ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown Thread, con't – (New Poll)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Who would you prefer on a Jaylen Brown-led Unit? (Post-Trade Deadline)

Holiday/White
30%
Porzingis/Horford
27%
Kornet
No votes
Tillman
10%
Hauser
10%
Pritchard
13%
Mykhailiuk
No votes
Brissett
No votes
Queta
3%
Walsh/Springer
7%

Total votes: 30

keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,106

Re: Jaylen Brown Thread, con't – (Poll is about JB-led Units) 

Post#61 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:12 pm

To be honest I'm not all that worried about Jaylen. A lot of his problems right now are a bunch of shots at the rim aren't going in. He's shooting 64.8% 0->3 feet and 41.3% 3->10 feet. Both of those would be his lower than any of his last three years. He's also getting a pretty rough whistle, his .22 FTr would be the lowest of his career. Jaylen's prove himself to be a very good to elite at rim finisher the past few years, so I'm pretty confident those numbers will bounce back. The rest of the shooting numbers are fine. He's taking slightly more threes at the expense of some mid rangers, but that's not a bad trade off.

If his at rim finishing is still bad 10 games from now maybe panic then.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,448

Post#62 » by BK_2020 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:17 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:To be honest I'm not all that worried about Jaylen. A lot of his problems right now are a bunch of shots at the rim aren't going in. He's shooting 64.8% 0->3 feet and 41.3% 3->10 feet. Both of those would be his lower than any of his last three years. He's also getting a pretty rough whistle, his .22 FTr would be the lowest of his career. Jaylen's prove himself to be a very good to elite at rim finisher the past few years, so I'm pretty confident those numbers will bounce back.

Or it's a sign that his athleticism is declining relative to the league and playing more time at the 3, he no longer has the size advantage.
keevsnick1
Veteran

Post#63 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:29 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:To be honest I'm not all that worried about Jaylen. A lot of his problems right now are a bunch of shots at the rim aren't going in. He's shooting 64.8% 0->3 feet and 41.3% 3->10 feet. Both of those would be his lower than any of his last three years. He's also getting a pretty rough whistle, his .22 FTr would be the lowest of his career. Jaylen's prove himself to be a very good to elite at rim finisher the past few years, so I'm pretty confident those numbers will bounce back.

Or it's a sign that his athleticism is declining relative to the league and playing more time at the 3, he no longer has the size advantage.

He's not really playing all that much more at the SF vs SG this year. Its shifted from 58% at SF last year to 64% this year. They had Smart, White, Pritchard and Brogdon all playing guard last year remember. I doubt he lost his athleticism at age 27, usually that's an early thirties type problem.

He did have the groin strain right before these last two games, and he was trending up prior to that. So maybe he's playing a little hurt.

But again, too small a sample. If he's still struggling at game 30 its an issue.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,857

Post#64 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:33 pm

He’s now shooting 34.5% on his last 1045 threes, considering he doesn’t take many pull-ups, it’s all his catch and shoot numbers cratering the last four years.

I think the finishing corrects somewhat, we know he’s a very good finisher. But the three ball? It’s fair to be concerned about, IMO. He also is getting to the line less than any season since 2018-19.

His efficiency has been dropping for years, it does seem to be a trend.
keevsnick1
Veteran

Post#65 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:54 pm

4 games before slipping on court in Toronto:

25.5 ppg on 53.5/41.9/76.5 splits with 17 assists to 11 to's.

2 Games since slipping:

12.5 ppg on 30.3/8.5!!/66.6 splits with 6 assists 4 to's.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#66 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:12 pm

Jaylen TS by game

43%
57%
70%
50%
45%
57%
40%
66%
68%
50%
75%
36%
35%

Four games way above league average, two right below league average, and seven horrid.

First 6 games: 55%
Last 7 games: 54%
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,716

Post#67 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:19 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:I've said it before but Jaylen is basically the MPJ of this team now. His role needs to be to score off-the-ball and not play braindead defense. MPJ's advanced stats are also bad, fwiw.

He can't be the reason this team doesn't win the title, because if he is, then he's gotta go. If Joe lets him handle the ball too much, this team won't win anything. The only time he should handle the ball is with pick and rolls with KP, because it's pretty impossible to fail with pick and rolls with Porzingis lol.

The way they used him against the Raptors in the second half was perfect...more of that.

My biggest concern besides health with this team is everybody staying in their lane come playoff time...they won last game in huge reason because Derrick White made everything, and he's going to need to do that when guys are out. Jaylen's role on this team definitely worries me, but it can work if he plays like MPJ did last year for Denver.

Gonna bump this again because this is really the only take we can have at this point.

We can bitch all we want but we're stuck with him this year and we have to try to make it work. There's a real chance it won't. But this is really the only way to look at it IMO

Also if he's hurt, he shouldn't be playing.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#68 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:28 pm

Man, that Comedian poster was saying all of this stuff years ago, and got yelled at constantly by the same people now saying the same things.

GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#69 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:53 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:Man, that Comedian poster was saying all of this stuff years ago, and got yelled at constantly by the same people now saying the same things.

We needed Jaylen to be more on-the-ball a little more last year because the team didn't have enough players that could consistently create their own shot efficiently enough next to Tatum. Also, even though Al shot the ball better from 3 last year, the team didn't have enough consistent outlets on pick-and-rolls to take pressure off the Jays in crunch-time situations.

Guys like Brogdon, Smart, Hauser, Grant, hell even Al were really streaky and so there was nobody on the team that we could consistently go to besides Tatum to take the pressure off JT in crunch time besides Jaylen. Derrick was the only consistent one really.

This year is totally different. Porzingis is one of the best bigs in the league and isn't used enough in crunch time. Honestly, while Tatum is having a way better season than Jaylen, he's been extremely guilty of this in the past few games: Joe calls for a Tatum-KP pick and roll. Tatum waves off KP for no reason for an ISO that leads to a bad shot. He did this vs. Toronto and Memphis.

Jaylen, to his credit, had actually been very willing to run pick and rolls with KP and get him the ball sometimes in these spots, which is why last night it was so **** inexplicable that he took that **** shot
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,781

Post#70 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:02 pm

Saw it on Twitter, from CTG:

PSA - Points per Shot Attempt
Ast:Usg - Assist:Usage Ratio

Summary: Has the usage almost equal to our #1, inefficient scorer, doesn't dish as much as he should relative to his usage.

You at least hope those blues turn into beiges at some point. Holiday in Smart territory efficiency-wise. Not shown: Jrue is elite on the other side of the court. DWhite is a god-send.
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 39,046

Post#71 » by PierceFan4ever » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:29 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Saw it on Twitter, from CTG:

Summary: Has the usage almost equal to our #1, inefficient scorer, doesn't dish as much as he should relative to his usage.

You at least hope those blues turn into beiges at some point. Holiday in Smart territory efficiency-wise. Not shown: Jrue is elite on the other side of the court. DWhite is a god-send.

Jaylen’s usage is a problem, it should near where Derrick white is currently at not anywhere near Tatum especially with the way he’s playing and his limited impact on the court
GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#72 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:32 pm

PierceFan4ever wrote:

Jaylen’s usage is a problem, it should near where Derrick white is currently at not anywhere near Tatum especially with the way he’s playing and his limited impact on the court

Porzingis' needs to be way higher too
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#73 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:40 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:

Porzingis' needs to be way higher too

I’d be fine with KP at 23-24 tbh, so just a bit of a bump. I think it helps keep him healthier, and he’s at his best as a play finisher. He’s already posting up a ton, and I’d rather not see him banging around even more lol.

My ideal usage for the best of the team.

Tatum 31%, scaled back a fair amount from last year.
Jaylen 25%
KP 24%
White 21%
Jrue 21%
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#74 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:52 pm

Celtics Record Since 2019-20:
Jaylen, when taking <20 FGAs: 106-43 (71.1%)
Jaylen, when taking 20+ FGAs: 61-51 (54.5%)

With more scoring options, there's even less reason for him to take so many shots. Unless he's on one of those quarter heaters. Encourage him to contribute in other ways (rebounding, passing, defense, hustle, offball screening, move the ball, etc.). A change in role (and a change of shot diet/selection) compared to years past is warranted esp since he's never really been an efficient scorer if goal is for team to reach its peak potential on offense.

(For the curious, JT's splits are pretty much even -- 65.2% vs. 65.4%).
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#75 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:44 pm

From renowned Jaylen Brown hater Zach Lowe on his latest podcast episode:

"Unfortunately for the Celtics, the five bad (possessions) centered around one player, who if I'm setting off alarm bells about the Celtics championship viability (and btw I picked the Celtics to win the championship and I feel good about that pick),... Okay, Celtics, 14 possessions -- 9 good, 5 bad -- the alarm bells are this: the 5 bad, 4 of them centered around the player who is right now maybe the most intriguing player in the league as sort of the swing factor for a great team. And that's Jaylen Brown, who I just don't think is playing very well. (mentions his stats) His handle somehow looks worse. Like every time he dribbles now, I'm nervous that something bad is gonna happen. (goes through the 5 bad possessions)...

My point is this -- I'm worried about how Jaylen Brown started the season. It's hard to notice because the Celtics are 11-3 and he's averaging 21 a game and he's an incredible shotmaker when he's rolling. He's one of the best transition players in the league and he's the master of this sort of like semi-transition backdoor cut on the baseline. I trust him in transition. Everything else is so forced right now. His shot selection is awful at times during this stretch. So many difficult shots. Hero shots. You don't need to be the hero in the second quarter of a game we're up by 12. Just play. And as I watch Boston, other than health and we know they are thin although Payton Pritchard perked up last night... Celtics can make a trade for a 7th guy to fortify their team if they feel the need to. So other than health which is a concern for every team, Jaylen Brown is like, I'm just watching him very closely because if he can't recalibrate his game and his shot selection the right way and it's off-kilter like this, there are going to be playoff games in the muck of crunch time where he undoes the Celtics offense and the Celtics offense undoes itself late in these games. As great as they are, their margin for error in the playoffs is pretty thin. "
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Post#76 » by playa-hater » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:14 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:From renowned Jaylen Brown hater Zach Lowe on his latest podcast episode:

"Unfortunately for the Celtics, the five bad (possessions) centered around one player, who if I'm setting off alarm bells about the Celtics championship viability (and btw I picked the Celtics to win the championship and I feel good about that pick),... Okay, Celtics, 14 possessions -- 9 good, 5 bad -- the alarm bells are this: the 5 bad, 4 of them centered around the player who is right now maybe the most intriguing player in the league as sort of the swing factor for a great team. And that's Jaylen Brown, who I just don't think is playing very well. (mentions his stats) His handle somehow looks worse. Like every time he dribbles now, I'm nervous that something bad is gonna happen. (goes through the 5 bad possessions)...

My point is this -- I'm worried about how Jaylen Brown started the season. It's hard to notice because the Celtics are 11-3 and he's averaging 21 a game and he's an incredible shotmaker when he's rolling. He's one of the best transition players in the league and he's the master of this sort of like semi-transition backdoor cut on the baseline. I trust him in transition. Everything else is so forced right now. His shot selection is awful at times during this stretch. So many difficult shots. Hero shots. You don't need to be the hero in the second quarter of a game we're up by 12. Just play. And as I watch Boston, other than health and we know they are thin although Payton Pritchard perked up last night... Celtics can make a trade for a 7th guy to fortify their team if they feel the need to. So other than health which is a concern for every team, Jaylen Brown is like, I'm just watching him very closely because if he can't recalibrate his game and his shot selection the right way and it's off-kilter like this, there are going to be playoff games in the muck of crunch time where he undoes the Celtics offense and the Celtics offense undoes itself late in these games. As great as they are, their margin for error in the playoffs is pretty thin. "

It seems like everything said was dead on... why is that considered hating??
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#77 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:21 pm

playa-hater wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:From renowned Jaylen Brown hater Zach Lowe on his latest podcast episode:

It seems like everything said was dead on... why is that considered hating??

Oh, it was sarcasm.

Just wanted to share how an unbiased, knowledgeable non-fan sees the Celtics and Jaylen as a player.
Bleedsgreen
Pro Prospect
And1: 351

Post#78 » by Bleedsgreen » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:07 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Just wanted to share how an unbiased, knowledgeable non-fan sees the Celtics and Jaylen as a player.

Not sure that is quite true. He did grow up in the area and was on Celticshub.
"Kyrie will 100% win this standoff btw." A Comedian
Bleedsgreen
Pro Prospect
And1: 351

Post#79 » by Bleedsgreen » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:17 am

KillahGhostface wrote:Man, that Comedian poster was saying all of this stuff years ago, and got yelled at constantly by the same people now saying the same things.

Odd you must have been lurking for a long time to know that with joining in October of 2023 and all and recognizing names who would yell at one prolific spewer of garbage.
"Kyrie will 100% win this standoff btw." A Comedian
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#80 » by KillahGhostface » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:33 am

Bleedsgreen wrote:

Odd you must have been lurking for a long time to know that with joining in October of 2023 and all and recognizing names who would yell at one prolific spewer of garbage.

Obsession is unhealthy, my friend.

Return to Boston Celtics