ImageImageImage

Free Agent & Trade Thread, 2024-25

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,817

Re: Free Agent Thread, 2023-24 (con't) 

Post#21 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:06 pm

Good fit.
Read on Twitter
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,137

Post#22 » by Dogen » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:48 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Good fit.
Read on Twitter

Nice signing for the Timberwolves. He may have come in handy last night against Sacto when Edwards went out and Kat had foul trouble. An extra vet sniper off the bench can come in handy.

Speaking of which, it looks like almost all of the contending teams shored up extra vet support except the Celtics. I suppose Spriner and Tillman are technically "vets" but I'm talking PJ Tucker, TJ Warren, Bogdan B, Pat Bev type older vets with that playoff experience and some chippiness.

IDK, he doesn't fit the biggest need, but from the players left, Patty Mills is intriguing. An injury to Holiday, White or Pritchard and we'll want an extra steady hand on the ball. Patty is one of those guys that could get hot for a game or two in the playoffs and give the team that PJ Brown factor, even though from a totally different position.

If I had to choose between Payton and Patty in a tight game 7 4th quarter, I'd probably go with the more experienced Mills. Joe keeps a very tight rotation, so maybe the Celtics don't want to upset the apple cart they have, but I'd take the insurance policy of having one more 15 year vet on this club to augment Al and Jrue.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Dogen
RealGM

Post#23 » by Dogen » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:51 pm

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#24 » by Hal14 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:22 pm

Dogen wrote:

Yeah, give me Patty. The guy knows how to play. Still has some gas left in the tank - just enough gas to help us win banner 18.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,488

Post#25 » by celtxman » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:29 pm

You look at the Celtics gaudy record and try to use this spot to fill in a weakness. We are going to see closer games and better teams. This team has a propensity to be up by 10 points with 3 minutes left to be fighting for their lives in the last minute, throwing the ball all over the place and missing free throws. Patty Mills can handle the ball, hit free throws, hit an occasional 3, and is a veteran.
It's kind of like an NFL team using such a roster spot on a long snapper. But if the existing long snapper is frequently firing it over the punters head you might need to consider it.
We have seen enough end of game fire drills to think about it.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,817

Post#26 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:40 pm

I want a vet too esp someone with championship experience, if only for locker room/bench support. But I don’t expect anyone we acquire to play any meaningful minutes in the postseason, if at all. Our playoff rotation is set and ready to win it all. No one available will crack that 8- or even 9-man rotation when healthy.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,614

Post#27 » by 165bows » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:44 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:I want a vet too esp someone with championship experience, if only for locker room/bench support. But I don’t expect anyone we acquire to play any meaningful minutes in the postseason, if at all. Our playoff rotation is set and ready to win it all. No one available will crack that 8- or even 9-man rotation when healthy.

Right, the guy that is that deep backup ball handler is actually Svi. They aren’t cracking out Patty Mills in crunch time in the playoffs.

Hal’s review of their history grabbing young guys at this time of year is pretty interesting, barring injury I think they do the same.

Ie, they like their guys.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#28 » by Dogen » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:03 pm

165bows wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I want a vet too esp someone with championship experience, if only for locker room/bench support. But I don’t expect anyone we acquire to play any meaningful minutes in the postseason, if at all. Our playoff rotation is set and ready to win it all. No one available will crack that 8- or even 9-man rotation when healthy.

Right, the guy that is that deep backup ball handler is actually Svi. They aren’t cracking out Patty Mills in crunch time in the playoffs.

Hal’s review of their history grabbing young guys at this time of year is pretty interesting, barring injury I think they do the same.

Svi is so deep, he's not on court. I actually think he has some untapped potential, but don't expect to see much from him this year. Patty would be cracking out over Svi in playoff minutes, if the need were to arise.

As for grabbing young guys, yes, that's been Brad's MO, but this year may be different. We already have Tillman, Springer, Walsh, Davison, Queta and the team is overall young for a contender. I'd rather have someone to fill that Blake Griffin role, preferably Blake Griffin, but Mills would a nice add at this point.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#29 » by Dogen » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:06 pm

Says here that Mills is "Eyed by the Celtics" but nothing about whose eyeballs are doing the eyeing:

https://bvmsports.com/2024/03/01/patty-mills-experienced-aussie-guard-eyed-by-boston-celtics-for-playoff-push/
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,198

Post#30 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:41 pm

Dogen wrote:Says here that Mills is "Eyed by the Celtics" but nothing about whose eyeballs are doing the eyeing:

https://bvmsports.com/2024/03/01/patty-mills-experienced-aussie-guard-eyed-by-boston-celtics-for-playoff-push/

That article sounds like pure speculation, but I'd love a Patty Mills signing and wouldn't be surprised if it happened.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,488

Post#31 » by celtxman » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:58 pm

165bows wrote:

I agree with your premise on the roster, in their eyes, already has everyone who is going to play in crunchtime. But the Celtics great record masks games that they held onto by their fingernails and outright losses to Charlotte and Golden State with terrible play at the end.
What I like about Mazzullas growth as a coach is he is no longer afraid (with a big assist from Brad's trades. Remember when we couldn't play Derrick White at the end of games because of how Smart would react ?) He subbed in Pritchard for Holiday a couple of times in key moments as an example. He sat the whole starting 5 to start the 3rd quarter against the Bucks.
I don't think you bring out Svi for really much of anything. I'd rather have Mills to break glass in case of emergency or change of pace (he is shooting 38% on 3's without any rhythm.) He does have a ring and would understand his role.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Hal14
RealGM

Post#32 » by Hal14 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:17 pm

You're probably right. And I don't see anyone saying that any buyout guy we pickup would *definitely* be in our 8 (or even 9) man playoff rotation consistently.

But why not get a guy who has championship experience, can provide locker room/bench support AND *could* provide some on court value, just in case?

Pritchard would obviously be over Mills in the rotation if we got Patty. But Patty could just be Pritchard insurance. You yourself have mentioned quite a few times that you think Pritchard is a liability on D. Patty isn't a great defender but perhaps he'd be slightly less of a defensive liability than Pritchard. And Pritchard has struggled at times to hit shots in the playoffs. Only shot like 21% from 3 in the 2022 NBA finals, was pretty much glued to the bench in the 2023 playoffs. Career 33% from 3 in the playoffs, compared to Patty who's a career 38% from 3 in the playoffs, including 40% from 3 on over 3 attempts per game and 7 PPG for the Spurs in the 2014 playoffs, when they won the title.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Pritchard would be the default backup guard. But Patty could be there just in case Pritchard isn't cutting it. Like with any insurance, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#33 » by Hal14 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:22 pm

Bummer for Queta. Hopefully the injury isn't serious but if it is, he won't get the 15th roster spot.

Read on Twitter

Ironically, it's old friend Wenyen Gabriel who blocks Queta and leads to him getting hurt.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,523

Post#34 » by Parliament10 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter

He's got to be the most tenured Two-Way player, ever.
This would be his 7th year, if not injured.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,701

Post#35 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:46 pm

I’m guessing Queta is out for the 15th position on the Celtics.

If I am Brad Stevens I would take a chance on a younger player, for example Hayes, Bouknight, Knox or someone else and give them a deal for the balance of the season and a non guaranteed deal for next year and take a chance that you can turn the player into something useful. If not, cut them before the start of next season.

Remember, the Celtics have very little ways to get better next year
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 697

Post#36 » by JaMarco » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:51 pm

I'll take Mills at this point. Possibly OPJ too if he gets released.
Memokerobi
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,566

Post#37 » by Memokerobi » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:48 am

Patty Mills brings nothing to this team imo
Memokerobi
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,566

Post#38 » by Memokerobi » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:49 am

JaMarco wrote:I'll take Mills at this point. Possibly OPJ too if he gets released.

That ship has sailed since Ainge didn't waive him yesterday which was the deadline to be eligible for the playoffs
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 6,879

Post#39 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:08 am

Memokerobi wrote:Patty Mills brings nothing to this team imo

An excellent locker room vet with championship experience is what he’d bring. But on court not much these days, if he was playing things would not be going well.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#40 » by jirrit » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:52 am

Memokerobi wrote:Patty Mills brings nothing to this team imo

All we need is insurance. Rotation is set, roster is set.

Return to Boston Celtics