ImageImageImage

Celtics bench stats

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,484

Celtics bench stats 

Post#1 » by Gant » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:36 pm

The Celtics bench started slowly this season. Brogdan, the mainstay scorer was gone. White moved into the starting line up. Horford and Hauser found themselves adapting to new roles. Pritchard joined the regular rotation.

The bench stats at this moment:

Last in scoring.

but...

3rd in Net Rating.
2nd in TS%.
2nd in 3P%.
4th in Rebound%.
4th in PIE (Player Impact Estimate aka PIE, is a metric to gauge a player's all-around contribution to the game.)

They take the fewest FGA of any bench in the league, probably because they are second lowest in minutes and have five scorers as starters. Basically they're low volume but efficient, and contribute to winning.

It seems like they're just hitting their stride now, with Hauser and Pritchard gradually getting more aggressive and Horford concentrating on his strengths. The deep bench has also contributed lately.

(A graphic put up on last night's broadcast led to this post.)
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,005

Re: Celtics bench stats 

Post#2 » by sam_I_am » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:05 pm

Gant wrote:The Celtics bench started slowly this season. Brogdan, the mainstay scorer was gone. White moved into the starting line up. Horford and Hauser found themselves adapting to new roles. Pritchard joined the regular rotation.

Last in scoring.

but...

3rd in Net Rating.
2nd in TS%.
2nd in 3P%.
4th in Rebound%.
4th in PIE (Player Impact Estimate aka PIE, is a metric to gauge a player's all-around contribution to the game.)

They take the fewest FGA of any bench in the league, probably because they are second lowest in minutes and have five scorers as starters. Basically they're low volume but efficient, and contribute to winning.

It seems like they're just hitting their stride now, with Hauser and Pritchard gradually getting more aggressive and Horford concentrating on his strengths. The deep bench has also contributed lately.

Great summary.

Our bench scoring is deceptive because there is always 2-3 top level scorers on the court with them. The way this team is constructed is that one of 4 starters will become the ‘sixth man’ when playing with the bench.

What your numbers show is that our bench players step in and eat up minutes without a drop off in overall team play. When Pritchard comes in for Holiday for example, the other 4 starters are still lighting it up without missing a beat.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#3 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:18 pm

"Our bench sucks." It's a misinformed, reductive tale as old as time.

Like Scal said, scoring isn't everything.

2022-23: Top 3 in both TS% and net rating
2021-22: Top 2 in defense and top 4 in net rating
2020-21: Trash season all-around (Danny's final season)
2019-20: Top 3 defense, top 5 rebounding, and top 6 in net rating
2018-19: Top 4 net rating and top 4 TS%

Almost every season, they've contributed/impacted winning enough. Our main scorers (those who get the volume of the shots/touches) just happened to be with the starters. They do their roles well without taking away shots from the stars.

The bench won't be the difference between winning a banner or not. Our top 6 guys are gonna eat 90% of the minutes in the playoffs.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,524

Post#4 » by Parliament10 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:19 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Gant wrote:The Celtics bench started slowly this season. Brogdan, the mainstay scorer was gone. White moved into the starting line up. Horford and Hauser found themselves adapting to new roles. Pritchard joined the regular rotation.

Last in scoring.

but...

3rd in Net Rating.
2nd in TS%.
2nd in 3P%.
4th in Rebound%.

Great summary.

Our bench scoring is deceptive because there is always 2-3 top level scorers on the court with them. The way this team is constructed is that one of 4 starters will become the ‘sixth man’ when playing with the bench.

What your numbers show is that our bench players step in and eat up minutes without a drop off in overall team play. When Pritchard comes in for Holiday for example, the other 4 starters are still lighting it up without missing a beat.

I like that some of the 6 Starters, are Intertwined with the 2nd Unit.
Though, I'd like to see another Bench Player get regular minutes. Namely, Queta.

Knowing that it's a long season, we need to start preserving some of our Starters, for the Playoffs.
And, I think that some of the Mid-Bench (if I can say that) need to start eating up minutes.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,005

Post#5 » by sam_I_am » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:28 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

Last in scoring.

but...

3rd in Net Rating.
2nd in TS%.
2nd in 3P%.
4th in Rebound%.

Great summary.

I like that some of the 6 Starters, are Intertwined with the 2nd Unit.
Though, I'd like to see another Bench Player get regular minutes. Namely, Queta.

Knowing that it's a long season, we need to start preserving some of our Starters, for the Playoffs.
And, I think that some of the Mid-Bench (if I can say that) need to start eating up minutes.

Agreed. I would like to think that first Orlando game on back to back showed they could. You put any bench player in starting lineup and their weaknesses are easily hidden. I think the priority so far has been building the necessary chemistry with the playoff rotation because it’s a new lineup but that should change as season goes on.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#6 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:20 am

After the OKC loss to the Clippers, the Celtics now have the "top bench" in the NBA, with the #1 net rating of 3.8. Last season, the Celtics bench had the 2nd best net rating in the league.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,945

Post#7 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:37 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:After the OKC loss to the Clippers, the Celtics now have the "top bench" in the NBA, with the #1 net rating of 3.8. Last season, the Celtics bench had the 2nd best net rating in the league.

Brad really needs to win EotY.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,877

Post#8 » by Jammer » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:17 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:After the OKC loss to the Clippers, the Celtics now have the "top bench" in the NBA, with the #1 net rating of 3.8. Last season, the Celtics bench had the 2nd best net rating in the league.

Brad really needs to win EotY.

Agreed. But the voting is skewed to change in wins.

For example, Ainge should have been the the Clear EotY Winner in 2022-2023 (last season) for the Mitchell, Gobert, Bogdanovic, Beverly and yes Conley trades. Should not have been close. But the dufus' gave it to Monte McNair of the Sacramento Kings.

No wonder half the league is muddled in mediocrity.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,212

Post#9 » by 31to6 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:20 pm

NeEd A BeNCh sCoReR hOW aBoUt BrInG baCK IT?? :onfire:
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,305

Post#10 » by djFan71 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:59 pm

31to6 wrote:

NeEd A BeNCh sCoReR hOW aBoUt BrInG baCK IT?? :onfire:

I still wouldn't mind one, lol. Non-IT variety, of course.

The bench is solid for sure. They're great complements to the starters. Their net rating is pumped up by playing with starters, primarily Tatum, but that'll even be more true during the playoffs, so that's fine.

But, we don't really have an energy changer/microwave scorer to help when the starters are slogging. I know PP/Hauser/Kornet can all have scoring games and Brissett brings energy galore, but nobody's really turning things around on their own coming off the bench. It's not super-realistics to expect to be able to get a guy like that given how top-heavy our salaries are, and our starters score enough that it's rarely an issue - but it can't stop us from wanting one.

Like CG has said, we are going to live and die by our top 6 and the bench isn't really going to change that - for better or worse. Luckily the top 6 is elite.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#11 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:55 am

Updating...
Gant wrote:
Last in scoring.

but...

3rd in Net Rating.
2nd in TS%.
2nd in 3P%.
4th in Rebound%.

1st in Net Rating
2nd in TS%
2nd in 3P%
2nd in Rebound%
1st in PIE

3rd in A/TO ratio
5th in FG%

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics