ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! 

Post#361 » by 165bows » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:10 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Yup, I defininately am a fan of Queta.

I think will be absolutely 3rd big next season, especially if he starts making them threes. Keep either BRissett or X for the backup at PF and we are looking BIG.

PF: Tatum/Horford/Brissett or X
C: Porzingis/Queta/Kornet

Good point, maybe they do move on from Brissett despite his (somewhat) controlling his future with the option.

KP/Kornet/Queta
Tatum/Horford/Tillman
Brown/Hauser/Walsh
Holiday/Springer
White/Pritchard

...that gives them one open roster spot before the open roster they've been generally keeping, and can put a draft pick on a two-way, likely along with Peterson.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,870

Post#362 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:29 pm

165bows wrote:

I think will be absolutely 3rd big next season, especially if he starts making them threes. Keep either BRissett or X for the backup at PF and we are looking BIG.

Good point, maybe they do move on from Brissett despite his (somewhat) controlling his future with the option.

KP/Kornet/Queta
Tatum/Horford/Tillman
Brown/Hauser/Walsh
Holiday/Springer
White/Pritchard

...that gives them one open roster spot before the open roster they've been generally keeping, and can put a draft pick on a two-way, likely along with Peterson.

Feel like that must be the plan. Move him with a couple picks to grab a "impact" bench guard. Seems like they like Tillman a lot already seeing how he is already loggin more minutes than Brissett since arrival.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,667

Post#363 » by NuckyPowell » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:04 pm

Queta has higher upside than Kornet, and Kornet is a pretty good 3rd center. I understand it has been a small sample size of meaningful minutes, but Queta has been impressive in real NBA minutes when pressed into duty earlier this year. I would definitely sign him with some team option years on the end. I expect this kid to blossom once he gets a bunch of NBA minutes under him.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#364 » by 165bows » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:29 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
165bows wrote:

KP/Kornet/Queta
Tatum/Horford/Tillman
Brown/Hauser/Walsh
Holiday/Springer
White/Pritchard

Feel like that must be the plan. Move him with a couple picks to grab a "impact" bench guard. Seems like they like Tillman a lot already seeing how he is already loggin more minutes than Brissett since arrival.

He doesn't make enough to realistically bring anyone back in trade (other than another vet min/rookie scale guy), so I think if Brissett doesn't come back, he either gets salary dumped, drops his option, or another team is just happy to take him on in trade to fill a roster spot.

Worth noting on the above discussion of the general cost of the backup FA bigs, they already added an additional ~2M in salary for next year to take a proverbial flier on Springer, so I don't think they are allergic to that kind of extra money going out.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,462

Post#365 » by celtxman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:42 pm

If he is good with a minimum salary starting at around $2 million per, then I don't see why they wouldn't sign him now. The Celtics will be way to busy dealing with Tatum, White, Holiday and maybe even Hauser, to worry about what happens if Tillman and/or Kornet leave. And if they stay - great! How hard would it be to trade Queta's contract? Cheap insurance at worst and IMO Queta has upside.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#366 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:36 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:As for Queta -- at this point there's no reason for him to agree to a bargain deal until he knows which of Tillman and Kornet are or aren't staying with the Cs.

If he's not in line for playing time, he should at least test RFA.

he's not in line for PT
:lol:
I really do not understand the Queta fascination from so many here !
dude can do NOTHING to facilitate or score outside of 12 inches

I get the size and D and rebounding some but he is not elite in anyof these areas and too slow-footed to switch

can he maybe become a KP on D (very similar traits) ? Maybe.

do we really need that ? NO.

We definitely need another good Backup Center.
Horford wont be around forever, and Porzingis is Injury-prone.

KP is kind of injury prone and needs to be rested for some games here and there, yes. Which is why you need at least 3 (ideally 4) guys on the team who can play the 5. We have 4 centers ahead of Queta on the depth chart - KP, Al, Kornet, Tillman. So Queta is really not needed - which is why he has barely gotten any playing time since we traded for Tillman.

Sure, Kornet and Tillman are FA this summer..so I think the only way Queta is a Celtic next season is if Kornet and/or Tillman are no resigned by the Celtics.

As for Horford, he's under contract for next season..so replacing him is not something we need to worry about right now. And he's showing no signs of slowing down, has played some great basketball this season and there's been basically no rumors/reports indicating he'll retire anytime soon..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,546

Post#367 » by Kalela » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:23 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:Queta has higher upside than Kornet, and Kornet is a pretty good 3rd center. I understand it has been a small sample size of meaningful minutes, but Queta has been impressive in real NBA minutes when pressed into duty earlier this year. I would definitely sign him with some team option years on the end. I expect this kid to blossom once he gets a bunch of NBA minutes under him.

100%. He can probably contribute in the playoffs this season with Hoford being old as time and Porzingis not able to handle players who go into his body. I wonder if they will ever convert his two-way contract though.
Fire Mazzulla
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,707

Post#368 » by SLCceltic » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:10 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:Queta has higher upside than Kornet, and Kornet is a pretty good 3rd center. I understand it has been a small sample size of meaningful minutes, but Queta has been impressive in real NBA minutes when pressed into duty earlier this year. I would definitely sign him with some team option years on the end. I expect this kid to blossom once he gets a bunch of NBA minutes under him.

In what way do you seen him 'blosssoming' ? He has great size but pretty slow, he cannot move the ball well, much lessfacilitate. He gives you nothing Offensively aside from put-backs off of offensive-rebounds. He cannot switch on D. There's not much ceiling left, Dude's gonna be 25 in July !!

What can Queta do better than LuKe ???
ROYALGREEN
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,977

Post#369 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:14 pm

SLCceltic wrote:

In what way do you seen him 'blosssoming' ? He has great size but pretty slow, he cannot move the ball well, much lessfacilitate. He gives you nothing Offensively aside from put-backs off of offensive-rebounds. He cannot switch on D. There's not much ceiling left, Dude's gonna be 25 in July !!

He's about 8 times more physical than Kornet, which can be useful in certain matchups. But I don't see Queta improving much more either, unless he develops a three-pointer (entirely possible).
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,707

Post#370 » by SLCceltic » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:37 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

He's about 8 times more physical than Kornet, which can be useful in certain matchups. But I don't see Queta improving much more either, unless he develops a three-pointer (entirely possible).

For sure, Queta can def be more physical and hold his ground better inside !

If he develops a consistent 3pt shot then maybe he is worth keeping around and developing. But from what I've seen already, I'm not holding my breath.

If he could move the ball better and set great (smart) screens, I would view him alot differently bc I do love his size and physicality
ROYALGREEN
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#371 » by brackdan70 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:44 pm

All these new posts…I expected to see some news in here :(
Sign here
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,667

Post#372 » by NuckyPowell » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:05 pm

SLCceltic wrote:

I don't see him as being anywhere near as slow as you do. I have seen him stay with smaller guys on the perimeter reasonably well. Certainly, much better than Kornet can. He is a much better rebounder than Kornet. He's similar to Kornet as a rim protector. He's more physical than Kornet. Neither one of them is any offensive threat other than right near the rim. I thought he filled in nicely when Al or KP were out (and I think Kornet was out for awhile, giving Queta his opportunity, and he played very well. Bottom line, I think he is at least Kornet's equal with more room to improve. The improvement part will come with minutes. Kornet has been afforded way more minutes. It's fine if you don't see it that way. Apparently, I was way more impressed with what I saw from Queta than you were. Back when he was getting those regular minutes, I liked his play better than Kornet's. I thought he was more impactful back then. Now, since Luke came back and Joe chose to give all those minutes to Kornet, Kornet has been better than I thought he could be. I still think Queta's ceiling is higher, but it's not something that will make or break the team. As Bobby would say "He's your third center. What do you want?"

Anyway, I like him better than you do. It's fine.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#373 » by Gant » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:19 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

I don't see him as being anywhere near as slow as you do. I have seen him stay with smaller guys on the perimeter reasonably well. Certainly, much better than Kornet can. He is a much better rebounder than Kornet. He's similar to Kornet as a rim protector. He's more physical than Kornet. Neither one of them is any offensive threat other than right near the rim. I thought he filled in nicely when Al or KP were out (and I think Kornet was out for awhile, giving Queta his opportunity, and he played very well. Bottom line, I think he is at least Kornet's equal with more room to improve. The improvement part will come with minutes. Kornet has been afforded way more minutes. It's fine if you don't see it that way. Apparently, I was way more impressed with what I saw from Queta than you were. Back when he was getting those regular minutes, I liked his play better than Kornet's. I thought he was more impactful back then. Now, since Luke came back and Joe chose to give all those minutes to Kornet, Kornet has been better than I thought he could. I still think Queta's ceiling is higher, but it's not something that will make or break the team. As Bobby would say "He's your third center. What do you want?"

Anyway, I like him better than you do. It's fine.

That's true. The average distance of Kornet's fga is 2.1 feet. The average distance of Queta's fga is 3.0 feet.

Kornet can actually shoot the three a bit; he just doesn't ever try. Queta is working on it in practice. He has the potential to move his offense a bit more away from the basket. A video from January:

https://www.tiktok.com/@howboutthemcs/video/7322590589327854890

In vague meaningless news, this is from a Portugese article today:

With the NBA regular season nearing its end and the Portuguese center on a two-way contract with the Celtics, Neemias hopes to sign a 'standard' contract so he can be eligible for the play-offs.

https://www-record-pt.translate.goog/modalidades/basquetebol/nba/detalhe/neemias-queta-ajuda-maine-celtics-a-atingirem-a-final-da-g-league?ref=Modalidades_DestaquesPrincipais&_x_tr_sl=pt&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#374 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:23 pm

brackdan70 wrote:All these new posts…I expected to see some news in here :(

We're just bored I guess lol.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,526

Post#375 » by snowman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:57 pm

165bows wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
165bows wrote:Good point, maybe they do move on from Brissett despite his (somewhat) controlling his future with the option.

KP/Kornet/Queta
Tatum/Horford/Tillman
Brown/Hauser/Walsh
Holiday/Springer
White/Pritchard

He doesn't make enough to realistically bring anyone back in trade (other than another vet min/rookie scale guy), so I think if Brissett doesn't come back, he either gets salary dumped, drops his option, or another team is just happy to take him on in trade to fill a roster spot.

Worth noting on the above discussion of the general cost of the backup FA bigs, they already added an additional ~2M in salary for next year to take a proverbial flier on Springer, so I don't think they are allergic to that kind of extra money going out.

I actually see the wings different, but the bigs the same:

KP/Kornet/Queta
Tatum/Horford/Tillman
Brown/Hauser/Brissett
Holiday/Walsh/Springer
White/Pritchard/Davison

Davison and Queta signed to a regular contract since I don't believe they can be a 2-way for us again, Svi let go, and our first-round pick, number 30 and a guaranteed salary, traded for a 2nd in this draft and a future 2nd to replace our 2 open 2-way spots to go along with the 2nd we already have and Peterson.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,079

Post#376 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:04 am

Congrats, Quetsy!
Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,079

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! -- Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024) 

Post#377 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:11 am

Yahoo?? (That wasn’t my comment. Not that I’m not thrilled to have him on board.)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,996

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024) 

Post#378 » by Parliament10 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:16 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Yahoo?? (That wasn’t my comment. Not that I’m not thrilled to have him on board.)

Absolutely!!! I'm Glad and Excited to have him onboard, for a Regular NBA Contract.

Edit:
Oh. Sorry Zoya. I mistakenly Added to your post, instead of Quoting it.
I'm overly excited. Can you tell?

P.S.: I removed the added comment.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,996

Post#379 » by Parliament10 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:22 am

Read on Twitter

Congratulations!!!

Welcome onboard to the Big Club.

Queta can still go down to the G League, like Jordan Walsh does.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#380 » by Gant » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:26 am

Great news. Queta earned it. He's the best rebounder on the team.

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics