ImageImageImage

Appreciation Thread: Rob Williams & Malcolm Brogdon

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,806

Re: Appreciation Thread: Rob Williams & Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#21 » by playa-hater » Sun Oct 1, 2023 8:59 pm

I have always claimed RW was our 2nd most impactful player, When Fully healthy. Yes those days weren't often enough.. Sad we had to give up a "good piece" to get one. But will always wish him the best.

I thought Brogdon was true professional for us and never complained about being a 6th man.

Wish him good luck as well.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,019

Post#22 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Oct 1, 2023 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,196

Post#23 » by BK_2020 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:00 am

Good luck, Malcolm and Rob. You guys were great 50% of the time.
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#24 » by RTG HD » Mon Oct 2, 2023 5:02 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but any chance some friendly Celtic fans can give us Blazer fans a guide to what RW3 can do and what to expect from him when healthy? Can he play PF next to another big guy? What is his roll on offense? How consistent is he on each side of the floor? Types of players he matches up good or bad against? Stuff like that. Thanks, friendly Blazer fan.
Btw hope you sweep the Heat this coming season.
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,690

Post#25 » by steefP2 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 5:33 pm

RTG HD wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask but any chance some friendly Celtic fans can give us Blazer fans a guide to what RW3 can do and what to expect from him when healthy? Can he play PF next to another big guy? What is his roll on offense? How consistent is he on each side of the floor? Types of players he matches up good or bad against? Stuff like that. Thanks, friendly Blazer fan.

I hate that I have to qualify this but I do, when rob is right, aka feeling good and healthy; he’s one of the best lob threats and vertical spacers in the nba. Will dunk everything. Great offensive rebounder. Has shown range up to 15 foot but almost never takes those. Has been working on his short roll finishing, aka 10 foot touch but we haven’t seen it much. Consider him a rim presence only until you see different. Needs to be more aggressive, unselfish to a fault but good passer for a big. Will find people on cuts, somewhat over ambitious on his passes. Can play next to a stretch big but idk if Ayton qualifies.

Defensively he’s one of the better help defenders in the league. Tremendous shot blocker. Good in drop, can switch decently but not amazing. Gets overpowered by the bigger/stronger dudes. Consistency is tied to health which isn’t consistent but when he plays he’s high energy and hungry. Tremendous locker room presence. Big goofy dude. Beloved.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,274

Post#26 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 6:51 pm

RTG HD wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask but any chance some friendly Celtic fans can give us Blazer fans a guide to what RW3 can do and what to expect from him when healthy? Can he play PF next to another big guy? What is his roll on offense? How consistent is he on each side of the floor? Types of players he matches up good or bad against? Stuff like that. Thanks, friendly Blazer fan.

The full Timelord experience in 3 and a half minutes:

Marcus Smart is my favorite player so this isn't me hating on him at all but Robert Williams got robbed of the DPOY in 2022. Here's a great breakdown of how he turned the Celtics defense around midway through that season:

If only he could stay healthy.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,212

Post#27 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:19 am

Read on Twitter

Brogdon will be part of the 2024 Celtics title team documentary. He is what got us Jrue. A footnote, but still part of it.

Read on Twitter
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,111

Post#28 » by 31to6 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:13 pm

Rob Williams might have made more plays that I could not believe actually happened than all of the other Celtics I've been watching since the mid-1980s combined.

To me there are very few things more exciting to watch than a lob or ORB or a block where you're like "he can't get that, that can't happen OH **** HE DID IT" as he absolutely crushes it. Thanks for all of the good times, Rob.

That ... said ... those times were already seeming to become less frequent, and it's fair to be skeptical about them continuing as before going forward. He's going to have to diversify his game, and it was super exciting that he seemed to work this summer to start doing so, and I was excited to see if he came back this season "healthy" and started becoming a guy on offense that the defense had to pay any attention to whatsoever. If he can become a factor on offense (jump hook, one dribble drives, turnaround jumper) he can become an All Star caliber player. If he doesn't, the Celtics may have traded his stock when it was high.

It's easy to hope traded players 'fail' so you don't have to bemoan what you gave up, but I'm going to do the opposite and root for Rob to have a long and healthy and awesome career. I'll certainly enjoy continuing to follow it.

Malcolm was good and now he gone;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,108

Post#29 » by La Flame » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:55 pm

LobWill deserved his own separate thread
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,580

Post#30 » by 165bows » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:58 pm

31to6 wrote:Rob Williams might have made more plays that I could not believe actually happened than all of the other Celtics I've been watching since the mid-1980s combined.

To me there are very few things more exciting to watch than a lob or ORB or a block where you're like "he can't get that, that can't happen OH **** HE DID IT" as he absolutely crushes it. Thanks for all of the good times, Rob.

That ... said ... those times were already seeming to become less frequent, and it's fair to be skeptical about them continuing as before going forward. He's going to have to diversify his game, and it was super exciting that he seemed to work this summer to start doing so, and I was excited to see if he came back this season "healthy" and started becoming a guy on offense that the defense had to pay any attention to whatsoever. If he can become a factor on offense (jump hook, one dribble drives, turnaround jumper) he can become an All Star caliber player. If he doesn't, the Celtics may have traded his stock when it was high.

It's easy to hope traded players 'fail' so you don't have to bemoan what you gave up, but I'm going to do the opposite and root for Rob to have a long and healthy and awesome career. I'll certainly enjoy continuing to follow it.

Malcolm was good and now he gone;)

Very well said - and it is fair to wonder if Rob transitioned from super athletic leaping big man to still doing some of what you described, but more as a function of his quickness, timing, anticipation and length all still being elite level while agree not sure the elite leaping is still there or if it comes back or not. Still gets off the floor with crazy length quicker than anybody though.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,349

Post#31 » by itrsteve » Thu Oct 5, 2023 6:56 pm

LOL, how are you going to merge Timelord's appresh thread with Malcom :(

I will forever love Rob and I feel like Brad will find a way back to him but we needed Jrue now.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,380

Post#32 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:02 pm

itrsteve wrote:LOL, how are you going to merge Timelord's appresh thread with Malcom :(

I will forever love Rob and I feel like Brad will find a way back to him but we needed Jrue now.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if RW3 was back in Boston one day. I'd be totally shocked if Malcolm Brogdon is ever back in Boston.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,496

Post#33 » by shackles10 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:22 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
itrsteve wrote:LOL, how are you going to merge Timelord's appresh thread with Malcom :(

Wouldn't surprise me at all if RW3 was back in Boston one day. I'd be totally shocked if Malcolm Brogdon is ever back in Boston.

He'll be here April 7th.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#34 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:27 pm

shackles10 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

He'll be here April 7th.

Maybe
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,243

Post#35 » by bisme37 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:34 pm

I miss Rob! Best of luck to the big homie.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,215

Post#36 » by Hal14 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:36 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:

Oh man, you're ruthless. He's finally traded and you're still taking shots at him.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#37 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:53 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

Oh man, you're ruthless. He's finally traded and you're still taking shots at him.

No shot, just don't think he will ever play for the Celtics again.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,496

Post#38 » by shackles10 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:28 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
shackles10 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Wouldn't surprise me at all if RW3 was back in Boston one day. I'd be totally shocked if Malcolm Brogdon is ever back in Boston.

He'll be here April 7th.

Maybe

Well the rest of the Trail Blazers will be in Boston that day anyways.
celtics792244
Rookie
And1: 794

Post#39 » by celtics792244 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:28 pm

The only good thing about rob leaving is that Wyc and company can finally do what they should have done years ago. Put 44 up in the rafters where it belongs. Whether Danny approves or not, he's done so much for this franchise.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,215

Post#40 » by Hal14 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:21 pm

He's a good dude. Wish him nothing but the best.

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics