ImageImageImage

C-Webb considering C's?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#21 » by darrendaye » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:50 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:The one position that does rely on man to man defense for us is the Center spot.

We need Perk starting so KG doesn't get pounded in the early going, avoid cheap fouls, and focus on what he does best.. and that is roaming defensively.

Perk is there to absorb the damange of guys like D-12, and other centers who are scrubs but hit hard.

Doc doesn't like to play Perk too much anyways so it isn't like we'd have to struggle to find minutes for C-Webb.

C-webb's biggest addition would be allowing us to almost consistently have a Center backup between him and Pollard. Baby + CWebb off the bench isn't that bad. And hopefully that means Garnett can stay where he feels comfortable at the PF position.

Kudos for having the patience to articulate this point, again.

EDIT: Adaptation is one thing, forming a strategy whose main premise is to expand the need for your best player to play outside his comfort level with minimal added benefit (show me evidence that three 20 point scorers on the floor at the same time is not enough for 90% of the game), all while compromising another facet of the game (defense), to me is hard to argue. Continuously saying so, isn't swaying me in the least.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#22 » by ddb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Boston, Dallas, and Detriot are the three teams.

Personally, i would like to see C-Webb added to our roster. He gives us another veteran player who's been deep in the playoffs. That experience goes a long way. Plus, he's still a quality player.

I would keep our lineup the same. Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG, Perk
We're 30-5..Changing the lineup doesn't make any sense.

Bench improves with the additional of C-Webb...House, Allen, Posey, Davis, Webber is a good bench.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,430

Post#23 » by threrf23 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:58 pm

This is a hunch, and a wishful hunch because it reflects what I would want...

But I think there may be a reason C-Webb specifically mentions "two weeks." Birdman is probably reinstated on or near Jan 28th, two weeks from now. I think he's our choice (or maybe another team's first choice), and C-Webb's the second choice. C-Webb's waiting to see whether his top choice signs Birdman, if not his top choice signs him. If so, he signs with one of the other two teams.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,515

Post#24 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:06 pm

threrf23 wrote:This is a hunch, and a wishful hunch because it reflects what I would want...

But I think there may be a reason C-Webb specifically mentions "two weeks." Birdman is probably reinstated on or near Jan 28th, two weeks from now. I think he's our choice (or maybe another team's first choice), and C-Webb's the second choice. C-Webb's waiting to see whether his top choice signs Birdman, if not his top choice signs him. If so, he signs with one of the other two teams.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it sounds like he plans on signing within the next few days and will be playing in 2 weeks.

But in an exclusive interview Sunday, Webber told News10's Bryan May that he will sign with a new club and be back on the court in a matter of days.
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#25 » by cfan79 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:08 pm

A lot of you overrate Perks defense. C-Webb(who is still much better then him) can play most centers in the league.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#26 » by darrendaye » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 pm

cfan79 wrote:A lot of you overrate Perks defense. C-Webb(who is still much better then him) can play most centers in the league.

Repeating conjecture doesn't make it so. Most people need some evidence to alter their perspective. Do what you want, but, with this point you would seem to be using this forum more as a sounding board than a discussion board.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
cfan79
RealGM

Post#27 » by cfan79 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:13 pm

darrendaye wrote:
Repeating conjecture doesn't make it so. Most people need some evidence to alter their perspective. Do what you want, but, with this point you would seem to be using this forum more as a sounding board than a discussion board.

Just look at their stats. Perks stats suck.

career averages

Perk's 4.4 pts 4.8 rebounds
CWebb's 20.9 pts 9.7 rebounds
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,125

Post#28 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 pm

cfan79 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

career averages

The Celtics have KG, PP & Ray Allen. They don't need an offensive center in the starting lineup. They need a center to play defense. Perk plays defense, C-Webb does not.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#29 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:27 pm

cfan79 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

career averages

LMAO. c'mon cfan, you're smarter than that. Perk is on the upside of his career, Cwebb is on the waaaay downside of his. His 20/10 days are long gone.

for some reason you seem to have become the resident Perk hater. i have no idea why. he's not dwight howard or anything but he's a good player who fills a valuable role for us. how anyone could not like perk's effort and winning attitude is beyond me. and he far and away leads the team in dunks. i'm not even sure cwebb can dunk anymore.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,515

Post#30 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Bill Russell and Robert Parish have better career stats than Perk, but that doesn't mean they are currently better than Perk. Using career stats for a guy who has been in the league almost 20 years is not a very smart way to debate your point cfan.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#31 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 pm

Perkins is an unfinished product. In 2-3 years Perkins will probably be a 9-12 point and 8-10 rebound guy who produces on a consistent basis. He's not there right now.

People want instant results or they get down on the guy. Remember he came right out of high school. In 3 years when Perkins is 26 years old the Celtics will be very happy to have him as their center.

Right now he just works on his strengths which is defense, setting picks, blocking shots and rebounding until he can learn to be more productive offensely. Just what this Celtic team needs.
bru87tr
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#32 » by bru87tr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:41 pm

as much as I think web is old, I like him better than perk.

whoever said we dont need an offensive big man, check out the latest losses.

sorry but perk is slow and doesnt go straight up when he gets the ball. an easy dunk or layup, instead puts him at the line alot and we know how good perk is at the line.

I'd like to try it out and if it doesnt work, he is a great back up. I think it would work well. detroit isnt boston. he could gel well here.

perk is a banger and benefit of the attention KG gets. not much else.

I like perk too.
cfan79
RealGM

Post#33 » by cfan79 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 pm

How many years will I have to hear how Perk is GOING to be good. Some of you guys are starting to sound like Tommy Heinsohn.
ddb
RealGM

Post#34 » by ddb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Perkins is about as good as he's going to get. He's a solid and tough center who is fine when playing with a guy like KG. Without KG he is nothing more then a foul prone raw piece of work.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#35 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Initially, I was opposed to signing C-Webb. However, at this stage in the game, I don't see how it could hurt the Celts. At the very minimum, Webber would provide insurance in case KG or Perk were to get hurt. Imagine if Perk got hurt - we then have to rely on Pollard, Davis or KG to play the 5 spot. That would be dreadful.
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#36 » by Collinto » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:56 pm

What are my alternatives? If the answer is an empty roster spot, I say why not. If he doen't fit, cut him.

I have the same opinion of a back up point guard, wait and see what the alternatives are as the deadline approaches/ passes and pick one...just as insurance.

I am not sure there is a better option out there than Webber as far as a back up big. My feeling is there will be a better option than GP for a back-up point.

As far as chemistry, I am not too concerned. Any signing will be short term and if need be we can cut our losses. However, having the best record in the league, any player coming knows that they are entering an established situation and need to "fit in" and a guy like Webber is surely in it for a title run. Plus, with three vets like KG, Pierce, and Allen; my feeling is the Three/along with a championship run is more likely to be a positive influence than any player added being a negative influence...just my 2 cents.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#37 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 pm

bru87tr wrote:whoever said we dont need an offensive big man, check out the latest losses.

Perkins averaged 7.5 points the last 2 losses.

Perkins averaged 6.8 points in the other 33 games and the Celtics went 30-3.

Celtics need an offensive center sounds nice but the numbers say otherwise.
cfan79
RealGM

Post#38 » by cfan79 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:58 pm

bru87tr wrote:as much as I think web is old, I like him better than perk.

whoever said we dont need an offensive big man, check out the latest losses.

Thank you, At least Webber can hit easy shots and free throws. Perk's front rim hook is fugly.
ddb
RealGM

Post#39 » by ddb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Pros and cons of Perk-

Pros- his teammates like him, he's tough, he plays hard and defends well, he's willing to listen and learn, knows his role, comes at a bargin price, he's young.

cons- can't shoot free throws, foul prone, raw offensively, puts the ball on the floor when he should go staight up, inconsistent, he's an average athlete, doesn't have much upside.

There's no doubt about Perk deserving a role on this team. He knows his role...he's our enforcer. Bringing in C-Webb allows you to run the same offense even when KG is out of the game. One of C-Webbs strengths is that he is phenomenal at handling the ball and distributing the ball from the post. If he isn't covered he will score on you...if you double or cover hard he will find the open man ALA KG.

For those of you who think C-Webb is washed up..you're (Please Use More Appropriate Word). He would be the perfect fit for this teams 2nd unit.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#40 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:28 pm

ddb wrote:For those of you who think C-Webb is washed up..you're (Please Use More Appropriate Word).

Nice.

Return to Boston Celtics