ImageImageImage

Even The Celts Cavn't Figured Out How to Win Em All! Loss vs CLE 3/5

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,544

Re: Even The Celts Cavn't Figured Out How to Win Em All! Loss vs CLE 3/5 

Post#241 » by Fierce1 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:12 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:It's not the fact that the Celtics lost a 22 point lead in the 4th and lost the game. Big deal, these things happen in the regular season. What is concerning to me is how they lost and how it is very similar to their past playoff failures.

The narrative around the NBA is the Celtics are talented and when they stick to moving the ball they are near unstoppable. When things get real tight and teams apply pressure, the ball movement goes away and the Celtics revert back to ISO ball and taking bad shots.

Last night did nothing to disprove that narrative. Unfortunately.

That's why I said the Cs chances of winning a chip will be higher next season.

This season the Cs are good enough, but there are still questions that will only be answered in the playoffs.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#242 » by Fierce1 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:16 pm

JB said this is a mentality loss.

Apparently JB is pissed.

Let's see if they take their anger out on the Nuggets.
Birdon
Sophomore
And1: 152

Post#243 » by Birdon » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:29 pm

At least one of the stars is pissed.
Now go out there and crush some souls.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,556

Post#244 » by shackles10 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:30 pm

We blew it. No question about it. Felt like when they made their run earlier we either took a 3 (and missed) every possession or went full iso. Blame that on coaching or players only if you want, but coach didn’t stop it and players kept doing it and have for years. I know it’s an anomaly of a game, but damn we brought the ball up so much quicker in the Warriors game. Allowed us to find the mismatches quicker and even the 3’s were more open with extra passes we had time to make instead of shot clock ending we might as well shoot it looks this 4th quarter had.

Really though I didn’t think we played well all game. We just happened to play “worse” in the 4th. The media halftime narrative that we were scoring at will in the first half wasn’t based on reality as we only had 55 and seemed more like they needed to have their turn at talking about our season long offense even if it didn’t match what happened in those first 24 minutes. The defense was fine then, but offensively it was just hot shooting from JT and Zinger for a half.

We didn’t deserve to win after choking it away, but when Mobley got hurt and Jrue shot the 3 right when they fouled was kinda bull. The rule is also messed up in that if a foul is overturned and they see a player gains possession real-time they don’t jump it and give it to that team instead. Why couldn’t they just see if KP’s tip was in time of no foul or at the very least give us the ball since he secured the rebound. I’m guessing it’s something to do with jump balls only at end of games and I just don’t know the rule, but that’s pretty lame. The Tatum review also kinda bull in that once you call the foul you need to and are supposed to review it all. Things happening immediately before, during, and after are all in play, and we’ve seen reviews take those things into account all seasons. A no call would have been fine, but once you do blow the whistle why do we ignore the contact before the shot? Can’t remember if we were in the bonus so maybe it didn’t matter. No contact on the elbow is fine and I’m even ok with not calling the leg contact even though they said it was a natural shooting motion so seems inconsistent at best. He contested hard though so definitely seemed to be on his air space for the landing. Again, don’t want to call it to begin with fine, but a replay should not end with “we wish we hadn’t blown the whistle” basically and should be very conclusive to change the call. Just nitpicking after a game we definitely should have won, felt to me at least like somehow we were going to pull it out, and isn’t this the place for nitpicking?

Anyways, “Carry the hell on”, as our biggest hater/former lover likes to say.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 11,037

Post#245 » by CelticsPride18 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:36 pm

Nothing has been reported on Tillman being inactive last night. Weird
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,883

Post#246 » by Green89 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:40 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The reality is that the Celtics lost this game by playing selfish hero ball in the 4th quarter and getting killed on the glass all game. It's why I have zero confidence that they can win a title notwithstanding their record.

Killed on the glass all game?

Cs outrebounded the Cavs 53 to 42.

The Cs even had more offensive rebounds 14 to 8.

Where are you getting your data?

But Cavs had 14 2nd chance points to our 12, so they pretty much scored on every offensive board they grabbed but one. And we scored on less than half of ours.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,947

Post#247 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:45 pm

This is either going to be Is a title and finally 18.. Or the most epic choke job from regular season to playoffs... There is no in between.. Not with this team..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#248 » by Fierce1 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:55 pm

Green89 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The reality is that the Celtics lost this game by playing selfish hero ball in the 4th quarter and getting killed on the glass all game. It's why I have zero confidence that they can win a title notwithstanding their record.

Killed on the glass all game?

But Cavs had 14 2nd chance points to our 12, so they pretty much scored on every offensive board they grabbed but one. And we scored on less than half of ours.

He didn't say 2nd chance pts.

What he said was Cs got killed on the glass all game.

There's a difference between rebounds and 2nd chance points.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,959

Post#249 » by Larry_Russell » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:09 pm

out of curiosity cause I turned game off and went to bed at end of 3rd.

There was a call review at the end of the game on a shot that Tatum missed, KP got the ball off the rebound. Foul call was reversed and there was a jump ball at half court right?

Cause if that is correct didnt this happen in Indiana early this year with a different result?

Brown was fouled and Indiana got the ball, call was reviewed and reversed and indy got the ball to inbounds.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#250 » by Fierce1 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:13 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:out of curiosity cause I turned game off and went to bed at end of 3rd.

There was a call review at the end of the game on a shot that Tatum missed, KP got the ball off the rebound. Foul call was reversed and there was a jump ball at half court right?

Cause if that is correct didnt this happen in Indiana early this year with a different result?

Brown was fouled and Indiana got the ball, call was reviewed and reversed and indy got the ball to inbounds.

Yeah, you are correct.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,883

Post#251 » by Green89 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:45 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Killed on the glass all game?

He didn't say 2nd chance pts.

What he said was Cs got killed on the glass all game.

There's a difference between rebounds and 2nd chance points.

But if he was talking about getting "killed on the glass" in respect to offensive boards, he was right. We let them score on nearly all of theirs and it made a big difference.

You quoted the discrepancy in our favor of offensive boards, but the final result on whether each team scored or not on those boards is relevant.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,587

Post#252 » by bisme37 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:04 pm

Dang this is a big thread!

I honestly think I missed the full effect of the collapse last night because when we were up 20 in the 4th I started finding tweets and making the victory thread lol. By the time I was done with that I looked up and realized we were losing and had to adjust (which some of you probably noticed took me a minute).

Anyway, stupid loss but better now than in the playoffs. Learn from it and get better.
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 16,070

Post#253 » by Bar Fight » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:05 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:It's not the fact that the Celtics lost a 22 point lead in the 4th and lost the game. Big deal, these things happen in the regular season. What is concerning to me is how they lost and how it is very similar to their past playoff failures.

The narrative around the NBA is the Celtics are talented and when they stick to moving the ball they are near unstoppable. When things get real tight and teams apply pressure, the ball movement goes away and the Celtics revert back to ISO ball and taking bad shots.

Last night did nothing to disprove that narrative. Unfortunately.

That's why I said the Cs chances of winning a chip will be higher next season.

This season the Cs are good enough, but there are still questions that will only be answered in the playoffs.

They also have a 45 year window so it's okay if they don't win next year either
He_Got_Game
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#254 » by He_Got_Game » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:29 pm

I'm a pro Tatum guy but he was very selfish in the second half. He finished the game with only 2 assists which is not good considering the talent around him.

Also when I saw Porzingis and Kornet on the floor at the same time I knew what was going to happen. Mazzulla did not take this game seriously.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,945

Post#255 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:45 pm

The Corey's wrote:
London2Boston wrote:Only 7.5 games clear at the top now. This team sucks.

Strawman argument.

No one said that and to conflate the argument like that is disingenuous.

YOU really shouldn't use that word about anybody ELSE'S posts in this thread.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,842

Post#256 » by lon3lytoaster » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:52 pm

Not a single thing about that last possession makes sense. If you’re going to waste so much clock and let the defense set up, just call the **** timeout, or which you had two with under 20 seconds left. This is one of those moments that really gives me some pause about getting too excited too soon for the playoffs.

Also Zarba’s call makes no sense on the challenge. If he determines there’s a leg kick by Tatum, it should be an offensive foul. If it’s not an offensive foul, it’s a defensive shooting foul. Also have seen them give the “rebound” to the team closest to the ball since apparently there was no foul at all? Legitimately made no sense.
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 946

Post#257 » by JR Hawks » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:18 pm

This is the best thing that could happen to the Celtics. Tatum and his poor crunch time stats are getting eviscerated by the sports media. Hopefully, Tatum sees it all and finally stops trying to play Kobe ball in the clutch.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,914

Post#258 » by The Corey's » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:22 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Sweet Serenity wrote:
Imagine hating the coach that much you don’t think he has anything to do with the level of dominance he’s showed this season :lol:

You guys are all over the place.

I got one of you arguing that Joe doesn't matter and there's no evidence that calling a timeout leads to a statistical difference in the game and then you arguing that he's the reason there dominating.

Yet you're both arguing against my take.

**** Joe.

You only appear when we lose games to **** on Joe with surface level takes. It was bad game by Joe and Tatum. **** happens

What a ridiculous take. I'm not here to circle jerk 80 points blowouts.

When Joe does Joe **** I'm gonna be here to talk about it because that's what matters.

It's the only thing that can stop them from winning the title.

Not that that should happen because they're the best team in the league by light-years.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,914

Post#259 » by The Corey's » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:24 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
London2Boston wrote:Only 7.5 games clear at the top now. This team sucks.

Strawman argument.

No one said that and to conflate the argument like that is disingenuous.

YOU really shouldn't use that word about anybody ELSE'S posts in this thread.

Help me understand your point.

If your point is you love Joe and don't think he's gonna cost you the title then added to the list you go.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,832

Post#260 » by Deivork » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:25 pm

Stupid loss. And what a great game we had had after 3Qs. Just when I was about to post that this team REALLY had me believing... Well I still believe we have good chances but...

Return to Boston Celtics