ImageImageImage

This Team Needs One more Scorer

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,747

This Team Needs One more Scorer 

Post#1 » by return2glory » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:03 am

Our team could use another scorer. This is evident especially when Ray Allen doesn't play. If you look at this team, beside KG, Pierce, Ray, and House we don't have much scoring power.

Here is the look at the rest of the roster.

1. Rondo- not a scorer.
2. Perkins- not a scorer
3. Davis- is the exception, he can score inside.
4. Powe- not a scorer
5. Posey- if his 3 isn't going, not much of a scorer.
6. Scalabrine- not a scorer
7. Pollard- not a scorer
8. TA- inconsistant right now
9. Pruitt- can score, but doesn't play.

There arean't many weakness' on this team, but when one of our Big 3 is out, there isn't too much scoring going on.

We still have 2 roster stops open and IMO we can use a scorer for insurance. What do you all think?
EvadedHavoc
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#2 » by EvadedHavoc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:09 am

Earl Boykins anyone?

J/P
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#3 » by BillessuR6 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:16 am

We lost the game on defense not offense, IMO.

But the problem with our bench is that with the exception of Tony they can`t creat their own offense. Still if we play defense we can win every game, when we don`t, then this lack of offensive power off the bench becomes apparent.
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by P2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:50 am

Chris Webber would be a nice addition if we need veteran scoring.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,901

Post#5 » by Jammer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Yes, but here's the reality of filling that need.

Center :

This season: Best available free agent that's not a cancer (excludes Chris Webber)

PJ Brown - not a scorer, although he has a jump shot and turn around jump shot out to 18 or 19 feet. Also, at his age, not much of a help defender, but a long, tall and effective post defender.

Summer:

Kurt Thomas (Seattle) age 35
Brian Skinner (Phoenix), age 31
Jake Voskuhl (Milwaukee), age 30

Note: Hoopshype lists Jeff Foster of Indiana with a player option, but ESPN.com and Shamsports list Foster under contract thru 2009

Point Guards

Carlos Arroyo, Anthony Johnson, Chris Duhon & Tyronne Lue will be unrestricted FA's this summer.

Of the above, only Arroyo, Johnson and Kurt Thomas would qualify as scorers.

Current year options include signing a free agent like 6' 6" Allan Houston, who may not be able to defend but would add an Eddie House like jump shot in someone 6" taller with much longer arms,

or making a trade for someone like 31 year Tyronne Lue (championships with LA in 2000 and 2001), whose salary could match up with Brian Scalabrine, or Scalabrine + Pruitt. Atlanta might take on Scalabrine's reaining 2 years of his contract in exchange for Pruitt, whose under contract for 2 more years also. Both of their PG's Anthony Johnson and Tyronne Lue are unrestricted free agents this summer.

But at 6' tall, and 31 years, Lue may only have 1 year left. He could protect the ball, and hit an open shot.

I must admit that the best hope is a Sam Cassell buyout, but that would go against the track record of owner Donald Sterling. If Cassell walked without taking any remaining salary due, Sterling would probably let him go. But I can't see Sterling paying Cassell to go have some fun with a winner.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 672

Post#6 » by DelMonte West » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:12 pm

I really, really want Brandon Rush on this team next year. There's no way he falls to us and I don't think we'll be able to move up, but he'd be a perfect immediate-contribution rookie for our team, especially if Eddie House or Tony Allen don't return for whatever reason. Also don't want to see Pruitt leave (as a prospect I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him replace Rondo sometime down the road, especially if he plays aggressively).
Egregious Blunder
General Manager

Post#7 » by Egregious Blunder » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:35 pm

any way we can get jj reddick without giving too much?
i dont really like him, but hes available, and put him on the floor with KG and pierce nad he will be open for 3s all day long
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,258

Post#8 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:02 pm

No it doesn't.
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:21 pm

No it doesn't.

Agreed. This team doesn't need another scorer. This team has a great blend of guys who can create their own offense and guys who can fill it up when the others get attention.

This team goes five or six deep with players who can create their own shot or create for others: KG, Pierce, Ray Allen, Rondo, Tony Allen, and occasionally Eddie House.

Then you got guys who can play off others: House, Big Baby, Posey, Perk to a degree.

The only players in the rotation that can be offensive zeros are the two big lugs, Perk and Pollard, and they are aren't out there for their offense.

I think this team has a very good combination of offensive players. Last night, they just couldn't put the ball in the ocean.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,258

Post#10 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:15 pm

^ Just to add I think people always underestimate when players go out. One of the things I noticed on offense last night was guys going way outside of their roles at time. It got to the point where it looked like everyone was unsure about whether they should be the ones shooting. Its not as easy to adjust on the fly as we would like.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,747

Post#11 » by return2glory » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:18 pm

thebirdman wrote:We lost the game on defense not offense, IMO.

But the problem with our bench is that with the exception of Tony they can`t creat their own offense. Still if we play defense we can win every game, when we don`t, then this lack of offensive power off the bench becomes apparent.

I disagree. Our defense was bad in the 2nd half, but our offense was even worse. We shot 42% for the game and went 4-20 from behind the arc. Paul Pierce and TA didn't show up on offense, going 5-19 combined from the field and scoring ony 19 points in 65 minutes. Our offense scored only 83 points at home to a team that had lost 11 straight on the road.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,081

Post#12 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Was at the game and had a good seat so you can get a better feel of what is going right and wrong with players off the ball.

The Celts have a PG problem.

Offensively, Rondo just doesn't finish well enough. He had a good first quarter then disappears. Rondo just can't play in certain games, especially when Charlotte went to a zone (wish they would outlaw it again).

The problem is when Charlotte was in a zone Rondo is pointless to even play. They put Eddie House in, but when that guys shots aren't falling he brings nothing else.

This team severely needs a real bonafide PG to spell rondo. Not just a 10 mpg guy, probably someone who could go 20 minutes up and if need be play starter minutes.

Eddie House and Tony Allen just aren't good enough doing it. In spells, they are fine, but Eddie House and Tony Allen's poor games were the reason the Celts lost.

Rondo is taken out of games way to easily. He needs to be more consistent and effective. He is either 14 points or 2 points. You can't count on him.

What was striking is that the Celtics do need Ray Allen out there. His shooting would really aide against that kind of zone. The Bobcats double teamed KG and ran at Pierce. they were going to let someone else beat them and we didn't.

It's a bad loss. They could sue an Earl Boykins off the bench.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#13 » by sully00 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:58 pm

The problem with Boykins is he can't guard anyone. That is why he doesn't have a job. This is why the best teams in the league sacrifice scoring punch and offensive play at the back up pg spots for a guys who can guard. While it would be nice to have little Earl run around and score a point a minute off the bench come playoff time he is useless. If Rondo is struggling are going to go tell Earl to get in there and guard Chauncey or Jason Kidd? No you are still going to Tony Allen and Eddie House.

I have a list of guys and I am sure Ainge does as well that make sense, none are FA's but all could come free by the playoffs either in a trade or by being let go. Earl Watson and Anthony Johnson top my list right now and there is always Sam I am though I think that is a long shot. Until then let Tony do the best he can at worst maybe he makes himself into a valuable enough trade asset to return the guy we need.
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:09 pm

I don't really understand what Earl Boykins would give you against a zone that Eddie House wouldn't, besides worse three point shooting.

Boykins is not a good fit for this team. He needs the ball to be effective. Whenever he would come in for Denver, the team just ran incessant pick and rolls with him and if he got hot he could carry a team offensively. Problem is, he always thought he was hot and wound up taking way too many shots and barely shooting over 40% on them. This Celtics team has more than enough good offensive weapons that getting Earl Boykins to run pick and roll and shoot an 18 footer every time down the court is never going to be a good option.
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#15 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Boykins is an up tempo player and a scorer. He isn't as good a shooter as Eddie, but he can knife through the lane.

Besides the fact, Boykins is a better player than Eddie House. That is No. 1 reason why I would want him.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#16 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:05 pm

I think it's pretty obvious we don't "need" another scorer. We are 29-4, we've beat some damn good teams now (even blew out one very good team twice, in the Lakers) and we are near the top of every offensive statistical category (and defensive, for that matter) except point per game, which is really based on our tempo instead of effectiveness.

I would LIKE someone who can be create for himself and be counted on for 10-12 PPG off the bench every night, though. Posey and House rely on others to draw attention, which is fine and what most role players do, but it would be nice to have one guy coming off the bench who can create for himself and others a bit (doesn't need to do this ton, as he'd be out there with Pierce, Ray or KG at nearly all times). Someone like Ricky Davis would be pretty good, if he'd accept his role.

I agree that Boykins wouldn't be a bad pickup, but only to play against the crap teams who wouldn't expose that matchup a ton. You just can't play him a single minute against a team like Detroit...his defense is too poor and Billups is too big.

He can create for himself, shoot and create for others a bit (not ideal playmaking skills for a PG, but better than House/T.A.).
BrokenLeftyJumper
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by BrokenLeftyJumper » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Boykins is an up tempo player and a scorer. He isn't as good a shooter as Eddie, but he can knife through the lane.

Besides the fact, Boykins is a better player than Eddie House. That is No. 1 reason why I would want him.

The fact that Boykins can knife through the lane would be important if the NBA was played with 8 foot rims. He's not finishing on anyone, so the fact he can get in the lane is irrelevant. Your gonna see a lot of him dribbling all the way into the paint, going under the basket, and kicking it right back out. Then he'll run over to get the ball from whom he just passed it to, dribble some more, get a screen, and shoot an 18 footer that he hits about 40 percent of the time.

I could see picking up Boykins if this team was really starved for offense, but it's not. A team that picks up Boykins would likely be picking him up to be a mini-Iverson for their second unit. The C's don't need that.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#18 » by GreenGrizz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:53 pm

It would be nice if we are able to get another Kevin Gamble out of NBDL.
Scalamental
Sixth Man
And1: 146

Post#19 » by Scalamental » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:04 pm

When our team is full and healthy, we have no real need for another scorer.

When we lose Pierce or Allen, then yes, we could use another scorer.

Sam Cassell would be a great addition coming off the bench. In the long run of the season, he can be insurance for ray or paul sitting out. As a regular contributor, he can jump in when Rondo gets in foul trouble. I like T.A., but who would you rather back up at p.g. in most situations?
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#20 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:07 pm

If you want to limit Allen's and Pierces minutes you need another scorer. Most importantly, this team needs another PG.

I like Rondo, but it's about winning. He is good, but is inconsistent. He needs a caddy. He couldn't finish whatsoever against Charlotte. He should have went 11 for 13. He was missing easy shots.

If there is someone out there that is reasonably attainable and can help, or even perform better, then we should go get that player.

Luckily, we have such a big lead that Danny Ainge can wait until the deadline and pick up a buyout of a traded player.

Return to Boston Celtics