ImageImageImage

Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,080

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Acquired for Rob W, Brogdon, Picks) 

Post#601 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:42 pm

Woj about to report Horford’s extension next: 200M for 8 more years?
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,411

Post#602 » by KillahGhostface » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:42 pm

Read on Twitter
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,411

Post#603 » by KillahGhostface » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:42 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Woj about to report Horford’s extension next: 200M for 8 more years?

As long as it’s per season.
Memokerobi
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,341

Post#604 » by Memokerobi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:43 pm

KamikazeK wrote:
Gant wrote:
Read on Twitter

We still need to lock up White. Give him a deal to match Jrue's and ride with our current starting 5. I totally believe they can get it done at some point in the next 3-4 years no matter what happens this year.

Think he’ll get more than Jrue
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#605 » by Gant » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:48 pm

Gant wrote:
Read on Twitter

An important thing about this quote is that the Celtics don't just make these trades without knowing whether or not they control the long term ramifications. When they acquire a player they know what it will take to keep them.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,150

Post#606 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:13 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
fallguy wrote:Pretty happy with it. They will already have a plan to retain White (which may or may not involve ditching Jaylen) which was my only concern with a Jrue extension.

Curry for Jaylen and picks.

He’ll retire a warriors but I wouldn’t scoff at this one.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,439

Post#607 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:15 am

KillahGhostface wrote:
Read on Twitter

But also, if we need to, we can easily get under the 2nd apron in order to make a subsequent move that would not be subject to second apron rules.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,352

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M) 

Post#608 » by Froob » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:30 am

Wyc put his money where his mouth is, give him credit

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,690

Post#609 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:33 am

33 mil a year. Oof
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,439

Post#610 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:34 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
fallguy wrote:Pretty happy with it. They will already have a plan to retain White (which may or may not involve ditching Jaylen) which was my only concern with a Jrue extension.

Curry for Jaylen and picks.

He’ll retire a warriors but I wouldn’t scoff at this one.

They are a hard read right now, but the fork in the road is coming fast. One of the highest payrolls in league history has them as the 9th seed right now with a rapidly aging team?

Their owner and front office have said repeatedly since the start of last offseason that their #1 goal is to get the team out of the tax next season. That's entirely possible for them with Klay's and CP3's contracts expiring, perhaps even if both of them get resigned. But that's only if Klay takes less that what teams like Orlando are rumored to be thinking about giving him.

I'm very interested to see Curry's reaction if and when they put out a lesser team next year that projects to win 30-35 games and is poised to just get lesser and lesser as time goes by. He will get recruited like crazy by teammates at the Olympics if it shapes up like that -- especially if Klay leaves.

I personally don't think Curry has any particular loyalty to the Ws, their owner, their fans, or even the Bay Area -- although he may not want to move his kids at this time. They aren't the storied Lakers. His biggest loyalty seems to be to Dray, Klay, and Kerr. For his part, Kerr's contract was set to expire but he recently got extended. That seems to indicate they aren't going to blow it up, but it may also just be a golden parachute or setting up trading him to a team like ours for a draft pick.

The media has floated LeBron joining up with the Ws this summer, but I personally think LeBron is just trying to get LA to pay him one more time tbh. Who knows, though?

Long story short, hard for me to imagine that Curry just wants to play out his career on lottery teams when he still has a chance to become a top 3-4 player ever. A Curry nostalgia tour not a winner for the team either, as we saw when we held onto the 80s Celts core too long. My guess is that Ws probably try and fail to make a move to get him some help, and then it will get interesting.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#611 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:50 am

Hell yeah! LOve it. Keep this core together. Jrue is a key piece of the core. Excellent shooter. Can handle the balll. High IQ. The only guy on our team who's won a ring..brings leadership, great teammate, awesome defender.

Got him locked up and for a reasonable amount of money - will make $3 mil less than he was slated to make next season and will make like $85 mil less than he could've made on his extension..so now both KP and Jrue have accepted less money to extend with Boston long term...because they want to WIN.

Plus, we get Jrue locked up before the playoffs start. So he won't have this lingering in the back of his mind while he's out there playing in the playoffs - now he can just focus on playing basketball, with the extension locked up..

LFG!

Next up is Derrick and Tatum's extensions this summer.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Memokerobi
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,341

Post#612 » by Memokerobi » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:00 am

Hal14 wrote:Hell yeah! LOve it. Keep this core together. Jrue is a key piece of the core. Excellent shooter. Can handle the balll. High IQ. The only guy on our team who's won a ring..brings leadership, great teammate, awesome defender.

Got him locked up and for a reasonable amount of money - will make $3 mil less than he was slated to make next season and will make like $85 mil less than he could've made on his extension..so now both KP and Jrue have accepted less money to extend with Boston long term...because they want to WIN.

LFG!

Actually he'll make around 9M less than what his player option would have paid him next year due to the structure of the deal
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#613 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:01 am

Memokerobi wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Hell yeah! LOve it. Keep this core together. Jrue is a key piece of the core. Excellent shooter. Can handle the balll. High IQ. The only guy on our team who's won a ring..brings leadership, great teammate, awesome defender.

LFG!

Actually he'll make around 9M less than what his player option would have paid him next year due to the structure of the deal

Woah, no way..even better!
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#614 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:05 am

One down two to go.

Cs will be a 2nd apron team next season.

That means Springer's 4m salary would actually be 6m or 7m, if you include the tax the Cs will be paying.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Cs trade Springer after this season.

And locking up Holiday means we're closer to the decade long window that I keep saying we have.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#615 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:07 am

The Corey's wrote:33 mil a year. Oof

Time to face the reality that this is what it was going to cost, and the Celtics knew it when they traded two rotation players and two firsts for him.

Last summer, when Jrue-to-BOS? ideas came up, I was initially against it due to Jrue’s age and $$. Quickly got behind it though (like, in a day) and now that I’ve seen him be a key to one of the better regular seasons in league history I’m pumped, personally. As long as they spend for Derrick too. I didn’t have reason to believe ownership would spend, but so far they are.

The cap is going up. The smart teams pay their players. It’s great to have lots of great players. It’s not our money (the fans) — ownership knows titles will put $$ back in their pocket so let them spend what it takes to get there!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,690

Post#616 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:08 am

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:33 mil a year. Oof

Time to face the reality that this is what it was going to cost, and the Celtics knew it when they traded two rotation players and two firsts for him.

Last summer, when Jrue-to-BOS? ideas came up, I was initially against it due to Jrue’s age and $$. Quickly got behind it though (like, in a day) and now that I’ve seen him be a key to one of the better regular seasons in league history I’m pumped, personally. As long as they spend for Derrick too. I didn’t have reason to believe ownership would spend, but so far they are.

The cap is going up. The smart teams pay their players. It’s great to have lots of great players.

The money only works if he produces.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,998

Post#617 » by Parliament10 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:09 am

Read on Twitter

Nicely Done.

He turned down $37M next year, to make $135 over 4 yrs.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,977

Post#618 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am

Fierce1 wrote:So I wouldn't be surprised if the Cs trade Springer after this season.

Not sure what kind of market there is for him, though. He rarely plays, and when he does he shows he's pretty raw.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#619 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:11 am

This extension also tells us that the Cs are willing to be a 2nd apron team and they're keeping this core for as long as they can.

That's great for Celtic fans.

Al might retire after next season, but it's looking like we'll be seeing the core 7 plus Queta, Walsh, and maybe Kornet and Tillman until 2028, at the very least.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#620 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:12 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:So I wouldn't be surprised if the Cs trade Springer after this season.

Not sure what kind of market there is for him, though. He rarely plays, and when he does he shows he's pretty raw.

Cs just need to get back the 2nd round pick they used on him.

For a 2nd apron team, paying the 14th man 6m or 7m, taxes included, is just not worth it.

Return to Boston Celtics