ImageImageImage

Who would you carry onto next year's Roster? – (Knowing what you know now)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Which 7, of the Bottom 10, would you carry onto next year's Regular NBA Roster?

Queta
14%
Davison
3%
Peterson
1%
Walsh
12%
Hauser
16%
Springer
10%
Mykhailiuk
3%
Brissett
8%
Tillman
15%
Kornet
16%

Total votes: 299

SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,764

Re: Who would you carry onto next year's Roster? – (Knowing what you know now) 

Post#61 » by SLCceltic » Tue May 7, 2024 6:06 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:Springer is still very interesting but his 4m number very likely ends up trade filler

For whom?

It won't be somebody with higher salary unless the trade happens this June, because of the second apron.

I'm not thinking about a 1 for 1 swap, I'm talking about adding his 4m with another player(s) to make a bigger move ...if we extend Houser at 4/50, those 2 would get us to about 17, plus PP could get us to 25.

Develop cheap well-chosen talent, then extend and trade for better fitting pieces. I've sorta given up hope on JD and Queta helping us this way. There is still sOme hope for Queta, maybe 25%

Springer's 4m is not enough by itself, but it is the highest contract that we currently have after our core 8. Prior to acquiring Springer, PP was about the only contract that we had to move and it was obviously not enough on its own either to get anything done (via trade) to upgrade the roster.
ROYALGREEN
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#62 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:08 pm

SLCceltic wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:Springer is still very interesting but his 4m number very likely ends up trade filler

For whom?

It won't be somebody with higher salary unless the trade happens this June, because of the second apron.

I'm not thinking about a 1 for 1 swap, his 4m can be added with another player(s) to make a bigger move ...if we extend Houser at 4/50, those 2 would get us to about 17, plus PP could get us to 25.

Develop cheap well-chosen talent, then extend and trade for better fitting pieces. I've sorta given up hope on JD and Queta helping us this way. There is still sOme hope for Queta, maybe 25%

Springer's 4m is not enough by itself, but it is the highest contract that we currently have after our core 8. Prior to acquiring Springer, PP was about the only contract that we had to move and it was obviously not enough on its own either to get anything done (via trade) to upgrade the roster.

We can't aggregate players to match one larger salary.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,660

Post#63 » by brackdan70 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:09 pm

These back of the roster decisions are hard…glad I don’t have to make them.

11 dudes under contract assuming Hauser and Queta team options are exercised.
12 if Brissett opts in.
FRP is 13 which may be traded for seconds.
Need to sign one of Kornet / Tillman if not both.
We maybe have one roster spot for Davison or open or someone else.
I like the idea of signing both Kornet and Tillman if possible. With Zinger and Horford we need lots of depth in bigs.
I don’t mind if Brissett opts out, though I think he is a decent end of the bench guy that can play when needed. I do want to sign Davison if we can. I think he has some elite skills. I want us to draft a big either with a second or 30.
I like Springer but does a trade if him and 30 get us anyone?
Sign here
SLCceltic
Analyst

Post#64 » by SLCceltic » Tue May 7, 2024 6:17 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
For whom?

I'm not thinking about a 1 for 1 swap, his 4m can be added with another player(s) to make a bigger move ...if we extend Houser at 4/50, those 2 would get us to about 17, plus PP could get us to 25.

Something like 4-5 for 1 is ridiculous, other teams do not have 3-4 extra roster spots to take it on ha ha

but couldn't we do a 2 for 1, or 2-3 for 1 and a future pick ?
ROYALGREEN
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#65 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:23 pm

SLCceltic wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

Something like 4-5 for 1 is ridiculous, other teams do not have 3-4 extra roster spots to take it on ha ha

Nah that's one of the penalties for being above the 2nd apron.
SLCceltic
Analyst

Post#66 » by SLCceltic » Tue May 7, 2024 6:58 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:We can't aggregate players to match one larger salary.

Oh. So only 1 for 1 trades ?? or player(s) for same #of player(s) ?
we can trade pick(s) and a player for one player ?
What is the exact penalty for uneven trade combinations ?
ROYALGREEN
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#67 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 7, 2024 7:09 pm

SLCceltic wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

Aggregated Standard Traded Player Exception. Subject to the rules set forth in Section 2(e) above, a Team may use the “Aggregated Standard Traded Player Exception” to replace two (2) or more Traded Players with one (1) or more Replacement Players whose Player Contracts are acquired simultaneously and whose post-trade Salaries for the then-current Salary Cap Year, in the aggregate, are no more than an amount equal to one hundred percent (100%) of the aggregated pre-trade Salaries of the Traded Players, plus $250,000.

2nd apron teams can't use this.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#68 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:10 pm

SLCceltic wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

They can trade a player for a player or players making less or equal money. They can attach picks to the trade.
They can’t trade 2 or more players in a single trade and they can not take back more money than they are sending.
There is no penalty they just can’t. If a team makes an aggregated trade then they are hard capped at the Apron.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#69 » by Hal14 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:35 pm

Here's what I'm thinking:

-Between Tillman, Kornet and Queta, 2 of them stay but 1 of them goes.
-Brissett picks up his player option.
-Team picks up Hauser's option
-We let Svi sign elsewhere
-Everyone else is back

That leaves just 2 open roster spots. We'll probably go into training camp with only 14 guys under contract - fill that last spot via training camp battle - or leave the last roster spot open (like we did for most of this season, for flexibility and $ savings).

Which only leaves 1 roster spot to fill. I figure we fill it with some bench guy on a minimum contract. No idea who it might be yet.

Then we draft someone in the 2nd round - put them on a 2-way. Who gets the other 2-way spots? You could bring JD and Peterson back butJD has already been on a 2-way for 2 yrs so he will probably try and sign elsewhere. And Peterson will be kind of old for a 2-way - but I could see him getting 1 of those spots.

It'll be a boring offseason. When the roster this this good with this much talent, this roster construction is this good, most of the guys are entering or in their prime. Depth and talent at every position, you don't want to rock the boat too much..major changes (like adding a guy with a $25 mil salary) are not needed, and we can't afford to add more high salary guys anyways (without all the $ being allocated to our top 5 guys.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,752

Post#70 » by Celts17Pride » Wed May 8, 2024 1:38 pm

Hal14 wrote:Here's what I'm thinking:

-Everyone else is back

That leaves just 2 open roster spots. We'll probably go into training camp with only 14 guys under contract - fill that last spot via training camp battle - or leave the last roster spot open (like we did for most of this season, for flexibility and $ savings).

Which only leaves 1 roster spot to fill. I figure we fill it with some bench guy on a minimum contract. No idea who it might be yet.

Then we draft someone in the 2nd round - put them on a 2-way. Who gets the other 2-way spots? You could bring JD and Peterson back butJD has already been on a 2-way for 2 yrs so he will probably try and sign elsewhere. And Peterson will be kind of old for a 2-way - but I could see him getting 1 of those spots.

It'll be a boring offseason. When the roster this this good with this much talent, this roster construction is this good, most of the guys are entering or in their prime. Depth and talent at every position, you don't want to rock the boat too much..major changes (like adding a guy with a $25 mil salary) are not needed, and we can't afford to add more high salary guys anyways (without all the $ being allocated to our top 5 guys.

Brissett could decline and go to a team with more playing time opportunity (think Lamar Stevens). Kornet is the only one to worry about. What is his price?
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#71 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:40 pm

-Everyone else is back

So that would include us trading the 30th pick.
I really hope we can get Tillman and Kornet back. And I like Queta as well but I think you are right. 2 out of those 3.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM

Post#72 » by Hal14 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:47 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

For whom?

Can't we trade him for a 2nd Round pick?

Sure. But that is highly unlikely to happen. Since we just traded a 2nd round pick to get him. Would make no sense for us to trade him for a 2nd rounder after he's only been here for 2 months.

And it's not like we'd be able to then go and sign a FA (or trade for a guy) with that same $4 mil salary slot. If we trade Springer for a pick, that $4 mil salary slot disappears. And we'd only be able to fill that roster spot (via trade or FA signing) with a guy making a $2 mil minimum contract so it would be pretty much pointless. Any guy we get for $2 mil or less to fill that spot will almost definitely be a worse player than Springer is so you save a few bucks but you're making the team worse.

Brad traded for him for a reason.

Springer has shown good potential in limited minutes he's gotten in Boston. And he's going to be even better next season, since he'll actually have a full offseason and full training camp with the team, a full preseason..more time to get used to our systems, schemes, learn where he's supposed to be on the floor, and more time to work with our development staff (which has done a great job with guys like Hauser, Kornet, Pritchard, Grant, etc.) and next season he'll be 22 (was 21 this past season) so further along in his development and closer to his prime, closer to the age where many NBA players really start to find their groove.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#73 » by Hal14 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:00 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

-Everyone else is back

So that would include us trading the 30th pick.
I really hope we can get Tillman and Kornet back. And I like Queta as well but I think you are right. 2 out of those 3.

Yeah I figure we'll probably just trade pick 30 for multiple 2nd round picks (some might be in this draft, some might be in future drafts)..

And I'd like to bring all 3 of those bigs back but it just doesn't seem super realistic to have 3 guys on your bench who all play the same position, all somewhat similar in age, somewhat similar in ability level, all are FA (Queta is basically a FA since his contract in non-guaranteed) and all 3 of them return to the team. Seems farfetched.. Which is why I hope (realistically) we bring 2 of them back..
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,963

Post#74 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 8, 2024 2:03 pm

Tier 1: Guys on the roster because the team wants them to play regularly.
Tier 2: Guys on the roster because the team wants them available to play if needed.
Tier 3: Guys on the roster because the team thinks they'll be helpful in future seasons, perhaps even next year.

Tier 1 has 9 guys, if you count Kornet.
Tier 2 has 3 guys, if you count neither Kornet nor Queta. (Brissett, Tillman, Svi)
Tier 3 has 3 guys, if you count Queta. (Queta, Springer, Walsh)

The guys in Tier 1 are all keepers who would be hard to replace, especially given second apron CBA difficulties.
The guys in TIer 3 are all under contract.
The guys most likely to be gone are in Tier 2. That said:

-- Tillman is a Tier 1 talent, and the team recently traded assets for him. If he's gone, it's because he wants to be.
-- Brissett has a player option.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,675

Post#75 » by Homerclease » Wed May 8, 2024 2:05 pm

Svi is gone, Kornet probably priced himself off the team, Davidson gets an NBA contract next year and they draft a big to develop to take Luke’s role
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#76 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:06 pm

At what point can the Celtics trade Queta?
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#77 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:07 pm

Homerclease wrote:Svi is gone, Kornet probably priced himself off the team, Davidson gets an NBA contract next year and they draft a big to develop to take Luke’s role

I will cry if we can’t bring Kornet back. I hope I can dry my tears with a banner.
Sign here
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,675

Post#78 » by Homerclease » Wed May 8, 2024 2:09 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Svi is gone, Kornet probably priced himself off the team, Davidson gets an NBA contract next year and they draft a big to develop to take Luke’s role

I will cry if we can’t bring Kornet back. I hope I can dry my tears with a banner.

Guy is gonna get paid this offseason, for a journeyman who’s never gotten a bag in his career this may be his one and only shot.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#79 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:14 pm

Homerclease wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Guy is gonna get paid this offseason, for a journeyman who’s never gotten a bag in his career this may be his one and only shot.

Yeah. He has really shown his value for sure.
Sign here
SLCceltic
Analyst

Post#80 » by SLCceltic » Wed May 8, 2024 7:32 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Nah that's one of the penalties for being above the 2nd apron.

They can trade a player for a player or players making less or equal money. They can attach picks to the trade.
They can’t trade 2 or more players in a single trade and they can not take back more money than they are sending.
There is no penalty they just can’t. If a team makes an aggregated trade then they are hard capped at the Apron.

Thanks alot for the breakdown !

I am still confused about the bolded statement. So you CAN make an aggregated trade but penalized with hardcap, or cannot make aggregated trade under AnY circumstance ?

We are way above aLL aprons
ROYALGREEN

Return to Boston Celtics