ImageImageImage

Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,508

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Aquired for Rob W, Brogdon, Picks) 

Post#41 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:32 pm

Well. well, well . . .
Smart play Stevens.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,195

Re: Jrue Holiday to the Celtics 

Post#42 » by 31to6 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:32 pm

The Corey's wrote:
The Corey's wrote:You're a **** genius Stevenson.

We're all in now baby.

Nevermind. I didn't see that Williams was part of the deal.

Imagine giving up more for Jrue Holliday than the bucks gave up for Dame.

That's actually quite impressive.

Brogdon’s value may be neutral at best. Also the Celtics GM’s name is not Stevenson ;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
MeanGeraldGreen
Junior
And1: 1,173

Post#43 » by MeanGeraldGreen » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:32 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Froob wrote:Don’t like it, gave up too much.

Gave up way too much for a guy who's 37 and making 40 mils a year(or 36 years old, either way)... POR got more for Holiday than Lilard and Lilard is considered a top 15 player.... I honestly don't understand this. I'd rather have Smart back. Everybody here knows I'm not a huge Smart fan, but that's too much for an over the hill Holiday... Heck, why didn't we get Beal instead? Beal was traded for scraps and makes similar money(he's much younger, too, both have had a few injuries in their careers).

You should actually check people’s ages before making your whole opinion based only of it.

Jrue will be 33 for ALMOST all of next season.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 9,088

Post#44 » by meatball sub » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:33 pm

So I guess Pritchard has earned himself some minutes now?
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,908

Post#45 » by The Corey's » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:33 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Jellybeans wrote:This can backfire big time

Will someone donate knees to RW3?

Not sure how any Celtics fan can look at this as anything other than a massive win. Jrue is an absolute dawg.

He's old as dirt to be out here unloading the last assets you gave left.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#46 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:34 pm

MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Froob wrote:Don’t like it, gave up too much.

Gave up way too much for a guy who's 37 and making 40 mils a year(or 36 years old, either way)... POR got more for Holiday than Lilard and Lilard is considered a top 15 player.... I honestly don't understand this. I'd rather have Smart back. Everybody here knows I'm not a huge Smart fan, but that's too much for an over the hill Holiday... Heck, why didn't we get Beal instead? Beal was traded for scraps and makes similar money(he's much younger, too, both have had a few injuries in their careers).

You should actually check people’s ages before making your whole opinion based only of it.

My point was that he's somewhat injury prone, over the hill(my opinion) and we literally gave up more for him tha Lilard... Why not get Beal or Lilard himself? What the **** did we just do.. Heck, why did we trade Smart in the first place?
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#47 » by The Corey's » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:34 pm

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
The Corey's wrote:You're a **** genius Stevenson.

We're all in now baby.

Brogdon’s value may be neutral at best. Also the Celtics GM’s name is not Stevenson ;)

Y'all acting like he wasn't 6 man of the year and one of top 4 best players.

Jrue isnt going to be that for us.
31to6
RealGM

Post#48 » by 31to6 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:35 pm

meatball sub wrote:So I guess Pritchard has earned himself some minutes now?

If White plays a lot of SG — maybe. But I’d bet he has to beat out Svi and Banton for whatever minutes he gets.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#49 » by ParticleMan » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:35 pm

our starting 5 is as good as there is. question is going to be health and bench. say what you will about brogs but he held our bench together.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#50 » by Hal14 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:36 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:I'm a little concerned about the Celtics bigs even though Williams is just a part-time player

Well, this move opens up a roster spot.

Hopefully we sign Biyombo.

Might be Blake. Seems like the offer to return is there if he doesn't call it quits.

I wouldn't hate it if we sign Blake. But imo, Biyombo has more gas left in the tank.

They both played 14 MPG last season, but Griffin played just 41 games while Biyombo played 61 games. And Biyombo is like 3 years younger.

Biyombo with much higher rebounding and blocks percentages last season, too. And Biyombo with a 7'6" wingspan, like Rob..he's Rob-lite.

Blake's main advantage is that he turns the ball over less. Biyombo has kind of a higher turnover % for a big. And also, Blake has more familiarity with our system, more chemistry built with our guys. The Jays are obviously bummed about losing a few of their buddies this offseason - they like Blake, everyone on the team likes Blake. So it might be a good move to bring him back for vibes and team morale.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
31to6
RealGM

Post#51 » by 31to6 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:36 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

My point was that he's somewhat injury prone, over the hill(my opinion) and we literally gave up more for him tha Lilard... Why not get Beal or Lilard himself? What the **** did we just do.. Heck, why did we trade Smart in the first place?

Have you watched Bradley Beal lately? Talk about injury prone.. also FWIW Jrue was 1st team all defense and an All Star last year, and won a title three years ago — these are some credentials Marcus cannot claim.
MeanGeraldGreen
Junior
And1: 1,173

Post#52 » by MeanGeraldGreen » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:37 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
MeanGeraldGreen wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

He’s played like 80% of the games the last seven seasons lol, whose coming off arguably his best season.

Maybe you’re mixing Jrue up with someone else. Celtics SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded their talent level this offseason.
31to6
RealGM

Post#53 » by 31to6 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:38 pm

The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

I like Brogdon a lot. But apparently not many GMs do at his $$.

I’d bet Jrue starts next to Derrick, so yeah, not expecting him to compete for 6MOY. But you don’t think Jrue Holiday will be a top four Celtic player this year?
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,649

Post#54 » by Infinite Llamas » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:38 pm

I question our height but Holiday is a big, big, big improvement over Smart.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#55 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:39 pm

31to6 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
MeanGeraldGreen wrote:

Have you watched Bradley Beal lately? Talk about injury prone.. also FWIW Jrue was 1st team all defense and an All Star last year, and won a title three years ago — these are some credentials Marcus cannot claim.

Well, I hope I'm wrong, but to me, the picks are way too much for a guy like Holiday.. Do you think he's better than Lilard? I remember Holiday bullying Lilard in the playoffs but it was 4-5 years ago... I think Lilard is the better player now and the Bucks somehow got Lilard for less. I know Beal was injured last season- it was the reason why Porzingis was the main man. Still beal cost like 3-4 2nd roudners...
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,381

Post#56 » by tlee324 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:39 pm

It's a pretty nice roster, imo.... not sure we're beating Milwaukee, not sure we'll be healthy, but it's a good lineup. Rob was one of my favorites but we'll see how this goes.
NotAKnicksFan
Senior
And1: 544

Post#57 » by NotAKnicksFan » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:39 pm

There will be free agent bigs

Nerlens noel is available

Bigs from detroit etc
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Post#58 » by playa-hater » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:40 pm

31to6 wrote:Overpaid but I will be onboard with them doing it.

This is exactly how I feel..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#59 » by The Corey's » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:40 pm

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:

I like Brogdon a lot. But apparently not many GMs do at his $$.

I’d bet Jrue starts next to Derrick, so yeah, not expecting him to compete for 6MOY. But you don’t think Jrue Holiday will be a top four Celtic player this year?

You're focused on the wrong part.

You can't give them Rob AND two picks.

It's one of the other.
NotAKnicksFan
Senior
And1: 544

Post#60 » by NotAKnicksFan » Sun Oct 1, 2023 4:41 pm

White
Jrue
Brown
Tatum
Porzingis

Why worry abiut bigs

Its not a big man league besides embiid and jokic

Return to Boston Celtics