ImageImageImage

Kevin Love = Larry Bird

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,965

Post#21 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:39 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:the next Larry Bird is Brian Scalabrine

I didn't know Scal was getting the Pacer GM job. :)
sittinOnGreen
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#22 » by sittinOnGreen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:42 pm

[quote="Dogen"]-= original quote snipped =-

Doesn't Dallas have a seven foot 'whitey' who's pretty good?

Oh, wait, he's 'euro-whitey', not all-american-whitey. I guess he doesn't count.[/quote]

That's funny, my friends and I have had this discussion before and I'm not sure where I stand...some of my friends don't consider non american "white" players to be actually white...so, they say an all white team can't have dirk or steve nash on it...
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#23 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Haha.

Honestly it doesn't matter AT all if the player is black or white, as long as they're good.

But the media's need to crown every marginally talented white guy the next Bird is annoying. First it shows of limp-dicked insecurities and second, Bird was not marginally talented. He was a man among boys in college (just like other greats like Magic, Jordan, etc). These recent white guys are good but not GREAT the way the true greats, black or white, are.

Durant last year was a man among boys, and he was only a kid himself!

I wish the media would shut about all this **** and wait until these guys, black or white, show what they can do in the NBA first, if they even make it there.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#24 » by Tenbomber » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:03 pm

cfan79 wrote:Honestly though, who was the last great whitey that wasn't a point guard?

Whomever that may be, I hope he is fine just being "himself"....

We try too hard to compare sometimes IMO....(and the media does this too)....It all just adds more pressure for a young player to deal with...

The truely great ones are one of a kind and that is as it should be...
Cross
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by Cross » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Last great, white, American player was clearly Eric Montross.
Love that dirty water...
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#26 » by TheCelticTruth » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:22 pm

it bothers me that some people are so preposessed with color

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,216

Post#27 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:47 pm

cfan79 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Honestly though, who was the last great whitey that wasn't a point guard?

Define "great."

And define "white," do Europeans count?

Dirk Nowitzki is pretty outstanding. Chris Mullin's peak was spectacular. Jason Kidd is half-white...
captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Post#28 » by captain_cheapseats » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:51 pm

tsherkin wrote:I think I might keel over in actual pain from an abdominal strain if someone said that and meant it seriously.

Prepare yourself then, because I can guarantee you there will be at least one thread on RealGM comparing Love to Bird, and at least once analyst on ESPN who compares Love to Bird at some point before the draft.

A white forward with potential to go in the top-15 getting compared to Bird is like gravity....there's just no stopping it.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,216

Post#29 » by tsherkin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:54 am

captain_cheapseats wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Prepare yourself then, because I can guarantee you there will be at least one thread on RealGM comparing Love to Bird, and at least once analyst on ESPN who compares Love to Bird at some point before the draft.

A white forward with potential to go in the top-15 getting compared to Bird is like gravity....there's just no stopping it.

Heh, and he has good range on his J, too, lol.
captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Post#30 » by captain_cheapseats » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:58 am

tsherkin wrote:Heh, and he has good range on his J, too, lol.

:lol:
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#31 » by Truthiracy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:02 am

We already have the next Larry Bird currently IN the nba
http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profile ... rison.html
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,034

Post#32 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:57 am

Damn dude, Love=Bird? I know it was a joke, but that's just out to start trouble. Now you got Cfan throwin around racial slurs, callin people "whitey". I'm straight outta the trailer park and I take that **** seriously. Okay, so I'm kidding, but this conversation has been had over and over. Comparing any player to anyone else is pure speculation before they show, and bound to make people look dumb in the end. Gerald Green is the next T-mac? Morrison is Bird? Pittsnoggle ate all the hot wings? Who's to judge till the shots have all fallen.
jt142
Rookie

Post#33 » by jt142 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:27 am

cfan79 wrote:Love looks like the next Kevin Pittsnogle. It seems like every year there is a fresh crop of overrated white guys. Morrison, Redick, Hansbrough etc.

Although Hansbrough and Love aren't going to be superstars, I wouldn't call them the next Pittsnogle either.

I think Hansbrough could be a good role-player in the NBA. He reminds me of Mark Madson, which isn't a good thing.

Kevin Love because of his vast array of low post moves has a lot more upside.

Who knows?

But yeah, I'm sick of the Bird comparisons.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 661

Post#34 » by DelMonte West » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:Damn dude, Love=Bird? I know it was a joke, but that's just out to start trouble. Now you got Cfan throwin around racial slurs, callin people "whitey". I'm straight outta the trailer park and I take that **** seriously. Okay, so I'm kidding, but this conversation has been had over and over. Comparing any player to anyone else is pure speculation before they show, and bound to make people look dumb in the end. Gerald Green is the next T-mac? Morrison is Bird? Pittsnoggle ate all the hot wings? Who's to judge till the shots have all fallen.

I just loved the randomnes of that one. :rofl:
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#35 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:01 pm

It's worth noting that no one actually makes these Bird comparisons anymore. It's more or less just people complaining that people do make these comparisons when I can't remember the last time I heard someone seriously compare a white player to Larry Bird.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#36 » by Datruth345 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:11 pm

"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#37 » by JJHondo17 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:21 pm

The 1st next Larry Bird was Leo Rautins.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,080

Post#38 » by UGA Hayes » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:13 pm

People are way too down on Love. I like him a lot if he slims down the way Carlos Boozer did during his college career. Hollinger did a data mining study of college prospects who did well in the pros and projected prospects based on it. In retrospect it looks to be a pretty good predicter. Love ranks third among this years prospects. The only caveat is that his projections are based on a players height which have been known to be tampered with on the college level.

Original article:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft200 ... ateChanged

Prospects at beginning of year excluding freshman:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft200 ... ter-071228

Prospects including freshmen:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft200 ... ter-080131
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#39 » by CelticFaninLBC » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Love's legit and gets compared to Wes Unseld. He's very physical and a great passer.. If he played in the ACC or Big East, he'd get a lot more publicity. ESPN doesn't invest lots of time into the Pac 10... The game's start too late.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#40 » by CelticFaninLBC » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:03 pm

cfan79 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rocking:

Thanks, I don't get all the fuss over Love. Sure he could have some cool nicknames, but he just isn't that good. Raef Lafrentz was a overhyped big whitey and went in the top 5. Meanwhile Pierce slipped to 10.

Unlike Love, LaFrentz is soft.. Try watching Love play..

Return to Boston Celtics