ImageImageImage

Tired of Celtics' Playoff Inconsistency, Wyc Grousbeck Decided 'We're Not Running It Back'

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,484

Tired of Celtics' Playoff Inconsistency, Wyc Grousbeck Decided 'We're Not Running It Back' 

Post#1 » by Gant » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:55 pm

"I walked in and met with Joe (Mazzulla) and Brad (Stevens), and I just said, 'I know one thing: we're not bringing this team back,' shared Grousbeck.

"That was over the summer. It was two years in a row of really good teams that fell short, and in my view, they were inconsistent. We were hot and cold, high and low, and we lost. And we lost to two good teams, the Warriors and the Heat, but we lost. And I just said, 'We're not bringing it back; we're not running it back, period. That's my decision. Now, you tell me what changes we ought to make, guys, or let's do it together. But I wanted their recommendations. And so, I said it out there: we're not bringing the team back, and we didn't bring the team back. Did I know we were gonna get (Kristaps) Porzingis and (Jrue) Holiday? No, I did not. Is that the genius of Brad? Yes. Brad is unbelievable and deserves all the credit in the world."

https://www.si.com/nba/celtics/video/tired-of-celtics-playoff-inconsistency-wyc-grousbeck-decided-were-not-running-it-back
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,202

Re: Tired of Celtics' Playoff Inconsistency, Wyc Grousbeck Decided 'We're Not Running It Back' 

Post#2 » by 31to6 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:16 pm

and you know what? He was right. It was *very* hard, but subtracting Mfiondu Kabengele from this team seems to have really paid dividends.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,479

Re: Tired of Celtics' Playoff Inconsistency, Wyc Grousbeck Decided 'We're Not Running It Back' 

Post#3 » by Tyakack » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:46 pm

I felt so relieved he felt that way because I was prepared to not watch this season if they just ran it back. I was over it and convinced that core wasn't winning a title.
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 16,069

Post#4 » by Bar Fight » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:09 pm

That chokejob against the Heat warranted major changes. You can't lose Playoff series where you're by far the better team. Especially when we had a dream path to the Finals (no Bucks, Embiid on one leg, and 8th seed in the ECF)
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,582

Post#5 » by bisme37 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:23 pm

The changes have been great. C's got more complete, more talented, more versatile and more cerebral.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,202

Post#6 » by 31to6 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:28 am

bisme37 wrote:The changes have been great. C's got more complete, more talented, more versatile and more cerebral.

Also more consistent.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,877

Post#7 » by Jammer » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:52 am

bisme37 wrote:The changes have been great. C's got more complete, more talented, more versatile and more cerebral.

Hol-li-day da da dat dat da da dat dat da da dat dat da da dat dat
Celebrate da da dat dat da da dat dat da da dat dat da da dat dat

We've got to get together
In Every Nation

Celebrate
Hol-li-day's calming presence, right "attitute", and overall Team Play.

Meanwhile, Zinger gives a Post presence and some long awaited Rim Protection.

They were OVERDUE. Hauser was a nice find, Pritch overachieves but knows his role, and Luke overachieves. The rest of the bench was filled out MAGNIFICENTLY. It's beautiful to behold.

:rockon:

Now we've just got to hope they keep winning by ten because their one weakness this season, and all along, has been punching matches in the last 3 minutes where other teams can have a better scorer to lean on. Hopefully Tatum and Brown CONTINUE to grow, but that has been their achillies heel in the past.

The Celtics Top 9 players are the most efficient that they've ever been, but can they keep up their career best pace against playoff defenses, schemes and opposing coaches throwing new wrinkles at them with intense defense?

Return to Boston Celtics