ImageImageImage

Celts Overthrow Monarchy! Victory Cigar vs SAC 4/5

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Who smokes the big cigar?

Tatum
6%
Jrue
2%
KP
31%
Horford
No votes
Hauser
2%
Pritchard
32%
Kornet
2%
Tillman
23%
Svi
No votes
Other/Coach/Team
3%

Total votes: 65

Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,268

Re: Celts Overthrow Monarchy! Victory Cigar vs SAC 4/5 

Post#41 » by Sweet Serenity » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:03 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
I'm never talking about one game. We are probably the most talented team in the league, yet are terrible in close games maybe 75% of the time? Been watching this guy for almost two years and still haven't seen him coach a good game.

Maybe it's your TV. :lol:

Willing to put my track record on hoops takes up with anyone here.

I've never really bashed a head coach before. Other than Mark Jackson, and that was mostly because all the people I knew on or around the Warriors and Kings constantly talked about what a major league **** the guy was.

Joe is a rock bottom coach. Once of the worst I have ever seen in the NBA. Incompetent, stubborn, unqualified.

How about toning down that inflated ego of yours ?
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,491

Post#42 » by Gant » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:06 am

Pop quiz: What team has the longest winning streak in the league?

Here's a hint:

Read on Twitter
seiffert82
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#43 » by seiffert82 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:22 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
I'm never talking about one game. We are probably the most talented team in the league, yet are terrible in close games maybe 75% of the time? Been watching this guy for almost two years and still haven't seen him coach a good game.

Maybe it's your TV.

I've never really bashed a head coach before. Other than Mark Jackson, and that was mostly because all the people I knew on or around the Warriors and Kings constantly talked about what a major league **** the guy was.

Joe is a rock bottom coach. Once of the worst I have ever seen in the NBA. Incompetent, stubborn, unqualified.

Yet the entire team respect him, and he's managed to get career best form out of a number of players. You don't fluke your way to a career 74% winning record and the statistical dominance we've displayed this season if you're incompetent. You just don't like his approach.

I understand the frustration in our ability to close out close games. Ultimately he will be judged by whether or not we win the championship this season.

But happy for you to tell me who the 20 or 25 better coaches are in the NBA these last two seasons and why.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,487

Post#44 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:36 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Maybe it's your TV. :lol:

Feel free to talk hoops anytiiiiiiime now.

And may I suggest doing it from the shallow end of the pool?

Thanks in advance.
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect

Post#45 » by Sweet Serenity » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:38 am

seiffert82 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Maybe it's your TV.

Yet the entire team respect him, and he's managed to get career best form out of a number of players. You don't fluke your way to a career 74% winning record and the statistical dominance we've displayed this season if you're incompetent. You just don't like his approach.

I understand the frustration in our ability to close out close games. Ultimately he will be judged by whether or not we win the championship this season.

But happy for you to tell me who the 20 or 25 better coaches are in the NBA these last two seasons and why.

He complains like a teenage girl when he talks about Joe :lol:
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,482

Post#46 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:08 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Maybe it's your TV. :lol:

Stick to the game. This isn't allowed.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#47 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:10 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
seiffert82 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

He complains like a teenage girl when he talks about Joe :lol:

Ok, so you are taking this too far. Officially warning you.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#48 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:12 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Sweet Serenity wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I don't know or care what you two have going on but keep it off the board! This ends here.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#49 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:15 am

I can't tell if we won or lost because lately, the GT feels like we are on a losing streak! :nonono: :banghead:
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#50 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:18 am

seiffert82 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Maybe it's your TV.

It's not complicated, IMO. Coaching really only matters in crunch time and in the playoffs. We have consistently underperformed in both of those things during Joe's tenure. Pretty much every fan in the league understands that this team struggles in tight games. Because we do!

The playoffs last year? Two of the three teams we played were 7th and 8th seeds, and we didn't look that great against either of them, repeadtedly blowing leads down the stretch of close games. The .500 Hawks took us to 6 and Spoelstra straight-up shoved Joe and Jaylen in a locker with a shorthanded team full of g-leaguers, has-beens, never-weres, and never-will-bes. Just an absolute beatdown on that coaching front. Jaylen probably had the worst playoff series an All-NBA player has had in the history of the game, and Mazzulla was powerless to adjust in any way.

Do you remember that series? When the Hawks came into our own building for a Game 7 that we were lucky to even make it to and gave us one of the most humiliating losses in the history of the franchise? There were probably 10 players in that series would have been better coaches than Joe.

Even against the Sixers, we arguably won only after some of his vets had a locker room mutiny to force him to start Timelord for Games 6 and 7.

This guy has done nothing to impress me at any point, and has possibly cost us a title already. I just hope we survive him this time.
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect

Post#51 » by Sweet Serenity » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:19 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Sweet Serenity wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Getting amped up over game 77 of the year when we have the #1 seed locked up & Joe rests the starters for basically the whole 4th quarter ain’t it bud.
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by Sweet Serenity » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:24 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
seiffert82 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

It's not complicated, IMO. Coaching really only matters in crunch time and in the playoffs. We have consistently underperformed in both of those things during Joe's tenure. Pretty much every fan in the league understands that this team struggles in tight games. Because we do!

The playoffs last year? Two of the three teams we played were 7th and 8th seeds, and we didn't look that great against either of them, repeadtedly blowing leads down the stretch of close games. The .500 Hawks took us to 6 and Spoelstra straight-up shoved Joe and Jaylen in a locker with a shorthanded team full of g-leaguers, has-beens, never-weres, and never-will-bes. Just an absolute beatdown on that coaching front. Jaylen probably had the worst playoff series an All-NBA player has had in the history of the game, and Mazzulla was powerless to adjust in any way.

Do you remember that series? When the Hawks came into our own building for a Game 7 that we were lucky to even make it to and gave us one of the most humiliating losses in the history of the franchise? There were probably 10 players in that series would have been better coaches than Joe.

Even against the Sixers, we arguably won only after some of his vets had a locker room mutiny to force him to start Timelord for Games 6 and 7.

This guy has done nothing to impress me at any point, and has possibly cost us a title already. I just hope we survive him this time.

Oh wow a guy who was put into a head coaching position a week before training camp got out-coached in his first post season by veteran head coaches …

What an interesting & insightful observation !
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#53 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:27 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Sweet Serenity wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I don't know or care what you two have going on but keep it off the board! This ends here.

What we have is a handful of posters repeatedly getting personal with me because they doesn't like my basketball takes. Not going to tell you guys how to mod, but it seems pretty cut and dry to me. I'm talking hoops, and they're not.

Why is it my job to tell him to cut the **** with that, and why do mods only jump in after I do?

Edit: Didn't see you get on him for it in the posts just above. Thanks for that.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#54 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:36 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
seiffert82 wrote:Yet the entire team respect him, and he's managed to get career best form out of a number of players. You don't fluke your way to a career 74% winning record and the statistical dominance we've displayed this season if you're incompetent. You just don't like his approach.

Oh wow a guy who was put into a head coaching position a week before training camp got out-coached in his first post season by veteran head coaches …

What an interesting & insightful observation !

I think we are all aware of how we ended up with the dude. What I am saying is that he can't coach a lick. Not just tonight. Every night. It's just not as apparent when we are beating up on bad and/or shorthanded teams in the regular season.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#55 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:47 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Sweet Serenity wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Getting amped up over game 77 of the year when we have the #1 seed locked up & Joe rests the starters for basically the whole 4th quarter ain’t it bud.

I'm a big picture guy whose takes move like glaciers. I don't do this up-and-down game-to-game recency bias thing that a lot of sports fans do. Assuming that you aren't just some new poster that miraculously found this fading Internet 1.0 discussion board out of nowhere a few months ago, you have probably seen that under previous handles here.

I feel like we do this with a new topic every year on this board, where I am getting dragged just for stating the obvious. Yes, trade Al Jefferson for KG. No, don't max a 5'8" no defense ballhog who will never last. Yes, David Lee is asswater. Yes, should have tanked harder at the start of this rebuild. Yes, for a good player, Jaylen is actually fairly limited with a few big weaknesses.

I see what I see. I'm definitely not always right, but this one is clear as day to me. Joe Mazzulla is not a good NBA head coach. Hope we don't find that out the hard way... again.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,327

Post#56 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:49 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:The playoffs last year? Two of the three teams we played were 7th and 8th seeds, and we didn't look that great against either of them, repeadtedly blowing leads down the stretch of close games. The .500 Hawks took us to 6 and Spoelstra straight-up shoved Joe and Jaylen in a locker with a shorthanded team full of g-leaguers, has-beens, never-weres, and never-will-bes. Just an absolute beatdown on that coaching front. Jaylen probably had the worst playoff series an All-NBA player has had in the history of the game, and Mazzulla was powerless to adjust in any way.

By that logic Spoelstra sucks because he was powerless to adjust in any way when LeBron was stinking up the joint in the 2011 finals.
seiffert82
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#57 » by seiffert82 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:50 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
seiffert82 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Yep, we all saw all of that. Everyone. Rookie coach led a young team to a close series loss against a red-hot underdog. We shouldn't have choked like that. Brown and Tatum were ordinary throughout that finals series.

Not the first time that will happen with a young team and it sure won't be the last.

Your assessment of Mazzulla's coaching ability is complete hyperbole, with zero objectivity. That's your prerogative as a fan, but it doesn't make your assertion that he's incompetent and unqualified correct. You just don't like his approach.

He empowers his players to play ball and make their own decisions. We move the ball well and generate more open looks than any team I've seen. That's good coaching.

At the end of the day we will be judged by how we close out tough games. Both the coach and the key players are equally responsible for that.

The coach has given this squad every opportunity and the structure to succeed.

In this game he gave his bench the opportunity to succeed under pressure. That's good coaching.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#58 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:10 am

seiffert82 wrote:Yep, we all saw all of that. Everyone. Rookie coach led a young team to a close series loss against a red-hot underdog. We shouldn't have choked like that. Brown and Tatum were ordinary throughout that finals series.

Not the first time that will happen with a young team and it sure won't be the last.

Your assessment of Mazzulla's coaching ability is complete hyperbole, with zero objectivity. That's your prerogative as a fan, but it doesn't make your assertion that he's incompetent and unqualified correct. You just don't like his approach.

He empowers his players to play ball and make their own decisions. We move the ball well and generate more open looks than any team I've seen. That's good coaching.

At the end of the day we will be judged by how we close out tough games. Both the coach and the key players are equally responsible for that.

The coach has given this squad every opportunity and the structure to succeed.

I disagree with that. I have laid out a pretty extensive case against Joe in the last week or two. Some of you just disagree with it. Time and again in crunch time, we are NOT moving the ball. His KC Jones/Ty Lue of just rolling out the ball and letting the guys play has been nowhere near as successful in tight games, where we continually look disjointed and unprepared.

Just since the start of last year's playoffs, this dude has about 30 games where it's just... why is he not calling timeout? Why is he sticking with a lineup that is getting bodied for 4-5 possessions too long? Why aren't there set plays? Why is Tatum yet again just dribbling to nowhere and flinging up a long fadeaway against 3 defenders at the end of the game?

I'm at a point with the dude where I don't even think it is just a matter of having a hands-off philosophy (that clearly doesn't match his roster). I think he doesn't even know what to do. No plays to call. No counters to make. Just figure it out, fellas. Shoot another 3 or five.

It's not like he needs to be Popovich or anything. We had 17 straight years with Doc and Brad calling slick out of timeout plays and making the necessary adjustments, plus a year of a solid Udoka/Will Hardy tandem right after that. When have you seen that with Joe?
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#59 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:25 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:The playoffs last year? Two of the three teams we played were 7th and 8th seeds, and we didn't look that great against either of them, repeadtedly blowing leads down the stretch of close games. The .500 Hawks took us to 6 and Spoelstra straight-up shoved Joe and Jaylen in a locker with a shorthanded team full of g-leaguers, has-beens, never-weres, and never-will-bes. Just an absolute beatdown on that coaching front. Jaylen probably had the worst playoff series an All-NBA player has had in the history of the game, and Mazzulla was powerless to adjust in any way.

By that logic Spoelstra sucks because he was powerless to adjust in any way when LeBron was stinking up the joint in the 2011 finals.

I think Carlisle definitely outcoached Spo in that series, but let's not go too far with the false equivalence here. Jaylen played like he had polio against a shorthanded Heat team that was nowhere near as good as the 2010-11 Mavs were.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,327

Post#60 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:52 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

I think Carlisle definitely outcoached Spo in that series, but let's not go too far with the false equivalence here. Jaylen played like he had polio against a shorthanded Heat team that was nowhere near as good as the 2010-11 Mavs were.

You blame Mazzulla for his inability to adjust the role of one of his star player during a playoff series where they were slumping in his first real playoff run as a head coach.That the exact same thing happened to the guy that is considered the best coach in the NBA (who then came back to win the following two NBA titles) isn't a false equivalency, it's a fairly relevant data point. You can quibble that James was slightly better during that series against a slightly stouter defense but considering his baseline is so much higher than Brown's he was at least as far off his game as Jaylen if not more so.

By the way, to use your own terms, Popovich got bodied by Frank Ntilikina when he was coaching Jaylen Brown. Guess he doesn't pass your test for good coaching either.

Captain_Caveman wrote:I'm at a point with the dude where I don't even think it is just a matter of having a hands-off philosophy (that clearly doesn't match his roster). I think he doesn't even know what to do. No plays to call. No counters to make. Just figure it out, fellas. Shoot another 3 or five.

It's not like he needs to be Popovich or anything. We had 17 straight years with Doc and Brad calling slick out of timeout plays and making the necessary adjustments, plus a year of a solid Udoka/Will Hardy tandem right after that. When have you seen that with Joe?

The numbers certainly don't support your opinion: https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news/nba-study-which-nba-coach-is-the-best-at-calling-plays/

Return to Boston Celtics