ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Svi Mykhailiuk!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,679

Re: Welcome to Boston, Svi Mykhailiuk! 

Post#81 » by steefP2 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:45 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:If his only glaring flaw is his defense, I think Cs can work with that. Surprised another team didn't bid higher for his services. Or maybe he just really likes to play for the greatest sports team in history? Lots to like with this guy. He's a lock to make the roster for me. And a good shot at making the regular season (10-man) rotation.

He’s talented and has good feel but I still worry about him “juanchoing” aka in real games everything would be close but not in. If he hits he can be Fournier but man that defense is pretty atrocious. I like him though
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#82 » by cl2117 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:17 am

Svi seems like the guy I want playing with the bench unit and Hauser is the guy I want with the starters.

They're both knockdown shooters, but Svi's a much better ball-handler and playmaker. I like that mix with the 2nd unit as a wing that can help be the straw that stirs the drink, but I don't want to be adding yet another guy out there with the top 6 who thinks he could/should have the ball in his hands. Hauser on the other hand seems to have marginally better defense and is more content to be the outlet for when teams collapse or focus too much on our stars.

It's not that I don't think Svi can fill that role with the top 6, but I just see him as being far more likely to take the ball out of the hands of our studs when he's out there. We're so top heavy we don't need that. When we start running with more of a mixed unit, that's his time to shine as a guy who can attack and create more for others/himself with the ball in his hands (or off-ball).

It'll be really interesting to see how minutes get distributed on the wing because Stevens and Walsh don't have the offensive chops Sam and Svi do, but they bring strong defensive presence when they're out there. Brissett gives a bulkier option and Banton has the size to play there despite being a "PG".

Joe's got a lot of options there and at the point now. Brad's really given him a ton to work with outside of the frontcourt.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,081

Post#83 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:02 pm

Maybe our 2nd best player outside of top 6 just basing off on 3 preseason games.

Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#84 » by Scoonie » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:27 pm

I really liked Svi last year when he played for the Hornets, and I was very happy we signed him.

To me, he's a more athletic, better ballhandling version of Hauser. I hope that he is in our regular rotation during the regular season.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,968

Post#85 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:01 pm

The shooting in the top 6 + PP/Hauser/Svi is crazy. We can get away with using non shooters like Brissy or Stevens with those lineups
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,081

Post#86 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:07 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:The shooting in the top 6 + PP/Hauser/Svi is crazy. We can get away with using non shooters like Brissy or Stevens with those lineups

Yep, but Joe has got to use them better than just standing in the corner waiting for the kickout/swing pass. Both can make plays on the short roll if they act as screener. Or cutter from wing as Jrue or White drive baseline. Or hang around dunker spot for potential dropoff or putback.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#87 » by Hal14 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Scoonie wrote:I really liked Svi last year when he played for the Hornets, and I was very happy we signed him.

To me, he's a more athletic, better ballhandling version of Hauser. I hope that he is in our regular rotation during the regular season.

Yup, more athletic, better ball handler and better passing version of Hauser.

Hauser though is about an inch (maybe 2) taller, has 2 more years under his belt in the Celtics system, building chemistry with our guys. Hauser is also a slightly better, more consistent shooter (although I think Svi is a little better shooting off movement)..a slightly better defender..and perhaps a better cutter.

I think there will definitely be an opportunity for both to contribute this season.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#88 » by Hal14 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:14 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:The shooting in the top 6 + PP/Hauser/Svi is crazy. We can get away with using non shooters like Brissy or Stevens with those lineups

Yep, but Joe has got to use them better than just standing in the corner waiting for the kickout/swing pass. Both can make plays on the short roll if they act as screener. Or cutter from wing as Jrue or White drive baseline. Or hang around dunker spot for potential dropoff or putback.

True. Tbf, there was that one play last night where Lamar started to cut to the basket, looked like he could have had an open layup/dunk if we passed it to him..but instead Pritchard passed it to the corner, where Lamar was cutting from, and it went out of bounds.

Plays like that, are just an example of guys getting used to playing together. There's been a bunch of plays like that throughout these 3 games where it looks kind of ugly - which is why we shouldn't read too deep into preseason - especially with so many new guys on the team and such little practice time we have had before the preseason games started up.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
50yrceltsfan
Sophomore
And1: 233

Post#89 » by 50yrceltsfan » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:25 pm

He's got a little Goran Dragic about him.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,870

Post#90 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:28 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Maybe our 2nd best player outside of top 6 just basing off on 3 preseason games.

Pritch
Svi
Stevens/Brissett

All have shown me enough.

Walsh I havent seen much of
Hauser was bad for 2 of the games
Kornet sucks
TH15
Freshman
And1: 95

Post#91 » by TH15 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:36 pm

I like the Fournier comparison, just minus the diva on-court attitude, which is huge. Svi plays with better intensity and physicality, makes quick decisions and seems to have good bball IQ/instincts.

If he can balance picking his spots when playing with our stars and taking on a larger role with bench units, he could be the perfect plug and play utility player.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#92 » by playa-hater » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:36 pm

I think SVI can fit in nicely rotating with our main 7 or 8 because his shooting of course but he can re-create well and pass on hard close outs.

In comparisons, I think Hauser can make more difficult 3s and get hotter faster, but also can be more streaky for good and bad. Hauser still seems like a better defender and with his size a better rebounder.

Also think Svi is better suited as a backup 2-guard and Hauser a 3-4.. so they may not have to be in competition with each other.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#93 » by 31to6 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:48 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Scoonie wrote:I really liked Svi last year when he played for the Hornets, and I was very happy we signed him.

Yup, more athletic, better ball handler and better passing version of Hauser.

Hauser though is about an inch (maybe 2) taller, has 2 more years under his belt in the Celtics system, building chemistry with our guys. Hauser is also a slightly better, more consistent shooter (although I think Svi is a little better shooting off movement)..a slightly better defender..and perhaps a better cutter.

I think there will definitely be an opportunity for both to contribute this season.

If Jrue and Derrick start, I think Svi is the backup 2, with Pritchard as backup 1 and Hauser as backup 3. Brissett and Stevens fight for the backup 4 minutes. Svi and Hauser are both white shooters, but different games/roles/positions.

Banton, Walsh, and Queta are developmental/blowout-only guys.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,986

Post#94 » by jfs1000d » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:11 pm

steefP2 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:If his only glaring flaw is his defense, I think Cs can work with that. Surprised another team didn't bid higher for his services. Or maybe he just really likes to play for the greatest sports team in history? Lots to like with this guy. He's a lock to make the roster for me. And a good shot at making the regular season (10-man) rotation.

He’s talented and has good feel but I still worry about him “juanchoing” aka in real games everything would be close but not in. If he hits he can be Fournier but man that defense is pretty atrocious. I like him though

He plays when he makes shots. If he doesnt makes shots, and his defense is awful, he sits. Not every player on the team has to be a high ceiling guy. THat's what got us in trouble in the inge era. Too many players who were developmentally, theoretically, with high ceilings but with no developed high-level skill.

Brad is doing opposite. He is like Miami and Pat Riley. He has his stars, and core players -- the top 6. He is filling in vet role players around them who can play off those guys. The role players will have their strengths amplified playing with that core 6, and their weaknesses hidden.

But none of our 7-15 is going to be mistaken or sold as a future all-star, or as a potential high leverage trade piece. The only one I see that even has potential to develop like that is Walsh since he is young, has a wiry body and athletic, great skills and was a top 10 kid out of high school. But he's years away.

That's why PP is gonna be a monster off the bench this season.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,462

Post#95 » by celtxman » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:31 pm

This signing looks good. He can really contribute
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
rowdyrowdy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#96 » by rowdyrowdy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:22 pm

Seems like he has solid roll player potential for us. What options do we have to retain him after this year considering >2nd apron status? Min contract only?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,970

Post#97 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:32 pm

I like the idea of Pritchard, Mykhailiuk and Hauser gunning on the 2nd unit.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,587

Post#98 » by lon3lytoaster » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:38 pm

Liked him so far. Defensively has been nothing special but interested to see him on a good team. He cooked for Charlotte towards the end of last year.

Surprised he didn’t go back to Europe, but happy he’s here. Much like people talk about adjusting the starting lineup based on match ups, you can do the same with Brissett, Svi, Hauser and Stevens. Pritchard and Svi are very interesting offensively to me.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#99 » by Hal14 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:35 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:I like the idea of Pritchard, Mykhailiuk and Hauser gunning on the 2nd unit.

Offensively, yes that works. Just now sure if those 3 guys on the floor together against a team of legit NBA players would hold up defensively. We might give up lots of points and then Joe has to quickly scramble to put starters back in - especially if Kornet is also on the floor.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,970

Post#100 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:00 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I like the idea of Pritchard, Mykhailiuk and Hauser gunning on the 2nd unit.

Offensively, yes that works. Just now sure if those 3 guys on the floor together against a team of legit NBA players would hold up defensively. We might give up lots of points and then Joe has to quickly scramble to put starters back in - especially if Kornet is also on the floor.

Just score more than you let up :lol:

Return to Boston Celtics