ImageImageImage

Heat Scorch C's From 3! Game 2 Loss vs MIA 4/24 (Series tied 1-1)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Re: Heat Scorch C's From 3! Game 2 Loss vs MIA 4/24 (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#501 » by Triple7 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 pm

ThePigeon wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
ThePigeon wrote:
Why?

We shouldn't have lost this game (or any game in this series) to a depleted Heat. The only way we could lose is if we come unprepared - and it is all about Joe right now

Oh, I thought it was obvious - because anytime we lose we have 20+ page threads filled with overreactions, people whining, complaining, acting like the sky is falling, acting like the world is ending, and we need to fire the coach, come up with JB trade ideas..it's toxic..it's not fun to read pages and pages of negativity (case in point, the part of your post that's in bold)..I'd rather do something else that''s more enjoyable and less stressful.

Everybody is freaking out, panicking over 1 game.

I'm a big fan but we need to have some perspective here. It really doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things if the team of sweaty men we root for throws the ball into the hoop more times than the other team of sweaty rich men. It's not worth it to get so worked up over this stuff..

Bottom line, if we win the championship, I'll be pretty excited. If we don't win it, I'll be a little bummed out but life goes on - I'll go to work the next day, and it'll be basically like nothing happened..I'll move on with my life. But I'll definitely try to avoid this place - because being around such a high volume of toxic negativity where so many people are all complaining and writing novels about how the coach sucks, the team sucks, blah blah, is just not fun and not good for my mental health.

It is only basketball, but I am a fan. I want to win it all, all the time. I get excited when we have a great team that can win it all.
As we see from this team, it is talented but flawed. And I am afraid that what happened last year will happen again. This game was played like Miami controlled our soul. We couldn't win it if we would play for 24 hours straight

IMO it is not overreaction but a creeping fear. I had no doubt we will easily beat Miami. Not anymore. It won't be easy.

A feeling that even when the heat’s lead was just 8-10pts, it feels like we are down 20, and can’t seem to trim it down
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,496

Post#502 » by shackles10 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:10 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:I will allow any and all criticism of Joe.

Also, can we start a petition for no more TNT games? Feels like almost every loss this season came on their games.

It's a little ironic because before last game Stan has been one of the few national broadcasters that doesn't take a dump on us every chance he/she gets so it's refreshing. But wins are more important than suffering through Doris and her bull so I second the motion for petition.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#503 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 pm

All right so it looks like many people believe the reason we gave up a lot of open threes was because of "drop coverage" and we would've shut the heat down if we "switched" so let's look at how these open threes actually happened.

Exh 1. Jaylen decides not to guard anyone. Not really the fault of "drop defense."

Exh 2. Horford thinks the game is too hard for Jaquez so he won't guard him.

Exh 3. Jaylen where are you?

Exh 4. Jaylen decides to help off the corner three so Porzingis isn't defending Herro one on one in the paint (pro tip: do not do this).

Exh 5. Jaylen Brown special. After being screened Jaylen decides he's had enough of playing defense this possession and just hangs out in the paint.

Exh 6. Horford doesn't switch and doubles Jovic, leaving Duncan Robinson wide open for a three.

Exh 7. Here's a slightly more subtle breakdown. Herro is slowly bringing the ball up but he's cross-matched on Porzingis while Jaylen is matched on Bam who's way back in the back court. Jaylen here should tag and switch on Herro so Porzingis is not left out on an island but that would take effort.

Exh 8. Horford either has to run his ass back and defend the paint or White has to. Horford decides he's just gonna double the ball so it's now Pritchard who's guarding both the paint and the wing shooter. Open three.

Exh 9. This is probably inevitable with Pritchard playing. Pritchard a. gets wiped out by the screen, and b. Horford isn't going to leave Bam and let Pritchard guard him, so Jaylen has to rotate (which he does poorly) and result is an open three for Caleb Martin.

Exh 10. Pritchard = double coverage and everyone scrambling. I don't care he scores 30 against the Wizards. He needs to go.

Afaik these are all of the open three point attempts from the 1st quarter. I guess we might have stopped one of these threes by choosing to switch the pick and roll instead of dropping but at the cost of Pritchard guarding Bam steamrolling to the basket.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#504 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:14 pm

More from the 1st quarter.

People for some reason are really concerned that Porzingis can't stop scrubs in the paint and double for no reason.

Pritchard getting utterly destroyed by a screen. I don't know if a better screen navigator would've been able to meaningfully contest but this is just embarrassing. This is also where you just can't have the big switch and leave Pritchard alone with Bam.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,047

Post#505 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:36 pm

BK_2020 wrote:More from the 1st quarter.

People for some reason are really concerned that Porzingis can't stop scrubs in the paint and double for no reason.

Pritchard getting utterly destroyed by a screen. I don't know if a better screen navigator would've been able to meaningfully contest but this is just embarrassing. This is also where you just can't have the big switch and leave Pritchard alone with Bam.

You can scram-switch PP into a wing. In that last pic, KP covers Herro, JB sinks to cover Bam roll, PP peels to the Martin. We've done it before.

I'll take the Bam midranger or bullying JB over a wide open Herro three.

The 1st and 4th Qs were disgusting from an effort standpoint. JB was checked out defensively in the 1st. Horford not much better. Then Jrue joined the party in the 4th.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#506 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 pm

Quarter 2.

Oh look, is this a switch on a pick and roll?

Jrue just stops playing d.

Jaylen Brown specialty where he gets beat on a screen then just slowly jogs behind the ball. He could've literally jogged to Highsmith and still have time to contest his shot.

White doubling Jovic leaving it to Hauser to rush over to tag Bam and leaving the shooter open

I don't even know what this is. Is Porzingis playing zone?

Jaylen had to rotate over to the opposite corner instead of standing around and watching. Tatum can't leave Bam or it's a dunk. Porzingis obviously can't rotate there. Hauser ends up hustling over but not nearly in time.

This is just bull. Bam basically is a lead blocker here and like an old school fullback, clears out room for Herro.

Why are we quad-teaming Herro on the drive?

Jovic moving screen.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#507 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:55 pm

They're selective on who to close out hard on, esp on ATB3s. It's been the strategy all season."Have to give up something." But some of that above is just plain laziness.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#508 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm

Q3.
Jrue pauses for some reason. The effort is so bad it almost looks like they are being told not to play defense.

Wtf is this lol. Is this a 0-5 zone?

Porzingis switches then at the last second decides to drop.

On any other night I would say let Caleb Martin shoot but maybe that wasn't a good idea in game 2.

Letting Herro shoot. We are so concerned with Bam that we give up the corner three to even Herro.

Letting people shoot is probably a bad idea but it's not like there wasn't adjustment.

But then they target Pritchard and it's free points all around.

Jaylen Brown campaigning for Defensive Player of the Year.

For Game 2 standards this was a pretty good contest, made shot notwithstanding. Hauser and Tatum were least guilty of bad, awful, horrible lapses.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

Post#509 » by tfmiii » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:39 pm

Yeoman's work BK_2020!

Drop was an issue but the overhelping was worse. And the laziness... Wonder how much was due to offensive woes or frustration with the defensive 'scheme'

Just not prepared or mature

Also can't shake the feeling that the defense game plan left the team figuratively 'on an island'
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#510 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 am

JB defensive masterclass in that 1Q. Set the tone for the team. DPOY campaign was only for regular season unfortunately.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

Post#511 » by tfmiii » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:JB defensive masterclass in that 1Q. Set the tone for the team. DPOY campaign was only for regular season unfortunately.

Too true lol
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#512 » by BK_2020 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am

tfmiii wrote:Yeoman's work BK_2020!

Drop was an issue but the overhelping was worse. And the laziness... Wonder how much was due to offensive woes or frustration with the defensive 'scheme'

Just not prepared or mature

Also can't shake the feeling that the defense game plan left the team figuratively 'on an island'

I think we cut down 75% on wide open threes by not being lazy or plain dumb on defense. Also I think overhelping is a byproduct of laziness. It's easier to pretend you are helping in the paint than to fly out to the perimeter.

Return to Boston Celtics