ImageImageImage

Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M) 

Post#661 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:49 am

The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
The money only works if he produces.

I’m worried that you think produces = PPG.

I see some of the best defense I’ve ever seen from a guard, and a steadying influence who has helped keep this team running smoothly from day 1. Remember — by contrast — the ups and downs of our last PG? Gone. I see a guy who seems to be fitting in great on the court and off, and is consistently recognized as a great teammate. I also — and maybe most importantly — see a guy who’s sacrificed shots and touches and games way more than any other starter, without so much as a peep despite being in a potential FA year — and they did right by him. To me, contributing is being a key part of one of the best regular season teams of this century.

I also see a guy whose game has a chance to age really well, especially in this lineup. Defend, move the ball, hit corner threes and post guys up when you feel like it? Sure. And take it easy for stretches in the RS so Pritchard can get his 20 or so games in the sun per season.

Sure by age 37 he’ll likely be getting more than he would have on the open market — but it’s not a guarantee — we’ll see!

Did you think the team lost a whole lot in the couple weeks he missed?

Hes obviously overpaid and I'm not gonna get into the semantics of if it's worth it cause the cap is going up. That argument is used every time for every player.

The good news is, him and Brown will be good trade assets if the time comes.

I think the team is clear cut favorites with Holiday and pretty competitive without him. I know which one I want. You can call the cap going up semantics, but the reality is if we’re going to talk about money, it has to be today’s money. Can’t go back to when Michael Jordan made $2.5M or when AI made $20M or when Giannis made $30M. Those are all outdated.

The choice was always: trade for Jrue and pay him, trade for Jrue and let him walk for nothing (PHI was lurking), or don’t trade for Jrue but then where are we with Brogdon and Rob and their contracts and health?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,694

Post#662 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:01 am

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:

I see some of the best defense I’ve ever seen from a guard, and a steadying influence who has helped keep this team running smoothly from day 1. Remember — by contrast — the ups and downs of our last PG? Gone. I see a guy who seems to be fitting in great on the court and off, and is consistently recognized as a great teammate. I also — and maybe most importantly — see a guy who’s sacrificed shots and touches and games way more than any other starter, without so much as a peep despite being in a potential FA year — and they did right by him. To me, contributing is being a key part of one of the best regular season teams of this century.

I also see a guy whose game has a chance to age really well, especially in this lineup. Defend, move the ball, hit corner threes and post guys up when you feel like it? Sure. And take it easy for stretches in the RS so Pritchard can get his 20 or so games in the sun per season.

Sure by age 37 he’ll likely be getting more than he would have on the open market — but it’s not a guarantee — we’ll see!

Hes obviously overpaid and I'm not gonna get into the semantics of if it's worth it cause the cap is going up. That argument is used every time for every player.

I think the team is clear cut favorites with Holiday and pretty competitive without him. I know which one I want. You can call the cap going up semantics, but the reality is if we’re going to talk about money, it has to be today’s money. Can’t go back to when Michael Jordan made $2.5M or when AI made $20M or when Giannis made $30M. Those are all outdated.

The choice was always: trade for Jrue and pay him, trade for Jrue and let him walk for nothing (PHI was lurking), or don’t trade for Jrue but then where are we with Brogdon and Rob and their contracts and health?

I'm not mad about it.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,439

Post#663 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:43 am

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:33 mil a year. Oof

Time to face the reality that this is what it was going to cost, and the Celtics knew it when they traded two rotation players and two firsts for him.

Last summer, when Jrue-to-BOS? ideas came up, I was initially against it due to Jrue’s age and $$. Quickly got behind it though (like, in a day) and now that I’ve seen him be a key to one of the better regular seasons in league history I’m pumped, personally. As long as they spend for Derrick too. I didn’t have reason to believe ownership would spend, but so far they are.

The cap is going up. The smart teams pay their players. It’s great to have lots of great players. It’s not our money (the fans) — ownership knows titles will put $$ back in their pocket so let them spend what it takes to get there!

There were rumors that the new TV contract might triple, and that would provide a massive cap spike as soon as next summer. It's why I have been able to handle Jaylen's contract... a little.

Someone told me that on Simmons' pod, they recently said that it is looking closer to a jump of maaaybe 10% in summer of 2025, but not going to verify that.

Either way, get on board with sticker shock going forward. Part of that is that you really need to apply specific years of a contract to specific cap numbers and then adjust for inflation. Some of these 5 year, $260m rookie extensions are more likely to be $230m in the end and also don't even start for a year. When they do, the 1st year is significantly lower than 1/5th of the total deal. If you take that 1st year salary relative to that year's cap/tax and then adjust it to this year's cap/tax, it sometimes turns out to be equal to Tyler Herro's current salary, and it all seems less crazy. Food for thought lol.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,439

Post#664 » by Captain_Caveman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:33 am

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:

This contract is exactly what anyone should have expected on the day of the trade, IMO.

Win-win. For his age and level of statistical production, this guy got paaaaaaaid. No question about that. But we are in the middle of a championship window, and he's exactly the kind of guy you want to do that for. Probably would have gotten a similar deal as a free agent this summer as well. Trading for him and having him walk in a year would have been no bueno.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#665 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:12 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Time to face the reality that this is what it was going to cost, and the Celtics knew it when they traded two rotation players and two firsts for him.

Last summer, when Jrue-to-BOS? ideas came up, I was initially against it due to Jrue’s age and $$. Quickly got behind it though (like, in a day) and now that I’ve seen him be a key to one of the better regular seasons in league history I’m pumped, personally. As long as they spend for Derrick too. I didn’t have reason to believe ownership would spend, but so far they are.

The cap is going up. The smart teams pay their players. It’s great to have lots of great players. It’s not our money (the fans) — ownership knows titles will put $$ back in their pocket so let them spend what it takes to get there!

There were rumors that the new TV contract might triple, and that would provide a massive cap spike as soon as next summer. It's why I have been able to handle Jaylen's contract... a little.

Someone told me that on Simmons' pod, they recently said that it is looking closer to a jump of maaaybe 10% in summer of 2025, but not going to verify that.

Either way, get on board with sticker shock going forward. Part of that is that you really need to apply specific years of a contract to specific cap numbers and then adjust for inflation. Some of these 5 year, $260m rookie extensions are more likely to be $230m in the end and also don't even start for a year. When they do, the 1st year is significantly lower than 1/5th of the total deal. If you take that 1st year salary relative to that year's cap/tax and then adjust it to this year's cap/tax, it sometimes turns out to be equal to Tyler Herro's current salary, and it all seems less crazy. Food for thought lol.

NBA has aimed at tripling the value of their 10 year TV deal, from $24 billion, which itself represented a huge jump, to $80 billion.

NFL had already tripled their TV deal, singed a couple of years ago.

But deal is not signed. Disney and WBD (TNT) have just a couple of months to come to a deal with the NBA. After that, other bidders can negotiate — Amazon, NBC, etc.

Speculation is that NBA won’t get triple. Also NBA will look to sell off streaming packages separately while both DIsney and WBD says they would have to get streaming rights.

In any event, I think the CBA made sure not to have any more spikes, regardless of how much more TV money that they get.

So this summer Celtics give Tatum over $300 million and either this fall or summer 2025, they give how much to Derrick White?
jonige94
Senior
And1: 634

Post#666 » by jonige94 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:34 am

Would have waited till after the playoffs to have made this sort of decision.

Have been kinda underwhelmed by Jrue tbh
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#667 » by cl2117 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:14 am

Love it. We overpayed a bit, but it had to be done. The die was cast long ago when we crossed the rubicon of being a 2nd apron team.

With the new restrictions for 2nd apron teams it becomes paramount to retain the talent already on the roster since the options to replace them are more limited. With Jrue extended we lock in our starting 5 and top 8 for next season, we'll be basically running back the best regular season team in the NBA this season. Outstanding.

In an ideal scenario you wait until after the playoffs, especially given Jrue hasn't exactly shown out historically, but again it was absolutely a necessity to bring him back. We wouldn't have wanted Philly or another team to have had a chance to make a run at him this summer. Plus hopefully he's going into the playoffs with a bit more confidence and will continue to be the guy who has sacrificed the most statistically for the benefit of the team now that he knows he's got his contract locked down.

I also think there will be a surprising number of options to move that contract in the later years if need be (assuming Jrue doesn't completely fall off). You're not going to get like for like talent back, but I think there will always be a handful of teams that are willing to cobble together rotation players for an overpaid star in the hopes that it'll sate the guy currently on their roster. I'm hoping ownership are willing to keep the likes of White and Hauser around when their time comes and look to move Jrue if/when he falls off even if they have to pay to do it (basically a changing of the guard). It'll be a lot of money, but if we can squeeze a banner or two out of it, they should be happy to pony up until the wheels fall off.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#668 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:15 am

jonige94 wrote:Would have waited till after the playoffs to have made this sort of decision.

Have been kinda underwhelmed by Jrue tbh

If you're referring to his stats, it's low because he's just the 5th option in Boston.

But we're still getting the defense and the winning plays that Marcus Smart used to do for the Cs.

Jrue is also shooting the ball well from 3.

And there's no drama with Jrue, he's a true professional.
Shamrock
Head Coach
And1: 5,081

Post#669 » by Shamrock » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:29 pm

Had to do it - Now lock up D White
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#670 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:28 pm

MaxwellSmart wrote:Awesome deal....I'm more upset that Springer is making twice what Hauser is.

I mean, Ben Simmons is making like more than double the salary of D-white this season.

Duncan robinson is making like 8x the salary of Hauser..you could go down the line and come up with plenty of other examples like that..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 659

Post#671 » by JaMarco » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:04 pm

This was the correct move to keep the Cs core together for the foreseeable future. Stevens with another good move.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#672 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:35 pm

Jrue rhymes with Glue.. But wish there was a way to have a 3 year instead of 4, but probably not possible. No complaints here.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#673 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:25 pm

This is the first step to that decade long window that I keep talking about.

The first window will be until Jrue's extension expires.

Second window will be when the Cs won't have Al and Jrue anymore but still have the Jays, KP, and hopefully White.

Run ends in 2034 when the Jays are old.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,083

Post#675 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,977

Post#676 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:44 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

I find it interesting (odd?) that around the 1:00 mark he says he's happy to be able to lock in two more years.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,045

Post#677 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:48 pm

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#678 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:50 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

I find it interesting (odd?) that around the 1:00 mark he says he's happy to be able to lock in two more years.

Interesting/odd how? That he mentions two more years instead of three? Last/4th year of deal is player option.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#679 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 pm

I think Jrue was to get $263M in next 5 years if he demanded a max extension. The fact that Brad and co. got him at $135M for 4 is a huge win. And what’s the alternative, you let him walk after spending real assets on him and also seeing how well he fits with this contending team?
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,977

Post#680 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:08 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Interesting/odd how? That he mentions two more years instead of three? Last/4th year of deal is player option.

Ah, I didn't know about the player option. Thanks.

Return to Boston Celtics