ImageImageImage

Barkley Calls Us Out

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Cep
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Barkley Calls Us Out 

Post#1 » by Cep » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:25 pm

I don't know if this has been posted or not.
I actually liked him, and I started liking him a little less now. If you're gonna go at a team, at least know for how long one of their best players has been around.

I don't know how to post the link. Go on Celtics.com, the recap of last night's game, the video that is, and then click on the second video on the side. If anyone can get a link, please post it.
Cep
Assistant Coach

Post#2 » by Cep » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:32 pm

Joebiscuit
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Joebiscuit » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:55 pm

He said this like 2 weeks ago. This is old.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,564

Post#4 » by canman1971 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:55 pm

Old news. Who cares what he says. So much of what he says is wrong anyway. First he says they can't win 72 games (oooh, bold prediction there), then he says they aren't as good as the Bulls then (ok), but then, he says there record isn't as good as the Bulls' because of the "watered down version of the NBA" Now, it the NBA is watered down, wouldn't it be easier to win 72 games, thus, meaning the Cs would not need to be as good as the Bulls back then? Also, this is Rondo's second year and Pierce has been in the league for 10 friggin years. God, you would think that if you played in the NBA for years, and your job is to be an NBA analyst, you might know this stuff. How hard is it? I teach world history and need to know 5000 years of information and I do it. How hard can his job be?
lojowo
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#5 » by lojowo » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:13 pm

For the sake of the people of Phoenix, lets hope the C's dont win 70 games.

Celtics are on a good pace now. I hope Doc does overplay the big three in pursuit of the record, cuts there minutes back to 36/game and develops the bench more.

We need to know what Davis, Scal, Powe, Pollard, Pruitt can give us on a consistent bases so we have them as options in big games.

I think we know now what House, Posey and Allen are capible of night in night out.
sox839
Senior
And1: 1

barkley 

Post#6 » by sox839 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:09 pm

I listened to his garbage a few weeks back. This from a guy who never won anything oh wait he did beat a referee in a race. Don't take much into what he says because he is anti celtic and is anti ainge. Hesaid ainge is a terrible gm. Well ainge said he would stockpile young talent and then trade for a vet and he did a good job of stockpiling talent and then got the player he wanted. [/list]
BigHands
Lead Assistant
And1: 126
Location: On the bow contemplating the grandeur of the iceberg

Post#7 » by BigHands » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:26 pm

He gets paid to say outrageous things.

Rational thought is the way to go but it bores people these days.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,296

Post#8 » by Bad-Thoma » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:31 pm

Ah, I love Barkley. At least he always says what he thinks instead of just hopping on current bandwagon like most of the national media. I think he's probably right anyway, it's a long season and it'll be tough to keep up this pace with a target on our backs every night anyway. Records are nice, titles are better. Barkley isn't right half the time, but he, kind of like Tommy, speaks from his heart, which is what I love about him. Though I would love to see the C's get to 72 wins just to see if Barkley backed up what he said... as long as they don't show it on TV.
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,207

Post#9 » by MaxwellSmart » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:10 pm

I think the Bulls wanted to break the all time record just to prove a point--they had already won a couple of Championships...The Celtics need to worry more about the playoffs and NOT killing themselves to win every single meaningless regular season game....Which is gonna be hard to do,cause it seems that everyone is waiting for them to lose-so they can say "I told you the Celtics big three weren't that good".

I hope we are not setting ourselves up for a huge letdown...Celtics might win 68 games and then lose in the 1st or 2nd round if they're not careful...ask Dallas about that...Doc Rivers has a big task ahead of him,to keep these guys focused on the real prize.
bru87tr
Rookie

Post#10 » by bru87tr » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:36 pm

the funny thing is the celtics have been together for how many games? those teams that are in the same wins catagory at this point in time were together for a while and had time to get chemistry. I say its very easy to put the celtics in that catagory. they havent even been togther that long and already flirting with what the bulls did after being together for a while.

CB is a moron. he obviously doesnt like pierce. maybe others feel that way about pierce and why he never get the recognition he deserves. for CB to not know how long PP has been in the league just goes to show how little amount he knows about whats going on in todays NBA. I know alot of stats and bios of players on other teams. prob most. how CB could be so stupid to not know how long PP has been in the league shows how little knowledge he has of the NBA today.

moron.
bru87tr
Rookie

Post#11 » by bru87tr » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:39 pm

oh ya, he is happy for KG & RA ? kept mentioning tham and blows off PP.

why do people not care for PP ?
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#12 » by ParticleMan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:48 pm

meh, Charles doesn't actually know the NBA. he just is there because he's got a big mouth and says outrageous things. he's entertainment, not analysis. i find him kind of funny most of the time, so he's fine. i just don't pay attention to any of his opinions on the NBA.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#13 » by cisco » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:32 pm

bru87tr wrote:oh ya, he is happy for KG & RA ? kept mentioning tham and blows off PP.

why do people not care for PP ?

I don't understand why so many analysts disrespect Pierce. I don't get it either. Did anyone hear Steven A and Bill Walton on ESPN last night (1/4) during the halftime show? Steven A said that the Cs were still PP's team and if PP decides to go off for 40 points, which he could very well do at any time, they could easily best the Pistons tonight. Walton said he had no idea PP was this good. Steven A looked at him like he was crazy and said how the heck could he not know PP was this good. Walton had this stupid look on his face after that... it was too funny.

I know lots of people hate Steven A, but I love the guy. He, along with Magic Johnson seem to be the only analysts that give the Cs and and especially PP their props. I seriously believe most of them know how good PP is, but don't like him so they disrespect him. What I like about Steven A is that whether he likes someone or not, he tells it like it is. He'll give someone he doesn't like their just do.
spf211
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#14 » by spf211 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:36 pm

Ray Allen - 38 MPG (+0.5 MPG)
Kevin Garnett - 35 MPG (-3 MPG)
Paul Pierce - 38 MPG (+0.5 MPG)

30 games into the season, Allen and Pierce are playing about 30 more seconds per game over their career averages, while Garnett is down 3 minutes per game.

Minutes have been kept down and greatly due to the fact what Barkley says is correct -- some people think the NBA has more talent now than it ever has, but I think in terms of truly competitive teams this isn't true -- and there is a wide gap between Celtics/Spurs/Pistons/Phoenix... maybe Dallas -- and the rest of the league.
sarah42
Starter
And1: 2

Post#15 » by sarah42 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:52 pm

i think magic coached PP or something like that. PP is from LA right?

i remember reading an article about Magic's charity game and something along the lines of Magic yelling at PP to get better back when he was a kid/teenager.

does anyone know what I'm talking about? so Magic obviously knows his game and likes him a lot.
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#16 » by ParticleMan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:56 pm

Steven A is a blowhard who only knows about stars. PP is a star so SAS thinks a lot of him. But he really knows nothing about the NBA outside of its superstars.

I just think PP doesn't have the public appeal of RA or KG. KG because he was an MVP and is a legit MVP candidate every year, so he is better than PP. Ray gets more play nationally I think because of, sad to say, Jesus Shuttlesworth. He's one of those "class guys" who all the media adore. PP has sort of snuck up on everyone, except those who have followed the C's the last 10 years.

I think all this national respect stuff is stupid anyway. You win, you get respect. That's how it is. If we win then Paul will get his due.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#17 » by cisco » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:04 pm

spf211 wrote:Ray Allen - 38 MPG (+0.5 MPG)
Kevin Garnett - 35 MPG (-3 MPG)
Paul Pierce - 38 MPG (+0.5 MPG)

30 games into the season, Allen and Pierce are playing about 30 more seconds per game over their career averages, while Garnett is down 3 minutes per game.

Minutes have been kept down and greatly due to the fact what Barkley says is correct -- some people think the NBA has more talent now than it ever has, but I think in terms of truly competitive teams this isn't true -- and there is a wide gap between Celtics/Spurs/Pistons/Phoenix... maybe Dallas -- and the rest of the league.

I'm not sure what Ray and PP playing 30 extra seconds above their career averages has to do with anything.

But as far as there being more or less talent, I believe Barkkley and you to be wrong. I think there is more talent in the league now. I think it seems watered down because there are more teams and players in the league now than in the 80s and before. If you remove all the expansion teams since the 80s and place all the best players in the remaining teams (that means players like Scal wouldn't be in the league :clap: ) then I think you will easily see that there are more talented players in the league now than in the earlier years. Just my opinion of course, I haven't looked any of this stuff up.
bill murray has game
Sophomore

Post#18 » by bill murray has game » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:22 am

Barkley was great on the court.

Now he is just a character. Outspoken smartass guy! Sometimes he comes up with some good stuff but it is getting kind of old. In twenty years kids will be saying who is this idiot if he is still around. He made his bucks and now he is coasting living of his persona.
giambijuice
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#19 » by giambijuice » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:51 am

lets just agree that barkley is no mensa. he should just apply at some community college for the governership of alabama. the president of auburn university is noticebly silent everytime barkley speaks. how that guy got a scholarship is one of the seven wonders of the world.
dclock
Freshman

Post#20 » by dclock » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:18 pm

The joke will especially be on him when he has to wear those speedos with 3 games left in the season too.

Return to Boston Celtics