ImageImageImage

Appreciation Thread, Lamar Stevens!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,510

Re: Welcome to Boston, Lamar Stevens! 

Post#81 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:00 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:How the **** did Lamar not have an offer better than this. He’s definitely at least a minimum guy in the league

He chose it over a partially guaranteed contract from a couple of other teams.

He really wants Noah Vonleh job security on our team va a partial guarantee in Detroit. Respect

Lamar Stevens still gets his $400K from the Spurs this year.
I guess that he felt that he could take the risk.

I can't see him not getting on the Celtics Guaranteed?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,546

Post#82 » by shackles10 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:28 pm

So who's our non-guaranteed guys? Lamar, Luke, Banton? We're at 15 if we keep all of them so is Lamar really lower in the pecking order than the other 2, and if he doesn't end up being guaranteed I don't know who we would sign and instead would just keep the spot open. Seems like semantics most likely but keeps flexibility in the short term in case a trade shakes free... maybe Brogdon related if we're to believe rumors?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,510

Post#83 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:35 pm

shackles10 wrote:So who's our non-guaranteed guys? Lamar, Luke, Banton? We're at 15 if we keep all of them so is Lamar really lower in the pecking order than the other 2, and if he doesn't end up being guaranteed I don't know who we would sign and instead would just keep the spot open. Seems like semantics most likely but keeps flexibility in the short term in case a trade shakes free... maybe Brogdon related if we're to believe rumors?

Lamar's Contract -- being an Exhibit 9 -- isn't actually counted in the Regular 15. So, we're still at 14.
But Svi's is also a Partial.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/08/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-9-contract.html#:~:text=An%20Exhibit%209%20clause%20protects,significant%20injury%20in%20training%20camp.
An Exhibit 9 contract, which is non-guaranteed and doesn’t count against the salary cap until the start of the regular season, can only be a one-year, minimum-salary deal. A team can carry up to six players on Exhibit 9 deals, but can’t sign a player to such a contract unless it has at least 14 players already under contract (not including two-way deals).
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#84 » by captain green » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:42 pm

So any concerns with the weird partial guarantee deals by my count we have four. Lamar, danton, svi and kornet. Very weird situation imo
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,435

Post#85 » by Theocy » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:53 pm

Svi is getting cut eventually. He still has a place in pana in greece :lol:
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,546

Post#86 » by shackles10 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:04 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:So who's our non-guaranteed guys? Lamar, Luke, Banton? We're at 15 if we keep all of them so is Lamar really lower in the pecking order than the other 2, and if he doesn't end up being guaranteed I don't know who we would sign and instead would just keep the spot open. Seems like semantics most likely but keeps flexibility in the short term in case a trade shakes free... maybe Brogdon related if we're to believe rumors?

Lamar's Contract -- being an Exhibit 9 -- isn't actually counted in the Regular 15. So, we're still at 14.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/08/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-9-contract.html#:~:text=An%20Exhibit%209%20clause%20protects,significant%20injury%20in%20training%20camp.
An Exhibit 9 contract, which is non-guaranteed and doesn’t count against the salary cap until the start of the regular season, can only be a one-year, minimum-salary deal. A team can carry up to six players on Exhibit 9 deals, but can’t sign a player to such a contract unless it has at least 14 players already under contract (not including two-way deals).

Forgot about Svi. Obviously several of these guys are staying with the team, and I wouldn't be surprised if all of them do for the year. I would probably put Lamar at the front of that list of 4 just barely ahead of Svi. Kornet for continuity and size as a big man probably 3rd in pecking order and Banton bringing up the rear. Although I do like Banton as a young development piece to take a flyer on with his size at that position and defensive potential to rotate.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#87 » by Hal14 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:36 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

The 15 number doesn't really mean anything until we get to the end of training camp.

Throughout the offseason and all the way till the end of training camp, teams can carry up to 21 players. The types of contract really don't matter all that much. We could have all 21 guys on fully guaranteed contracts - we would just have to waive 6 of them before opening night.

So being at 14 or 15 right now really doesn't matter. As long as you're under 22 players throughout offseason and training camp..and under 16 players throughout regular season..that's really all that matters.

Here's the updated training camp roster, with 20 players so we could add 1 more guy before camp opens on October 2:

As you can see, there's only 11 guys whose contracts are guaranteed for this season. So essentially, everyone else is competing for those last 4 roster spots.

Now, keep in mind:

-Any of the 2-way guys could get converted to a standard roster spot. It rarely happens this early (before opening night). Typically, if a 2-way guy gets converted to a standard roster spot, it's not till mid-season. But I believe it *can* happen before opening night. In which case, one of the exhibit 10 (or exhibit 9) guys could snag that open 2-way spot. Or we could fill the open 2-way spot with some other guy out there who's not even on our training camp roster.

-Reports have said that Funk and Steward are both competing for a 2-way spot. So while the 2-way guys (Queta, JD, Scrubb) could theoretically have a shot to have their contract converted to a standard contract, there's also a chance that any of those guys (or even all 3 of them) could get waived altogether. Or we waive them and option them to Maine Celtics.

-Lamar is 2-way eligible. So there is a chance (probably a very small chance) that he ends up on a 2-way (if we waive 1 of our 2-way guys or convert them to standard contract). With that being said, it's very rare for a guy with the amount of NBA experience that Lamar has (in terms of years in the league, number of games played, number of mins played..including playing meaningful mins in the playoffs) to get a 2-way contract.

-Even guys on a standard contract can be waived. But it's very rate. More likely, the player would get bought out instead. But it's at least somewhat possible that someone like Pritchard or Brissett could be waived or bought out at some point between now and opening night - that is highly unlikely to happen though.

-There's 1 more open roster spot on the training camp roster. Technically, that last spot could go to a guy on a fully guaranteed contract, a partially guaranteed contract, a 2-way (we would need to convert or waive 1 of our 2-way guys to do this, though), an exhibit 10 or an exhibit 9. Most likely, the spot will go to an exhibit 10 or exhibit 9 guy..

-Having this many open roster spots heading into training camp, this many guys on partially guaranteed deals, this many guys fighting for a roster spot is going to make for a really competitive training camp. You've got guys fighting for a roster spot, you've got stars like Tatum and Brown looking to set the tone in training camp with their work ethic and intensity. All of our top 7 guys will be extra geared up and focused because they know this team has a chance to be a champion, you've got a guy like Pritchard who always has a chip on his shoulder, you've got Hauser who probably has a chip on his shoulder too since he probably feels like he should've got more mins in the playoffs and also wants to prove that all these wings we signed (Svi, Lamar, Brissett, Walsh) shouldn't pass him on the depth chart. Man, what I would give to be a fly on the wall for these training camp battles :)

-I expect the last 4 roster spots to go to Svi, Banton, Kornet and Lamar. And the guys on a 2-way now will stay there..although as I've mentioned before, it would not surprise me if Steward ends up snagging that last 2-way spot and we waive JD..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,716

Post#88 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM

Post#89 » by Hal14 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#90 » by 165bows » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:15 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

First three offensive rebounds - goes right around Grant and Brogdon for 1, then straight beats Grant for a 50/50 rebound for 2, then goes right by motionless JB and Brogdon for 3.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#91 » by Hal14 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:30 pm

165bows wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

First three offensive rebounds - goes right around Grant and Brogdon for 1, then straight beats Grant for a 50/50 rebound for 2, then goes right by motionless JB and Brogdon for 3.

Yup. Out-hustled Kornet on one of the plays too.

He's got to make the team. I'll be pissed if he doesn't make the roster haha.

Him and Walsh are gonna be flying around like a couple of wild animals in training camp it's gonna be awesome.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#92 » by 165bows » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:34 pm

Hal14 wrote:
165bows wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yup. Out-hustled Kornet on one of the plays too.

He's got to make the team. I'll be pissed if he doesn't make the roster haha.

Him and Walsh are gonna be flying around like a couple of wild animals in training camp it's gonna be awesome.

Pretty sure that was Muscala. One of the last ones he also blows by a motionless JB again, Brogdon may have been bystanding there as well. I didn't catch that game, awful control of the boards there.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,714

Post#93 » by return2glory » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:24 am

I'm rooting for Stevens and Brissett to be rotation guys for our team.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,448

Post#94 » by BK_2020 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:33 pm

165bows wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

And at the 32 sec mark, Jaylen Brown hustles back to the field of play with 11 seconds left on the clock.
Stevens may not be all that if he doesn't get to play the Celtics anymore.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#95 » by Hal14 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM

Post#96 » by Hal14 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:15 pm

return2glory wrote:I'm rooting for Stevens and Brissett to be rotation guys for our team.

Yeah they both seem to bring some hunger, desire, grit, strength, physicality and toughness to the table.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#97 » by El Hespiritu » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:34 pm

Mmmh...

You got La Mar.

That might very well be the source of unforeseen consequences.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#98 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 3, 2023 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Bummer our shooting coach bolted to Houston to join Ime.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Hal14
RealGM

Post#99 » by Hal14 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:42 pm

I like how on his own he basically said that he sees him and Jrue replacing the grit that we previously got from Grant and Marcus.

As for our shooting coach being in Houston now, I'm optimistic that between the 4 coaches we still have who coached alongside Ben Sullivan (Mazzulla, Macleay, Reynolds, Dobbins), they hopefully observed the stuff that Sullivan was training our guys on when he was working with guys on their shooting. So hopefully at least 1 (or more) of those 4 returning coaches can be the one who can pass on those teachings and be the new shooting coach.

Also, I think Lamar might have an external personal shooting coach, or at least a trainer who has helped his shooting this summer, based on these tweets. These were posted this summer by 2 different Player Development Coaches:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Between the 3 vids, he makes 35/37 from 3. There's no one defending but that is still impressive.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,169

Post#100 » by chakdaddy » Tue Oct 3, 2023 11:49 pm

Jersey #77.

Return to Boston Celtics