ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jaden Springer!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,524

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jaden Springer! 

Post#81 » by Parliament10 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:49 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:….which is what they did. So what are you complaining about?

Tone it down.
Your posts have been getting more hostile.

~ Parl

There is zero hostility in that post.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to discuss it.
Otherwise, follow the directions, and tone it down.

~ Parl
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,137

Post#82 » by Dogen » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:35 pm

Hey you! Can we come together?
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,858

Post#83 » by KillahGhostface » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:39 pm

Come on lol
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#84 » by Hal14 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Springer's last 6 games for Philly, the 5 seed in the East:

20 MPG, 8 PPG, 4 RPG, 2 APG, 2 SPG.

He started for Philly in his last game with them - the game he shut down Steph Curry.

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,668

Post#85 » by Homerclease » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:58 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Tone it down.
Your posts have been getting more hostile.

~ Parl

There is zero hostility in that post.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to discuss it.
Otherwise, follow the directions, and tone it down.

~ Parl

You should’ve PM’d me first instead of inferring tone through text. There is nothing wrong with my post, and therefore nothing to tone down
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,484

Post#86 » by Gant » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:20 pm

Hal14 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
Gant wrote:
Read on Twitter

This gives me a ton more confidence in the move.

The biggest thing that puts me off on Springer is just the fact that he hasn't made enough of a jump to the NBA level, but if we've got multiple guys who've worked with him in Philly and vouch for him as a guy who could be a late bloomer, then I'm on board.

He certainly could be a late bloomer. Although it's his 3rd season in the league, he was was only 18 when he was drafted.

He's still just 21. We gave up on Nesmith and traded him when he was 22 - look how that turned out. Nesmith went to Indy and is balling out.

Yeah, Nesmith has become a very good player and will keep getting better. Trading for Brogdon was the right move at the time, but it would be more than a little nice to have Nesmith here.

They also traded Langford who was in the same position developmentally. One bloomed, the other wilted. As you say, maybe Springer will surprise and make up for Nesmith.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,945

Post#87 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:37 pm

Coincidentally, Springer has been an 81.0% FT shooter for both his NBA and college careers.

His G-League FT shooting hasn't been as good, but also not horrid:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/s/sprinja01d.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sprinja01.html
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#88 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:47 pm

cl2117 wrote:
76ciology wrote:I come in peace.

Suggs plays like a point guard
Springer plays like a power forward

Springer is good value for a second rounder

So would you say a Marcus Smart comparison is apt?

It's been really interesting to see the pretty wide spectrum of opinion from 76ers fans on trading him. Seems like it swings from shock he had any value to major disappointment you didn't keep developing him.

I have a high level of respect for Marcus Smart, especially considering how many times the Celtics have defeated my team in the playoffs. I believe Smart possesses the IQ and passing ability of a star-caliber guard, in addition to being an elite defensive player. One notable similarity between Smart and Springer is their inability to create on offense. However, Smart has developed into a decent 3-point shooter over time, and there's potential for Springer to follow suit in the future, though ultimately it's up to fate.

A closer comparison for me would be Avery Bradley on offense, with both players excelling as lockdown defenders. However, I believe Springer is a better team defender, able to roam for steals and blocks.

It's important to note that my assessment is based on what I've observed from Springer so far.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#89 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:49 pm

So basically the Cs traded Grant for Springer, and even picked up a bit of draft capital:

-- 2030 SRP from Dallas. (Already gone as part of the Tillman trade.)
-- 2025 SRP swap with Dallas.
-- Implicit 2024 SRP swap -- the incoming one was from San Antonio, and is likely to be better than the one that went out for Springer.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,068

Post#90 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:19 pm

76ciology wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
76ciology wrote:I come in peace.

Suggs plays like a point guard
Springer plays like a power forward

Springer is good value for a second rounder

So would you say a Marcus Smart comparison is apt?

It's been really interesting to see the pretty wide spectrum of opinion from 76ers fans on trading him. Seems like it swings from shock he had any value to major disappointment you didn't keep developing him.

I have a high level of respect for Marcus Smart, especially considering how many times the Celtics have defeated my team in the playoffs. I believe Smart possesses the IQ and passing ability of a star-caliber guard, in addition to being an elite defensive player. One notable similarity between Smart and Springer is their inability to create on offense. However, Smart has developed into a decent 3-point shooter over time, and there's potential for Springer to follow suit in the future, though ultimately it's up to fate.

A closer comparison for me would be Avery Bradley on offense, with both players excelling as lockdown defenders. However, I believe Springer is a better team defender, able to roam for steals and blocks.

It's important to note that my assessment is based on what I've observed from Springer so far.

I don't see the Bradley. He really was a mid to long two point shooter. We ran plays for him to get 14 ft jumpers which we know is terrible. He really did little driving and finishing at the rim. Was great on defense and the same size though.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,818

Post#91 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:52 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:If he isn't a total dud, it saves the Celtics development time/resources instead of drafting in the late 30s/early 40s. We need guys that can contribute in the next 2-3 years, not 4-6 years. Less years of control obviously but he's RFA in 2025.

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#92 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:03 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
76ciology wrote:
cl2117 wrote:So would you say a Marcus Smart comparison is apt?

I don't see the Bradley. He really was a mid to long two point shooter. We ran plays for him to get 14 ft jumpers which we know is terrible. He really did little driving and finishing at the rim. Was great on defense and the same size though.

Bradley hit 3s at a decent rate some years. He was a poor man's Ray Allen on offense then, which combined with defense to get him lots of minutes vs. Famous Ray.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#93 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:11 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:If he isn't a total dud, it saves the Celtics development time/resources instead of drafting in the late 30s/early 40s. We need guys that can contribute in the next 2-3 years, not 4-6 years. Less years of control obviously but he's RFA in 2025.

Read on Twitter

Yeah, value wise. Celts got really good value for Springer. Stevens also got a good eye for talent and understands basketball so I think he’s on to something
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,524

Post#94 » by Parliament10 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:29 pm

76ciology wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah, value wise. Celts got really good value for Springer. Stevens also got a good eye for talent and understands basketball so I think he’s on to something

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#95 » by Hal14 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:49 pm

Woah

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The key words I see in that quote... "he can play in the playoffs"

Also, that quote seems to kind of be implying that Springer can athletically play in the playoffs but Pritchard (and to a lesser extent Hauser since he plays a different position) cannot.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#96 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:51 pm

Hal14 wrote:Woah

Read on Twitter

The key words I see in that quote... "he can play in the playoffs"

Didn't say which year lol.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#97 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter

#44 was last worn by Timelord.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,001

Post#98 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:35 pm

Scalabrine, Maravich, Bing and of course Ainge wore #44.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#99 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:39 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

#44 was last worn by Timelord.

It has a history a lot livelier than just that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/numbers.html

Ainge. Scal. Timelord. 3 HOFers before it ever got to Ainge. Rick Fox, a man with an enviable sex life. Adrian Griffin, a man with an interesting post-playing career. Jiri Welsch, who was flipped for a pick that was further flipped for the pick used to draft Rajon Rondo.

Even Tyler Zeller is more important than one might first think, as I'm pretty sure that a pick we got to absorb his contract was later flipped to trade for IT4.

What other uniform number in any sport has been worn by a Mormon bishop, a big city mayor, and a guy who married Miss America?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#100 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:46 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Scalabrine, Maravich, Bing and of course Ainge wore #44.

Also Westphal. And the guy who married Vanessa Williams and dated Eliza Dushku. And a very recent Bucks head coach. :)

Return to Boston Celtics