ImageImageImage

Who would you carry onto next year's Roster? – (Knowing what you know now)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Which 7, of the Bottom 10, would you carry onto next year's Regular NBA Roster?

Queta
14%
Davison
3%
Peterson
1%
Walsh
12%
Hauser
16%
Springer
10%
Mykhailiuk
3%
Brissett
8%
Tillman
15%
Kornet
16%

Total votes: 299

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,618

Re: Who would you carry onto next year's Roster? – (Knowing what you know now) 

Post#41 » by 165bows » Mon May 6, 2024 3:04 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
He'll be 29 in July and has nice-looking stats. That seems like more than a minimum-salary player.

I just don't see another team being more excited about Kornet than Boston currently is.

If it did take more than the minimum to keep him here, would you do it?

I think Kornet is going to have more of a market than people in this forum think. NBA has been watching, teams need a backup center and they know what Kornet can do. Could easily see a team giving Kornet 3 years and $15 million total. Do the Celtics match?

I mean, Dallas just gave something like that to Javale McGee to do the same things Kornet does and then he stunk and they had to turn around and dump him. And they aren't the only team committed to regularly doing dumb, desperate things.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,125

Post#42 » by RickyDizzle » Mon May 6, 2024 3:23 pm

165bows wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
I just don't see another team being more excited about Kornet than Boston currently is.

If it did take more than the minimum to keep him here, would you do it?

I think Kornet is going to have more of a market than people in this forum think. NBA has been watching, teams need a backup center and they know what Kornet can do. Could easily see a team giving Kornet 3 years and $15 million total. Do the Celtics match?

I mean, Dallas just gave something like that to Javale McGee to do the same things Kornet does and then he stunk and they had to turn around and dump him. And they aren't the only team committed to regularly doing dumb, desperate things.

I wouldn't match 3 for 15. Think Tillman and Queta should be able to fill the 3rd center role fine.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,530

Post#43 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:22 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
165bows wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I think Kornet is going to have more of a market than people in this forum think. NBA has been watching, teams need a backup center and they know what Kornet can do. Could easily see a team giving Kornet 3 years and $15 million total. Do the Celtics match?

I wouldn't match 3 for 15. Think Tillman and Queta should be able to fill the 3rd center role fine.

$15/3yrs doesn't seem too far off of what he would get, anyway?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#44 » by RickyDizzle » Mon May 6, 2024 6:22 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
165bows wrote:I mean, Dallas just gave something like that to Javale McGee to do the same things Kornet does and then he stunk and they had to turn around and dump him. And they aren't the only team committed to regularly doing dumb, desperate things.

But how many centers do we need? Porzingis, Horford, Kornet, Tillman, Queta... is 1/3 of the roster for one of the 5 positions. I'd rather let Kornet walk, have Tillman and Queta fill his role and then draft a stretch big (4/5) with upside in the 1st or 2nd. Kornet is fine and good at his role, but he is only a center and I dont think you lose much with Tillman and Queta taking his minutes.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by 165bows » Mon May 6, 2024 7:53 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

But how many centers do we need? Porzingis, Horford, Kornet, Tillman, Queta... is 1/3 of the roster for one of the 5 positions. I'd rather let Kornet walk, have Tillman and Queta fill his role and then draft a stretch big (4/5) with upside in the 1st or 2nd. Kornet is fine and good at his role, but he is only a center and I dont think you lose much with Tillman and Queta taking his minutes.

At least 6 imo :lol:

We need a whole bullpen full of Centers with different descriptions. Closers, set up guys, middle relief, lefty, mop-up guy, developmental guys.

Except for centers it's like, shooting big, strong guy that can pass and play D but can't score to save his life, super athletic guy, small ball guy that's not a center but plays it anyways etc etc.

I mean, the nicknames could be improved but you get what I am saying.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#46 » by brackdan70 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:04 pm

165bows wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:$15/3yrs doesn't seem too far off of what he would get, anyway?

We need a whole bullpen full of Centers with different descriptions. Closers, set up guys, middle relief, lefty, mop-up guy, developmental guys.

Except for centers it's like, shooting big, strong guy that can pass and play D but can't score to save his life, super athletic guy, small ball guy that's not a center but plays it anyways etc etc.

I agree. Those 5 guys and a draft pick. Remember Horford likely is done after next year…or is he?
Sign here
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by 165bows » Mon May 6, 2024 9:20 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
165bows wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

I agree. Those 5 guys and a draft pick. Remember Horford likely is done after next year…or is he?

Not that it is big enough to mean anything but the KP/Kornet 2 man-pairing was KP's best two man grouping +/- and same for Kornet.
SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,764

Post#48 » by SLCceltic » Mon May 6, 2024 10:24 pm

What's with the Svi disrespect in this thread ??
Houser's next deal will be way too expensive for us. Svi is a very nice replacement and would very likely thrive at this stage of his career with Houser's minutes
ROYALGREEN
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by RickyDizzle » Mon May 6, 2024 11:22 pm

SLCceltic wrote:What's with the Svi disrespect in this thread ??
Houser's next deal will be way too expensive for us. Svi is a very nice replacement and would very likely thrive at this stage of his career with Houser's minutes

Interesting take, Svi has been a good player in the past and looked pretty good at times here, but was never really given a chance. I think Svi is a better jack of all trades type than Hauser, but Hausers shooting is just so good that he is perfect for standing at the 3 pt line with the Jays doing their thing. Hauser will likely get paid more than he should, but I think the Cs just pony up to keep this team together if they win it all this year. Extend White, extend Hauser too. Instead of his team option next year, you could decline it an extend him, give him money earlier and make the number lower. If the C's pick up his option next year, they can pay him 2 million for 2025.

If however, they decline the option and extend him for say 4 years for $50 million, they can pay him an average of 12.5 mil per year in actual dollars, but since they had the option of paying him just $2 million for next year its really like an extension of 3 years for $16 mil per. The "new money" is 48 million and 3 years.

I think something like this will happen with Hauser. Next year will be expensive, but then he essentially takes Horford's salary slot.

... separate from all that, I can't speak for everyone, but I think Svi is mostly be written off the team because he plays the least and we need at least some turnover to bring in some upside guys like Walsh, the hope being we hit on one or two and extend our window / produce some home grown talent for the long-term. Its not that I don't like Svi, but there isnt much of a spot for him and Brisset may pick up his player option, so in the end, Svi is just a means to an ends of creating a roster spot.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,382

Post#50 » by chrisab123 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:57 pm

Kornet is obviously one of the best 7 to choose from this list. However, I'd let him walk or try to combine him with others to get a better player in the offseason if possible. I know the Celtics are restricted quite a bit.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#51 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:48 am

RickyDizzle wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

Tillman is more of a 4, than a 5. We don't have 5 strict Centers. Horford also plays the 4 & 5.
Those 5 + Tatum, is more like 6 at the PF/C.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#52 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:55 am

Svi (who is a ballhandler) is a bit of Pritchard and a bit of Hauser. Svi would have to stay behind them.
I seriously doubt that he wants to do that for another year.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 109

Post#53 » by redslastlaugh » Tue May 7, 2024 3:47 am

I may be in the minority, but I have a strong preference that we bring back JD Davison on a full roster contract, perhaps a 2+1 with the third year option being a team option.

I think Davison’s detractors focus too much on his weaknesses (so-so shooting and defense) rather than focusing on his outlier strengths (pace, athleticism, and passing acumen). Davison’s strengths sort of fill in for the exact weaknesses of our frontline guards who are not elite setup men (Davison’s assist % was 40% during the g league regular season and 45% during the 5 game g league playoffs) and we have already invested two years into developing him.

Plus we really need to consider reducing Holidays minutes now that he’s been extended at a big cap figure into his age 37 season. And so I think letting Pritchard play a little more and bumping Davison into the fourth guard role that Dalano BAnton started the year in, makes a lot of sense.

Lastly, the fact that JD runs a great pick and roll and is a true pass first PG without being a high 3 pt attempt player is maybe the best thing about him. Basketball is not a math problem, is more art than science and we just don’t have that many guys on the roster whose primary skill is the art of setting up ones teammates. And whose game doesn’t revert to no pass 3 pt field goal attempts under duress.

I think JD should get strong consideration for the 13th roster spot and I think the dude has a chance to really be additive as a player next year.
SLCceltic
Analyst

Post#54 » by SLCceltic » Tue May 7, 2024 4:00 am

RickyDizzle wrote:

Interesting take, Svi has been a good player in the past and looked pretty good at times here, but was never really given a chance. I think Svi is a better jack of all trades type than Hauser, but Hausers shooting is just so good that he is perfect for standing at the 3 pt line with the Jays doing their thing. Hauser will likely get paid more than he should, but I think the Cs just pony up to keep this team together if they win it all this year. Extend White, extend Hauser too. Instead of his team option next year, you could decline it an extend him, give him money earlier and make the number lower. If the C's pick up his option next year, they can pay him 2 million for 2025.

If however, they decline the option and extend him for say 4 years for $50 million, they can pay him an average of 12.5 mil per year in actual dollars, but since they had the option of paying him just $2 million for next year its really like an extension of 3 years for $16 mil per. The "new money" is 48 million and 3 years.

I think something like this will happen with Hauser. Next year will be expensive, but then he essentially takes Horford's salary slot.

... separate from all that, I can't speak for everyone, but I think Svi is mostly be written off the team because he plays the least and we need at least some turnover to bring in some upside guys like Walsh, the hope being we hit on one or two and extend our window / produce some home grown talent for the long-term. Its not that I don't like Svi, but there isnt much of a spot for him and Brisset may pick up his player option, so in the end, Svi is just a means to an ends of creating a roster spot.

We're at 208m for next season and will only get HiGHER ha ha
so ya, it's best to use Bird rights to extend Houser now. I was thinking that his new contract would be doubled bc of Apron implications, but the penalties fall more into the middling-roster-ADDiTiON category ...Slam is more valuable than any middling FA or in-season Cut anyway.

I'm still doing everything I can to hang on to Svi though, he is SUPER underrated. He is our best off-platform shooter (houser needs to be set and open) and Svi can do alot more with the ball in his hands. Svi is just entering his prime and needs PT. He is a great fallback option if/when we decide to trade Houser after signing an extension.

Can't let Svi get away, way too much there to work with. He is a willing Defender, not lacking in foot speed. He is a very good finisher and can move the ball. He can score from any angle under duress.

Svi and Kornet are the prizes of the stayRcrew. Brissett is at his ceiling and only fringe. JD and Queta are GLeague, X has had some career moments on D but has been a big disappointment here and seems outclassed by surrounding talent.

I like Walsh alot !

Going to have to build through the Draft !
2nd Round ha ha
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Analyst

Post#55 » by SLCceltic » Tue May 7, 2024 4:04 am

Parliament10 wrote:

Svi (who is a ballhandler) is a bit of Pritchard and a bit of Hauser. Svi would have to stay behind them.
I seriously doubt that he wants to do that for another year.

Ya I'm sure he's sick of sitting behind Houser and PP, but I'm telling him 'we want you here and can pay you more'
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Analyst

Post#56 » by SLCceltic » Tue May 7, 2024 4:15 am

Springer is still very interesting but his 4m number very likely ends up trade filler
ROYALGREEN
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by RickyDizzle » Tue May 7, 2024 7:02 am

redslastlaugh wrote:I may be in the minority, but I have a strong preference that we bring back JD Davison on a full roster contract, perhaps a 2+1 with the third year option being a team option.

I think Davison’s detractors focus too much on his weaknesses (so-so shooting and defense) rather than focusing on his outlier strengths (pace, athleticism, and passing acumen). Davison’s strengths sort of fill in for the exact weaknesses of our frontline guards who are not elite setup men (Davison’s assist % was 40% during the g league regular season and 45% during the 5 game g league playoffs) and we have already invested two years into developing him.

Plus we really need to consider reducing Holidays minutes now that he’s been extended at a big cap figure into his age 37 season. And so I think letting Pritchard play a little more and bumping Davison into the fourth guard role that Dalano BAnton started the year in, makes a lot of sense.

Lastly, the fact that JD runs a great pick and roll and is a true pass first PG without being a high 3 pt attempt player is maybe the best thing about him. Basketball is not a math problem, is more art than science and we just don’t have that many guys on the roster whose primary skill is the art of setting up ones teammates. And whose game doesn’t revert to no pass 3 pt field goal attempts under duress.

I think JD should get strong consideration for the 13th roster spot and I think the dude has a chance to really be additive as a player next year.

I'm with you on Jerdarrian Devontae. Think we need a 4th guard more than a 5 or 6th center. At least two guards play at the same time. High upside, and a different skill set. That's also why I like Queta more than Kornet. Kornets played well but a 7'2" string bean is just a weak sauce Porzingis, while Queta is a totally different look. Like JD as a table setter and pace pusher.

Him and Pritchard probably too small to share the court, but he can def play with White, Holiday, or JB in the back court.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,960

Post#58 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 7, 2024 7:46 am

SLCceltic wrote:Springer is still very interesting but his 4m number very likely ends up trade filler

For whom?

It won't be somebody with higher salary unless the trade happens this June, because of the second apron.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#59 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 7, 2024 7:50 am

SLCceltic wrote:Springer is still very interesting but his 4m number very likely ends up trade filler

For whom?

It won't be somebody with higher salary unless the trade happens this June, because of the second apron.

Can't we trade him for a 2nd Round pick?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,960

Post#60 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 7, 2024 7:58 am

Parliament10 wrote:

For whom?

Can't we trade him for a 2nd Round pick?

Sure, theoretically, if we'd rather use his roster spot on one of our other prospects, or a new minimum salary guy.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics