ImageImageImage

Ainge on the process of getting Ray and KG

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,805

Post#21 » by meatball sub » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:28 pm

This article just proves that it takes time to create genius. Thank You Danny Ainge!
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,076

Post#22 » by UGA Hayes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:37 pm

Absolutely Bynum will avg 20. Al Jefferson was avg 6.7 PPG at 53% at age 20. Bynum is avg 12.8 PPG on 63 % at age 20. With his height and athleticism he does not to be as skilled as Jefferson, and its not like isn't pretty skilled as it is. That doesn't account that he shoots many more FTs and at a better percentage than Al.

I think Al is fine as a defender at the PF. But his innate physical characterisics do not allow him to be the defender Bynum is. Despite being taller Bynum is more athletic and I suspect has longer arms and is bigger in general. He blocks shots and intimidates shots. He clogs the paint. I personally think he is noticeably better than Al in this regard.

As for passing He ranks 18th among centers to Al's 47th. Much better passer and subjectively I see better awareness from Bynum.

I don't want to be too critical b/c it sounds like you haven't been paying much attention to the Lakers in regards to coverage. Bynum has been getting nonstop praise from all outlets this year. I think really the opposite of what you said is the case. I don't think you could find a GM that wouldn't take Bynum. I usspect this is one area we are just going to hav eto disagree.
EdSkae
Senior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by EdSkae » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:30 am

UGA Hayes wrote:Absolutely Bynum will avg 20. Al Jefferson was avg 6.7 PPG at 53% at age 20. Bynum is avg 12.8 PPG on 63 % at age 20. With his height and athleticism he does not to be as skilled as Jefferson, and its not like isn't pretty skilled as it is. That doesn't account that he shoots many more FTs and at a better percentage than Al.

I think Al is fine as a defender at the PF. But his innate physical characterisics do not allow him to be the defender Bynum is. Despite being taller Bynum is more athletic and I suspect has longer arms and is bigger in general. He blocks shots and intimidates shots. He clogs the paint. I personally think he is noticeably better than Al in this regard.

As for passing He ranks 18th among centers to Al's 47th. Much better passer and subjectively I see better awareness from Bynum.

I don't want to be too critical b/c it sounds like you haven't been paying much attention to the Lakers in regards to coverage. Bynum has been getting nonstop praise from all outlets this year. I think really the opposite of what you said is the case. I don't think you could find a GM that wouldn't take Bynum. I usspect this is one area we are just going to hav eto disagree.

You can debate if Bynum will be better then Big Al. When the trade was made Big Al was a much more proven player then Bynum. What can't be debated is the Lakers did not have a huge expiring contract to include in the deal.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Re: Ainge on the process of getting Ray and KG 

Post#24 » by Parliament10 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:52 pm

From the Wayback Machine . . .

Do you remember when this was a thing?
Ainge's 2 Biggest overall moves:

1) Getting Ray Allen & K.G.
2) Trading Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

3)? -- I think that the current team, with our 6 Best Players, could be considered Ainge's #3 best overal move.
Though, it took awhile to amass. And in-no-small-part due to #20 the Pierce & Garnett Trade.

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics