ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024) 

Post#421 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:23 pm

I don't think this was the best use of the 15th spot for this year's team. He's behind Porzingis/Horford/Kornet/Tillman. Unlikely he contributes at all. BUT, the multi year piece makes it worth it because Kornet and/or Tillman could be gone so locking in some reserve depth behind those top 2 load managed guys is huge.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#422 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:33 pm

Tillman defensively looks like our best chance at an Al replacement with the current budget. Does that make Queta the Kornet replacement if/when he outprices himself and this signing signals they're prioritizing resigning Tillman over Kornet?
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,402

Post#423 » by Homerclease » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:38 pm

shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Don't think Big Al is giving up his $9.5 million for next season regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

Al is gonna end his NBA career the same way he did his college career. With back to back championships :D

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#424 » by playa-hater » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:44 pm

a Win Win and Win... For Brad (again shocker!) Boston and Queta of course. Do wonder what his salary is however.. 2 million per I hope at least.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,081

Post#425 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:01 pm

playa-hater wrote:a Win Win and Win... For Brad (again shocker!) Boston and Queta of course. Do wonder what his salary is however.. 2 million per I hope at least.

Read on Twitter

My guess is they waive him in the offseason and immediately re-sign him to a longer contract using Non-Bird Rights. They probably have gone over with him and his agent how that'll go.

Signing him now avoids the risk of another team swooping in in the summer.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,718

Post#426 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:25 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
playa-hater wrote:a Win Win and Win... For Brad (again shocker!) Boston and Queta of course. Do wonder what his salary is however.. 2 million per I hope at least.

Read on Twitter

My guess is they waive him in the offseason and immediately re-sign him to a longer contract using Non-Bird Rights. They probably have gone over with him and his agent how that'll go.

So basically:

-- Queta is eligible for the playoffs.
-- Queta gets a little bit more money than he otherwise would have gotten.
-- Queta gives up the flexibility and bargaining power of RFA, whatever those might have amounted to, for one year.
-- Cs will have Early Bird Rights on Queta in 2025. (But they won't have Gilbert Arenas rights, because of the apron.)

Is that correct?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#427 » by Dogen » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:24 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I don't think this was the best use of the 15th spot for this year's team. He's behind Porzingis/Horford/Kornet/Tillman. Unlikely he contributes at all. BUT, the multi year piece makes it worth it because Kornet and/or Tillman could be gone so locking in some reserve depth behind those top 2 load managed guys is huge.

I preferred some vet wing help, but that shipped sailed, so yeah this was the best move remaining.

Happy for Queta, happy for the team. Good optics, and he could actually contribute a bit if needed.

At very least, if Celtics meet 76ers in first round, Queta is probably the best bench option to pound on Embiid for a few minutes when called upon. It's always nice to have some extra size on the bench.
Hey you! Can we come together?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#428 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:25 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Read on Twitter

So basically:

-- Queta gives up the flexibility and bargaining power of RFA, whatever those might have amounted to, for one year.
-- Cs will have Early Bird Rights on Queta in 2025. (But they won't have Gilbert Arenas rights, because of the apron.)

Is that correct?

-- Yes, correct.
-- I believe so, yeah.
-- He could've taken QO if he really wanted to be UFA by 2025.
-- Dunno about the Gilbert Arenas thing, but yes, Cs will have Early Bird if he reaches FA in 2025. I think they go the Hauser route though.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#429 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:29 pm

Horford can't retire yet even after we win the title in June. He still needs to mentor Tillman and Queta in the last year of his contract. Once he retires, I think he'll spend as much time as possible with his family and live a quiet, private life at least initially even if he's invited to be part of the coaching staff.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#430 » by 165bows » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:40 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Image

Read on Twitter

So basically:

Is that correct?

-- Yes, correct.
-- I believe so, yeah.
-- Dunno about the Gilbert Arenas thing, but yes, Cs will have Early Bird if he reaches FA in 2025. I think they go the Hauser route though.

Hmm interesting concept on that. Not sure how it really helps him other than a little more money now but I suppose a bird in the hand and all that.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#431 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,718

Post#432 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:44 pm

165bows wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
So basically:

Is that correct?

-- Yes, correct.
-- I believe so, yeah.

Hmm interesting concept on that. Not sure how it really helps him other than a little more money now but I suppose a bird in the hand and all that.

I just thought of another point.

If he went to a different team, they might want one of those deals where they guarantee 1 year, but lock him up for 3. Compared to that, he might be better off this way. In fact, there's a reasonable chance the Cs decline their team option to try to get him on one of those deals instead.

Except -- if the Cs decline their option, he probably wouldn't be an RFA.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#433 » by playa-hater » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:49 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Read on Twitter

Is so Brad is playing chess..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#434 » by 165bows » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:50 pm

165bows wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:-- Yes, correct.
-- I believe so, yeah.

If he went to a different team, they might want one of those deals where they guarantee 1 year, but lock him up for 3. Compared to that, he might be better off this way. In fact, there's a reasonable chance the Cs decline their team option to try to get him on one of those deals instead.

Other thing occurred to me is it may start his years of experience clock earlier, that may be helpful as well. Especially for a guy who may be in the vet min salary bin for his career, possible that makes more of a meaningful difference than whatever he makes this year on the switch.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#435 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:03 pm

165bows wrote:
165bows wrote:Hmm interesting concept on that. Not sure how it really helps him other than a little more money now but I suppose a bird in the hand and all that.

Other thing occurred to me is it may start his years of experience clock earlier, that may be helpful as well. Especially for a guy who may be in the vet min salary bin for his career, possible that makes more of a meaningful difference than whatever he makes this year on the switch.

Nah…he’s Embiid with grit in a couple years and gets Maxed. ;)
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#436 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:05 pm

I do think this means Kornet is gone unless he would accept a minimum slot. That’s too bad because I really like him and what he has done this season.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#437 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:14 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I don't think this was the best use of the 15th spot for this year's team. He's behind Porzingis/Horford/Kornet/Tillman. Unlikely he contributes at all.

It's unlikely that any guy we sign to the 15th spot would contribute in the playoffs.

Who did you want us to sign instead?

Brad's track record since taking over as POBO is if he's got some end of the bench spots to fill late in the season, he does it by scooping guys out of the G league, either off another team's G league squad (Champagnie, Stauskus, Fitts, Morgan), off the Maine g league team (Kornet) or by converting one of our 2-way contract guys (Hauser).

Realistically, it was either gonna be Queta, Peterson or Davison. And Queta has much more NBA experience than the other 2 guys, much more experience in meaningful NBA mins than the other 2 so much more likely to contribute in the playoffs than the other 2.

For whatever reason, Brad has not filled end of bench roster spots late in the season with veteran ring chasers (guessing that is perhaps what you wanted him to do?). That's either by design..or it's because vet ring chasers just don't want to come here (cold weather, less guaranteed playing time than other teams can offer, some buyout guys can't sign here because we're over 2nd apron, etc.) Perhaps it's a combination of both..since rumor has it, we did try to sign Delon Wright..but Wright chose to sign with Miami.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#438 » by cl2117 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:56 pm

Love it for Queta and for us.

He's got upside as a rotation level energy big off the bench and at his worst I think he's worthy of an NBA contract. Plus he has plenty of experience with us this season which sets him up as a "break glass in case of emergency" big man.

I don't think we get all our backup big men back next season, so locking in a cheap option with a bit of upside makes total sense.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,526

Post#439 » by snowman » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:47 pm

I think the only big we may not get back is Kornet. Brad didn't give up 2 2nd-round picks for a 1/3 of a season for Tillman. Brad will get Tilman resigned for next season and probably locked up on a Hauser like contract (Same thing for Queta) for Aa few seasons. Kornet may still get resigned too, as long as his agent doesn't get crazy and ask for something unreasonable. I do like our PF/Center rotation now of:

Tatum/ Horford/Tillman
Porzingis/Kornet/Queta

This also allows Brissett to move down to SF, to back up Brown and Hauser.
Now just resign Holliday to go along with White and Pritchard and all we really need to upgrade is SG. I'm not sure Walsh or Springer are ready for prime time and Svi is probably not resigned.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,211

Post#440 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:04 am

Congrats Queta. Well deserved. Another win for the Celtics player development program.

Return to Boston Celtics