ImageImageImage

Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M) 

Post#641 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:54 am

We’ll need a longer-term analysis of the likelihood of keeping this roster together beyond next season. I don’t think John Karalis is a cap expert of any sort but I’ve heard him express skepticism that the current roster goes past a two or three year window.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#642 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:02 am

31to6 wrote:We’ll need a longer-term analysis of the likelihood of keeping this roster together beyond next season. I don’t think John Karalis is a cap expert of any sort but I’ve heard him express skepticism that the current roster goes past a two or three year window.

Well we know we will supermax Tatum and likely extend White…maybe a deal similar to Jrue? Porzingas has two more years after this so that would be the next real gut check to see if the window is still open
Sign here
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#643 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:07 am

So if it's a renegotiate and extend, like what zoya said, that means the Cs were findings ways to save money for next season.

There was no rush in extending Jrue.
I mean Jrue still had 1 more year left on his contract after this season.

So to save money for next season, the Cs offered Jrue to forego the 37m next season to be replaced by 135m.

Smart move by the Cs.
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,119

Post#644 » by MaxwellSmart » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:08 am

Awesome deal....I'm more upset that Springer is making twice what Hauser is.
MSTRJMES
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#645 » by MSTRJMES » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:08 am

If somebody’s got to go, I think we know who that will be.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#646 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:12 am

MSTRJMES wrote:If somebody’s got to go, I think we know who that will be.

Svi.
Sign here
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#647 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:13 am

MaxwellSmart wrote:Awesome deal....I'm more upset that Springer is making twice what Hauser is.

That's why I keep saying Springer is a luxury the Cs don't need.

It's not about the player because I think Springer has potential.

But it's about the numbers that directly affects the finances of the organization.

The Celtics wanted to save money by renegotiating Jrue's deal.

So if it's about saving money for the long term, why keep Springer's contract when it's totally unnecessary?

Springer will just sit on the bench for the majority of the season.

Giving him 1st rnd pick money is not justified.
31to6
RealGM

Post#648 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:14 am

brackdan70 wrote:
31to6 wrote:We’ll need a longer-term analysis of the likelihood of keeping this roster together beyond next season. I don’t think John Karalis is a cap expert of any sort but I’ve heard him express skepticism that the current roster goes past a two or three year window.

Well we know we will supermax Tatum and likely extend White…maybe a deal similar to Jrue? Porzingas has two more years after this so that would be the next real gut check to see if the window is still open

Bobby Marks seems to be operating on the assumption that teams will want to avoid the aprons — and a lot of us assumed that too, until the Suns, Warriors, and Cs said “**** that” and went through it. No reason to believe that couldn’t be the case in the future as well.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#649 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:15 am

Fierce1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Isn't it true that if the Cs get rid of Springer they save money if they replace him with a cheaper player?

The logic of this is paying a 14th man around 6m or 7m is just too much.

If Brad was worried about that, he wouldn't have traded for Springer in the first place.

We can afford to pay Springer that money, especially after saving around $9 mil on next year's payroll with this Jrue extension.

Wyc and Brad have made it clear that the goal is to win championships - not pinch pennies.

As of now, these players are under contract for next season:

1. Tatum
2. brown
3. KP
4. Jrue
5. White
6. al
7 hauser
8 pritchard
9. Springer

Those are the only 9 guys who have guaranteed contracts for next season. So I wouldn't necessarily label Springer the "14th man"

Then there's Walsh (non-guaranteed deal), Queta (non-guaranteed deal), Brissett (player option) and Tillman, Kornet and Svi are free agents.

But as of now, Springer is a top 9 player on the team for next season.

I'm expecting Kornet and Tillman to be back next season and Walsh and Queta are under contract.

Also, Brissett will most likely opt in.

So that's:

9. Tillman
10. Kornet
11. Brissett
12. Queta
13. Walsh
14. Springer

Walsh has more upside than Springer.

Walsh and Queta are non-guaranteed contracts for next season.

You're making a lot of assumptions by assuming they will be back and assuming Brisett will opt in and assuming both Kornet and Tillman will resign (there's a chance another team out there offers them more $ than we do..)

Bottom line, Brad traded for Springer for a reason. Stop trying so hard to push this "trade springer" agenda, when he just got here and is under contract for next season..and a cheap contract too..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
31to6
RealGM

Post#650 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:17 am

Guys Jaden Springer has a thread. If you can’t avoid displacing anxiety about $$ in his direction, can you do it there? This is like driving home a new car and worrying about what you paid for the floor mats.

Soon each Jay will be making $70M per, and the other starters over $30M each. It’s an expensive and ever-changing league!
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,690

Post#651 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:26 am

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Time to face the reality that this is what it was going to cost, and the Celtics knew it when they traded two rotation players and two firsts for him.

Last summer, when Jrue-to-BOS? ideas came up, I was initially against it due to Jrue’s age and $$. Quickly got behind it though (like, in a day) and now that I’ve seen him be a key to one of the better regular seasons in league history I’m pumped, personally. As long as they spend for Derrick too. I didn’t have reason to believe ownership would spend, but so far they are.

The cap is going up. The smart teams pay their players. It’s great to have lots of great players.

The money only works if he produces.

I’m worried that you think produces = PPG.

I see some of the best defense I’ve ever seen from a guard, and a steadying influence who has helped keep this team running smoothly from day 1. Remember — by contrast — the ups and downs of our last PG? Gone. I see a guy who seems to be fitting in great on the court and off, and is consistently recognized as a great teammate. I also — and maybe most importantly — see a guy who’s sacrificed shots and touches and games way more than any other starter, without so much as a peep despite being in a potential FA year — and they did right by him. To me, contributing is being a key part of one of the best regular season teams of this century.

I also see a guy whose game has a chance to age really well, especially in this lineup. Defend, move the ball, hit corner threes and post guys up when you feel like it? Sure. And take it easy for stretches in the RS so Pritchard can get his 20 or so games in the sun per season.

Sure by age 37 he’ll likely be getting more than he would have on the open market — but it’s not a guarantee — we’ll see!

Did you think the team lost a whole lot in the couple weeks he missed?

Hes obviously overpaid and I'm not gonna get into the semantics of if it's worth it cause the cap is going up. That argument is used every time for every player.

The good news is, him and Brown will be good trade assets if the time comes.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#652 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:30 am

Hal14 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:If Brad was worried about that, he wouldn't have traded for Springer in the first place.

We can afford to pay Springer that money, especially after saving around $9 mil on next year's payroll with this Jrue extension.

Wyc and Brad have made it clear that the goal is to win championships - not pinch pennies.

As of now, these players are under contract for next season:

1. Tatum
2. brown
3. KP
4. Jrue
5. White
6. al
7 hauser
8 pritchard
9. Springer

Those are the only 9 guys who have guaranteed contracts for next season. So I wouldn't necessarily label Springer the "14th man"

Then there's Walsh (non-guaranteed deal), Queta (non-guaranteed deal), Brissett (player option) and Tillman, Kornet and Svi are free agents.

But as of now, Springer is a top 9 player on the team for next season.

I'm expecting Kornet and Tillman to be back next season and Walsh and Queta are under contract.

Also, Brissett will most likely opt in.

So that's:

9. Tillman
10. Kornet
11. Brissett
12. Queta
13. Walsh
14. Springer

Walsh has more upside than Springer.

Walsh and Queta are non-guaranteed contracts for next season.

You're making a lot of assumptions by assuming they will be back and assuming Brisett will opt in and assuming both Kornet and Tillman will resign (there's a chance another team out there offers them more $ than we do..)

Bottom line, Brad traded for Springer for a reason. Stop trying so hard to push this "trade springer" agenda, when he just got here and is under contract for next season..and a cheap contract too..

Yeah, Brad traded for Springer because Springer was cheap and he has potential.

Just because Springer is under contract doesn't mean the Cs can't flip him for a 2nd rnd pick.

Also, I'm assuming they'll all return because it makes too much sense to make them all return for next season.

The chemistry is great.

Just doesn't make sense spend more money on Springer than Hauser.

Springer will just sit on the bench for the majority of the season.

I will not be surprised if the Cs trade Springer and their 1st rnd pick this year on draft night.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,977

Post#653 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 am

31to6 wrote:Bobby Marks seems to be operating on the assumption that teams will want to avoid the aprons — and a lot of us assumed that too, until the Suns, Warriors, and Cs said “**** that” and went through it. No reason to believe that couldn’t be the case in the future as well.

In his calculations Marks estimated that Hauser's next contract will be 4/$78M. Interesting.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#654 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 am

31to6 wrote:Guys Jaden Springer has a thread. If you can’t avoid displacing anxiety about $$ in his direction, can you do it there? This is like driving home a new car and worrying about what you paid for the floor mats.

Soon each Jay will be making $70M per, and the other starters over $30M each. It’s an expensive and ever-changing league!

The Jrue Holiday renegotiate and extend is giving us a hint on what the organization is trying to do.

At first, you would be surprised the Cs gave Jrue that much money.

But if you look closer, the Cs actually saved a lot of money by making Jrue forego his 37m next season.

Thus the trend of the Cs trying to save money for the long term.

This is where the Jaden Springer contract comes in.

It just doesn't make sense to keep Springer's contract if the Cs gave Jrue 135m so that the Cs can save money for 2024-25.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,118

Post#655 » by fallguy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:35 am

Fierce1 wrote:The good news is Wyc Grousbeck learned his lesson.

I truly believe the Cs Big 3 of KG, Pierce, and Ray would have won 2 titles if they did not let Posey leave.

The owners just refused to give Posey that additional 1 year worth 6m that Posey was asking for.

In the end it cost the Celtics their depth.

If KG was healthy, they would have won the 09 title. They were far and away the best team. Posey had nothing to do with it.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#656 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:36 am

31to6 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Bobby Marks seems to be operating on the assumption that teams will want to avoid the aprons — and a lot of us assumed that too, until the Suns, Warriors, and Cs said “**** that” and went through it. No reason to believe that couldn’t be the case in the future as well.

Yeah I think if you have good players that you want to keep around and you draft wisely and are in contention then the apron is t really a big deal. If not though and you fall out of contention then that’s when it becomes cumbersome. Brad has set the Cs up nicely to happily wear 2 aprons for a few years
Sign here
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,118

Post#657 » by fallguy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:37 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Robot Dave will not be outdone lol.
Read on Twitter

I can't believe this loser is still at it.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#658 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:39 am

Fierce1 wrote:
31to6 wrote:Guys Jaden Springer has a thread. If you can’t avoid displacing anxiety about $$ in his direction, can you do it there? This is like driving home a new car and worrying about what you paid for the floor mats.

The Jrue Holiday renegotiate and extend is giving us a hint on what the organization is trying to do.

But if you look closer, the Cs actually saved a lot of money by making Jrue forego his 37m next season.

That's not the trend.

The trend is KP left some $ on the table on his extension. Jrue left some $ on the table on his extension. Pritchard left some $ on the table on his extension. Not because the team is trying to save $. They did it so we can afford to pay a sh&t ton of money to our 5 starters and still have enough $ left over to have ourselves a good enough bench (Springer being part of that bench) so we can win the next 3 titles in a row.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#659 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:42 am

The trend is clear, it's like kicking the can down the road.

What the Cs are doing is trying to save money in the short term by backloading a big chunk of the payroll.

Cs are trying to buy time.

For example, Cs will get some cap relief once Al's contract expires next season.

Jrue's contract expires in 2028, at the peak of JB's extension.

Very savvy on the part of the Cs front office.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#660 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:47 am

Hal14 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:

That's not the trend.

The trend is KP left some $ on the table on his extension. Jrue left some $ on the table on his extension. Pritchard left some $ on the table on his extension. Not because the team is trying to save $. They did it so we can afford to pay a sh&t ton of money to our 5 starters and still have enough $ left over to have ourselves a good enough bench (Springer being part of that bench) so we can win the next 3 titles in a row.

Everything the Cs has done so far, including Jrue's renegotiate and extend, results in one thing, the Cs paying less luxury tax next season.

This season it doesn't really hurt, financially.

Next season will hurt because JB's extension kicks in and Jrue is due for 37m.

But suddenly the Cs are spending more money by giving Jrue 135m until when Jrue is 37 years old.

If you look at it closely, the Cs are potentially spending more for the future, but for the short-term, they save money for next season.

Return to Boston Celtics