ImageImageImage

Game Thread – Pacers @ Celtics – 7:30PM, Tues, Jan. 30, 2024

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,921

Game Thread – Pacers @ Celtics – 7:30PM, Tues, Jan. 30, 2024 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:21 pm

___________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________

Previously, With The BOSTON CELTICS . . .

Regular Season, Victory Count, 2023-24

Victory Cigar

(11) Jayson Tatum
(10) Jaylen Brown
(7) Kristaps Porziņģis
(4) Derrick White
(2) Jrue Holiday
(1) Al Horford
(1) Payton Pritchard

Ties go to the Team. – Cut-off Time, is when the next Game Thread is made.

(8) Jaylen Brown
(8) Derrick White
(7) Jayson Tatum
(5) Kristaps Porziņģis
(2) Al Horford
(2) Neemis Queta
(1) Jrue Holiday
(1) Sam Hauser
(1) TEAM
(1) Luke Kornet

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,841

Re: Game Thread – Pacers @ Celtics – 7:30PM, Tues, Jan. 30, 2024 

Post#2 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:30 pm

QUESTIONABLE: Haliburton, Jalen Smith, Myles Turner, Mathurin
OUT: Horford

Dunno who else is for the Cs.

Pacers have an opportunity to clinch first regular season series win against the Celtics this season. Coming off B2B, our transition D has to be on point. Indy will run, run, run. Can't let them dictate the pace. Limit TOs and no dumb shots.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,507

Post#3 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:37 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:QUESTIONABLE: Haliburton, Jalen Smith, Myles Turner, Mathurin

Pacers have an opportunity to clinch first regular season series win against the Celtics this season. Coming off B2B, our transition D has to be on point. Indy will run, run, run. Can't let them dictate the pace. Limit TOs and no dumb shots.

Actually this is good because the Celtics offense usually isn't the best when they don't play with pace. Just look at last night.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,858

Post#4 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:45 pm

The pace thing is funny to me. People always think it means playing fast and getting out in transition a bunch. Nah, last night for example, the Celtics played WAY faster in the first half, their pace was 102 in the first half, 92 in the second. Playing with pace is more about how you run your sets. It’s why I laughed when Scal said the Celtics had to play faster in the 4th quarter if they wanted to win. I’ll just steal my post from the GT, sometime in the third quarter.

KillahGhostface wrote:Celtics going methodical on offense, and it’s also helping slow NO down.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,507

Post#5 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:49 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:The pace thing is funny to me. People always think it means playing fast and getting out in transition a bunch. Nah, last night for example, the Celtics played WAY faster in the first half, their pace was 102 in the first half, 92 in the second. Playing with pace is more about how you run your sets. It’s why I laughed when Scal said the Celtics had to play faster in the 4th quarter if they wanted to win. I’ll just steal my post from the GT, sometime in the third quarter.

KillahGhostface wrote:Celtics going methodical on offense, and it’s also helping slow NO down.

I think there is a fine line. Sometimes they go too slow and it takes them forever to get into anything and end up with a terrible shot. I do agree that the last two games a lot of it came down to just missing good shots.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#6 » by BK_2020 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:30 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:The pace thing is funny to me. People always think it means playing fast and getting out in transition a bunch. Nah, last night for example, the Celtics played WAY faster in the first half, their pace was 102 in the first half, 92 in the second. Playing with pace is more about how you run your sets. It’s why I laughed when Scal said the Celtics had to play faster in the 4th quarter if they wanted to win. I’ll just steal my post from the GT, sometime in the third quarter.

Pace is the new meme for the season. Playing fast = winz. I think last season it was paint touches. Basically media telling people/convincing itself there's a simple way to win a bunch more games that some teams are not doing because of laziness or something.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#7 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:35 pm

BK_2020 wrote:

Pace is the new meme for the season. Playing fast = winz. I think last season it was paint touches. Basically media telling people/convincing itself there's a simple way to win a bunch more games that some teams are not doing because of laziness or something.

It feels like a lazy talking point, tbh.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#8 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:19 pm

When I mention pace, I don't talk about the stat. Against certain competition, I really want them to play with more pep and not just stand around. Or not walk the ball up, start the offense with 12-14 secs left. I want them to run when they can, make or miss. Especially when their shot isn't falling. Get something easy. See a basket go in. Maybe get to the line.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#9 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:20 pm

I'm guessing No Al but maybe KP??

Kornet?

Either way I hope a lot more of Brissett.. Especially with this type of matchup.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#10 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:26 pm

I don't want them to play just one way (fast or slow). Having the ability to play any number of ways against any type of competition will help them in the long run. Playing slow and stagnant against tall, lengthy opponents will lead to harder looks (DEN, LAC, MIN). I don't see anything wrong with lead passes and hit-aheads when they're there. Look for secondary break opportunities. Have more cutting and movement in the halfcourt so the defense sweats even a little.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#11 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:30 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:QUESTIONABLE: Haliburton, Jalen Smith, Myles Turner, Mathurin

Actually this is good because the Celtics offense usually isn't the best when they don't play with pace. Just look at last night.

I don't mind playing slow and methodical against a team like the Pacers where there are several mismatches to exploit. Against smart, lengthy, and/or physical teams like the Wolves or Clippers or Nuggets? Not so much.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#12 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:35 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

When I mention pace, I don't talk about the stat. I really want them to play with more pep and not just stand around. Or not walk the ball up, start the offense with 12-14 secs left. I want them to run when they can, make or miss. Especially when their shot isn't falling. Get something easy. See a basket go in. Maybe get to the line.

It just depends to me, the opponent, time of the game, how they’re defending Tatum, etc. you can’t half ass through sets, everything needs to be decisive.

Like Steef said to me, a lot of people just say pace when they mean tempo.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#13 » by BK_2020 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:42 pm

I can't imagine the pace stat doesn't also translate (by proxy) to a measure of how quickly a team gets into a set. If a team consistently gets into a set quicker for 100+ times a game, it'll have a high pace stat unless they have outlier-level low transition attempts per game.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#14 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:45 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

When I mention pace, I don't talk about the stat. I really want them to play with more pep and not just stand around. Or not walk the ball up, start the offense with 12-14 secs left. I want them to run when they can, make or miss. Especially when their shot isn't falling. Get something easy. See a basket go in. Maybe get to the line.

It just depends to me, the opponent, time of the game, how they’re defending Tatum, etc. you can’t half ass through sets, everything needs to be decisive.

Well, that's where I'm at too. I'm not saying we turn into the Pacers.

My bad, gonna use tempo from now on.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#15 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:46 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
KillahGhostface wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:When I mention pace, I don't talk about the stat. I really want them to play with more pep and not just stand around. Or not walk the ball up, start the offense with 12-14 secs left. I want them to run when they can, make or miss. Especially when their shot isn't falling. Get something easy. See a basket go in. Maybe get to the line.

Well, that's where I'm at too. I'm not saying we turn into the Pacers.

My bad, gonna use tempo from now on.

I wasn’t talking about you, dingus. I mean the dumb dumbs.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,921

Post#16 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:55 pm

Semantics.
Tempo and Pace are virtually the same thing.

Tempo also known as beats per minute, is the speed or pace of a given composition.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,691

Post#17 » by shackles10 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:56 pm

IMO pace and tempo are the same in conversation, except there is a pace stat and not a tempo stat. So I guess I'm with Zoya in that I mean the same thing, but probably should consider the stat exists (even if I don't care about it) and should use the tempo wording instead. Or I'll just troll and use the word pace even more no matter what I mean to keep this place so pleasant.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#18 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:01 pm

Riverwalk2021
Sixth Man
And1: 1,918

Post#19 » by Riverwalk2021 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:16 pm

Porzingis needs to suck it up and play. We owe these punks.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#20 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:17 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

When I mention pace, I don't talk about the stat. Against certain competition, I really want them to play with more pep and not just stand around. Or not walk the ball up, start the offense with 12-14 secs left. I want them to run when they can, make or miss. Especially when their shot isn't falling. Get something easy. See a basket go in. Maybe get to the line.

Tell me the keywords in your reply was not to stand around.. If that means more pace than that's what I want as well.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS

Return to Boston Celtics