ImageImageImage

Appreciation Thread, Lamar Stevens!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Re: Welcome to Boston, Lamar Stevens! 

Post#121 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:06 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I need that Lamar Stevens has signed a 1 year deal with the Boston Celtics tweet to happen..

Why? He's already essentially signed for the year if Cs don't waive him before opening night.

If a team wants to keep a player on an Exhibit 9 deal, the simplest process is to keep them on the roster for opening night. At that point, the player’s contract converts from an Exhibit 9 contract to a standard non-guaranteed contract. It begins to count against the salary cap and the luxury tax, just like any other standard contract. If the team wants to guarantee the deal, they can do so at any time. Otherwise, the contract will become fully guaranteed on the league-wide guarantee date of January 10.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/news/explaining-exhibit-9-and-exhibit-10-contracts-2032

Ok, but I would think there would be a formal announcement if we were gonna do that with him..

Hmm.. looks like we gotta make a decision on Lamar by tomorrow:
Read on Twitter

I believe Justin Jackson and Noah Vonleh were both on Exhibit 9 deals last season during training camp. Then after training camp there was a formal announcement made that they were being signed to 1 year, non-guaranteed contracts. Let's see if that happens with Lamar..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,784

Post#122 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:29 am

Hal14 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I need that Lamar Stevens has signed a 1 year deal with the Boston Celtics tweet to happen..

Why? He's already essentially signed for the year if Cs don't waive him before opening night.

If a team wants to keep a player on an Exhibit 9 deal, the simplest process is to keep them on the roster for opening night. At that point, the player’s contract converts from an Exhibit 9 contract to a standard non-guaranteed contract. It begins to count against the salary cap and the luxury tax, just like any other standard contract. If the team wants to guarantee the deal, they can do so at any time. Otherwise, the contract will become fully guaranteed on the league-wide guarantee date of January 10.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/news/explaining-exhibit-9-and-exhibit-10-contracts-2032

Ok, but I would think there would be a formal announcement if we were gonna do that with him..

Read on Twitter

Celtics technically don't have to do anything if they're not waiving him. Keith Smith himself wrote the words I quoted above from the article. There's no "signing" to be done as you were hoping for from your original post.

EDIT: What you can hope for is a "Lamar Stevens is making the regular season roster, per sources." from beat writers in the know but he's not being signed to a new contract 'cause there isn't a need for that.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,539

Post#123 » by Fierce1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:31 am

Keep Lamar.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#124 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:44 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Why? He's already essentially signed for the year if Cs don't waive him before opening night.

Read on Twitter

Celtics technically don't have to do anything if they're not waiving him. Keith Smith himself wrote the words I quoted above from the article. There's no "signing" to be done as you were hoping for from your original post.

EDIT: What you can hope for is a "Lamar Stevens is making the regular season roster, per sources." from beat writers in the know but he's not being signed to a new contract 'cause there isn't a need for that.

Exactly. I'm just hoping to see a tweet about Lamar like this one that was made about Vonleh last year:
Read on Twitter

And this article that announced he was staying with the team after being on an exhibit 9 contract:
https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/noah-vonleh-final-regular-season-roster/

It would seem that we'll soon hear that Lamar has either been waived or he has made the team. But something should be announced soon..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,349

Post#125 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:00 am

Didn’t we bring more than 15 guys to camp last year? Maybe I’m misremembering, but I thought we had an actual roster competition. We only brought 15 NBA guys and 3 two-ways this year. Only “competition” was if we kept the last spot open, so Gabriel got the axe. We’d have to sign someone else before anyone gets cut. Not sure Stevens making the team will be announcement worthy like Vonleh was last year.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#126 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:28 am

hugepatsfan wrote:Didn’t we bring more than 15 guys to camp last year? Maybe I’m misremembering, but I thought we had an actual roster competition. We only brought 15 NBA guys and 3 two-ways this year. Only “competition” was if we kept the last spot open, so Gabriel got the axe. We’d have to sign someone else before anyone gets cut. Not sure Stevens making the team will be announcement worthy like Vonleh was last year.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Perhaps last year it was more of a competition and it was more in doubt whether Vonleh (and Justin Jackson) would make the team. And right now, it does seem like a near certainty (or a formality) that Lamar has made the team.

But Keith Smith's tweet the other day mentioned that there's still 58 guys who were on exhibit 9 or exhibit 10 deals who need to be waived by 5pm today. And that some of those players will make the team, rather than being waived. And if not waived, there is additional fees the team will be charged. So I'm assuming that throughout the day today we will see announcements about most of those players.

Keith Smith, Woj or whatever reporter probably isn't gonna bother checking to see how much competition each player was in for a roster spot. They're probably just gonna tweet these out and report them.

And Lamar Stevens is probably as high profile (and as good) as just about any player who is still left on an exhibit 9 or exhibit 10 deal..and the Celtics are the title favorites so I would think Lamar will get some type of announcement, just so that reporter can get the clicks/likes/views. But we'll see..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#127 » by Hal14 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Okogie started for the suns last night. He also started quite a bit for them last season, including in the playoffs.

Lamar is a fairly similar player..started 25 gamed for the Cavs last season. He would do just fine for us as a 9th man. Especially on a team where literally all of the top 8 guys are shooters.

Plus, with Pritchard and Hauser out there in the 2nd unit, Lamar being a really good defender helps to balance that lineup out so we have enough defense on the floor.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#128 » by Hal14 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Really good article about Lamar. One of the best articles I've read in awhile.

Boston’s star-studded group has athletes up and down the roster, but Stevens had his eye on the biggest fish of all — Jayson Tatum — and with his hope to get the best of the Celtics superstar comes a healthy dose of mockery.

“I want to block JT’s dunk,” Stevens said. “We saw how the kid on the Sixers blocked his dunk. I made fun of him for that.”

Philadelphia 76ers guard Jaden Springer denied Tatum at the rim in the Celtics’ first preseason game. Stevens hasn’t let Tatum forget about it.

For the first time in their careers, Tatum and Jaylen Brown will be playing without Marcus Smart. Without his voice in their ears, Stevens has the chance to be a new guiding force.

“He’s not afraid to stand up. He ain’t afraid of anybody,” said former Penn State assistant and current Fordham head coach Keith Urgo. “And that’s why the stars love him. Everybody who’s met him, all the stars from Donovan Mitchell to whoever, fell in love with him. And I think that’ll be the same thing with Jaylen Brown and Jayson. They’ll fall in love with him, too, because he’ll do whatever is necessary for them to be successful.”

Stevens spent the first four years of his career with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Mitchell joined the squad last offseason. And while one was a bench player and the other an All-NBA guard, their relationship ran deeper than their roles.

During a December win over the Atlanta Hawks, Mitchell was getting killed on the defensive end. Mitchell got scored on repeatedly to the point where a timeout had to be called. Once the Cavaliers got back to the huddle, Stevens put him on blast.

“He came to the huddle and said I was getting my ass busted when they scored on me twice,” Mitchell said after the game. “I don’t think anybody scored on me after that.”

Stevens’ willingness to speak up no matter who’s in front of him makes him a perfect fit on Boston’s bench. Between Tatum, Brown, Kristaps Porzingis, and Jrue Holiday — the Celtics aren’t short on stars. And with Stevens in tow, they aren’t short on leaders, either.

“It just starts with the relationship that you build with the guys,” Stevens said. “And I think they all know that I care about them, and I love them, and I want to see them do good. And I really care about the success of the team. So sometimes, [it’s] just being willing to put myself out there for the greater good of the team.

“They might not like it in the moment, but they know my intentions are in the right place, and I’m just trying to push them and us to be great and to achieve higher things that we might not have thought of.”

What a great addition to the team!
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,546

Post#129 » by shackles10 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:14 pm

Sounds like he could have some coaching future if he wants to from that article. Has the respect/motivation thing already, just needs to have a passion for it. Being a fringe player/journeyman he could follow the Ime path minus keeping it in his pants, although he did go to Penn State (too soon?). Let's go more the Adrian Griffin route then...
Hal14
RealGM

Post#130 » by Hal14 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:39 pm

shackles10 wrote:Sounds like he could have some coaching future if he wants to from that article. Has the respect/motivation thing already, just needs to have a passion for it. Being a fringe player/journeyman he could follow the Ime path minus keeping it in his pants, although he did go to Penn State (too soon?). Let's go more the Adrian Griffin route then...

Yup. Definitely seems like a guy who could end up coaching after he retires.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,748

Post#131 » by Tatumfor2 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:11 pm

I've noticed everyone wanting more LS and I agree, but it seems like when he does play he's lost on offense. Players are having to point him to where he needs to go repeatedly. I wonder if that's holding him back for now. He didn't have a full off season for it all to sink in. I'm not sold on OB and hope Lamar sees some more playing time soon!
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,784

Post#132 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jan 5, 2024 2:00 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,509

Re: Appreciation Thread, Lamar Stevens! 

Post#133 » by Parliament10 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter

We barely knew you.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,660

Post#134 » by Homerclease » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:59 pm

Sucks for Lamar, never really worked out here. At least he’s gonna get a chance to showcase some in Memphis to maybe earn another contract somewhere in the league
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#135 » by 165bows » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:02 pm

Best of luck bro.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,448

Post#136 » by BK_2020 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:04 pm

Hope you get another contract.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,672

Post#137 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:15 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Hope you get another contract.

Seriously, it's the best thing for his career. Stevens will play in Memphis.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,195

Post#138 » by 31to6 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:18 pm

was hyped about him, and then it became clear he hadn't earned any minutes, and never did, except for the one game he started at center. And I won't say "I'll always remember that game", but rather "I do, presently, remember that game."

Keep rocking in the free world, Lamar. Show them what you can do in Memphis!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#139 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:18 pm

I thought he'd be a good tenth man, maybe even slightly more. Hopefully he gets some burn in Memphis.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,198

Post#140 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:22 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Hope you get another contract.

My hope is that he gets a ring in June, even though he played just a few minutes.

Return to Boston Celtics