ImageImageImage

Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M) 

Post#621 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:14 am

The Corey's wrote:33 mil a year. Oof

He will never be a top 50 most expensive player assuming something like 30, 32.5, 35, 37.5.
Will be closer to 100th near the end of the c
Pretty fair deal really.
Sign here
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#622 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:16 am

The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:33 mil a year. Oof

Time to face the reality that this is what it was going to cost, and the Celtics knew it when they traded two rotation players and two firsts for him.

Last summer, when Jrue-to-BOS? ideas came up, I was initially against it due to Jrue’s age and $$. Quickly got behind it though (like, in a day) and now that I’ve seen him be a key to one of the better regular seasons in league history I’m pumped, personally. As long as they spend for Derrick too. I didn’t have reason to believe ownership would spend, but so far they are.

The cap is going up. The smart teams pay their players. It’s great to have lots of great players.

The money only works if he produces.

I’m worried that you think produces = PPG.

I see some of the best defense I’ve ever seen from a guard, and a steadying influence who has helped keep this team running smoothly from day 1. Remember — by contrast — the ups and downs of our last PG? Gone. I see a guy who seems to be fitting in great on the court and off, and is consistently recognized as a great teammate. I also — and maybe most importantly — see a guy who’s sacrificed shots and touches and games way more than any other starter, without so much as a peep despite being in a potential FA year — and they did right by him. To me, contributing is being a key part of one of the best regular season teams of this century.

I also see a guy whose game has a chance to age really well, especially in this lineup. Defend, move the ball, hit corner threes and post guys up when you feel like it? Sure. And take it easy for stretches in the RS so Pritchard can get his 20 or so games in the sun per season.

Sure by age 37 he’ll likely be getting more than he would have on the open market — but it’s not a guarantee — we’ll see!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Roger Federer
Senior
And1: 653

Post#623 » by Roger Federer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:18 am

Guess we are all in with this squad. They better win at least 2 with this group then. Even 1 would be an underachievement, not that I still wouldn't take it.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#624 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:19 am

Roger Federer wrote:Guess we are all in with this squad. They better win at least 2 with this group then. Even 1 would be an underachievement, not that I still wouldn't take it.

This roster is capable of winning 3 chips and a bonus chip in the early 2030s.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,997

Post#625 » by Parliament10 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:20 am

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#626 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:20 am

Fierce1 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:So I wouldn't be surprised if the Cs trade Springer after this season.

Not sure what kind of market there is for him, though. He rarely plays, and when he does he shows he's pretty raw.

Cs just need to get back the 2nd round pick they used on him.

For a 2nd apron team, paying the 14th man 6m or 7m, taxes included, is just not worth it.

That’s why it was a somewhat curious move. My guess is they like his potential enough to invest in it next year — otherwise don’t make that move. If it were me, I’d just bring over Begarin on the minimum. But they say they’ve liked Springer for awhile, and I can see how it could potentially work out.

Regardless, as a second apron team, how could they trade him? You need exactly equal salary coming back — does anyone know if that WOULDN’T apply if “dumping” him to a team with cap space? Might need to spend another 2nd to get rid of him, honestly.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#627 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:23 am

Fierce1 wrote:Cs will be a 2nd apron team next season.

That means Springer's 4m salary would actually be 6m or 7m, if you include the tax the Cs will be paying.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Cs trade Springer after this season.

Again, I'm not really following that logic.

Everyone already knew that Boston was going to be a 2nd apron team next season (and every season for the forseeable future). Brad knew that when he made the move to acquire Springer a few weeks ago.

If what you say is true, then Brad wouldn't have made the move to acquire Springer in the first place. Why trade away assets for a guy and then trade him away 2 months later? Makes no sense.

If anything, this Jrue extension means we are *less* likely to trade Springer this offseason, since Jrue will now make about $9 mil *less* next season than he would have made if he exercised his option..

First the G league championship game thread and now the Jrue thread - you're turning every thread into a campaign to have Springer traded - seems like you have an agenda here..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#628 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:26 am

Hal14 wrote:

That means Springer's 4m salary would actually be 6m or 7m, if you include the tax the Cs will be paying.

Everyone already knew that Boston was going to be a 2nd apron team next season (and every season for the forseeable future). Brad knew that when he made the move to acquire Springer a few weeks ago.

If what you say is true, then Brad wouldn't have made the move to acquire Springer in the first place. Why trade away assets for a guy and then trade him away 2 months later? Makes no sense.

If anything, this Jrue extension means we are *less* likely to trade Springer this offseason, since Jrue will now make about $9 mil *less* next season than he would have made if he exercised his option..

Isn't it true that if the Cs get rid of Springer they save money if they replace him with a cheaper player?

The logic of this is paying a 14th man around 6m or 7m is just too much.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#629 » by Parliament10 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:27 am

31to6 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:Not sure what kind of market there is for him, though. He rarely plays, and when he does he shows he's pretty raw.

Cs just need to get back the 2nd round pick they used on him.

For a 2nd apron team, paying the 14th man 6m or 7m, taxes included, is just not worth it.

That’s why it was a somewhat curious move. My guess is they like his potential enough to invest in it next year — otherwise don’t make that move. If it were me, I’d just bring over Begarin on the minimum. But they say they’ve liked Springer for awhile, and I can see how it could potentially work out.

Regardless, as a second apron team, how could they trade him? You need exactly equal salary coming back — does anyone know if that WOULDN’T apply if “dumping” him to a team with cap space? Might need to spend another 2nd to get rid of him, honestly.

I didn't think that the pickup was a good idea. But, maybe Brad saw something.
Brad will figure out something. Doubtful that Springer is on the Team next Season, though.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#630 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:28 am

Roger Federer wrote:Guess we are all in with this squad. They better win at least 2 with this group then. Even 1 would be an underachievement, not that I still wouldn't take it.

Not everyone can be Roger Federer and win 9 out of 15 or whatever it was.
Sign here
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,411

Post#631 » by KillahGhostface » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:30 am

Fierce1 wrote:

This roster is capable of winning 3 chips and a bonus chip in the early 2030s.

Fierce1
RealGM

Post#632 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:35 am

If the Cs don't win the chip this year then they'll win 3 chips until 2032 or 2033.

2034 will be a stretch.

Look at the roster.

JT is 26, JB is 27, and KP is 28.

This is not the Big 3 of KG and Pierce where they were all in their early 30s.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#633 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:36 am

Fierce1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Isn't it true that if the Cs get rid of Springer they save money if they replace him with a cheaper player?

If Brad was worried about that, he wouldn't have traded for Springer in the first place.

We can afford to pay Springer that money, especially after saving around $9 mil on next year's payroll with this Jrue extension.

Wyc and Brad have made it clear that the goal is to win championships - not pinch pennies.

As of now, these players are under contract for next season:

1. Tatum
2. brown
3. KP
4. Jrue
5. White
6. al
7 hauser
8 pritchard
9. Springer

Those are the only 9 guys who have guaranteed contracts for next season. So I wouldn't necessarily label Springer the "14th man"

Then there's Walsh (non-guaranteed deal), Queta (non-guaranteed deal), Brissett (player option) and Tillman, Kornet and Svi are free agents.

But as of now, Springer is a top 9 player on the team for next season.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,080

Post#634 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:36 am

So it’s not a straight up extension. Renegotiate-and-extend. Lowers next year’s number and locks him up for more years. Zarren does it again.

As long as he doesn’t suffer a major injury ala Hayward, that number is tradeable at any point if need be.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#635 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:39 am

I’ll just believe Bobby when he says Cs can get under apron (1st/2nd?). Like WTF, SBOBO Brad is a God.
Read on Twitter
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#636 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:45 am

Hal14 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Again, I'm not really following that logic.

If Brad was worried about that, he wouldn't have traded for Springer in the first place.

We can afford to pay Springer that money, especially after saving around $9 mil on next year's payroll with this Jrue extension.

Wyc and Brad have made it clear that the goal is to win championships - not pinch pennies.

As of now, these players are under contract for next season:

1. Tatum
2. brown
3. KP
4. Jrue
5. White
6. al
7 hauser
8 pritchard
9. Springer

Those are the only 9 guys who have guaranteed contracts for next season. So I wouldn't necessarily label Springer the "14th man"

Then there's Walsh (non-guaranteed deal), Queta (non-guaranteed deal), Brissett (player option) and Tillman, Kornet and Svi are free agents.

But as of now, Springer is a top 9 player on the team for next season.

I'm expecting Kornet and Tillman to be back next season and Walsh and Queta are under contract.

Also, Brissett will most likely opt in.

So that's:

9. Tillman
10. Kornet
11. Brissett
12. Queta
13. Walsh
14. Springer

Walsh has more upside than Springer.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#637 » by Parliament10 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:45 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:I’ll just believe Bobby when he says Cs can get under apron (1st/2nd?). Like WTF, SBOBO Brad is a God.
Read on Twitter

It's probably the 2nd Apron. But good salary financing.
They still have more work to do, though.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#638 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:48 am

The good news is Wyc Grousbeck learned his lesson.

I truly believe the Cs Big 3 of KG, Pierce, and Ray would have won 2 titles if they did not let Posey leave.

The owners just refused to give Posey that additional 1 year worth 6m that Posey was asking for.

In the end it cost the Celtics their depth.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#639 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:48 am

Robot Dave will not be outdone lol.
Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#640 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:51 am

Read on Twitter

In honor of Curb’s final episode, that’s “pretty, pretty, pretty… pretty good.”

Read on Twitter

And still… the undisputed Executive of the Wooooorrrld…

Return to Boston Celtics