ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Svi Mykhailiuk!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Welcome to Boston, Svi Mykhailiuk! 

Post#1 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter

I don't hate it but he feels redundant with Hauser
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Re: Welcome to Boston, Svi Mykhailiuk! 

Post#2 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:36 pm

Posted this in the trade thread but I guess I'll re-post here:

Alright, let's go! Finally. haha, so much speculating and chatter about who our deep bench wing, 14th man signing would be.

Now, we finally know!

I've posted quite a bit about Svi at this point. Some good, and some bad.

He wasn't my top choice for this spot. But honestly, I think that between Svi, Terence Davis, Danny Green, Lamar Stevens, TJ warren, Austin Rivers, Diallo, Javonte are fairly even, all things considered. I mean, we could sit here all day and debate who is better than who between these guys.

They all have pros and cons. At this point in all of their careers, there really isn't a whole lot of separation between these 8 guys, imo. And whoever we ended up signing for this spot, is likely not going to make or break our season. If it does, then something went horribly wrong with other guys on the roster who we're counting on to deliver more than Svi.

It really comes down to which 1 of those 8 guys actually wants to come here. Which one wants to be in Boston, with "this group" (as Al would say haha), which one would be cool with signing for the limited $ and limited role that we have to offer?

And how well does Brad think that guy would fit here?

I kind of wish we got someone who is a better defender. Stevens, Rivers, Davis. Possibly even Danny Green coming off the torn ACL and possibly Warren can defend better than Svi. Perhaps with this move, we will be planning on playing some more zone defense? We saw it a little bit in summer league. And Porzingis might fit better in a zone D than a switching man to man. And zone D forces opponents to play less PnR, which takes them out of their gameplan since many teams rely so heavily on PnR in their half court offense.

Svi is a little slow footed defensively and has short arms. So he might not even be great defending in a zone.

I think the biggest thing I am excited about with the Svi signing is his playmaking. He's not necessarily a guy who has put up big assist numbers, but he's a good connective passer. Out of the 8 FA wings I listed above, he's probably the best passer/play maker in the group. He even played some PG last season in Charlotte a little bit and also played a little bit of PG at the 2022 EuroBasket tournament for Ukraine.

And that playmaking/passing is much needed on this Celtics team, since we lost our starting PG and top assist % guy (Smart), did not add any guards to the team yet this offseason who are expected to be in the rotation, and we now have 3 high scoring, high usage (25% or higher), low assist (under 25%) guys in tatum, Brown and KP. So there was certainly a need for some more passing/playmaking so we could have better ball movement.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,083

Post#3 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:39 pm

If you can say “Sviatoslav Yuriyovych Mykhailiuk” 10 times in succession, the Celtics are winning the 2024 Larry O’Brien Trophy.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#4 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Ok well this is the positive way of looking at it
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,211

Post#5 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:49 pm

You can never have too much shooting so I'm happy with that signing.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#6 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:50 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't hate it but he feels redundant with Hauser

To some extent, sure. It's a little bit redundant.

On the other hand, there's quite a few differences:
-Hauser is a better, more consistent shooter

-Hauser is more of a 3/4 combo (more of a 3 but can play either forward spot), whereas Svi is more of a 2/3 combo (is pretty much equally effective at the 2 or the 3..and has even shown flashes of playing the 1, both on the Hornets and the Ukraine national team)

-This one kind of just piggybacks on the last point, but Hauser is bigger. Hauser at the combine measured 6'8" with a 6'9" wingspan. Svi at the combine measured 6'7" with a 6'5" wingspan.

-Svi is a little bit more athletic. I mean, we pretty much threw a party when Hauser dunked it in a game. I don't even know if he dunked it at all in 4 seasons playing college ball. Svi dunks with ease, even sometimes as a lob finisher. Don't get me wrong, Svi is by no means a freak athlete, but he's a little more athletic than Hauser for sure

-Hauser is a little better defensively. Hauser was out there putting the clamps on Trae Young in the playoffs a few months ago, while Josh Giddey was able to burn Svi off the dribble and score rather easily (and Trae is much harder to defend 1 on 1 than Giddey). It might be just because Hauser has 2 years under his belt in Boston, surrounded by some really good defenders where we coach defense well. Perhaps Svi just hasn't had that same type of team context. And perhaps as this season goes on, we'll see Svi improve on D. Hauser went from a crap defender when he got to Boston to then become a solid defender so it's certainly possible Svi can do the same - or at least make similar progression. But it's by no means a guarantee that Svi will improve as much on D as Hauser did. It seems clear to me that Hauser REALLY put in the work and worked his tail off to get better on D. And it seems like the Celtics over the past 2 years prioritized his development quite a bit. Not sure if those 2 things (the work ethic and the team focusing so much on his development) will be the same for Svi..

-While Hauser is the better shooter, Svi is MUCH more skilled and dynamic at everything else offensively besides shooting. Mainly, I'm talking about ball handling, getting to his spots with the ball, creating off the bounce, driving and getting to the rim, passing/playmaking, being able to drive and kick it out to a shooter, etc. All that stuff Svi is much better than Hauser. I mean, we saw last season Hauser literally could not dribble the ball up the floor with someone defending him without turning it over. Svi meanwhile, can do that like it's nothing.

-Hauser I think is a little bit better cutter

There might be some other small differences but these are the main ones.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#7 » by 165bows » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:25 pm

Hauser is the obvious comp but for me it's a lot like the team's interest in Nik Stauskas. Similarities being a somewhat taller ball handler that can also shoot - whereas Hauser is more of a pure spot up guy. Bonus with this Svi guy is he is bigger than Sauce.
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#8 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:31 pm

Could be an underrated signing.
Perhaps, unlike Hauser, he will contribute during the Playoffs...

Read on Twitter
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by 165bows » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:32 pm

Svauce Mykillo.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#10 » by 31to6 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:44 pm

Hal14 wrote:. . . Svi, Terence Davis, Danny Green, Lamar Stevens, TJ warren, Austin Rivers, Diallo, Javonte are fairly even, all things considered. I mean, we could sit here all day and debate who is better than who between these guys.

I’d hoped for Javonte, but never any indication of Celtics interest. I had hoped for a 2/3 more than a 3/4 though, so I guess success?

I’m guessing the Celtics workouts last week were a PR campaign to get Svi to make up his mind. Or find the next guy they wanted to offer a contract to. Success!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,977

Post#11 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:47 pm

Hal14
RealGM

Post#12 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:50 pm

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:Could be an underrated signing.
Perhaps, unlike Hauser, he will contribute during the Playoffs...

Read on Twitter

Hauser played well in the Hawks series. Mazzulla just didn't use him much in the playoffs - who knows, if he used Hauser more, we might have won the title - especially when you look at how cold our shooting was in the Miami series.

Grant being gone opens up more mins for Hauser. I think with Grant being gone and with Hauser now in his 3rd season in the league (2nd season as a rotation player) there's a good chance that this season he sees more playoff minutes.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#13 » by Jammer » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:56 pm

For those who are not familiar,

Sviatoslav "Svi" Yuriyovych Mykhailiuk is a Ukrainian professional basketball player who last played for the Charlotte Hornets of the National Basketball Association. He was selected with the 47th overall pick of the 2018 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Lakers.

Pronunciation: \svee muh-KAI-luke\

Good Luck.

:D

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mykhasv01.html
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,737

Post#14 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:12 pm

Will he get any mins though LOL! ?
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
Hal14
RealGM

Post#15 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:12 pm

Reasons to be optimistic for Svi's shooting...

-36% career from 3

-42.4% from 3 last season

-Volume is a good indicator of future 3PT shooting ability. For his career, he has shot 10.6 3PA per 100 possessions which is very good volume. That number is higher than Lamar Stevens, higher than TJ Warren, higher than Danny Green, higher than Javonte Green, Austin Rivers, Diallo, etc. Obviously, Mazzulla encourages his team to shoot a high volume of 3's, so getting a guy who shoots 10+ threes per 100 possessions (on good efficiency) is a good fit.

-His last 10 games of last season in Charlotte he shot 39.4% from 3 on 7.1 attempts per game.

-Last season he shot 43.9% on catch and shoot 3's

-Age 26, didn't start getting regular mins in the NBA till age 22. A little bit of a late bloomer. He's probably just now entering his prime. That hot streak shooting and scoring the ball towards the end of last season in Charlotte was probably not a mirage - it was probably a sign of things to come. Some of the struggles he had earlier in his career - he was younger then and was still developing, still getting used to the NBA game, there was COVID, etc.

His hot streak end of last season was also a continuation of what he showed at EuroBasket during August of 2022, when he averaged 17 PPG. The efficiency was just ok, not great but he was Ukraine's go-to scorer. He averaged 17 PPG and their next leading scorer only averaged 12 PPG. The only other NBA player on that Ukraine team was Alex Len and he only averaged 8 PPG. He put up 25 points vs Italy and 16 points vs Greece team with Giannis on it. So considering he was THE primary scorer on a team that didn't have much offensive firepower (meaning teams loaded up their defense to stop him) then volume and efficiency of his scoring and shooting was very good, imo.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by 165bows » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:18 pm

Already looking forward to the Banton-Mykhailiuk-Walsh-Brissett-Kornet mop up crews.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#17 » by jirrit » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:20 pm

Hal14 wrote:Posted this in the trade thread but I guess I'll re-post here:

Alright, let's go! Finally. haha, so much speculating and chatter about who our deep bench wing, 14th man signing would be.

Now, we finally know!

He wasn't my top choice for this spot. But honestly, I think that between Svi, Terence Davis, Danny Green, Lamar Stevens, TJ warren, Austin Rivers, Diallo, Javonte are fairly even, all things considered. I mean, we could sit here all day and debate who is better than who between these guys.

They all have pros and cons. At this point in all of their careers, there really isn't a whole lot of separation between these 8 guys, imo. And whoever we ended up signing for this spot, is likely not going to make or break our season. If it does, then something went horribly wrong with other guys on the roster who we're counting on to deliver more than Svi.

It really comes down to which 1 of those 8 guys actually wants to come here. Which one wants to be in Boston, with "this group" (as Al would say haha), which one would be cool with signing for the limited $ and limited role that we have to offer?

I kind of wish we got someone who is a better defender. Stevens, Rivers, Davis. Possibly even Danny Green coming off the torn ACL and possibly Warren can defend better than Svi. Perhaps with this move, we will be planning on playing some more zone defense? We saw it a little bit in summer league. And Porzingis might fit better in a zone D than a switching man to man. And zone D forces opponents to play less PnR, which takes them out of their gameplan since many teams rely so heavily on PnR in their half court offense.

Svi is a little slow footed defensively and has short arms. So he might not even be great defending in a zone.

I think the biggest thing I am excited about with the Svi signing is his playmaking. He's not necessarily a guy who has put up big assist numbers, but he's a good connective passer. Out of the 8 FA wings I listed above, he's probably the best passer/play maker in the group. He even played some PG last season in Charlotte a little bit and also played a little bit of PG at the 2022 EuroBasket tournament for Ukraine.

And that playmaking/passing is much needed on this Celtics team, since we lost our starting PG and top assist % guy (Smart), did not add any guards to the team yet this offseason who are expected to be in the rotation, and we now have 3 high scoring, high usage (25% or higher), low assist (under 25%) guys in tatum, Brown and KP. So there was certainly a need for some more passing/playmaking so we could have better ball movement.

Thanks good post to keep me up to date!
Hal14
RealGM

Post#18 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:21 pm

MrGreenRunsDeep wrote:Will he get any mins though LOL! ?

Sure, why not? It's a long, grueling season. We need the depth, especially with a bunch of old / injury prone guys on the team.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,000

Post#19 » by Parliament10 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:23 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,259

Post#20 » by itrsteve » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:25 pm

Hal14 wrote:Posted this in the trade thread but I guess I'll re-post here:

Now, we finally know!

I feel like you wrote this post six weeks ago and had it ready to rip.

Return to Boston Celtics