ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Re: Welcome to Boston, Quetsy! 

Post#41 » by playa-hater » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:19 pm

I hope that Queta gets a legit chance at beating out Kornet for the 3rd/4th spot. Not saying he should or not. But I am guessing Q might already be a better defender and rebounder. Possibly better at finishing. Kornet can move the ball better shoot a little and is certainly more comfortable with the team at this point. But as reasonable as Kornet is for a 3rd/4th string center, he seems to be at his ceiling already (not too high). Getting a younger upgrade would be nice.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#42 » by sam_I_am » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:53 pm

I like the signing as a 2 way.

He may be another Kabengele - too good for G-league but not quite good enough for NBA. Where he has more potential than Fi did is with his size and length and above the rim play. In that way he is a lot like Kornet but I think right now Kornet is still much better.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,195

Post#43 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:09 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
31to6 wrote:Love it. Those who know me know each year I like the BIGS in the draft so Queta was one of my binkies. And given that Azubuike was my favorite SL prospect, this guy has a little less size (still huge!) and lot more to his game.

1. 7’4” wingspan = yes please
2. Tries to dunk everything. Often effective doing so.
3. Tries to block everything. Also not bad at it.
4. Good motor.
5. Good athleticism running the floor.
6. But also has some moves on the block (uptakes, pivots, jump hook shot) and also makes some nice passes — not quite Trevion Williams, but shades of it.
7. Has attempted jump shots — and looks stiff and clanks them. But this speaks to his desire/hope — even if ill-founded — of diversifying his game.

Downsides:
1. Slow processor.
2. Sometimes overly ambitious.
3. Poor ball control especially WRT any dribbles.

Maine with call-ups as needed is perfect for this guy.

And I believe the most exciting part of it is that if the Cs use 3 two-way slots they have to start the season with 15 players on the “real” roster, right? So that means there’s even more excitement ahead. Or they give up on or promote Queta, Scrubb, or Davison.

But Queta was a decent prospect to shake loose, and glad they were able to get him here in this role. I wonder if they promised him he could compete for spot #15 in camp?

:o :lol:

Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM

Post#44 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:11 pm

playa-hater wrote:I hope that Queta gets a legit chance at beating out Kornet for the 3rd/4th spot. Not saying he should or not. But I am guessing Q might already be a better defender and rebounder. Possibly better at finishing. Kornet can move the ball better shoot a little and is certainly more comfortable with the team at this point. But as reasonable as Kornet is for a 3rd/4th string center, he seems to be at his ceiling already (not too high). Getting a younger upgrade would be nice.

Queta's passing is the most surprising part of his game to me*. 2.5 APG in college, and will back out of the post to sling it to the opposite corners. Not always executed well, but he fancies himself more of a playmaker than most would assume looking at a picture of him and/or his measurements.

*Actually the most surprising part of his game to me is his jump shots. Those look like they should not happen:)
31to6
RealGM

Post#45 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:17 pm

165bows wrote:
31to6 wrote:Love it. Those who know me know each year I like the BIGS in the draft so Queta was one of my binkies. And given that Azubuike was my favorite SL prospect, this guy has a little less size (still huge!) and lot more to his game.

4. Good motor.
6. But also has some moves on the block (uptakes, pivots, jump hook shot) and also makes some nice passes — not quite Trevion Williams, but shades of it.
7. Has attempted jump shots — and looks stiff and clanks them. But this speaks to his desire/hope — even if ill-founded — of diversifying his game.

Downsides:
1. Slow processor.

And I believe the most exciting part of it is that if the Cs use 3 two-way slots they have to start the season with 15 players on the “real” roster, right? So that means there’s even more excitement ahead. Or they give up on or promote Queta, Scrubb, or Davison.

But Queta was a decent prospect to shake loose, and glad they were able to get him here in this role. I wonder if they promised him he could compete for spot #15 in camp?

Yup. Everyone knows the team targets big men that can pass. Byproduct is they can tend to be a bit smaller or even softer type big men. Meaning we don’t get a ton of power dunkers on the team.

This year’s team (not that Queta will play much RS) should be dunking the ball at a *much* higher rate than last year’s team, even more so now in garbage time and preseason. Brissett for Grant and Zinger for Smart was a move in that direction to threaten the rim and this guy dunks and hopefully they can develop him.

Second the “love a big dunker” notion here.

Queta can and will dunk with one hand, including when it looks like he can't possibly reach the rim, but a lot of his highlights make him look like he went to the Brandon Bass School of TWO HAND DUNKZ!! Also: maybe the highest knee-raises (Shaq style) I can remember seeing.

I doubt he plays more than 100 minutes for the 'big' Celtics this year (and hope he doesn't, since it'd mean injuries for our main bigs), but I still want double digit dunks out of him. And now, on that note, for one of the greatest musical compositions of all time:
31to6
RealGM

Post#46 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:19 pm

I WILL BE THE HAL OF NEEIMAS QUETA I mean sorry Hal over to you my friend:)

It's like the Tacko-Fall-sized hole in my fandom has finally been mostly filled
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,507

Post#47 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:48 pm

31to6 wrote:
165bows wrote:

4. Good motor.

Downsides:
1. Slow processor.

Yup. Everyone knows the team targets big men that can pass. Byproduct is they can tend to be a bit smaller or even softer type big men. Meaning we don’t get a ton of power dunkers on the team.

This year’s team (not that Queta will play much RS) should be dunking the ball at a *much* higher rate than last year’s team, even more so now in garbage time and preseason. Brissett for Grant and Zinger for Smart was a move in that direction to threaten the rim and this guy dunks and hopefully they can develop him.

Second the “love a big dunker” notion here.

Queta can and will dunk with one hand, including when it looks like he can't possibly reach the rim, but a lot of his highlights make him look like he went to the Brandon Bass School of TWO HAND DUNKZ!! Also: maybe the highest knee-raises (Shaq style) I can remember seeing.

I doubt he plays more than 100 minutes for the 'big' Celtics this year (and hope he doesn't, since it'd mean injuries for our main bigs), but I still want double digit dunks out of him. And now, on that note, for one of the greatest musical compositions of all time:

Love the Video.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,765

Post#48 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:08 pm

31to6 wrote:I WILL BE THE HAL OF NEEIMAS QUETA I mean sorry Hal over to you my friend:)

You’re only six inches short. Just jam some Twinkies mixed in with some putty into that extra space and you’re good.
31to6
RealGM

Post#49 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:18 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
31to6 wrote:I WILL BE THE HAL OF NEEIMAS QUETA I mean sorry Hal over to you my friend:)

You’re only six inches short. Just jam some Twinkies mixed in with some putty into that extra space and you’re good.

oh I never have a problem coming up with six inches ;)
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,169

Post#50 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:20 pm

Frankly I'm getting tired of all these tall athletic guys with long arms. I miss the DA days of looking for the next Barkley, prototypical 6'6 320 lb centers like Sullinger and BB Davis. Combine them with some 5'10 guards in the second round and we'd be out of room for banners by now.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,459

Post#51 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:26 pm

31to6 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

I hope my dream of a chip this season doesn’t end like this one. :D
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
ryan in Maine
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,769

Post#52 » by ryan in Maine » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:28 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
31to6 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:You’re only six inches short. Just jam some Twinkies mixed in with some putty into that extra space and you’re good.

31 to 6 is a net loss of 25 inches.

:dontknow:
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Post#53 » by playa-hater » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:05 pm

31to6 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I hope that Queta gets a legit chance at beating out Kornet for the 3rd/4th spot. Not saying he should or not. But I am guessing Q might already be a better defender and rebounder. Possibly better at finishing. Kornet can move the ball better shoot a little and is certainly more comfortable with the team at this point. But as reasonable as Kornet is for a 3rd/4th string center, he seems to be at his ceiling already (not too high). Getting a younger upgrade would be nice.

Queta's passing is the most surprising part of his game to me*. 2.5 APG in college, and will back out of the post to sling it to the opposite corners. Not always executed well, but he fancies himself more of a playmaker than most would assume looking at a picture of him and/or his measurements.

*Actually the most surprising part of his game to me is his jump shots. Those look like they should not happen:)

Not aware that he's a solid passer as you say.. But I actually think with this team It may be more important than any kind of outside Shooting..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
31to6
RealGM

Post#54 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:18 pm

ryan in Maine wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
31to6 wrote:

tempted to respond but the board has been playing in this sandbox plenty this offseason

Spoiler:
and it's getting hard to see it going on longer.

YAY QUETA!
yay 7'4" wingspan!
He only played 2 SL games this year because he got banged up :(
Here's his draft profile vid from a couple of years ago!
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,459

Post#55 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:23 pm

31to6 wrote:
ryan in Maine wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:

tempted to respond but the board has been playing in this sandbox plenty this offseason

Spoiler:
and it's getting hard to see it going on longer.

YAY QUETA!
yay 7'4" wingspan!
He only played 2 SL games this year because he got banged up :(
Here's his draft profile vid from a couple of years ago!

I hope we win so much that we have a lot of margin of error to play guys that wouldn't get to otherwise.

atp, I'm firing myself from modding bc how hard is it to choose quote instead of mindlessly hitting edit!!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,326

Post#56 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:46 pm

The very knowledgeable HomeRunBaker on Queta:

I'm very familiar with this player from his college days and I can assure everyone he's no threat to Kornet's role. He used his length, wingspan and stationary athleticism (best way to describe it since he's not mobile) to defend the rim defensively and overpower smaller post players offensively. He has below average ball skills....and is another of those guys who should hate Steph Curry as he'd probably have a role in this league 15 years ago. I haven't seen him ever defend a pick and roll but with his mobility I'm guessing that it wouldn't be pretty. Think a poor man's Roy Hibbert without the offensively ball skills.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#57 » by Hal14 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:18 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,305

Post#58 » by djFan71 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:41 am

Solid 2 way signing. Addresses some emergency need for the big club if we need to call him up, but without taking a full roster. Then see if he develops.

I’m ready for the Tatum, Al backcourt with Rob, Zinger, Queta frontcourt.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,139

Post#59 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:15 pm

captain green wrote:I'm beyond trying different superstitions but I'll keep it chaotic neutral. So at least he is tall.

You know what they say: "You can't teach wingspan."
31to6
RealGM

Post#60 » by 31to6 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:20 pm

suggested nickname -- we need more things to misspell ;)
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Quetzalcoatl

Return to Boston Celtics