ImageImageImage

Tony has to go this offseason

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Tony has to go this offseason 

Post#1 » by cfan79 » Thu Apr 3, 2008 7:04 pm

He used to be my favorite player, but now he's a shell of the player he could have been because of injuries. It looks as if his body isn't doing what his mind wants it to do. We need to bring in a player to take his position on the team in the offseason.
Egregious Blunder
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Egregious Blunder » Thu Apr 3, 2008 7:05 pm

dear mr. ainge,
if tony goes...i go.
-eB
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#3 » by bruno sundov » Thu Apr 3, 2008 7:22 pm

His contract is up this year, right? Depends on what it takes to sign him. I can't imagine he would command that much out there.
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#4 » by LongTimeFan » Thu Apr 3, 2008 7:23 pm

I'll defer to DA on this one. I think there is no market for him and we can control him for peanuts. If DA still thinks there is a chance he can come back, then fine. If DA still thinks the Celtics have a moral obligation to him, then fine. If he's done, I'm sad to see him go. I loved to watch him take over a game on the defensive end. He was so cool when he went into his zone.

If there is a chance that's coming back, I'd say we could spare a roster spot, or a summer league spot, or a DL spot. I love the way this has been handled. We still have the best record in the league, and we've invested a lot in our future - Allen, Rondo, Powe, Perk & Baby.
MVP16
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#5 » by MVP16 » Thu Apr 3, 2008 7:24 pm

I'd keep him. He's a low cost, medium reward player. Unless TA does something incredible in the playoffs, nobody is going to offer him much. He has had 2 knee surgeries, not a great season and is going to be restricted if the Celtics choose to do so. TA isn't going to get more then 3 million on the market and probably lower then that.

Doc seems to really like TA so the Celtics will probably make an effort to keep him. The first season after an ACL tear is really hard especially for a player with TAs type of game. Just look at how Kristic has struggled this year and his game isn't really based on athleticism as much. I would want to see how TA looks after a full off-season being able to work on his skills (dribbling and shooting) rather then trying to rehab from a knee surgery.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#6 » by GuyClinch » Thu Apr 3, 2008 8:05 pm

Whatever. The OP just wants Tony to go because he doesn't like him. He doesn't HAVE to go anywhere. He can still be a valuable part of our team. I like him and so does Doc.

Pete
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#7 » by sully00 » Thu Apr 3, 2008 8:14 pm

I think that this has played out pretty well for Boston. Tony is still a great defender, he has struggled some offensively more importantly he didn't get to put up big numbers in garbage time, that would have skewed his production. I though he could end up avg 12 a game without providing much more impact that he has. I think now that Boston either gets him back on a deal that starts around his QO or for his QO on a one year deal.

But then again somebody gave Brian Scalabrine 15 mil.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#8 » by armageddon » Thu Apr 3, 2008 8:15 pm

Can Doc really afford to play him important minutes during the playoffs. He still makes stupid decisions every game resulting in unforced turnovers or needless fouls.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#9 » by Prophet_C » Thu Apr 3, 2008 8:29 pm

Egregious Blunder wrote:dear mr. ainge,
if tony goes...i go.
-eB

Is this a serious post? You'll stop being a fan if we lose Tony.

Wow. :nonono:
coach mang
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,401

Post#10 » by coach mang » Thu Apr 3, 2008 8:35 pm

how we can get rid of the starting sg on mangIna's all-soulja team?

uh uh eh

cain't happen

we got

KG
Powe
Posey
TA
Rondo

as all our SOULJA SQUAD

you'd think that by now fools on this board would learn that when you question tone tony toni answer you with seagull bukakkke buggers all on yo face
elrod enchilada
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by elrod enchilada » Thu Apr 3, 2008 8:47 pm

We have no reason to cut Tony loose.

If ge gets an offer from another team, we can match it. It is highly unlikely he will get too much of an offer in view of his injury situation.

If we make him a QO, we get him for another season and then he will be an UFA, and we hold Bird rights. That is fine, too. We get another seasonto see ifhe gets back to form.

Tony has two great problems, and they are related.

First, he takes longer to get over injuries than anyone who does not reside in a cemetary.

Second, his game works when he plays on auto-pilot and muscle memory. When he is out there thinking about what to do, he struggles.

These two are related because it is injuries that get Tony off his game and get him self-conscious on the floor.

During stretches of his rookie season, and last season in the three weeks prior to his ACL injury, Tony was a joy to watch at both ends. He was a lights-out defender and a quality scorer who got to the line at will and was a good mid-range shooter.

I think the chances that Tony will return to that level of play on a consistent basis are below 50-50. It seems like the poor guy simply has nothing but bad luck. And he is 26, so the clock is ticking in terms of potential improvement.

But those three weeks last season as well as periods during his rookie season were mesmerizing. That Tony Allen is a big-time player.

I would keep him around another season to see if that Tony Allen can return. This is the perfect environment for him to re-emerge. If he does, the Cs will become that much more deadly. Players who do what TA has done do not grow on trees.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#12 » by Spin Move » Thu Apr 3, 2008 9:19 pm

I think we can find better bench players then TA, he showed flashes but they were too few, this season he just has not been that good that often, defense is mostly effort we can find better defenders with better offensive games and definitly better decision makers. 2 guards are the easyies thing to pick up late in the 1st round.
thefoulness
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by thefoulness » Thu Apr 3, 2008 9:38 pm

Cut him loose or not, I swear I have never ever seen a player at any level dribble down the court and then run right past his dribble as many times as Tony Allen has this year.

It's unbelievable how bone headed he looks out there sometimes.

Seriously, does he not realize you can't run past your own dribble?

Dude is a turnover waiting to happen. It's ugly, ugly.

Still, he can play some good D and slash, but please keep the ball out of his hands whenever possible.
cfan79
RealGM

Post#14 » by cfan79 » Thu Apr 3, 2008 9:39 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Whatever. The OP just wants Tony to go because he doesn't like him. He doesn't HAVE to go anywhere. He can still be a valuable part of our team. I like him and so does Doc.

Pete

Sure he stops people with his defense sometimes when he's not jumping on them in the act of shooting, but his bonehead moves on the other end totally squash whatever he does defensively.
cfan79
RealGM

Post#15 » by cfan79 » Thu Apr 3, 2008 9:44 pm

armageddon wrote:Can Doc really afford to play him important minutes during the playoffs. He still makes stupid decisions every game resulting in unforced turnovers or needless fouls.

Spin Move wrote:I think we can find better bench players then TA, he showed flashes but they were too few, this season he just has not been that good that often, defense is mostly effort we can find better defenders with better offensive games and definitly better decision makers. 2 guards are the easyies thing to pick up late in the 1st round.

thefoulness wrote:It's unbelievable how bone headed he looks out there sometimes.

Seriously, does he not realize you can't run past your own dribble?

Dude is a turnover waiting to happen. It's ugly, ugly.

Still, he can play some good D and slash, but please keep the ball out of his hands whenever possible.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Yep, we have the best record in the league. As we have seen already. Players will want to come to Boston for a title for cheap. They've done the same with other teams.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#16 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Apr 3, 2008 9:59 pm

Tony only HAS to go if we find a better option.

House,Cassell,Posey,Tony Allen,PJ Brown

will all be possibly gone next year.

If it was just Tony Allen then we might find a decent replacement with our #30 pick.

But we need a player that can bring what Tony potentially bring on this team next year. Posey is also a neccessity to bring back [and hopefully he will decide to return since his personality is the same as this team]

Tony's role on this team = ability to beat his man off the dribble and finish in traffic AS well as beign a great defensively player against the modern day SGs

Don't forget, the ECF is a month away, we could very well have a good Tony Allen for both the ECF and NBA finals and have him be a key roleplayer to a championship ring.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#17 » by Jammer » Thu Apr 3, 2008 11:27 pm

Well, there's opening offers, and final offers.

As I have said many times before, I can see Tony getting a final offer of 5 years for $14 to $15 million total, which is $2.8 million to $3 million per season.

Of course, his initial offer will probably be for less, and for not as many years.

But my guess is the final offer is 5 years for $14 to $15 million.

Or, like Sully says, $2.8 to $3 million per season.

2009 $2.8 Million
2010 $2.9 Million
2011 $3.0 Million
2012 $3.1 Million
2013 $3.2 Million

If Tony thinks that he's gonna be hot stuff he may not want a 5 year offer, and may want a 3 year.

But that xtra $6.3 million for years 4 and 5 in my example above should be hard to turn down for a guy with his history of operations.

I figure that Brian Scalabrine will be traded by early July, so that Tony Allen's agent and Eddie House's agent don't make too big a stink over Scalabrine's contract during negotiations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Celtics already have a deal lined up to move Scal, and are just waiting until July 1 when team rosters open up (and cap room opens up).
elrod enchilada
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by elrod enchilada » Fri Apr 4, 2008 2:05 am

Who on earth would take Scal off our hands, unless we sweeten the pot considerably, or take back someone else's overpaid dead weight?
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,082

Post#19 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Apr 4, 2008 2:47 am

Tony's come back before to silence the doubters. We've all seen what he can do when he is healthy, I'm still cursing the play that f'd up his back against SA. Having someone who can defend like him and get to the rim like he can on the second team is huge, he's just got to be healthy and get his groove back. He's not a heady player, he's an instinct player and a damned good one when not hampered by self-doubt. Perk was once seen as an injury risk, Big Al if you remember was given up on by a lot of people here when his ankles were trouble. It'll be interesting to see if he can get it going with some minutes before the playoffs. If he can get comfortable again, he's an excellent compliment to Powe driving and dishing on the second team.
Scalamental
Sixth Man
And1: 146

Post#20 » by Scalamental » Fri Apr 4, 2008 3:34 am

Egregious Blunder wrote:dear mr. ainge,
if tony goes...i go.
-eB

+1

Return to Boston Celtics