ImageImageImage

Could Chicago make a push for Rivers...?

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Could Chicago make a push for Rivers...? 

Post#1 » by campybatman » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:39 pm

Unlikely... But, Tom Thibodeau is only signed for one year. He could succeed Rivers should he want to remain with the Celtics and/or Rivers moves on and Boston approaches Thibodeau for the head coach vacancy. Basically, this is purely speculative. However, I would prefer to see Thibodeau remain on board. He's an impact defensive coach when he has the right players in place like Garnett, Posey, Perkins and Tony Allen and players that want to play defense toward winning games. Which is the case with Boston.

The NBA's five most disappointing teams
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
January 3, 2008

2. CHICAGO (12-18, 11th in Eastern Conference)

For now, the Bulls are benefiting from the departure of Scott Skiles
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#2 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:48 pm

umn I think this is the last of our worries, and we'll have plenty of off-season time to think about this if we win a ring :lol:
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,976

Post#3 » by darrendaye » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:57 pm

It would be near career suicide if he were to jump ship on a championship contender to a situation that may turn into another rebuilding job if Paxton cannot find a good consolidation trade partner. Not to mention the somewhat tenuous status of Deng and Gordon having rejected the Bulls extension proposals this offseason.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#4 » by DorfonCeltics » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:27 pm

LMAO that we have a thread bashing Doc Rivers and another one speculating on whether or not the Bulls would go after him after this season is over. It's amazing what a year can do for you popularity. I remember last year Doc was on PTI every other week with Tony and Wilbon guessing when he would be fired. This is just wierd.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by campybatman » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:31 pm

Does anyone remember who or which head coach of the NFL or maybe the NBA who'd said something like I don't care if the players like me but I want them to respect me. I don't know. I can't place him... I'm thinking it was Bill Parcells or someone similar to in personality.

Anyways, I know most or all of the Celtics players, based on what you read, would be in Rivers' corner if the question arose if he should be signed as the head coach long term.

What it boils down to for Rivers is this. Do you want to make a name for yourself as an NBA head coach with the Boston Celtics by achieving the ultimate goal of winning an NBA championship which is a real possibility in the immediate future (two or three seasons). Or leave it to chance that the young talent currently with the Chicago Bulls will remain with the team long enough to reach their individual ceilings and compete for an NBA championship sooner than later. Can Rivers afford to wait that long? He doesn't have a winning career win/loss record as an NBA head coach as it presently stands. Winning in Boston brings instant credibility among his peers and critics. Maybe.

The reason I bring this up is because I've always been curious about the weird circumstances involving Hill's firing after last season. Hill himself has refused consistently to comment about the specifics of his dismissal, telling the Sentinel again Wednesday night, "I'm not going to get into that." But it took only five words from Dwight on Thursday to finally unearth the real truth. Dwight confirmed that Magic management consulted with him before making the decision to fire Hill. And here is Dwight's assessment of Hill's dismissal: "I was cool with it." Orlando Sentinel

It just happened with Scott Skiles in Chicago, where pretty much the entire team despised playing for its coach. "You have to like your coach," Howard confirms. "I think that's very important. It's hard to be around somebody all the time if you don't like them." Howard will not come right out and say that he disliked playing for the strictly regimented, oft-inflexible Hill, but it's very clear that he is responding much better to Van Gundy's more freewheeling style. And let's not forget Howard's quote when it appeared the Magic had hired Billy Donovan to replace Hill. Said Howard then: "Basketball is going to be fun again here." Orlando Sentinel
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Post#6 » by daveisceltics » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:40 pm

Doc will be here next year.
Enough said.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by campybatman » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:10 pm

daveisceltics wrote:Doc will be here next year.
Enough said.

No one said he wouldn't... I was just posting what was written and speculated about from a writer, Adrian Wojnarowski.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,343

Post#8 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:36 pm

I hope Doc stays, as well as Thibbodeau.
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Post#9 » by daveisceltics » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:57 pm

bonsaiflipflops wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No one said he wouldn't... I was just posting what was written and speculated about from a writer, Adrian Wojnarowski.

Oohh sorry, i thought it was an opinion.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,484

Post#10 » by Gant » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:42 pm

Doc's Celtics are caviar. He's not going back to sardines.
TheCelticsMan
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by TheCelticsMan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:43 pm

Tommy Thib. should be the first priority
GREEN #17.... K PERK

Return to Boston Celtics