ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Xavier Tillman!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Re: Welcome to Boston, Xavier Tillman! 

Post#81 » by Hal14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:52 am

SLCceltic wrote:When does Grant TPE expire ?? Hard to believe Brad lets it go, but XT and maybe one more buyout guy is all we really need

It expires tomorrow at 3pm..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#82 » by Hal14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:57 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:One not so small thing about the acquisition of this player. Brad has talked this year and in the past about not just adding talent but the RIGHT kind of person to this lockerroom. Tillman is married with 2 kids. He adds to a lockerroom with a lot of "family men". Jrue is married with 2 kids. Derrick is as well Al also. Tatum isn't married but his family including both parents and his son is a big part of everything he does. I believe KP is engaged. Sam got married last offseason. Even Brissett has a longtime girlfriend. I think JB and Pritchard may be the only guys in our regular rotation who are either married nor have kids and may not be connected to anyone (correct me if I'm wrong).

Point is, I don't think it's coincidence that Brad keeps acquiring guys like this. Hoopers who love to ball and then go home to their families. Not to say that if you're not married or have kids you're distracted but there's a very big family dynamic on our roster.

Yeah, it's a fair point. It might not be completely true about every player but in general the players who are family men are probably more mature, more team-oriented, more unselfish, etc.

And FWIW, I believe Brissett got engaged a few months ago.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,029

Post#83 » by KamikazeK » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:06 am

Hal14 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:One not so small thing about the acquisition of this player. Brad has talked this year and in the past about not just adding talent but the RIGHT kind of person to this lockerroom. Tillman is married with 2 kids. He adds to a lockerroom with a lot of "family men". Jrue is married with 2 kids. Derrick is as well Al also. Tatum isn't married but his family including both parents and his son is a big part of everything he does. I believe KP is engaged. Sam got married last offseason. Even Brissett has a longtime girlfriend. I think JB and Pritchard may be the only guys in our regular rotation who are either married nor have kids and may not be connected to anyone (correct me if I'm wrong).

Point is, I don't think it's coincidence that Brad keeps acquiring guys like this. Hoopers who love to ball and then go home to their families. Not to say that if you're not married or have kids you're distracted but there's a very big family dynamic on our roster.

the family men are probably more mature, more team-oriented, less selfish, less focused on themselves and their own stats, their own personal glory..less likely to be a loose cannon, screws loose, locker room cancer type..

Damn that's some vitriol against childless people. Yikes.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 92,052

Post#84 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:22 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,326

Post#85 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:43 am

Second apron teams aren't going to have the mid level going forward so I think we'll start seeing a lot more of those types of deals where those franchises acquire a cheap rotation player just before free agency so they can get resign him using Bird rights and avoid being limited to min guys in the summer to maintain their depth. Brad Stevens ahead of the curve again.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,680

Post#86 » by Triple7 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:54 am

6’8 lol. Good luck with that haha!
Triple7
RealGM

Post#87 » by Triple7 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:56 am

Jammer wrote:Let's face folks, Xavier Tillman is trash. Why waste two 2nd Round Picks on trash?

34 Games
41.9% Free Throw %
22.6% 3 Point %
46.9% 2 Point %
0.958 Points Per Shot (must blow some dunks). Championship Teams, at the TEAM LEVEL, typically average over 1.3 Points Per Shot.

On the bright side, in 20.6 mpg he averages

4.6 Rebounds
1.7 Assists
1.2 Steals
1 Block
0.9 Turnovers
1.8 Fouls

So, perhaps offers some defense. LIsted at 6' 7" and 25 years old.

I agree with this. Total waste of picks. Would have been better giving queta the extra mins.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,548

Post#88 » by snowman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:57 am

Can he be our next Giannis stopper? First there was Semi, then Grant and now Tillman. Tillman is the biggest of the three, so high hopes for him. I have no reason to think he will provide anything on the offensive side except rebounds and put backs, so whatever we get there is a bonus. However, very high hopes for the defensive side for him.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,877

Post#89 » by Jammer » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:51 am

Triple7 wrote:
Jammer wrote:Let's face folks, Xavier Tillman is trash. Why waste two 2nd Round Picks on trash?

34 Games
41.9% Free Throw %
22.6% 3 Point %
46.9% 2 Point %
0.958 Points Per Shot (must blow some dunks). Championship Teams, at the TEAM LEVEL, typically average over 1.3 Points Per Shot.

4.6 Rebounds
1.7 Assists
1.2 Steals
1 Block
0.9 Turnovers
1.8 Fouls

I agree with this. Total waste of picks. Would have been better giving Queta the extra mins.

Yeah, for a second I thought Brad was re-compensating Memphis for taking on Marcus Smart in the Porzingis deal, but with Smart missing a lot of time due to various new injuries. Preposterous I know, but the thought crossed my mind.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,247

Post#90 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:00 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:This puts my Harden dream to sleep :cry:

My dislike for Harden is strong. If he ever becomes a Celtic, I'll consider becoming a Lakers fan.

:wavefinger:

Not even as a joke...
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#91 » by Parasite » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:52 am

As long as KP and Al stay healthy, a big man rotation of those two plus Kornet and Tillman is pretty darn good I think. Tillman is a bulldog on defense and in short spurts can give guys like Giannis fits.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,966

Post#92 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:13 am

Jammer wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

34 Games
41.9% Free Throw %
22.6% 3 Point %
46.9% 2 Point %

4.6 Rebounds
1.7 Assists
1.2 Steals
1 Block
0.9 Turnovers
1.8 Fouls

I agree with this. Total waste of picks. Would have been better giving Queta the extra mins.

Yeah, for a second I thought Brad was re-compensating Memphis for taking on Marcus Smart in the Porzingis deal, but with Smart missing a lot of time to due to various new injuries. Preposterous I know, but the thought crossed my mind.

Do we have any theories at to why he's having such a down shooting year? The FT% suggests it has something to do with him directly, rather than his ragtag collection of available teammates.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#93 » by Fierce1 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:24 am

Parasite wrote:As long as KP and Al stay healthy, a big man rotation of those two plus Kornet and Tillman is pretty darn good I think. Tillman is a bulldog on defense and in short spurts can give guys like Giannis fits.

Giannis faces Al then Tillman and KP is waiting at the rim.

Excellent move by Brad.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,125

Post#94 » by RickyDizzle » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:07 am

Triple7 wrote:

34 Games
41.9% Free Throw %
22.6% 3 Point %
46.9% 2 Point %

4.6 Rebounds
1.7 Assists
1.2 Steals
1 Block
0.9 Turnovers
1.8 Fouls

I agree with this. Total waste of picks. Would have been better giving queta the extra mins.

He's a plus defender big time and an energy guy. On offense, his best attribute is his passing. On a team with a ton of talented players around him. He may really thrive as an energy guy, defender, and ball mover.

https://youtu.be/MGVwmtHc-vg?si=oCpQO6ph7zvIiVv8

Yes it's a highlight video, but he makes a few passes that none of our bigs can make (maybe Al?)
Triple7
RealGM

Post#95 » by Triple7 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:31 am

RickyDizzle wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

34 Games
41.9% Free Throw %
22.6% 3 Point %
46.9% 2 Point %

4.6 Rebounds
1.7 Assists
1.2 Steals
1 Block
0.9 Turnovers
1.8 Fouls

He's a plus defender big time and an energy guy. On offense, his best attribute is his passing. On a team with a ton of talented players around him. He may really thrive as an energy guy, defender, and ball mover.

https://youtu.be/MGVwmtHc-vg?si=oCpQO6ph7zvIiVv8

Yes it's a highlight video, but he makes a few passes that none of our bigs can make (maybe Al?)

A player that can’t shoot, ain’t big, and not a lob threat would be a liablity on this team. Teams would just give him wide open shots all the time, daring him to shoot. Also, who cares about his passing skills. Its not like we want him to handle the ball or something. If we won’t get a legit big, then we might as well should have gotten a shooting threat like a lonnie walker or alec burks to bolster our bench. Anyways, it is what it is. Hoping this guy can contribute something on defense.

Edit. Ok having watched some of his highlights, there can be potential with this guy. He doesn’t look athletic or fast enough, but he can somehow bang with bigs. Lets see. Hoping it works out.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#96 » by ParticleMan » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:12 am

Great move!

This is the guy who will back up Al. He brings the same qualities on the defensive end. Al was getting a bit overplayed with KP even Kornet missing time. Love me some Queta but he is like rookie Timelord, for every great play he makes 2 head-scratchers, you can't count on him against good teams. Tillman is a guy you can throw in there and play consistent D at a high level, rebound and block shots. He doesn't need to score at all except on layups, and his % is pretty good there. And he's 25, if he works on his 3 ball he could be a steal. I'd love to sign him on a Hauser-like extension, but 3/10 is more realistic.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#97 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:27 am

Huge, if true. Sorry, if posted already. From a Nuggets beat writer:
Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#98 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:37 am

Height and heft aren't everything when it comes to defense from a big.

X-Man: height 2.01 m, wingspan 7'3", 245 lbs.
Draymond: height 1.98 m, wingspan 7'1", 230 lbs.

Mobility/agility, positioning, BBIQ, effort/give-a-feck factor, etc.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#99 » by Fierce1 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:41 am

Guys wondering about what Tillman can do, find videos of the 1st round series between the Lakers and Grizzlies last season.

Tillman did a good job defending AD.

Brad didn't get X-Till for his shooting and being a lob threat, Brad got him because the Celtics needed a big body who can provide an inside presence.

Basically Brad got something that the Celtics lacked.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#100 » by Fierce1 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:43 am

Definitely the chances of the Celtics winning a championship increased a little with this addition.

Return to Boston Celtics