ImageImageImage

If Cassell were to be Bought Out: C's or Cavs?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#41 » by P2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Datruth345 wrote:false alarm

You can't be too sure about that.
RoyHobbs
Senior

Post#42 » by RoyHobbs » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:08 pm

P2 wrote:So will you provide us with links, heathmalc? Are you an insider?

Let's let him answer that question:

heathmalc wrote:I NEVER said I'm an insider.
The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Celticsblog or its administration.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#43 » by Datruth345 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:08 pm

i'm pretty sure i'm sure thats it's just "blog b.s" as Pat Riley likes to call it

if it was any sort of legitimate, there would be a link by now, lets be reasonable
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#44 » by sully00 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:22 pm

billy242 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

not sure that how much Cassell is worth is the measuring stick for CLE.

i would say that keeping LeBron happy is #1 on their list and since they aren't going to have any serious cap space the next couple of years this might be the only way to keep LeBron from starting to pack his bags...

and that would be devastating for their franchise...

plus, they need a PG big time.

I understand the concept but do you really think that LeBron is that stupid? Ferry made a move that supposedly has LeBron's blessing. Now he expects Ferry to go and sign Cassell and spend 8 times as much on salary and tax as anyone else on 40 year old pg. This is just dumb. Spend a couple of bucks if it makes the difference I guess but it seems a wrong headed.

But to extend the concept Cuban has his MLE as well.
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#45 » by nasbahceltic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:25 pm

billy242 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

college reference....

o ok
billy242
Junior

Post#46 » by billy242 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:26 pm

sully00 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I understand the concept but do you really think that LeBron is that stupid? Ferry made a move that supposedly has LeBron's blessing. Now he expects Ferry to go and sign Cassell and spend 8 times as much on salary and tax as anyone else on 40 year old pg. This is just dumb. Spend a couple of bucks if it makes the difference I guess but it seems a wrong headed.

But to extend the concept Cuban has his MLE as well.

well, i would agree with you if CLE had any reasonable chance of being under the cap in the next couple years.

but since they don't, they are going to need to spend serious money to fill holes no matter when they do it.

and what it comes down to is they still don't have a starting PG and Cassell would fit that at least for this year and give them a better chance to make another run at the Finals...

it would be a lot of money, but again how much money does that franchise lose if LeBron ever says that he is moving on...?
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#47 » by GWVan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:29 pm

P2 wrote:By the way, where is it being reported that the Clips and Sam have reached an agreement?

isn't that tampering?
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
P2
Banned User

Post#48 » by P2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:35 pm

heathmalc wrote:No I am not an "insider." I know a few people who "sometimes" have info...but this isn't one of those cases. I

I heard about Sam Cassell on the radio. I looked on the rumor sites and checked everywhere else, but cannot find anything.

So for now, take this with a "grain of salt."

Besides... the people that I do know...I wouldn't quote them w/o a second source anyway, as they've made me look like an ass in the past.

So I guess it will hit the net within a couple of hours.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#49 » by Rocky5000 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Why would he go to Cleveland? It's the Celtics or nothing else, the fact that the Cavs have Ben Wallace isn't going to change his mind. He said that he's made his money and now only cares about winning, playing on the team with the best record in the league will give him a pretty good shot at winning.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#50 » by sully00 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:32 pm

billy242

That is actually the part of this trade that makes a ton of sense for CLE. They now are set up to be under the cap sigficantly after next year, when Wally expires, Varejao has an opt out and Pavlovic is not guaranteed. It will also be the last year on the books for Wallace even though he has another cap free contract year.

While under the cap they will also have about 3 guys under contract.

Going to CLE makes as much sense as going to DEN, that Sam wants to go for a place he can have a role more than just going a long for the ride to get the ring. While I am sure he is interested in coming here the idea that he wants to come here more than anywhere else is not concept I understand.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#51 » by GregB » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:31 pm

sully00 wrote:billy242

Going to CLE makes as much sense as going to DEN, that Sam wants to go for a place he can have a role more than just going a long for the ride to get the ring. While I am sure he is interested in coming here the idea that he wants to come here more than anywhere else is not concept I understand.

The thing is, He won't just be coming along for the ride if he comes here. He will have a vital role playing 20-25 minutes a game off the bench. In a lot of circumstances, He will prob be closing out games with the starters. I would actually love Cassell/Rondo (offense/defense) subs at the end of the game.

I also think Cassell realizes that he is prob better off in a reserve role and the fact that he is BF with KG will play a big factor. IMO, Thats why I think we are the favorites to land him.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#52 » by TheCelticTruth » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:19 pm

sully00 wrote: While I am sure he is interested in coming here the idea that he wants to come here more than anywhere else is not concept I understand.

Archived at this point, but with original link. From the mouth of the alien beast himself.

"Cassell feels trade winds
By Mark Murphy / Celtics Notebook
Thursday, February 7, 2008 - Updated 15d 12h ago
Sam Cassell isn

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"

Return to Boston Celtics