ImageImageImage

You Can't Spell Bucks Without Suck! Victory Cigar vs MIL 3/20

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Who smokes the big cigar?

Tatum
31%
Brown
5%
White
15%
KP
1%
Horford
1%
Pritchard
44%
Tillman
No votes
Kornet
No votes
Svi
1%
Other/Coach/Team
1%

Total votes: 93

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,484

Re: You Can't Spell Bucks Without Suck! Victory Cigar vs MIL 3/20 

Post#81 » by Gant » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:40 pm

It's a matter of pace. The Celtics have a great offense because they have so many weapons and put pressure on the defense. When they leisurely walk the ball up and repeatedly go iso, they hand a gift to the other team.

One important question was answered: Can Pritchard stay on the floor against the Bucks?

Also, strong D by Jaylen Brown on Damian Lillard, who cooked everybody else except Derrick White. Lillard was burning the big defenders.

Read on Twitter
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,883

Post#82 » by Green89 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:13 pm

Gant wrote:It's a matter of pace. The Celtics have a great offense because they have so many weapons and put pressure on the defense. When they leisurely walk the ball up and repeatedly go iso, they hand a gift to the other team.

One important question was answered: Can Pritchard stay on the floor against the Bucks?

Also, strong D by Jaylen Brown on Damian Lillard, who cooked everybody else except Derrick White. Lillard was burning the big defenders.

Read on Twitter

Add Jrue to the defensive mix in the playoffs, and one of Jrue, White, or Brown will be defending him most times. Not concerned about Dame.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,857

Post#83 » by KillahGhostface » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:20 pm

It didn’t cost the team the game, but Tatum was LAST on the team in usage in the third quarter at 7.1%, below Tillman lmao. Dude was cooking, and then just was camped off ball the whole quarter, and lost his rhythm. That’s not something that can happen in the playoffs, and I don’t really expect it to be an issue.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,671

Post#84 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:29 pm

Honestly I don't take too much from this game at all. Celtics had things pretty much under control the whole night. The start of the 4th quarter was rough but Mazzulla had a lineup of Tatum, White, Pritchard, Tillman and Kornet (who had an uncharacteristic really rough game last night). You won't see that lineup in the playoffs. The Bucks cut the lead from 18 points down to like 12 points. The Bucks then just got hot from 3. Celtics prevailed.

Just another Wednesday night in the NBA.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,545

Post#85 » by shackles10 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:47 pm

Joe messed around and about found out. Tatum too. I'm not criticizing either because Joe was tinkering and if this was role reversal it'd be seen as a fake comeback. No way we see some of those combos in the playoffs. No Giannis so hard to gauge all this, but also with Giannis we don't run some of those combos and he's not draining 3's like Portis was either. Let them worry about all the locker-room/mental aspects of if the win deserves an asterisk or not. We got the win, that's all I know.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,446

Post#86 » by BK_2020 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:19 pm

Gant wrote:It's a matter of pace. The Celtics have a great offense because they have so many weapons and put pressure on the defense. When they leisurely walk the ball up and repeatedly go iso, they hand a gift to the other team.

Read on Twitter

Maybe Jaylen actually played some defense in the 1st and 4th quarters when I didn't watch but what I saw was Jaylen predictably getting obliterated by screens and Dame just walking into the paint with no resistance. Either that or Dame getting free points off of silly fouls on jumpers.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#87 » by BK_2020 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:20 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:It didn’t cost the team the game, but Tatum was LAST on the team in usage in the third quarter at 7.1%, below Tillman lmao. Dude was cooking, and then just was camped off ball the whole quarter, and lost his rhythm. That’s not something that can happen in the playoffs, and I don’t really expect it to be an issue.

Yeah it was like that one Kobe game where he passed every time to make some passive aggressive point about how he's not a ballhog, except Tatum wasn't making any points.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,659

Post#88 » by Homerclease » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:42 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:It didn’t cost the team the game, but Tatum was LAST on the team in usage in the third quarter at 7.1%, below Tillman lmao. Dude was cooking, and then just was camped off ball the whole quarter, and lost his rhythm. That’s not something that can happen in the playoffs, and I don’t really expect it to be an issue.

I thought they got good looks most of the night, even in the 4th. Lousy game from KP, guy was wide open on all his 3’s and couldn’t make the bucks pay for any of it. He sticks a few of his open looks in the 4th and we’re getting Thanasis highlights instead of debating the Celtics being able to close.

Also this game showcases why they got dame to begin with. Just an unreal display of shot making in the second half. When he came out and hit two straight deep threes to start the third quarter I was already saying “uh-oh” in my head. Guy was cooking after that no matter what the C’s threw at him. I thought Tillman did great on Portis in the early 4th and then Bobby just buried like 3 contested turnaround jumpers in a row. What can you do? You forced the bucks into the least efficient shot in the game and Portis did a hell of a job. Those two caught fire in the 4th while the Celtics got clean looks for White and KP who just couldn’t find the bottom of the cup for a bit.

Now I thought both the Jays could’ve been a little more aggressive attacking the basket while the lead was slipping, but they were making the right basketball read which is what you want really. Team missed Jrue and Hauser who are two of their best zone busters. Hauser for obvious reasons and Jrue just has the knack for finding soft spots in zone coverages for open mid rangers.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,195

Post#89 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:20 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:So much negativity towards the cs here.

They won a game in march when they could have folded
Without jrue
Without a secondary bench scorer in Sam
With KP rounding back into form
JT having a brain fart quarter
Bucks getting white hot in the 4th
Refs wanting a close finish game.
Celtics trying a few new things

And they still won.

team hasn't needed/used excuses all season. Why start now?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM

Post#90 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:22 pm

chrisab123 wrote:The game doesn't count though. Middleton was there but Giannis wasn't so if you add Giannis 30 points then the Celtics lost by 27 at home - Bucks Fans on Real GM Logic

you're on the right track, but it's simpler than that:
this win doesn't count because the Bucks didn't have Middleton in 2022.
That's the mistake. Common misconception.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,959

Post#91 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:26 pm

31to6 wrote:

Without jrue

And they still won.

IM not making excuses, just pointing out the craziness of some of the fans acting like its the end of the world that we won a close game.
31to6
RealGM

Post#92 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:34 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Without jrue

And they still won.

IM not making excuses, just pointing out the craziness of some of the fans acting like its the end of the world that we won a close game.

Tatum drove for two clutch scores (one --> FTs, one --> layup) and Jaylen hit two clutch FTs. I of course wanted them to bludgeon the Bucks, but can settle for that outcome!
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 11,037

Post#93 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:03 pm

Kornet double bigs are super rough. The only double lineups should be KP/X or Horford/KP.
31to6
RealGM

Post#94 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:29 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:Kornet double bigs are super rough. The only double lineups should be KP/X or Horford/KP.

small sample size and I don't have the #s, but hasn't KP/Luke been pretty effective so far?
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#95 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:36 pm

BK_2020 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Maybe Jaylen actually played some defense in the 1st and 4th quarters when I didn't watch but what I saw was Jaylen predictably getting obliterated by screens and Dame just walking into the paint with no resistance. Either that or Dame getting free points off of silly fouls on jumpers.

Defensive matchup data wouldn't indicate he got wiped out by an uncalled illegal screen and unable to recover to his man after being the primary defender on Dame. Dame scoring on the big or whoever rotated to him would then count against the big/said player. He was however great defending Dame in the 1st.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#96 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:54 pm

I'm saddened to report that our SRS plummeted from 4th to 5th all-time after last night's debacle.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,621

Post#97 » by reload141 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:26 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:
Bleedsgreen wrote:
Bleedsgreen wrote:Bruins fans were saying the same thing last year.....

Should also say the Phoenix Suns Fans circa 2020-2021 too. Then they traded for that final piece KD and look where they are now....

Yeah you’re really off here as usual.

When we trade Tatum and build around Jrue this team is going to be amazing. Sorry but those are the facts, Mate.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#98 » by BK_2020 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:54 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Defensive matchup data wouldn't indicate he got wiped out by an uncalled illegal screen and unable to recover to his man after being the primary defender on Dame. Dame scoring on the big or whoever rotated to him would then count against the big/said player. He was however great defending Dame in the 1st.

Not just scoring on the big but when Jaylen meets a screen, legal or illegal, the Celtics defense has to play 4 on 5 for the remainder of the possession because Jaylen just kinda walks behind the ball until it's offense again.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,574

Post#99 » by bisme37 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,574

Post#100 » by bisme37 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:13 pm

I can't embed this video but it's from NBATV and it's titled:

"Celtics utilize player movement, spacing to open up 3's vs. Bucks.
The Celtics hit 18 3's to fend off the Bucks, but the shots they took were created – not forced."

https://www.nba.com/watch/video/celtics-3-pointers-bucks-created-not-forced?lid=r6qysasrzr7v&cid=nba%3Adynpage%3Aown%3Aemail%3Adaily%3Alink%3Aeg%3Anl%3Aeng%3At-crm%3AUS%3Aen%3A20240321:DAILY_NEWSLETTER%3A&lctg=60131c9357e5b245cceedcd4

Much better analysis than ESPN where they act like taking open 3's is a fatal flaw and that we'd be making 100% of our shots and be a better team if we took only 2's.

Return to Boston Celtics