than he is on this team.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,025

Post#128 » by 31to6 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:12 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

Drew and Svi are more likely being kept around as a potential replacement for Sam Hauser. Assuming the Celtics resign DWhite, there may be no money to meet market price of Hauser. If that is what Brad is thinking, I could see Celtics resigning Svi and letting Sam walk after next season.

I hope to be wrong because I am a big fan of Hauser. I also thought Svi would be better than he is on this team.

we have a hopefully short summer to talk about this :)
Svi is perfectly fine replacement level 3rd stringer. He has JUST enough size, athleticism, and all around game to be somewhat interesting, and I had voiced hope that he'd solidify a backup (2nd string) role this past summer, but Pritchard's development nullified that remote possibility. Which is totally fine -- don't care if Svi is here next year -- apparently he's surprisingly popular on the team socially, and he hasn't really shot very well (39/36/67) but we know he can step in in case of emergency and be a credible shooting threat.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,378

Post#129 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:36 pm

Svi is the one player I don’t really care if he stays or goes. He is not a Hauser replacement imo. He is a 15th guy. I’d rather pay a second rounder half the salary. Let him get a chance to get some minutes with a lotto team.
Sign here
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,326

Post#130 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:45 pm

I can maybe see Svi back next year but I'd bet against it. Right now under contract we have...

Holiday / Pritchard
White / Springer
Brown / Hauser / Walsh
Tatum
Porzingis / Horford / Queta

(Not including Brissett, who has a player option)

That's 11 players, so 4 open spots. And I'd say a real chance we go with 14 for most of the year to save on tax like we did this year which would mean only 3 open spots. Filling that 15th spot costs you about $2M in salary and then the tax on that. In total it's like $10M, which is hard to justify for a 15th man. So I'd bet on it only being 3 open spots.

You just look at that roster and feels like wing is most stocked position. They're definitely going to want one more big on the active roster (and probably one on a 2-way too). And then they likely need a big wing type behind Tatum if Brissett doesn't opt in (or opt out to be re-signed). That's 2 of the 3 open spots, and Svi doesn't really fit either as he's more true wing than "big wing". We also have a 1st round pick who would be making the team regardless of what position he plays.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,149

Post#131 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:50 pm

Svi is gone next season.

His defense is just not good enough.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#132 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

celtxman wrote:Can anyone see a path for Svi being here beyond this season.

I doubt it. He just doesn't bring a whole lot to the table, on the court..off the court..and he'll be 27 when next season starts so not any real upside for further development..he is what he is at this point of his career.

He's fine for an end of the bench wing for this season..but he's not signed beyond this season..so I think this summer we just part ways, wish him the best of luck..and hopefully he gets a ring out of it :)

celtxman wrote:Svi out Drew Petersen in ?

Either Peterson..maybe Begarin comes over? Maybe we sign some young up and coming guy to a cheap contract this summer..maybe we sign a vet..or maybe a guy we draft this year (or an UDFA) takes that spot..
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#133 » by shackles10 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:44 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I can maybe see Svi back next year but I'd bet against it. Right now under contract we have...

Holiday / Pritchard
White / Springer
Brown / Hauser / Walsh
Tatum
Porzingis / Horford / Queta

(Not including Brissett, who has a player option)

That's 11 players, so 4 open spots. And I'd say a real chance we go with 14 for most of the year to save on tax like we did this year which would mean only 3 open spots. Filling that 15th spot costs you about $2M in salary and then the tax on that. In total it's like $10M, which is hard to justify for a 15th man. So I'd bet on it only being 3 open spots.

You just look at that roster and feels like wing is most stocked position. They're definitely going to want one more big on the active roster (and probably one on a 2-way too). And then they likely need a big wing type behind Tatum if Brissett doesn't opt in (or opt out to be re-signed). That's 2 of the 3 open spots, and Svi doesn't really fit either as he's more true wing than "big wing". We also have a 1st round pick who would be making the team regardless of what position he plays.

Resigning Kornet and Tillman would put us up to 13 alone so only leaves one spot. We win it all and, no offense to Svi, I would think we could find a better option with ring chasers as we look to go back to back. If not I like Petersen if he won’t sign another 2-way. May not even be our choice as another team may offer him a minimum deal.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,194

Post#134 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:58 pm

White | Holiday | Brown | Tatum | Porzingis
Pritchard | Walsh | Hauser | Tillman | Horford
Davison | Springer | Brissett | FRP | Queta

Two-ways: 2RP, Peterson, ??

They can just put up a Svi statue in front of TD Garden after he wins G3 of the ECF for us.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,134

Post#135 » by Parliament10 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:33 am

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#136 » by shackles10 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:10 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:White | Holiday | Brown | Tatum | Porzingis

They can just put up a Svi statue in front of TD Garden after he wins G3 of the ECF for us.

Not even a goodbye to Luke?
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,149

Post#137 » by Fierce1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:19 am

Svi is going to make a lot of money in Europe.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,194

Post#138 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 am

shackles10 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:White | Holiday | Brown | Tatum | Porzingis

Not even a goodbye to Luke?

Luke is gonna transition to assistant coach AND Gorman's real replacement (sorry Drew).
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,292

Post#139 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:45 am

Appreciation thread in June?

Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,745

Post#140 » by Green89 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:51 am