ImageImageImage

Make Ray the 6th man

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,378

Make Ray the 6th man 

Post#1 » by Red2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 am

we're not getting enough out of ray allen lately and I think making him the 6th man and making him the focus of the second unit would get him going. we're also getting killed on the boards lately so starting posey at small forward and Pierce at the 2 would help in that regard. you could also start tony at the 2. I think ray whether he will admit it or not has not adjusted to not being the man. If he were 6th man it would be clear that he is the focus of the second unit. overall our guard play has really hurt us the last few games and I also think that Doc needs to work pruitt into the lineup because he appears to be our 2nd best ball handler and playmaker
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,901

Post#2 » by Jammer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:26 pm

Bad Idea, IMO.

Pierce is more adept at handling the double and triple teams that he faces with the second unit.

Ray needs to get Ray Allen type of shots.

Perhaps it's something as simple as all the years that he was on bad teams, teams allowed him to get a few good looks per game. (Can't say if that's true because Paul Pierce faced double teams regularly).

Now that the Celtics have a target on their back, and teams are trying to get a win; defenses focus on KG, Pierce and Ray Allen.

Ray just has to let the guys know what his type of shots are, and perhaps Doc and the team work that into the offense.

But this season, Ray has been missing some gimmes.

His career averages are phenomenal. 23 ppg, 4 rpg, 4 apg.

But he took more shots, which got him to the line more than he does now. He had the ball in his hands more, also, which helped get him to the line.

The scoring differential could simply be that Ray needs to take shots.

But the drop in percentage is perplexing.

The 1960's Celtics teams were unusual. Invariably 6 out of the top 7 players would shoot higher FG % in the playoffs than during the regular season. But, those guy won 11 in 13 championships.

Hopefully Ray will have something in common with his predecessors.
Friar Dan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Friar Dan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Stop the madness...Ray Allen is NOT a 6th man.

Ray isn't putting up the all-world stats he has for most of his career, but this is the best collection of players he's had. You have to account for fewer shots (14.2 FGA this year, down from 21.0 last year and his lowest since 98-99 in MIL) and an adjustment to being the 3rd option on offense. 6th men these day (with the exception of Manu) are generally one-dimensional scorers that come in for a boost - that's not Ray. He's still an across the board contributor and a starter. Besides, this isn't hockey, so "focus of the 2nd unit" doesn't fly - we don't play in shifts.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,901

Post#4 » by Jammer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:14 pm

I agree with Friar Dan.

This post is topic is madness.

If you are not able to see how crucial Ray's presence is for the offense and defense, yikes.

There is a reason that he averages 38 mpg.

That's not a 6th man.

Let me guess, KG as 6th man will be your next suggestion.

Yikes.
GoGoCeltics
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#5 » by GoGoCeltics » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Yeah, Ray isn't a 6th man. Take him out earlier and put him in with the second unit (maybe), but don't start him on the bench.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,564

Post#6 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:21 pm

This is just silly. Allen is going through a bit of a slump, whether it is injury related or mental, he'll get through it. I really think the team needs to do a better job getting Allen the ball in better position. It seems he is not getting touches where he is used to getting them. He seems to be standing a lot. He needs to come off screens and be moving into the ball to be at his best. They are not doing that and he is being affected IMO.
Double-Overtime
Sophomore

Post#7 » by Double-Overtime » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:22 pm

this is just silly i tell you..... canman, you're a ref! what is your job outside the virtual world? I guess cop or a fed... just another reason i'm not over here discussing celtics on this board anymore. Its called "played out"....
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#8 » by cfan79 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Bad Idea, Ray compliments KG and Paul perfectly.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,564

Post#9 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:44 pm

Double-Overtime wrote:this is just silly i tell you..... canman, you're a ref! what is your job outside the virtual world? I guess cop or a fed... just another reason i'm not over here discussing celtics on this board anymore. Its called "played out"....

I'm not sure what you are asking me or calling me? My "real" job is teacher/coach.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#10 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:26 pm

Strangely, Ray has had the most difficulty adapting to the Big 3 concept of the 3. I expected it to be Paul but he has been fabulous. KG has been KG. But I think Ray is much more used to playing with the ball in his hands, and taking shots off the dribble that are not necessarily in the offensive flow. I notice a lot of his big shots come when he just decides to take the shot, regardless, like that 27 footer late against the Nets. The idea of sharing and working for open shots actually seems to work against Ray, he doesn't seem to hit catch-and-shoots at a particularly better rate than contested shots, and moreover, he doesn't seem to have as good a sense as I thought about getting uncontested shots. But really, I think this will only get better. It's onlly been half a season, I think Ray will eventually get the hang of it. Right now he looks uncomfortable more than anything.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#11 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Wiz fan here....you guys are 30 and freaking 5, and you want to change things? It's a long season and people go through mini slumps, and runs all the time.

You dont want to change it now and make Ray Ray your 6th man.
Friar Dan
Junior

Post#12 » by Friar Dan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:11 pm

That's one smart Donkey...
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,412

Post#13 » by Kaykoose » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:39 pm

I lol'd at the idea of having a 16 mil a year 6th man. What Doc needs to do is have Pierce the star wing who plays with the 2nd unit. Ray Allen absolutely fails when he plays with the bench.
NH_soxfan14
Junior
And1: 1

Post#14 » by NH_soxfan14 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:03 pm

So you're telling me that you would rather have Tony Allen out there more than Ray Allen?

RSN

Return to Boston Celtics