ImageImageImage

Appreciation Thread, Lamar Stevens!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Re: Welcome to Boston, Lamar Stevens! 

Post#61 » by Hal14 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Arguably an all-NBA level defender - entering his prime right now.

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,704

Post#62 » by steefP2 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:35 pm

One of the most destructive offensive players in the league last season, but thrived relatively when playing the 4 on offense. Now obviously context matters and adding a 3rd complete non shooter to a lineup with Mobley and Allen already in is asking for problems. The 3 non shooters on the court is magnitudes worse than 2, it compounds, the effect is not just additive.

So on offense, he has a chance to be ok enough when playing a cutting, dunker spot role with either Al or Zinger at center. I don't think its a good idea whatsoever to play him with rob for any minutes but he should be able to function in a 4 out system with him as a dive/cut/role man.

Defensively I think he fills a crucial role. Where Brisset is more of a nail and weakside help defender, Stevens does his best work on ball. Think Semi but with an actual motor and instinct for defensive playmaking. In some matchups we'll miss Grant but I'd argue having Stevens might be a net benefit for the defense over Grant. We've often struggled to give the Jays a break on defense. Sure Marcus guarded his share of wings but most of the wing depth pieces of the last year or 2 have been just bad or of the offensive variety.

Stevens can't play small ball 5 but he'll be a better on ball option vs opposing wings, where we kinda only had starters to throw at previously. He probably won't play much but the minutes he does play will help Jayson and Jaylen preserve their body more than the average 12-13th man i'd expect.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,999

Post#63 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:38 pm

Well, those were some good defensive plays, so I'm on board with Stevens.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
MeanGeraldGreen
Junior
And1: 1,173

Post#64 » by MeanGeraldGreen » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:39 pm

steefP2 wrote:One of the most destructive offensive players in the league last season, but thrived relatively when playing the 4 on offense. Now obviously context matters and adding a 3rd complete non shooter to a lineup with Mobley and Allen already in is asking for problems. The 3 non shooters on the court is magnitudes worse than 2, it compounds, the effect is not just additive.

So on offense, he has a chance to be ok enough when playing a cutting, dunker spot role with either Al or Zinger at center. I don't think its a good idea whatsoever to play him with rob for any minutes but he should be able to function in a 4 out system with him as a dive/cut/role man.

Defensively I think he fills a crucial role. Where Brisset is more of a nail and weakside help defender, Stevens does his best work on ball. Think Semi but with an actual motor and instinct for defensive playmaking. In some matchups we'll miss Grant but I'd argue having Stevens might be a net benefit for the defense over Grant. We've often struggled to give the Jays a break on defense. Sure Marcus guarded his share of wings but most of the wing depth pieces of the last year or 2 have been just bad or of the offensive variety.

Stevens can't play small ball 5 but he'll be a better on ball option vs opposing wings, where we kinda only had starters to throw at previously. He probably won't play much but the minutes he does play will help Jayson and Jaylen preserve their body more than the average 12-13th man i'd expect.

steefP2
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by steefP2 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:48 pm

MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
steefP2 wrote:One of the most destructive offensive players in the league last season, but thrived relatively when playing the 4 on offense. Now obviously context matters and adding a 3rd complete non shooter to a lineup with Mobley and Allen already in is asking for problems. The 3 non shooters on the court is magnitudes worse than 2, it compounds, the effect is not just additive.

Oth he might plain too bad offensively to ever see the floor
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#66 » by 165bows » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:30 pm

steefP2 wrote:
MeanGeraldGreen wrote:

Oth he might plain too bad offensively to ever see the floor

Idk if he can cut and dunk from the forward spot I’m sold.

Team had about four guys last year who could dunk the ball on a cut, must have led the league last year in highest number of dudes that just could not threaten the rim.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#67 » by Hal14 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:49 pm

31to6 wrote:I will HOPE Joe plays 8 guys in the playoffs.

Backup big is whomever of the Rob/Al/Porzingis trio doesn’t start.

Backup guard is Malcolm.

Lamar joins the stable of prospects jockeying to be the backup “3” in the playoff rotation. Going into it, I give him and Hauser about equal odds. Brissett I envision playing more 4, in a role that evaporates in the playoffs if the top 7 guys are healthy.

Agreed.

I could even see a scenario where we go with a 9 man playoff rotation, with both Hauser and Stevens in it. If Mazzulla wants to go with the guy who is a defensive stopper, someone he can put in there to defend a guy like Giannis, Butler, Brunson, KD, Derozan, Harden - who can come in for a few mins here and there, slow down the other team's best scorer, really make them work on every possession, be a dog...a guy who can bring energy, toughness, hustle, and occasionally finish a bucket near the rim or hit a 3, he can put in Stevens.

If he needs shooting (like in the Miami series last year where everyone on the team went ice cold from 3) he can put in Hauser..especially if Hauser continues to come along defensively. (Side note, yes I think we could have possibly won that Miami series last year if we played Hauser more minutes)

So possibly, they could both be in the playoff rotation, since there will likely be times throughout the course of a game/series where you need the shooter and other times where you need the defensive stopper. It's good to have options.

Or perhaps just 1 of them emerges and we go with an 8 man rotation.

But Miami played 9 guys in the ECF when they just beat us - with the 9th guy (Highsmith) being a guy who didn't play every game but definitely made a difference. The warriors in 2022 had their 8 man rotation but often times played either Bjelica, Iguodala or Kuminga (or sometimes even Moody) as the 9th man. So it's certainly not uncommon for teams to go 9 deep in the playoffs.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,545

Post#68 » by shackles10 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:45 pm

Backup guard is Malcolm.

Lamar joins the stable of prospects jockeying to be the backup “3” in the playoff rotation. Going into it, I give him and Hauser about equal odds. Brissett I envision playing more 4, in a role that evaporates in the playoffs if the top 7 guys are healthy.

Backup big and backup guard is set for sure. We have a lot of good options for backup wing and I think those 2 are the favorites, but honestly any of Brad's illegitimate son Lamar, Hauser, Brissett, Svi, and maybe even throw Walsh in there could step in by April and I wouldn't be too terribly surprised. My only worry is Joe either A) doesn't give enough competitive chances for those guys to proof themselves as playoff ready and we're left crying at the end of the year because our savior rotted on the bench or B) he plays all of those guys all the time with no rhyme or reason and the rotation isn't really set by April. Help me Mazzula, Joe. You're my only hope.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,195

Post#69 » by 31to6 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:53 pm

shackles10 wrote:

Backup guard is Malcolm.

Backup big and backup guard is set for sure. We have a lot of good options for backup wing and I think those 2 are the favorites, but honestly any of Brad's illegitimate son Lamar, Hauser, Brissett, Svi, and maybe even throw Walsh in there could step in by April and I wouldn't be too terribly surprised. My only worry is Joe either A) doesn't give enough competitive chances for those guys to proof themselves as playoff ready and we're left crying at the end of the year because our savior rotted on the bench or B) he plays all of those guys all the time with no rhyme or reason and the rotation isn't really set by April. Help me Mazzula, Joe. You're my only hope.

this is possibly one place where the additions to Joe's coaching staff will hopefully pay off.
Sam and Charles, you are also two of shackles' only hopes.
Not you, Phil Pressey, you sit in the background and take notes.

Also FWIW Brad and Joe say they talk a ton and hopefully Brad's going to be like "so we need to play more than 7 guys in the playoffs, please decide which of these toys I got you you like the best"
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,459

Post#70 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:04 pm

31to6 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:

Backup guard is Malcolm.

this is possibly one place where the additions to Joe's coaching staff will hopefully pay off.

Also FWIW Brad and Joe say they talk a ton and hopefully Brad's going to be like "so we need to play more than 7 guys in the playoffs, please decide which of these toys I got you you like the best"

Can’t listen to half of what Brad says because the other part of what he says is he doesn’t tell Joe what to do, he let’s him coach how he wants to, he no longer does any coaching.

Ok not this exact words, but i have seen a few people suggest Brad needs to say something when he has already said he doesn’t do that multiple times. Joe is going to fail or succeed with what he thinks is best not Brad.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,545

Post#71 » by shackles10 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:05 pm

31to6 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:

Backup guard is Malcolm.

Please let this not be Sam and Charles...

31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,195

Post#72 » by 31to6 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:53 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
31to6 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:

Can’t listen to half of what Brad says because the other part of what he says is he doesn’t tell Joe what to do, he let’s him coach how he wants to, he no longer does any coaching.

Ok not this exact words, but i have seen a few people suggest Brad needs to say something when he has already said he doesn’t do that multiple times. Joe is going to fail or succeed with what he thinks is best not Brad.

Fine catch Shak. Guilty as charged!
Okay, Sam and Charles it is then, even if they are just the Greek chorus.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,459

Post#73 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:14 pm

31to6 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Fine catch Shak. Guilty as charged!
Okay, Sam and Charles it is then, even if they are just the Greek chorus.

No, I’m not saying i don’t want Brad to give him the good parts he did as a coach and sometimes say, “this works better” but i don’t think you can do that when you aren’t coaching, no one will want to coach under you.

Brad wasn't the guy to get us over the top, but i think he definitely has ideas that could help (need to be implemented), but he’s not in an assistant coach position, i don’t want him to dictate in those ways because it could cause problems. Give advice when asked but not telling Joe you have to do this or that.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#74 » by captain green » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:18 pm

Pretty solid maybe kick kornet off the team for a better big though
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,507

Post#75 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:23 am

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
steefP2
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by steefP2 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:05 am

Genuinely maybe the most important aspect of Lamar is he one of the only guys I’d feel “good” about throwing on giannis for 6-10 minutes to spare Horford a bit.

I was pretty far on the grant is overrated train but he was really helpful there. On the roster between rob, zinger, Tatum, brisset, Jaylen etc I think they all get trucked heavy by giannis. So losing smart and grant hurts there. Stevens probably slots in right after Horford as the best matchup, maybe Jaylen third. Anyway that’s worth a roster spot on its own imo
MeanGeraldGreen
Junior

Post#77 » by MeanGeraldGreen » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:23 pm

Read on Twitter
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,716

Post#78 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:32 pm

MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
Read on Twitter

How the **** did Lamar not have an offer better than this. He’s definitely at least a minimum guy in the league
MeanGeraldGreen
Junior

Post#79 » by MeanGeraldGreen » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:36 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
Read on Twitter

How the **** did Lamar not have an offer better than this. He’s definitely at least a minimum guy in the league

He chose it over a partially guaranteed contract from a couple of other teams.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,716

Post#80 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:54 pm

MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
Read on Twitter

He chose it over a partially guaranteed contract from a couple of other teams.

He really wants Noah Vonleh job security on our team va a partial guarantee in Detroit. Respect

Return to Boston Celtics