ImageImageImage

Celts Order a 6 Piece But Only Get 5! Loss vs Nuggets 3/7

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,818

Re: Celts Order a 6 Piece But Only Get 5! Loss vs Nuggets 3/7 

Post#141 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:57 pm

Celtics 5-6 when JB scores 40+ in a game, incl. playoffs.
Celtics 24-5 when JT scores 40+ in a game, incl. playoffs.

Get JB some more help.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,877

Post#142 » by Jammer » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:58 pm

Tatum's 5 Turnovers are what concern me. High IQ guys have a sense of where other players are, can estimate the reach/steps of other players (yeah, Jokic will surprise with his agility and ability to move his hands or feet at times) and Tatum just doesn't seem to get it. Over and over I see him make turnovers that someone paying attention, with a good sense of judgement, RISK ASSESSMENT, wouldn't do or would change the angle of the pass or not dribble into a situation where a guy wraps around for a poke or whatever. His non-chalance at times is concerning considering the dumb-assed turnovers that Tatum repeatedly makes. The only guy on the Celtics who approaches him in improper Risk Assessment is Jaylen Brown. I do believe these deficiencies are curable, but Joe certainly doesn't address it and neither did IME. I am certain their stupid assed turnovers would have been cured under Spoelstra, who would simply run the film, say what they did that was dumb, what they could have done as an alternative, and eventually they'd LEARN.
Stan34
Senior
And1: 461

Post#143 » by Stan34 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:01 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Celtics 5-6 when JB scores 40+ in a game, incl. playoffs.
Celtics 24-5 when JT scores 40+ in a game, incl. playoffs.

Get JB some more help.
That's cause when Jaylen is super hot JT is cold. JB is better than JT as a second option

Inviato dal mio CPH2399 utilizzando Tapatalk
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,544

Post#144 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:05 pm

Bar Fight wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Bar Fight wrote:Murray shot 7-18 with 5 TOs, they shot 19% from three, MPJ was invisible. That was not the Nuggets best lol

But they were making the right plays.

They were not turning the ball over, like the Celtics.

Murray just didn't shoot well, but you can never accuse him of being passive or making bad decisions.

Part of championship basketball is still being able to impact the game even when you're not shooting the ball well.

Murray was never a negative for the Nuggets in this game.

Ok. And the Nuggets can play much better than they did last night, and have done so before. This was not one team playing "their best" and the other playing like **** like you tried to portray it.

Are you really telling me this is how the Cs played during that 11-game winning streak?
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,259

Post#145 » by TheSheriff » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:11 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:I’ve seen enough of Tatum in big games. Dude is a complete wimp and deserves every bit of hate he gets.

Another complete no show from him against the Nuggets because just like Miami they throw bodies in his way and he **** his pants.

Did you know he’s won more playoff games and Series than Jokic?

Are people not paying attention?

Focusing on the big moments when he fail and not the (more frequent) ones where he succeeds is silly.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#146 » by Dannyboy36 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:16 pm

What concerns me most is the Celtics just don’t hunt the mismatch with KP enough and make it easier on themselves. It’s like they do it when they haven’t tried it in awhile.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#147 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:16 pm

When the Cs lost to GSW last December, JT and the Cs got bashed for GSW being in their heads.

Look at what happened to GSW when the Cs faced them in the rematch at the Garden.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,614

Post#148 » by 165bows » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:19 pm

Idk if the numbers back it up, but does seem like when this team gets super hot from three they have a let down after. GSW was fun but feels a bit predictable. Maybe just random noise but feels like that.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,612

Post#149 » by Jaqua92 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:21 pm

The Corey's wrote:
Jakeopp wrote:Keep searching Brad, Tatum isn't taking this group to the promised land.

Celtics are winning it all.

Horrible game and they barely lost.

Murray had an uncharacteristically inefficient game himself, in the Nuggets made four threes. In their own kind of ways, they were equally as bad. The reality is they've controlled late game situations both times we've played them, and they won twice.
celticgreenie
Junior
And1: 271

Post#150 » by celticgreenie » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:21 pm

Last season, I suggested Tatum needed to post up more. He has done that this season and has seemed quite effective at times working in post. However, I was troubled when I saw one play last night. Murray is not a good defender and all Tatum had to do was rise up and shoot over a much shorter Murrary but instead leaned in with his shoulder for an offensive foul. Low IQ move. Tatum should talk to Porzingis about just shooting over much shorter guys who can't block your shot.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#151 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:23 pm

165bows wrote:Idk if the numbers back it up, but does seem like when this team gets super hot from three they have a let down after. GSW was fun but feels a bit predictable. Maybe just random noise but feels like that.

GSW beat up the the Bucks by 35 and end up losing to the #9 seed Bulls the next game.

I keep saying it, winning by big margins is not a good thing.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#152 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:25 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:What concerns me most is the Celtics just don’t hunt the mismatch with KP enough and make it easier on themselves. It’s like they do it when they haven’t tried it in awhile.

In first game against Denver, I thought they didn't do it enough outside of the 1st Q.

They did last night but Nuggets were ready for it. They were stealing on the pass. And KP didn't score efficiently on his postups like he usually does against other teams when he did make a clean catch.

Overall, I think Cs need to make quicker decisions in the half court against smart, lengthy, and physical teams. Ball sticking with one player or making passes a beat too late just won't work. Tatum had several bad reads as the playmaker.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#153 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:27 pm

celticgreenie wrote:Last season, I suggested Tatum needed to post up more. He has done that this season and has seemed quite effective at times working in post. However, I was troubled when I saw one play last night. Murray is not a good defender and all Tatum had to do was rise up and shoot over a much shorter Murrary but instead leaned in with his shoulder for an offensive foul. Low IQ move. Tatum should talk to Porzingis about just shooting over much shorter guys who can't block your shot.

JT feeling the pressure.

Agree it's a low IQ move.

The solution is more scenarios like that.

The Jays work hard in practice, but clutch situations can't be simulated in practice.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,701

Post#154 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:29 pm

Tatum has to learn that no one is out there to give him anything. He is not entitled to anything. Nobody is going to give him his shot, no one is going to call fouls for him, the rebound is not just going to fall in your hands, no one is going to wait until he gets back on defense to run their plays. If you are going to win a championship you have to reach out and grab it. Way too passive in my opinion.

I say this fully understanding that Jayson Tatum is the Celtics best player. Think about Bird, McHale, Havlicek, Pierce, Garnett, Heinsohn etc. if you want that championship you have to reach out and grab it, it's not going to just come to you.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#155 » by Hal14 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:32 pm

Bar Fight wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Bar Fight wrote:Murray shot 7-18 with 5 TOs, they shot 19% from three, MPJ was invisible. That was not the Nuggets best lol

But they were making the right plays.

They were not turning the ball over, like the Celtics.

Murray just didn't shoot well, but you can never accuse him of being passive or making bad decisions.

Part of championship basketball is still being able to impact the game even when you're not shooting the ball well.

Murray was never a negative for the Nuggets in this game.

Ok. And the Nuggets can play much better than they did last night, and have done so before. This was not one team playing "their best" and the other playing like **** like you tried to portray it.

That's about as good as Denver can play - especially when facing elite competition.

Denver executed with precision, they made basically no mistakes all game, their best player played like an MVP..it was the opposite for Boston.

Home court advantage was also clearly a factor that helped Denver. Their crowd was going nuts and they have used that to play better at home over the past couple years.

Plus some BS technicals being called on Boston. And lucky buzzer beater shots by Denver from 40 feet from the basket.

Tatum did basically nothing.

And we were still only down by 2 with under a minute left.

And it's only March. If we play them in the finals, it'll be june. Things could look very different in 3 months - especially when we would have home court advantage.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 11,037

Post#156 » by CelticsPride18 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:33 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:What concerns me most is the Celtics just don’t hunt the mismatch with KP enough and make it easier on themselves. It’s like they do it when they haven’t tried it in awhile.

In first game against Denver, I thought they didn't do it enough outside of the 1st Q.

They did last night but Nuggets were ready for it. They were stealing on the pass. And KP didn't score efficiently on his postups like he usually does against other teams when he did make a clean catch.

Overall, I think Cs need to make quicker decisions in the half court against smart, lengthy, and physical teams. Ball sticking with one player or making passes a beat too late just won't work. Tatum had several bad reads as the playmaker.

Landing space calls don’t matter when people are guarding KP.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#157 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:34 pm

Celtics losing this one is really not a bad thing.

This makes them realize they're not there yet.

Maybe a moment like that 2000 west finals Game 7 is what this Cs team needs.

The Lakers were on the verge of losing to the Blazers in Game 7.

But something clicked and the Lakers, led by Kobe and Shaq, came back to stun Portland and went on to win the chip and 2 more chips followed.

Sometimes greatness happens when things seem hopeless.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#158 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:37 pm

Where are those in the doubters list that said the Cs can't beat GSW because Steph and GSW have real estate in the heads of the Jays?

That was the narrative after the Cs lost to GSW last December.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#159 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:41 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Landing space calls don’t matter when people are guarding KP.

'Cos he doesn't jump (forward)?

He usually gets tapped in the elbow/arm though cos of his high release. They usually call those. Haven't looked recently, but I think he leads the team in FTA rate.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,959

Post#160 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:00 pm

Jammer wrote:Unfortunately the Celtics starting lineup LACKS a GREAT PICK SETTER for Tatum, Brown and White to blow by and attack the rim in pick and rolls. Tatum doesn't want the abuse on his shoulders of guys constantly running into him, and Porzingis is a bit of a softie (the way he's built and plays) for a 7 footer.

Tatum and Brown need to set more screens.

Return to Boston Celtics