ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown Thread, con't – (New Poll)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Who would you prefer on a Jaylen Brown-led Unit? (Post-Trade Deadline)

Holiday/White
30%
Porzingis/Horford
27%
Kornet
No votes
Tillman
10%
Hauser
10%
Pritchard
13%
Mykhailiuk
No votes
Brissett
No votes
Queta
3%
Walsh/Springer
7%

Total votes: 30

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Re: Jaylen Brown Thread, con't – (Poll is about JB-led Units) 

Post#41 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:01 pm

shackles10 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
KillahGhostface wrote:
I thought this was funny, and eye opening.

White/Pritchard: +24.4
Jaylen/Pritchard: +0.2
Holiday/Pritchard: +26.0
Zinger/Pritchard: +8.2
Tatum/Pritchard: +23.4

Isn't that pattern prevalent to pretty much anyone you pair him with?

But kidding aside, the non-Tatum lineups haven't been great. Of the 27 non-JT, w/ JB lineups we've used so far, only 7 have been in the positive. Of the top two, Holiday and Horford were the common denominators. But this is just all noise at this point. Just let Joe keep experimenting.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,546

Post#42 » by shackles10 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:55 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
shackles10 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Isn't that pattern prevalent to pretty much anyone you pair him with?

But kidding aside, the non-Tatum lineups haven't been great. Of the 27 non-JT, w/ JB lineups we've used so far, only 7 have been in the positive. Of the top two, Holiday and Horford were the common denominators. But this is just all noise at this point. Just let Joe keep experimenting.

Very true. Joe has also had no problem experimenting this season with everything from line-ups, defensive matchups, presses, and even some fairly unconventional challenges that have worked out so I'm good with him being a mad scientist for now.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,857

Post#43 » by KillahGhostface » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:35 pm

shackles10 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
shackles10 wrote:

Very true. Joe has also had no problem experimenting this season with everything from line-ups, defensive matchups, presses, and even some fairly unconventional challenges that have worked out so I'm good with him being a mad scientist for now.

These are the team’s net with the following players in without Tatum, and how many possessions.

Jaylen: -16.6 in 174 possessions.
Holiday: -6.4 in 128 possessions.
Porzingis: -2.0 in 125 possessions.
White: -10.4 in 97 possessions.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#44 » by shackles10 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:47 pm

They need to quit staggering Jaylen and Tatum so much. Or if Jaylen is going to be without Tatum it needs to be with more starters. But I'm just some rando on the internet who should be working instead of on RealGM :dontknow:
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 696

Post#45 » by JaMarco » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Objectivity
Junior
And1: 255

Post#46 » by Objectivity » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:48 am

JaMarco wrote:
Read on Twitter

These highlights show Jaylen almost losing the ball dribbling to the right. The other highlights also show him dribbling hard once with his left hand and taking off running from the top of the key, finishing with his left hand.

Finishing a shot with your left hand (something Jaylen and Marcus always pointed out for years) is not the same thing as having natural ball handling skills and being able to dribble naturally with your left hand in traffic and make decisions on the fly.

Also, Jaylen’s never really been highly criticized for his one on one defense. It’s always the team help defensive that kills us against good teams. Team defense usually does not show up in the highlights.

It makes it less believable that he is a max player if the hype machine has to point out basic finishes that NBA players learn in high school. Every time he shoots with his left hand we will be reminded of his greatness.

Watching Miami play today I’m just reminded how plays like this will lead to easy turnovers in the playoffs. One simple hand wave and Jaylen almost loses the ball here on the right hand.

The key to Jaylen’s growth will be letting Jrue and White handle the ball. PERIOD.

I don’t want to see Jaylen trying this crap in the playoffs. Will it lead to a highlight less than 10 percent of the time? Yes. Is that what good coaches want? Yes!

Having trust issues with Jaylen’s ball handling skills does not make you a “hater”. Realistically if we really want what’s best for the team it’s best not to encourage JB to “prove” he can dribble. We have a sample size over many years.

AGAIN The key to Jaylen’s growth will be letting Jrue and White handle the ball. PERIOD.

I don’t trust that this will happen when it matters most. What I love about Jrue and White is that I have noticed so far this season, they play keep away from Brown and try not to pass it to him in compromising positions.

Limiting his chances to over dribble! TEAM GROWTH. But then JB gets frustrated and yells at players like Pritch because he does not like going long without touching the ball. I’ve noticed this several games this year.

I hope JB proves me wrong but I don’t trust he will default to team basketball against real competition.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#47 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:07 pm

This doesn't align with my More Offball JB agenda. What are these websites doing? I demand a recount.

Read on Twitter

But seriously, partial credit to KP. He and JB seem to have something going in PnR.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,706

Post#48 » by steefP2 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:35 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:This doesn't align with my More Offball JB agenda. What are these websites doing? I demand a recount.

Read on Twitter

But seriously, partial credit to KP. He and JB seem to have something going in PnR.

If it soothes you, Jaylen is currently 4th in touches on the team behind Tatum jrue and white while he was 2nd last year.

Was at 64 per game last year, now 50. Tatum has stayed stable at the low to mid 70’s
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#49 » by Floody100 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:36 am

It’s game like these that have you telling yourself replacing Brown with two smart role players would be so much better for this team.

I think Tatum’s game would thrive even more, Porzingis becomes the clear #2 which he should be & White becomes your clear #3 which he should be. Would also add much needed depth too.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,448

Post#50 » by BK_2020 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:43 pm

13 games in and Jaylen Brown has TS+ of 95, a steep decline from 100 or dead average last season. TS+ of 95 was what 31 year old Westbrook registered in Houston, although he was averaging 27 a game not 21.

Not only is he scoring worse than in 5 years and at a lower efficiency, he is doing nearly everything else worse as well. Now he did drop his TOV% to 11.2 but that's a minuscule 0.2 drop from last season. His AST% is 15.1, 1.4 percentage points lower than last season and lower than ever since he became a full-time starter. His rebounding has plummeted drastically to 7.9 RB% from 10.4 last season.

His shooting % breakdowns aren't super encouraging. He started off the season red hot from the three but it's cooled off to what is normal for him at 34%. What's really concerning is his FG% at the rim, currently at 64.8%, which isn't very good. To provide a reference, Tatum in his rookie season was 62% at the rim and 72% this season so far. Devin Booker is 100% at the rim for the season. Jaylen's also gotten blocked 14 times, more than once a game.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#51 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:48 pm

KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#52 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:57 pm

BK_2020 wrote:13 games in and Jaylen Brown has TS+ of 95, a steep decline from 100 or dead average last season. TS+ of 95 was what 31 year old Westbrook registered in Houston, although he was averaging 27 a game not 21.

Not only is he scoring worse than in 5 years and at a lower efficiency, he is doing nearly everything else worse as well. Now he did drop his TOV% to 11.2 but that's a minuscule 0.2 drop from last season. His AST% is 15.1, 1.4 percentage points lower than last season and lower than ever since he became a full-time starter. His rebounding has plummeted drastically to 7.9 RB% from 10.4 last season.

His shooting % breakdowns aren't super encouraging. He started off the season red hot from the three but it's cooled off to what is normal for him at 34%. What's really concerning is his FG% at the rim, currently at 64.8%, which isn't very good. To provide a reference, Tatum in his rookie season was 62% at the rim and 72% this season so far. Devin Booker is 100% at the rim for the season. Jaylen's also gotten blocked 14 times, more than once a game.

I’ve found your sports media personality spirit animal.

Read on Twitter
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#53 » by BK_2020 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:00 pm

Jaylen has been blocked as many times as he's dunked a basketball, but that's actually very good for him. With the exception of 2022-23 season, dunking was a rare occurrence for Jaylen Brown. He averages .61 dunks per game for his career.
ryan in Maine
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,769

Post#54 » by ryan in Maine » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:02 pm

We might have to jump JB.
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#55 » by BK_2020 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:18 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:13 games in and Jaylen Brown has TS+ of 95, a steep decline from 100 or dead average last season. TS+ of 95 was what 31 year old Westbrook registered in Houston, although he was averaging 27 a game not 21.

I’ve found your sports media personality spirit animal.

Read on Twitter

His 'at the rim' numbers are more accurate, putting Jaylen in the 28th percentile for the position. I am using BBref 0-3 feet from the basket as the barometer.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#56 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:20 pm

ryan in Maine wrote:We might have to jump JB.

I don’t think violence is the answer.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,999

Post#57 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:24 pm

He's an uber athlete who is a mediocre NBA player. Deal with it, and just hope that Derrick White doesn't take too many more personal days.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#58 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:50 pm

Yep, as the comment above says- Jaylen is a very slick athlete, not the best basketball player though. When you look at it from a fit standpoint, there may be worse players who are a better fit, however Brown is still a pretty good plaer, he just overdoes things at times and doesn't do what he's good at.
I hope that even if Brad's plan is to trade him, he has a good season. If he doesn't, even if the C's don't trade him, things are gonna go to **** very quickly with the CRAZY money that he'll be making the next 4 years.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#59 » by shackles10 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:30 pm

Plot twist: Celtics make it to the Finals, in many ways in spite of Jaylen, only for him to go nuclear in the Finals and win Finals MVP. Every brain on Celtics RealGM literally explodes either because they're mad he's being recognized with the award or because they're so over the top with their "I told you so"s. This place is a subsequent ghost town (due to body count) and a new set of fans begins the same arguments mid-August 2024 while Jaylen waters his plants.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#60 » by 165bows » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:41 pm

Yeah not playing well, by his own standard.

Hopeful in one way as the team has done very well despite him not playing to his typical bench mark. OTOH just hope it isn't indicative of a trend.

Return to Boston Celtics