ImageImageImage

PLAYOFFS, Rnd 2, Gm 2 – Cavaliers (0) @ Celtics (1) – 7PM, Thurs, May 9, 2024

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 92,032

Re: PLAYOFFS, Rnd 2, Gm 2 – Cavaliers (0) @ Celtics (1) – 7PM, Thurs, May 9, 2024 

Post#41 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed May 8, 2024 10:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Defense has to be better. Relying on luck is not a real strategy.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,858

Re: PLAYOFFS, Rnd 2, Gm 2 – Cavaliers (0) @ Celtics (1) – 7PM, Thurs, May 9, 2024 

Post#42 » by KillahGhostface » Wed May 8, 2024 10:25 pm

Read on Twitter
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,389

Post#43 » by fallguy » Wed May 8, 2024 10:27 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, they seem very aware of the need to tighten this up if the post-game comments are accurate.

CLE has no chance without a ton of threes. Which we should be able to cut off.
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,330

Post#44 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Wed May 8, 2024 10:38 pm

She's got the PP in her...

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#45 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed May 8, 2024 11:10 pm

While "researching" shooting efficiency of 20+ pt scorers on title teams (no, this isn't about Tatum :lol:), I stumbled upon this interesting factoid...

Since 1955-56, only three championship teams didn't have a single 20+ point scorer in their title run -- 1961 Celtics, 1989 Pistons, and 2014 Spurs.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#46 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed May 8, 2024 11:19 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:While "researching" shooting efficiency of 20+ pt scorers on title teams (no, this isn't about Tatum :lol:), I stumbled upon this interesting factoid...

Since 1955-56, only three championship teams didn't have a single 20+ point scorer in their title run -- 1961 Celtics, 1989 Pistons, and 2014 Spurs.

Anyway...

Here's the list of 20+ point scorers on title teams who shot worse than what Tatum is shooting currently:

24-yo LARRY BIRD and 34-yo MICHAEL JORDAN ARE ON THERE!! Plus a couple of Finals MVPs.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,808

Post#47 » by Celts17Pride » Wed May 8, 2024 11:43 pm

Seems like I’m always defending Celtics players in the Celtics RealGM forum. Strange world we live in. :lol:
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 900

Post#48 » by JimmyFromNz » Wed May 8, 2024 11:52 pm

Personally I find the broader Tatum hand wringing odd. Are we bored? Entitled? Both?

If Jayson shoots 40% for 20+ playoff games then I will be worried. That's never happened in the playoffs, he's shot career bests % in a 60+ win season and the current sample size is 6 games, last years sample size is 20 games at 45%.

In that sample size, the largest determinative of the % drop is 3 pointers. As a result he has taken noticeably less 3's (1.5 from 6 attempts) whilst trying to generate other attempts, move the ball for the clear benefit of the likes of Derrick White who is now being afforded space to nail step in 3s or become more active off the ball - hence the screening role that is being referenced by Joe.

Of course we all want him to make shots, who doesn't, its goes without saying.

But we seem gloss over what else he is doing right now is exactly what we want from a star who is mindful of their role - adjust, defer to the significant talent you're playing beside, and work on the other factors of the game your scoring profile can influence. That is obvious in his broader statistical profile as well as +/- not to mention the bigger picture we're still blowing teams away like we should.

I get we are all infatuated by alphas, like the moment Anthony Edwards is having in the West, but on this team, in these circumstances its exactly what Jayson should be doing until the scoring efficiency inevitably returns.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,302

Post#49 » by Ben-N1ce » Thu May 9, 2024 12:02 am

Why are people trying to protect Tatum. His shot selection sucks. Your are shooting 25% from 3 and taking alot of them then you need stop settling and get to the line. He's done that plenty in the regular season too. He's playing unaggressive passive ball. Get to the line 7-10 times a game you can shoot bad. Strus clamping you down so you spin into dirk 1 footed step backs is a freaking joke. It's not just missing shots it's the type of shots and mindset on offense of settling. He took jumpshots on Tristan Thompson a couple time...i mean he's better than that.
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,737

Post#50 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Thu May 9, 2024 12:04 am

Wish we never did this…..
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/shorts/H8iiHr7hVJg[/youtube]

This bum Baynes
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,069

Post#51 » by exculpatory » Thu May 9, 2024 12:07 am

JimmyFromNz wrote:Personally I find the broader Tatum hand wringing odd. Are we bored? Entitled? Both?

If Jayson shoots 40% for 20+ playoff games then I will be worried. That's never happened in the playoffs, he's shot career bests % in a 60+ win season and the current sample size is 7 games, last years sample size is 20 games at 45%.

In that sample size, the largest determinative of the % drop is 3 pointers. As a result he has taken noticeably less 3's (1.5 from 6 attempts) whilst trying to generate other attempts, move the ball for the clear benefit of the likes of Derrick White who is now being afforded space to nail step in 3s or become more active off the ball - hence the screening role that is being referenced by Joe.

But we seem gloss over what else he is doing right now is exactly what we want from a star who is mindful of their role - adjust, defer to the significant talent you're playing beside, and work on the other factors of the game your scoring profile can influence. That is obvious in his broader statistical profile as well as +/- not to mention the bigger picture we're still blowing teams away like we should.

I get we are all infatuated by alphas, like the moment Anthony Edwards is having in the West, but on this team, in these circumstances its exactly what Jayson should be doing until the scoring efficiency inevitably returns.

Eloquently stated.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#52 » by Fierce1 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:28 am

Ben-N1ce wrote:Why are people trying to protect Tatum. His shot selection sucks. Your are shooting 25% from 3 and taking alot of them then you need stop settling and get to the line. He's done that plenty in the regular season too. He's playing unaggressive passive ball. Get to the line 7-10 times a game you can shoot bad. Strus clamping you down so you spin into dirk 1 footed step backs is a freaking joke. It's not just missing shots it's the type of shots and mindset on offense of settling. He took jumpshots on Tristan Thompson a couple time...i mean he's better than that.

If the trend continues until the east finals and finals then I'm with you.

But I think Tatum is just not taking this stretch of games seriously.

He did fine in the regular season as his shooting %, FGs and 3pt FGs, are higher compared to last season.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#53 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 9, 2024 12:30 am

Ben-N1ce wrote:Why are people trying to protect Tatum. His shot selection sucks. Your are shooting 25% from 3 and taking alot of them then you need stop settling and get to the line. He's done that plenty in the regular season too. He's playing unaggressive passive ball. Get to the line 7-10 times a game you can shoot bad. Strus clamping you down so you spin into dirk 1 footed step backs is a freaking joke. It's not just missing shots it's the type of shots and mindset on offense of settling. He took jumpshots on Tristan Thompson a couple time...i mean he's better than that.

Call for your players to keep improving. Especially your top players. Nothing wrong with that. Don't let other fans tell you how to support your team or what to expect from them. :)
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#54 » by Fierce1 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:32 am

exculpatory wrote:
JimmyFromNz wrote:Personally I find the broader Tatum hand wringing odd. Are we bored? Entitled? Both?

If Jayson shoots 40% for 20+ playoff games then I will be worried. That's never happened in the playoffs, he's shot career bests % in a 60+ win season and the current sample size is 7 games, last years sample size is 20 games at 45%.

Eloquently stated.

I second that.

This current group of Celtics is so talented.

Tatum does not need to score 30 every game.

Like I said earlier, Jayson Tatum can be Magic Johnson this season and the Celts would still win the championship.

We don't need a Larry Bird version of Tatum.

Tatum sharing the ball and doing the little things to help the team win is working as the Cs won comfortably in all 5 Celtic wins in the playoffs so far.
SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,764

Post#55 » by SLCceltic » Thu May 9, 2024 12:38 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

missing 27 OpEN 3s is what's giving them hope ? Rock on Cleveland :rock:
ROYALGREEN
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#56 » by tfmiii » Thu May 9, 2024 1:31 am

COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

Every player misses shots, but when you take poor shots - like JT often does lately - well, you miss more!
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 6,915

Post#57 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Thu May 9, 2024 7:17 am

tfmiii wrote:

COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

Every player misses shots, but when you take poor shots - like JT often does lately - well, you miss more!

I agree that JT could improve his shot selection and that fans should be able to point that out.

I am also going to be patient. Neither JT or JB were primary ball handlers or play makers when they arrived and it's not natural for either. Both have come a long way. While I would like JT to make better shooting decisions, he makes great basketball decisions under great pressure for the most part. It's bound to take a long time to change something that was core to who you were as a player and in the meantime he will continue to make mistakes like all players.

I expect his shot efficiency to return when the change feels more natural and less is going on in his mind.

Also law of averages...but I have zero issue with people pointing out areas of improvement.

Sometimes I just wish they'd also sit back and appreciate the vast majority of the amazing things our players do too.

NOTE: This is not directed at anyone in particular, just in general.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,386

Post#58 » by chrisab123 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:07 am

MrGreenRunsDeep wrote:Wish we never did this…..
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/shorts/H8iiHr7hVJg[/youtube]

This bum Baynes

Thats Hayward. Same player.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#59 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:37 am

It's less about protecting Tatum and more about recognizing what's happening. The Cavs are not switching on Tatum's picks. The result is easy shots for White but Tatum doesn't get free or get mismatches. When Tatum gets the ball in the elbow or the corners they take away the baseline with help. He's getting good looks but they are midrange or pullups and he's missing them.
Like how do you look at this and think Strus is clamping Tatum? You have a 72 inch TV for a reason.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,542

Post#60 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:44 am

This is how White gets free for many of his bucketzz. Cavs are avoiding switching Garland on Tatum at all costs (and Jaylen, but far fewer pnr possessions are run with Jaylen for a reason).

Return to Boston Celtics