ImageImageImage

DOC SUCKS!!!!!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#21 » by Jimmy103 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:12 am

Joselo16 wrote:The argument about GPA logging big minutes is stupid because if we had the 20 point lead going in the fourth maybe they could have sat those minutes then instead of earlier in the game. Also even Tommy made a comment that it was time to put in KG and PP back in the game when Houston was threatening but Doc decided to wait till after Houston took the lead to call a timeout (they kept showing shots of both Pierce and Garnett on the bench during that time). I don't get you guys. You guys rather wait till we lose to complain as opposed to complain while we are winning so we can keep winning. Not that anything we say here will effect the actual team but still I rather Doc correct his mistakes while we are winning.

I heard that exact same thing and couldn't help but think of a Whiner Line caller last season:
"Doc Rivers has no business coaching this team; Tommy Heinsohn could coach the Winchester High School Boys Water Polo team to an NBA Championship."
Joselo16
Veteran
And1: 16

Post#22 » by Joselo16 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:24 am

If Tommy was younger he would be the perfect coach for this team. He seams to have a little relationship with each player and has great knowledge of the game. I don't have anything against DOC but I just feel like his flaws will hurt us in the playoff like they did against Detroit (he didn't play our bench much so he burned out our Boston Three Party).
You have just been Perk'd!!!
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect

Post#23 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:55 am

I know Tommy was a once great coach and player, but I think he gets a little much credit around here. Hubie Brown is twice as senile, but is twice as informative as Tommy when watching a game. Hubie tends to actually break down a game and give a little insight into what an actual NBA coach might be thinking. While Tommy on the other hand is either crying about some sort of call that didn't go the Celtics way or dropping tidbits of basketball gospel like "The Celtics need to run more..." He kind of strikes me as that guy you play pickup with who is convinced that if the ball is passed at least 6 times a possession it will automatically go in the hoop through some sort of fundamental hoosiers magic. He seems to be stuck in the past, where the C's could just fastbreak without running a play all game and still come out on top. The NBA is a lot more complicated these days, and Tommy doesn't realize that.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#24 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:28 am

Jose your argument is a little flawed.

Maybe if we went with a 20 point lead our stars would sit.

We did have a lead that's why we sat them in hope that our bench could hold them off, they couldn't.

So by looking at tonight, it would suggest that by just playing our stars to a 20 point lead in teh fourth we'd have to put our stars back in the fourth to win the game from HOU's comeback.

At best they'd log the same amount of minutes, and most likely more because they'd still have to seal a win.

The goal here is to win comfortably without our stars having to exert a lot of energy. It's unclear what's the best route and that's why there are these forums. But your solution I don't think would of lead to a more desirable outcome, it may just lead to the exact same.

But that's just my take, personally I'm willing to conceed these games by playing starless lineupes and having Pierce,Ray,KG only average 35 mpg. For the rest of the year.

[since it'd be too much to ask for Ray Pierce minutes to be reduced by 3mpg]

I'm confident we can do this and still remain top 3 in the East come playoff time. Very likely top 2 with a close battle with DET for best. I think this should be so because I beleive in the resting for the playoffs...and for the carrer of say Ray Allen's preservation.
Joselo16
Veteran
And1: 16

Post#25 » by Joselo16 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:32 am

celticfan42487 wrote:Jose your argument is a little flawed.

Maybe if we went with a 20 point lead our stars would sit.

We did have a lead that's why we sat them in hope that our bench could hold them off, they couldn't.

So by looking at tonight, it would suggest that by just playing our stars to a 20 point lead in teh fourth we'd have to put our stars back in the fourth to win the game from HOU's comeback.

At best they'd log the same amount of minutes, and most likely more because they'd still have to seal a win.

The goal here is to win comfortably without our stars having to exert a lot of energy. It's unclear what's the best route and that's why there are these forums. But your solution I don't think would of lead to a more desirable outcome, it may just lead to the exact same.

But that's just my take, personally I'm willing to conceed these games by playing starless lineupes and having Pierce,Ray,KG only average 35 mpg. For the rest of the year.

[since it'd be too much to ask for Ray Pierce minutes to be reduced by 3mpg]

I'm confident we can do this and still remain top 3 in the East come playoff time. Very likely top 2 with a close battle with DET for best. I think this should be so because I beleive in the resting for the playoffs...and for the carrer of say Ray Allen's preservation.

Its not really flawed because we had the lead very early giving the rockets enough time to mount a comeback which took them 2 quarters, if we had the lead going into the fourth they would most likely not have enough time to beat us and giving our trio the quarter off.

That said I do want these guys (3) to be well rested for the playoffs so we need better contributions from our bench like Detroit. None of Detroit's starters play more than 35 minutes a game and its due to their bench.
You have just been Perk'd!!!
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,714

Re: DOC SUCKS!!!!! 

Post#26 » by return2glory » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:04 am

Tricky Ricky wrote:Hey guys just got back from the game and I cant stand Doc, his rotations are just awful, when the Rockets were making there run why didnt he put another one of the big three in? A better question why did he wait til the Rockets were up one to finally take a timeout? The funniest part of the game was when the Rockets were up one, Doc was sitting down watching the game and Scal got up taped KG and then KG went near the scorers table to get in the game followed by Rondo standing lol. This guy is plain awful the only sad thing about us being 27-3 is the fact theres no chance hes fired. Im just scared he will blow some close games in the playoffs as hes done in the past.

Opinions?

Doc has done a very god job this year. But I know what you are talking about. We had a 18 point lead at one point and Houston came back and took the lead. We should have beat this team by 15 without TMac. We let them back in the game and Doc should take some blame for that. This wasn't one of his best coached games.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#27 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:26 am

I think it's pretty obvious Doc wasn't coaching like it was game 7 of the finals and going for the kill. We were up big and he tried giving our bench a chance to prove they could play without one of Pierce, Ray or KG in there while holding onto the big lead.

It was a test for our bench to see if they could play like the Spurs bench, Detroit bench, etc. and allow us to limit all 3 of the Big 3's minutes considerably (though the minutes are looking pretty damn good right now, maybe a minute or two less for Ray) as the season goes on and not be forced to keep one of them in at all times. Tonight, the bench failed the test. They showed that they can play well at times, but only when they have an all-star in there to work off.

Maybe by the 2nd half or last 1/4 of the season we'll have a similar game like this, Tony Allen will be healthy and back to what he was prior to his injury and the bench will be able to play well without a star in there to carry them when Doc asks them to.

Tonight wasn't a case of Doc having no clue about basketball; it was a case of him realizing that his team is so good that the regular season is just a tune up for the playoffs and testing how much trust he can put into his bench. For those who have wanted Ray Allen's minutes cut down (myself included, intially anyways, Doc's done far better in the last month), this was Doc trying to do that.

It's very tough to cut his minutes down when you need one of the Big 3 in there and he is already limiting KG's minutes quite a bit. He tried to see if the bench could play together on their own and hold up a big lead, they showed they couldn't tonight. Not a huge deal since they have shown they play quite well defensively and working off one of our stars, but it would have been nice for Doc (and the fans who want our studs minutes in Detroit/SAS territory) to find out he could limit the minutes of our top guys-- even if it came at the expense at an essentially meaningless January 2nd win.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,529

Post#28 » by canman1971 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:48 am

I just read the first post and won't read another. This takes the top for most ridiculous for this season. 27-3. I think some need a new team to route for as they don't know how to enjoy success. Go route for the Knicks so you will have plenty complain about and will never run out of new material.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#29 » by Datruth345 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:01 pm

it comes down to the fact the bench couldn't hold the lead tonight...it will happen

you can't give them the yank because Houston is going on a run, he tried to let them play through it figure it out themselves as nba players, it is still early enough in the season where doc rovers is still learning about his team and the team is learning about itself
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#30 » by wigglestrue » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:24 pm

I know Tommy was a once great coach and player, but I think he gets a little much credit around here. Hubie Brown is twice as senile, but is twice as informative as Tommy when watching a game. Hubie tends to actually break down a game and give a little insight into what an actual NBA coach might be thinking. While Tommy on the other hand is either crying about some sort of call that didn't go the Celtics way or dropping tidbits of basketball gospel like "The Celtics need to run more..." He kind of strikes me as that guy you play pickup with who is convinced that if the ball is passed at least 6 times a possession it will automatically go in the hoop through some sort of fundamental hoosiers magic. He seems to be stuck in the past, where the C's could just fastbreak without running a play all game and still come out on top. The NBA is a lot more complicated these days, and Tommy doesn't realize that.

No, give Tommy the credit he deserves.

If you mic'd up Hubie on the sidelines as he coached, he'd be constantly bitching about the refs. And during timeouts, he'd probably say simple stuff like "You need to run more!" Tommy commentates more like he's actually coaching the game, not merely commentating.

Even back in the 70's, Tommy's team was still a freak of strategy, it's not like every coach in the league was doing what Heinsohn was doing. Even then in the mid 70's, he was "stuck in the past", i.e., stuck in the late 50's/early 60's, stuck in Red's philosophy. And it worked. A strategy like "Run!" works no matter what, because it's based on such a fundamental building block of the game, immune to "evolution". That is, it works if the coach can mold the players into the necessary condition for that kind of running, and that depends on whether the players in today's NBA would buy into/obey a guy like Tommy. On most teams, no, they probably wouldn't. On this team, yes, they would. It also helps that the current Celtics have great up-and-down athletes and outside shooters. The current Celtics are composed less like the 80's Celtics and far more like the 60's and especially 70's Celtics. Tommy would have a small set of plays to run in the halfcourt, just like Red did, just like Tommy did in the 70's. A motivated, healthy Tommy would win 65-70 games with this team.

Just like Doc is on pace to.
Which brings us back to the stupidity of complaining about him.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
CelticsWhat!
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#31 » by CelticsWhat! » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:30 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:Hey guys just got back from the game and I cant stand Doc, his rotations are just awful, when the Rockets were making there run why didnt he put another one of the big three in? A better question why did he wait til the Rockets were up one to finally take a timeout? The funniest part of the game was when the Rockets were up one, Doc was sitting down watching the game and Scal got up taped KG and then KG went near the scorers table to get in the game followed by Rondo standing lol. This guy is plain awful the only sad thing about us being 27-3 is the fact theres no chance hes fired. Im just scared he will blow some close games in the playoffs as hes done in the past.

Opinions?

Actually the only sad thing is the very first thing you do after a game is rush back home to piss and moan about the coach of a 27-3 team. Doc didn't let the Rockets back in the game. The Celts didn't play their normal hard-nose defense last night until the very end. The Rockets got a lot of second chance opportunities and started hitting some shots. But of course the players that you worship and wear jerseys for could never possibly be at fault. It must always be the coaches fault.
"If you drop a phonograph needle on Brasky's nipple, it plays the Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds.'"
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#32 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:40 pm

I love heinsohn wrote:I was also at the game and felt the frustration, but at this point it is still important to build confidence. We know that GPA is a great trio, but those other guys that were on the floor (House, Posey, TA, etc.) are gonna be important players for this team going forward.

They need to play pressure minutes now and if they can beat the Rockets, great. If not, then you've got Pierce, KG and Ray Ray backing them up and they did an admirable job of it tonight. There will be plenty of games this year where our bench builds on a 3rd quarter lead all the way into garbage time. It didn't happen tonight, but that is all part of the maturation process as a team.

And I agree but he waited too long to bring KG and Pierce back in, he gave the bench there chance and they were clearly blowing it plus couldnt he have atleast called a time out?
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#33 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:42 pm

sully00 wrote:27-3, the greatest start in the history of the greatest franchise in the sport is Doc River's fault.

I think some of you need a shrink.

Please you take away KG and we might be at 500
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#34 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:44 pm

ParticleMan wrote:LMFAO, this has to be among the dumbest threads in a long while.

I love the Doc haters. They now have to come out when we get a CLOSE WIN.

OMG! WE DIDN'T BLOW THEM OUT BY 30!!!! FIRE DOC!!!!!!!

27-3. That's what counts. You think that's easy? How come SA isn't 27-3? Even when healthy they've lsot more than 3 games. How come Detroit isn't 27-3? Boy, if Doc sucks, Saunders and Pop must be illiterate goons.

Doc didn't put KG back in because THAT'S OUR ROTATION. you don't panic and start futzing with the rotation just because a team goes on a little run. You can't play KG 12 mins in the 4th Q, he gets tired. The team had an off night, it happens.

It's not Doc's fault the players didn't defend the pick and roll aggressively like they've done all season. You think Doc said hey, our p-and-r D has been great all year, why don't we try sucking at it for this game? No, the players were loafing, they thought they would have an easy night after going up 20. It nearly bit em in the ass.

Im not saying Im mad because we didnt blow them out Im saying Im mad because we almost let them come back to beat us when they shouldnt have had a chance. He sat and watched the lead shrink from 15 to 10 to 5 to -1 without calling a time out and keeping KG and Pierce on the bench, it was pathetic
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#35 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:46 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I just thought Doc could have stopped the bleeding a little earlier.

Exactly what I was trying to say
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#36 » by wigglestrue » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:46 pm

"Please you take away KG and we might be at 500"

Do we get back Big Al in that scenario? :rolleyes:
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#37 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:48 pm

Joselo16 wrote:The argument about GPA logging big minutes is stupid because if we had the 20 point lead going in the fourth maybe they could have sat those minutes then instead of earlier in the game. Also even Tommy made a comment that it was time to put in KG and PP back in the game when Houston was threatening but Doc decided to wait till after Houston took the lead to call a timeout (they kept showing shots of both Pierce and Garnett on the bench during that time). I don't get you guys. You guys rather wait till we lose to complain as opposed to complain while we are winning so we can keep winning. Not that anything we say here will effect the actual team but still I rather Doc correct his mistakes while we are winning.

Thank you
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#38 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:51 pm

return2glory wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Doc has done a very god job this year. But I know what you are talking about. We had a 18 point lead at one point and Houston came back and took the lead. We should have beat this team by 15 without TMac. We let them back in the game and Doc should take some blame for that. This wasn't one of his best coached games.

Ya, maybe I was a little too harsh by saying I want him fired I mean like you guys said we are 27-3 but seeing the same mistakes from the past 3 seasons just make me upset.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#39 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:54 pm

canman1971 wrote:I just read the first post and won't read another. This takes the top for most ridiculous for this season. 27-3. I think some need a new team to route for as they don't know how to enjoy success. Go route for the Knicks so you will have plenty complain about and will never run out of new material.

How can u be happy with your coach NOT calling a time out and NOT putting KG or Pierce back in when the other team goes on a huge run and takes the momentum?? How about a time out Doc???????
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#40 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:56 pm

CelticsWhat! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually the only sad thing is the very first thing you do after a game is rush back home to piss and moan about the coach of a 27-3 team. Doc didn't let the Rockets back in the game. The Celts didn't play their normal hard-nose defense last night until the very end. The Rockets got a lot of second chance opportunities and started hitting some shots. But of course the players that you worship and wear jerseys for could never possibly be at fault. It must always be the coaches fault.

He didnt? He looked like the guy sitting on the bench not calling a time out to try to slow down momentum or maybe just maybe put KG or Pierce in?? I bet you think Terry Francona is the best coach in baseball to?

Return to Boston Celtics